FoodBanter.com

-   -   Roasted Cauliflower (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/401121-roasted-cauliflower.html)

Betsy 05-10-2010 12:32 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Ophelia[_7_] 05-10-2010 12:48 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Betsy" wrote in message
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I will be trying this one:) Thank you!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Brooklyn1 05-10-2010 01:19 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:32:59 -0500, (Betsy) wrote:

Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

Roast it whole:

This is a very old method, can be dressed with anything of your
choice, I prefer garlic butter and garnished with parmesan... can also
be dressed with cheese sauce
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Capers-236377

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 05-10-2010 02:06 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Oct 5, 7:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
tomato,
maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.

There's a Syrian deli here that sometimes serves it that way.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia[_7_] 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"atec77" wrote in message
On 5/10/2010 9:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I will be trying this one:) Thank you!

I prefer to steam it with a nice white sauce and some pepper

I haven't tried it like that although I always steam it. I usually dress it
with plenty of good butter.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Cheri[_3_] 05-10-2010 06:40 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Christine Dabney" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)

Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
pieces.

I have done this countless times, after reading about it on eGullet,
and even before then. This has been for at least 6 years now..that I
have been cooking cauliflower this way.

True.

Cheri

Brooklyn1 05-10-2010 06:56 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:12:47 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)

Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
pieces.

I have done this countless times, after reading about it on eGullet,
and even before then. This has been for at least 6 years now..that I
have been cooking cauliflower this way.

You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
occured to you until this thread.

JL[_3_] 05-10-2010 07:25 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Betsy wrote:
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Here's an variation i have posted here before.

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons minced garlic

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

salt and black pepper to taste

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a large
casserole dish.

2.Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add
cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.

3.Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan
cheese and parsley, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.

Adjust time and temp. for individual ovens.

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:07 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

wrote:

Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
others will attest to...

Amen, sister!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:09 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
occured to you until this thread.

It browns and that's good enough for me. Roasted cauliflower is very
tasty.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:11 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:06:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
tomato,
maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.

There's a Syrian deli here that sometimes serves it that way.

Cindy Hamilton

Great idea Cindy!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Cheryl[_3_] 05-10-2010 11:35 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Betsy" wrote in message
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

One of my favorite roasted veggies. Green beans are good, too.

Brooklyn1 06-10-2010 12:39 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:09:57 -0700, sf wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
occured to you until this thread.

It browns and that's good enough for me.

Ahahaha . . . . DUMB SHIT IS BROWN TOO, AND YOU'RE NOT SWEET.

Lyndon Watson 06-10-2010 01:35 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Oct 6, 2:06*am, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Oct 5, 7:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
tomato,
maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.

It really is a most versatile vegetable. I have to confess that I
like all the brassicas - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kholrabi -
and brussels sprouits (along with asparagus) have been my favourite
green vegetables since I first tasted them as a child. My mother used
to just boil cauliflower and serve it with a white sauce (none of us
like cheese in cooked dishes); I find cauliflower and broccoli to be
ideal in frittatas or just dipped in batter and fried, or an
ingredient of any savoury dish that needs some body in it. Never
tried baking it, though, so that's on the 'must try' list. . . .

LW

Charlotte L. Blackmer[_2_] 06-10-2010 02:24 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article , Cheri wrote:
"Christine Dabney" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)

Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
pieces.

Yep.

I like cutting largeish florets in pieces and I make sure the cut side is
down on the sheet for EXTRA delicious brown edges.

I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.

It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

Charlotte