Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TV's "Country Kitchen" on PBS - barbecued beef ribs

On today's PBS program "Cook's Country" they grilled beef ribs in an unusual
fashion. I've always felt the steam flavor comes most from the early
smoking. Steaming initially?

Any thoughts?

Texas Barbecued Beef Ribs
From the episode: "Beef Meets Grill"

Serves 4.
Ingredients
3tablespoons brown sugar
4teaspoons chili powder
1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
1tablespoon salt
2teaspoons pepper
3-4beef rib slabs (3 to 4 ribs per slab, about 5 pounds total) (see note)
1cup wood chips , soaked for 15 minutes

Instructions
1. MAKE RUB Combine sugar, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper in bowl.
Pat ribs dry with paper towels and rub sugar mixture all over ribs. (Ribs
can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
2. STEAM RIBS Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300
degrees. Arrange ribs on wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet. Add just
enough water to cover pan bottom, then cover pan tightly with aluminum foil
and bake until fat has rendered and meat begins to pull away from bones,
about 2 hours.
3. SMOKE RIBS Tightly seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in
top of packet. Open bottom vent on grill. Light about 100 coals; when
covered with fine gray ash, carefully pile on one side of grill. Arrange
foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered,
with lid vent open halfway, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5
minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat
all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about
15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high, shut other burner[s] off.) Scrape
cooking grate clean. Arrange ribs on cool side of grill and barbecue,
covered, flipping and rotating slabs once, until ribs are lightly charred
and smoky, about 1½ hours. Transfer to cutting board, tent with foil, and
let rest 10 minutes. Serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
> On today's PBS program "Cook's Country" they grilled beef ribs in an
> unusual fashion. I've always felt the steam flavor comes most from the
> early smoking. Steaming initially?

My error: I've always felt that the smoke flavor mostly comes from early
cooking. There ain't no "steam flavor". Most don't steam, though I suppose
one could say a bullet smoker
with simmering water is doing the same thing at a low temp.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2010 14:03, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On today's PBS program "Cook's Country" they grilled beef ribs in an
>> unusual fashion. I've always felt the steam flavor comes most from the
>> early smoking. Steaming initially?
>>

> My error: I've always felt that the smoke flavor mostly comes from early
> cooking. There ain't no "steam flavor". Most don't steam, though I suppose
> one could say a bullet smoker
> with simmering water is doing the same thing at a low temp.

I don't see the point of steaming the ribs for two hours before smoking
them. If you're going to go to the trouble of smoking them for one and a
half to two hours anyway, just barbecue them in a smoker from the get go.

I like a lot of ATK's advice, but the rest of it seems off the wall
sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 8:48*am, Pennyaline > wrote:
> On 10/9/2010 14:03, Kent wrote:
>
> > > *wrote in message
> >> On today's PBS program "Cook's Country" they grilled beef ribs in an
> >> unusual fashion. * I've always felt the steam flavor comes most from the
> >> early smoking. Steaming initially?

> > My error: I've always felt that the smoke flavor mostly comes from early
> > cooking. There ain't no "steam flavor". *Most don't steam, though I suppose
> > one could say a bullet smoker
> > with simmering water is doing the same thing at a low temp.

> I don't see the point of steaming the ribs for two hours before smoking
> them. If you're going to go to the trouble of smoking them for one and a
> half to two hours anyway, just barbecue them in a smoker from the get go.
>
> I like a lot of ATK's advice, but the rest of it seems off the wall
> sometimes.

I'm with you on this one. I'd skip the steaming part entirely.