FoodBanter.com

-   -   Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/401256-empty-champagne-wine-bottle.html)

Manda Ruby 10-10-2010 04:11 PM

Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
(great price)

I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.

Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
and it can hold ample volume.

I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
me to call back on Monday at 3PM.

Wondering anyone does the same?

More pourer http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU

I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
"call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

ImStillMags 10-10-2010 04:40 PM

On Oct 10, 8:11*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> (great price)
>
> I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.
>
> Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> and it can hold ample volume.
>
> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. * One is black color
> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. *he told
> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
>
> Wondering anyone does the same?
>
> More pourer *http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU
>
> I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

Manda I use a wine bottle with a unique design. Someone brought the
wine in to the restaurant and they left the bottle. I really liked
the shape of it and brought it home to be my oil bottle. I use a
stopper instead of a pourer though. I feel the stopper keeps the air
out better. I don't fill the bottle all the way with olive oil
either, I just put in what I feel I'll use up in a decent amount of
time so that the oil doesn't go bad sitting
near the heat of the stove.

Here's a picture of the bottle, the cutie next to it is my kitchen
witch, Cookie.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...40483018823522

This is the kind of stopper I use, mine is a commemorative one from
the Clinton library that was given to me as a gift.

http://www.hizzoners.com/shopping

See if you can find a uniquely shaped bottle, keep looking, use a
plain old bottle till you find one that is really cool looking and
fits your personality. They are out there.

sf[_9_] 10-10-2010 06:46 PM

Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:40:19 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Here's a picture of the bottle, the cutie next to it is my kitchen
> witch, Cookie.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...40483018823522

That is an interesting bottle. I can see why you're using it for oil.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Miche[_2_] 10-10-2010 08:06 PM

Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> (great price)
>
> I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.
>
> Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> and it can hold ample volume.
>
> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
>
> Wondering anyone does the same?

I thought you'd given up asking this group for advice.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Goomba[_2_] 10-10-2010 08:43 PM

Miche wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Manda Ruby > wrote:

>> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
>> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
>> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
>> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
>> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
>>
>> Wondering anyone does the same?

> I thought you'd given up asking this group for advice.
>
> Miche

Yeah, but you gotta give her credit that it was the first intelligent
question she's ever posted. Right?
I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
away as gifts.

Manda Ruby 10-10-2010 10:20 PM

On Oct 10, 12:43*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Miche wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Manda Ruby > wrote:
> >> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. * One is black color
> >> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> >> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> >> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. *he told
> >> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.

> >> Wondering anyone does the same?

> > I thought you'd given up asking this group for advice.

> > Miche

> Yeah, but you gotta give her credit that it was the first intelligent
> question she's ever posted. Right?

You talking about intelligence? Hilarious.

> I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
> away as gifts.

Do I give a shit what you do? NO.

Manda Ruby 10-10-2010 11:07 PM

On Oct 10, 8:40 am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 8:11 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>

> >http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> > (great price)

> > I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> > bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.

> > Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> > Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> > and it can hold ample volume.

> > I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
> > and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> > like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> > getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
> > me to call back on Monday at 3PM.

> > Wondering anyone does the same?

> > More pourer http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU

> > I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> > "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

> Manda I use a wine bottle with a unique design. Someone brought the
> wine in to the restaurant and they left the bottle. I really liked
> the shape of it and brought it home to be my oil bottle. I use a
> stopper instead of a pourer though. I feel the stopper keeps the air
> out better. I don't fill the bottle all the way with olive oil
> either, I just put in what I feel I'll use up in a decent amount of
> time so that the oil doesn't go bad sitting
> near the heat of the stove.
>
> Here's a picture of the bottle, the cutie next to it is my kitchen
> witch, Cookie.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...Witch#55264404...

It's very interesting shape of bottle. Mine is exact same color but
bigger without looking bulky. I see some pourer with the cover lid
that just opens up hen the bottle is upside down. After I posted here,
I saw one at Crate and Barrel. It's the third one at the link below:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search...=wine%20pourer

I just called the store (not in my area) and they have it in the
store. I'll be passing through that area in a few days and so I will
pick them up. I just hope it fits the wine bottle I am going to get.
Crate & Barrel has stopper too. I wouldn't mind the stopper either.

The one I have it exactly like that except with no lid. I hope that
their is as good quality one as the one I have.

> This is the kind of stopper I use, mine is a commemorative one from
> the Clinton library that was given to me as a gift.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/shopping
>
> See if you can find a uniquely shaped bottle, keep looking, use a
> plain old bottle till you find one that is really cool looking and
> fits your personality. They are out there.

I like dark color bottle that prevents the light passing through as
much as possible.

news 11-10-2010 12:58 AM

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message

> Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> and it can hold ample volume.
>
> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.

> I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.
> Wondering anyone does the same?

You mean call restaurants and hotels and ask them for discarded wine
bottles? Hahhaha, no. Imagine how the restaurant staff laughed at you after
they hung up the phone!

You might go into an actual wine shop and buy a bottle that strikes your
fancy, or scour the neighborhood the night before recycling day and look in
your neighbors bins.

Manda Ruby 11-10-2010 03:05 AM

On Oct 10, 4:58*pm, "news" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message

> > Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> > Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> > and it can hold ample volume.

> > I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. * One is black color
> > and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> > like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> > getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. *he told
> > me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
> > I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> > "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.
> > Wondering anyone does the same?

> You mean call restaurants and hotels and ask them for discarded wine
> bottles? *Hahhaha, no. Imagine how the restaurant staff laughed at you after
> they hung up the phone!

Speaking from *your* experience? Mine is that they accommodate me.
Yesterday morning, when I called a restaurant in my area , the manager
happened to answer the phone. He told me to call back on Monday
around 3, obviously a time that he would not be busy to talk to me and
tell me how many he has, etc. In the mean time, I decided to try a
hotel in the area and the guy tells me that he has only two and to
call back around 8:30PM tonight. You see, the difference between you
and me is that you don't know to talk to people on the phone and so
they laugh at you.

> You might go into an actual wine shop and buy a bottle that strikes your
> fancy,

Why spend that kind of time when I can get people collect them and
have them ready for me to pick them up.

> or scour the neighborhood the night before recycling day and look in
> your neighbors bins.

In fact, I called a Bevmo in the area even though I knew that they
would not have empty bottles. I don't know why you think they would.

Linda[_5_] 11-10-2010 04:39 AM

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Oct 10, 8:11 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> (great price)
>
> I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.
>

> Wondering anyone does the same?
>
> More pourer http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU
>
> I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

Here's a picture of the bottle, the cutie next to it is my kitchen
witch, Cookie.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...40483018823522

What a beautiful bottle!
Linda

Giusi 11-10-2010 07:09 AM

"Manda Ruby" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
> away as gifts.

Do I give a shit what you do? NO.

Then why did you go to the trouble to come here and ask?

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 11-10-2010 07:35 AM

Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

Giusi took part:

{Goomba wrote}
>>> I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
>>> away as gifts.

{amandaF wrote}
>> Do I give a shit what you do? NO.

{Giusi wrote}
> Then why did you go to the trouble to come here and ask?

amandaF has a list of sworn enemies (including Goomba), and she doesn't care
about what THEY think or do. Everybody else (including you and I) is cast
into the common pool of idiots whose responses may or may not be worth
amandaF's attention after she's deigned to grace our forum with one of her
many penetrating and thought-provoking inquiries.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 11-10-2010 08:33 AM

Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

Steve asked:

>>> I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
>>> away as gifts.

>> Do I give a shit what you do? NO.

> Then why did you ask the pointless question, "Wondering anyone does
> the same?". At least I think that was the question, albeit in the
> rambling Amanda-style.

amandaF wanted to know if other people use wine bottles for that purpose,
but she didn't want to read anything from her enemies, and she doesn't want
to kill them either, so she's hoping that if she heaps abuse on her enemies'
heads they'll stop replying to her.

Wasn't it obvious?

Bob

Goomba[_2_] 11-10-2010 03:46 PM

Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>> Yeah, but you gotta give her credit that it was the first intelligent
>> question she's ever posted. Right?

> Not entirely; most of us can think of a way to get a wine bottle
> that doesn't involve begging for empties.
>

> Janet

Ahso! I was going on the premise that her "question" was if anyone used
empty bottles for oil? Rather than begging restaurants for *their*
empties, LOL.
You are probably on to something here.

blake murphy[_2_] 11-10-2010 07:30 PM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:20:02 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Oct 10, 12:43*pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Miche wrote:
>>> In article

>>> I thought you'd given up asking this group for advice.

>>> Miche

>> Yeah, but you gotta give her credit that it was the first intelligent
>> question she's ever posted. Right?

> You talking about intelligence? Hilarious.
>
>> I collect unusual bottles for my oil and also for limoncello that I give
>> away as gifts.

> Do I give a shit what you do? NO.

that's my girl!

blake

Kalmia 11-10-2010 09:02 PM

On Oct 10, 11:11*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> (great price)
>
> I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.
>
> Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> and it can hold ample volume.
>
> I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. * One is black color
> and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. *he told
> me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
>
> Wondering anyone does the same?
>
> More pourer *http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU
>
> I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

I keep olive oil and canola in those cruets meant for vinegar. You
can control the amount dispensed with each shake.
I also keep some olive oil in a pourspout can meant for EVO.
Then again, I have a large bottle of it so I can get a quarter of a
cup in a hurry.