FoodBanter.com

-   -   Roasted Cauliflower (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/401121-roasted-cauliflower.html)

Betsy 05-10-2010 12:32 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Ophelia[_7_] 05-10-2010 12:48 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Betsy" > wrote in message
> Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
> ends..
> Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I will be trying this one:) Thank you!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Brooklyn1 05-10-2010 01:19 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:32:59 -0500, (Betsy) wrote:

>Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
>ends..
>Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
>slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
>sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
>pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
>Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
>seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
>minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
>roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

Roast it whole:

This is a very old method, can be dressed with anything of your
choice, I prefer garlic butter and garnished with parmesan... can also
be dressed with cheese sauce
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Capers-236377

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 05-10-2010 02:06 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Oct 5, 7:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
> Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
> ends..
> Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
tomato,
maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.

There's a Syrian deli here that sometimes serves it that way.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia[_7_] 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 5/10/2010 9:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
>>> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
>>> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
>>> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

>> I will be trying this one:) Thank you!

> I prefer to steam it with a nice white sauce and some pepper

I haven't tried it like that although I always steam it. I usually dress it
with plenty of good butter.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Cheri[_3_] 05-10-2010 06:40 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
>>cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

> Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>
> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
> others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
> unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
> caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
> florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
> pieces.
>
> I have done this countless times, after reading about it on eGullet,
> and even before then. This has been for at least 6 years now..that I
> have been cooking cauliflower this way.

True.

Cheri

Brooklyn1 05-10-2010 06:56 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:12:47 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
>>cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.

>Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>
>Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
>others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
>unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
>caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
>florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
>pieces.
>
>I have done this countless times, after reading about it on eGullet,
>and even before then. This has been for at least 6 years now..that I
>have been cooking cauliflower this way.

You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
occured to you until this thread.

JL[_3_] 05-10-2010 07:25 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Betsy wrote:
> Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
> ends..
> Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

Here's an variation i have posted here before.

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons minced garlic

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

salt and black pepper to taste

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a large
casserole dish.

2.Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add
cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.

3.Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan
cheese and parsley, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.

Adjust time and temp. for individual ovens.

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:07 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:12:47 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
> others will attest to...

Amen, sister!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:09 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
> sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
> head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
> occured to you until this thread.

It browns and that's good enough for me. Roasted cauliflower is very
tasty.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 05-10-2010 09:11 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:06:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
> treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
> tomato,
> maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.
>
> There's a Syrian deli here that sometimes serves it that way.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Great idea Cindy!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Cheryl[_3_] 05-10-2010 11:35 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Betsy" > wrote in message
> Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
> ends..
> Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

One of my favorite roasted veggies. Green beans are good, too.

Brooklyn1 06-10-2010 12:39 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:09:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
>> sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
>> head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
>> occured to you until this thread.

>It browns and that's good enough for me.

Ahahaha . . . . DUMB SHIT IS BROWN TOO, AND YOU'RE NOT SWEET.

Lyndon Watson 06-10-2010 01:35 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Oct 6, 2:06*am, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Oct 5, 7:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
> > Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> > slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> > sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> > pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> > Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> > seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> > minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> > roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

> Or, you can skip the seasonings (except for S&P), chop it up, and
> treat it like the bulgur in tabouli--lemon juice, parsley, onion,
> tomato,
> maybe a little mint, maybe a little more olive oil.

It really is a most versatile vegetable. I have to confess that I
like all the brassicas - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kholrabi -
and brussels sprouits (along with asparagus) have been my favourite
green vegetables since I first tasted them as a child. My mother used
to just boil cauliflower and serve it with a white sauce (none of us
like cheese in cooked dishes); I find cauliflower and broccoli to be
ideal in frittatas or just dipped in batter and fried, or an
ingredient of any savoury dish that needs some body in it. Never
tried baking it, though, so that's on the 'must try' list. . . .

LW

Charlotte L. Blackmer[_2_] 06-10-2010 02:24 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >, Cheri > wrote:
"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
>>cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.
>>

> Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>>

> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
> others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
> unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
> caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
> florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
> pieces.

Yep.

I like cutting largeish florets in pieces and I make sure the cut side is
down on the sheet for EXTRA delicious brown edges.

I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.

It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

Charlotte

Cheryl[_3_] 06-10-2010 02:43 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> In article >, Cheri >
> wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:19:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>>
>>>Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
>>>cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.
>>>

>> Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>>>

>> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
>> others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
>> unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
>> caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
>> florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
>> pieces.

> Yep.
>
> I like cutting largeish florets in pieces and I make sure the cut side is
> down on the sheet for EXTRA delicious brown edges.
>
> I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
> juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.
>
> It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me. I've never carbonized
roasted cauliflower. I also like it with slivers of garlic roasted along
with it. I love the taste of roasted garlic when bitten into. As long as
it isn't *carbonized*. :)

Brooklyn1 06-10-2010 03:32 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:43:19 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Cheri >
>> wrote:

>>> Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>>>>
>>> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
>>> others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
>>> unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
>>> caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
>>> florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
>>> pieces.

>> Yep.
>>
>> I like cutting largeish florets in pieces and I make sure the cut side is
>> down on the sheet for EXTRA delicious brown edges.
>>
>> I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
>> juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.
>>
>> It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

>That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me. I've never carbonized
>roasted cauliflower. I also like it with slivers of garlic roasted along
>with it. I love the taste of roasted garlic when bitten into. As long as
>it isn't *carbonized*. :)

Garlic will caramelize, cauliflower will not. If brushed with butter
(or any oil) it will brown from frying but that's not caramelized.

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Charlotte L. Blackmer[_2_] 06-10-2010 03:43 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Cheri >
>> wrote:

>>> Guess you have never tried it this way. ;)
>>>>
>>> Cauliflower most certainly will caramelize...as I and many, many
>>> others will attest to... It doesn't become overcooked and burned,
>>> unless you let it go that far, but before that it certainly does
>>> caramelize. And yes, it will fall apart if you put it into very tiny
>>> florets. If it is sliced or in larger florets, it stays in those
>>> pieces.

>> Yep.
>>
>> I like cutting largeish florets in pieces and I make sure the cut side is
>> down on the sheet for EXTRA delicious brown edges.
>>
>> I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
>> juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.
>>
>> It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

>That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me. I've never carbonized
>roasted cauliflower. I also like it with slivers of garlic roasted along
>with it. I love the taste of roasted garlic when bitten into. As long as
>it isn't *carbonized*. :)

That is a fancy-dan way to describe burning, yes. I was playing off
"caramelize".

Charlotte

sf[_9_] 06-10-2010 05:12 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:39:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:09:57 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >
> >> You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
> >> sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
> >> head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
> >> occured to you until this thread.

> >It browns and that's good enough for me.

> Ahahaha . . . . DUMB SHIT IS BROWN TOO, AND YOU'RE NOT SWEET.

Back away from the vodka slowly.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 06-10-2010 05:16 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 01:24:11 +0000 (UTC),
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> I don't add sugar. I drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and the
> juice of one lemon before it goes into the oven.

I haven't tried lemon. Due to this thread, I have a head of
cauliflower in the refrigerator as we speak awaiting oven roasting and
I'll sprinkle it with lemon. :)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 06-10-2010 05:18 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:35:08 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

> Green beans are good, too.

You're absolutely right. Green beans are good when oven roasted too.
I just bought some sugar snap peas, maybe I should try roasting them.
:)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

jmcquown[_2_] 06-10-2010 06:21 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:32:59 -0500, (Betsy) wrote:
>
>>Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
>>ends..
>>Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
>>slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
>>sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
>>pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
>>Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
>>seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
>>minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
>>roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

> Sliced as you describe the cauliflower will fall apart, and
> cauliflower does not caramelize, over cooked it will burn.
>
> Roast it whole:
>
> This is a very old method, can be dressed with anything of your
> choice, I prefer garlic butter and garnished with parmesan... can also
> be dressed with cheese sauce

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Capers-236377

I love whole roasted cauliflower. I remember before Christy (kilikini) died
giving her a recipe for whole head of cauliflower patted on top with
buttered herbed breadcrumbs, and I do believe it included grated fresh Parm.
Excellent!

Jill

sf[_9_] 06-10-2010 09:00 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 01:27:43 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I do still prefer whole roasted cauliflower as opposed to the florets, but
> hey, whatever the OP wants to cook it is okay with me.

I've never considered roasting it whole. How long, ballpark it, does
that take you?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:06 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article
Lyndon Watson > wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2:06*am, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> green vegetables since I first tasted them as a child. My mother used
> to just boil cauliflower and serve it with a white sauce (none of us
> like cheese in cooked dishes); I find cauliflower and broccoli to be
> ideal in frittatas or just dipped in batter and fried, or an
> ingredient of any savoury dish that needs some body in it. Never
> tried baking it, though, so that's on the 'must try' list. . . .
>
> LW

<waves to Lyndon -- a voice not heard in a long time>
Interesting idea about the frittata; I'll have to give it a try. Mom
made a cauliflower soup, too.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:09 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>

> >You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
> >sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
> >head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
> >occured to you until this thread.

> Yep, I was right. You have never tried it, or you wouldn't be so sure
> it doesn't caramelize..... ;)
>
> Try it.....it might surprise you.
>
> Christine

What's the difference between something simply browning and something
"caramelizing"? Seems like everyone bows to "caramelized." <shrugs>

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:10 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> > It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

> That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me.

LOL! Like "browned" is the low-class term for "caramelize." <eyes
roll>.

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:11 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> In article >,
> Cheryl > wrote:
> >"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> >> It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

> >That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me. I've never carbonized
> >roasted cauliflower. I also like it with slivers of garlic roasted along
> >with it. I love the taste of roasted garlic when bitten into. As long as
> >it isn't *carbonized*. :)

> That is a fancy-dan way to describe burning, yes. I was playing off
> "caramelize".
>
> Charlotte
> --

LOL!

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:12 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

Melba's Jammin' 06-10-2010 04:14 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:
> I haven't tried it like that although I always steam it. I usually dress it
> with plenty of good butter.
> --

I'm with you, O. Some butter and a little s&p do it for me. Better
still, raw.

White sauce and vegetables were when Mom fixed creamed peas and carrots
for pouring over toast or mashed potatoes on meatless Fridays. She
never did cheese sauces on veggies, either. And hollandaise was
absolutely out of her realm. Alex rest her weary soul.

James Silverton[_4_] 06-10-2010 04:28 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Melba's wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:06:44 -0500:

>> On Oct 6, 2:06 am, Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> green vegetables since I first tasted them as a child. My
>> mother used to just boil cauliflower and serve it with a
>> white sauce (none of us like cheese in cooked dishes); I find
>> cauliflower and broccoli to be ideal in frittatas or just
>> dipped in batter and fried, or an ingredient of any savoury
>> dish that needs some body in it. Never tried baking it,
>> though, so that's on the 'must try' list. . . .
>>
>> LW

> <waves to Lyndon -- a voice not heard in a long time>
> Interesting idea about the frittata; I'll have to give it a
> try. Mom made a cauliflower soup, too.

You can also make mashed cauliflower as a variant or substitute for
mashed potatoes. It's not bad but I prefer potatoes :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

James Silverton[_4_] 06-10-2010 04:31 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

Melba's wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:10:44 -0500:

>> "Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in
>> message
> >> It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

>> That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me.

> LOL! Like "browned" is the low-class term for "caramelize."
> <eyes

roll>> .

I think there is some confusion here. You can caramelize sugars but can
only brown cauliflower.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Ophelia[_7_] 06-10-2010 04:42 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> I haven't tried it like that although I always steam it. I usually dress
>> it
>> with plenty of good butter.
>> --

> I'm with you, O. Some butter and a little s&p do it for me. Better
> still, raw.
>
> White sauce and vegetables were when Mom fixed creamed peas and carrots
> for pouring over toast or mashed potatoes on meatless Fridays. She
> never did cheese sauces on veggies, either. And hollandaise was
> absolutely out of her realm. Alex rest her weary soul.

Bless.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

blake murphy[_2_] 06-10-2010 06:02 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:12:00 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:39:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>>It browns and that's good enough for me.

>> Ahahaha . . . . DUMB SHIT IS BROWN TOO, AND YOU'RE NOT SWEET.

> Back away from the vodka slowly.

no, not slowly - he should get a running start and jump out the window.

your pal,
blake

sueb 06-10-2010 06:22 PM

Roasted Cauliflower

On Oct 5, 4:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
> Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
> ends..
> Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
> slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
> sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
> pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
> Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
> seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
> minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
> roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I assume you turn the oven on. What temperature?

Susan B.

The Food Freak 07-10-2010 01:32 AM

I went to Blue Hill in NYC and one of the entrees was a Cauliflower Steak. I really wanted to get it but I didn't because I figured I could just try it at home. I had forgotten about it and thanks to this post, its back on my agenda...thanks for that!

The Food Freak 07-10-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sueb (Post 1535121)
On Oct 5, 4:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I assume you turn the oven on. What temperature?

Susan B.

_____________

Susan, I would turn the oven on to like 400 degrees. Take the cauliflower steak and sear it in a hot pan, like you would a steak. Once you brown both sides, stick it in the oven for 5-10 minutes and you should be ready to roll. Make a little lemon vinaigrette and pour it on top and you're all good!

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 07-10-2010 03:35 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

Barb wrote:

>> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

> Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

The weirdest use I've seen for cauliflower is as a substitute for chestnuts
in nesselrode.

Bob

Melba's Jammin' 07-10-2010 04:19 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

In article om>,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> >> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

> > Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

> The weirdest use I've seen for cauliflower is as a substitute for chestnuts
> in nesselrode.
>
> Bob

Kinda like using white beans in the filling for deviled eggs.

Brooklyn1 07-10-2010 05:14 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

Barb wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote>
>
>> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.
>>

> Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

Not homemade but check the various brands at the stupidmarket... I was
surprised the first time I read the ingredients... so I looked more
carefully and sure enough I coulde see it contained chopped
cauliflower stems. Some brands don't list cucumber at all. There is
nothing about the word pickle that means it must be cucumber, you of
all people should know that most anything can be pickled, anyone too!
heheh

jmcquown[_2_] 07-10-2010 07:02 AM

Roasted Cauliflower

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 01:27:43 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> I do still prefer whole roasted cauliflower as opposed to the florets,
>> but
>> hey, whatever the OP wants to cook it is okay with me.

> I've never considered roasting it whole. How long, ballpark it, does
> that take you?
>
> --

I'll have to dig up the recipe - I think it came from an old Betty Crocker
cookbook. When I moved here I had limited cookbooks at my disposal but
thanks to Margaret Suran for sending me sort of a pocket version of Betty
Crocker :)

This isn't exact by any means, but then again nothing I cook is ever exact.
IIRC after cutting the green stems off the cauliflower I steamed it for
about 15 minutes. Let it cool, then I combined melted butter with
breadcrumbs and various herbs (basil, thyme, sage, parsley) and some grated
parmesan cheese. Pat the crumb mixture on top of the head of cauliflower.
Place it in a pie plate and roast it for about an hour at 350F. You'll know
when it's done - it's fork tender :) It's delicious!

Jill