Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted Cauliflower

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 02:02:06 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> roast it for about an hour at 350F. You'll know
> when it's done - it's fork tender It's delicious!

TY

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:23:28 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Last week I made a yummy spicy cauliflower/coconut/ peanut soup which
> I first ate years back in a restaurant, (the combination sounded so
> surreal I just had to try it).
>
> A head of cauli cut up, a finely chopped onion, 2 potatoes, chicken
> stock; a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, 2" of creamed coconut
> block, grated (canned would be fine but I wanted to use up the block),
> and a Tea spoon of curry powder plus chili and salt.
>
> Soften the onion in the fat from the stock, with the chili and curry;
> add the rest of the ingredients, simmer until the veg are tender and
> whizz it in the processor till smooth.

I love anything with coconut milk and I have cauliflower, so I'm going
to try that. I've never used frozen coconut milk, would you say that
equaled a regular can of coconut milk or less - does it matter? What
kind of chili did you use, fresh or dried? If dried was it ground?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

j_mcquown wrote:

> This isn't exact by any means, but then again nothing I cook is ever
>exact.
> IIRC after cutting the green stems off the cauliflower I steamed it for
> about 15 minutes.

The leaves and thick stems from cauliflower make a wonderful
vegetable; many of the leaves are tender and mild enough for inclusion
in a garden salad, can be minimally cooked like spinach, or finely
sliced and made into slaw. The stems/ribs and tougher leaves can be
diced and are excellent in soups. Long Island farms grew a lot of
cauliflower, in season (now) they are at market in full leaf... since
they are sold by the head (not weight) I would always choose those
with the most greenery. I don't know why people trim away the
greenery and toss it, that's the most nutritious part of the
cauliflower. At market I often see a huge pile of leaves that
shoppers ripped off and left, sometimes I'll ask the produce manager
for a bag and I can have all I want for the picking, makes excellent
cabbage soup... whatever I don't use the deer and rabbits love. I see
folks discard the just picked beautiful beet tops now too, aiiiii!
Even the produce manager shakes his head in disbelief.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:12:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

> Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

<snort>

too late for that. by this point his hair is turning brown, if he has any.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 00:14:58 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote>
>>
>>> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.
>>>

>> Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

> Not homemade but check the various brands at the stupidmarket... I was
> surprised the first time I read the ingredients... so I looked more
> carefully and sure enough I coulde see it contained chopped
> cauliflower stems. Some brands don't list cucumber at all. There is
> nothing about the word pickle that means it must be cucumber, you of
> all people should know that most anything can be pickled, anyone too!
> heheh

what ****ing rubbish:

mt. olive sweet relish: cucumbers, corn syrup, HFCS, vinegar, salt, water,
red bell peppers, the preservatives and shit.

mt. olive dill relish: cucumbers, water,vinegar, salt, red bell peppers,
the preservatives and shit.

heinz Sweet Relish Ingredients: Pickles (Cucumbers, Salt, Calcium
Chloride)High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cabbage (Cabbage, Salt)Distilled White
Vinegar, Natural Flavoring, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate as
Preservatives, Xanthan Gum, Alum, Guar and Locust Bean Gum, Dehydrated Red
Bell Peppers, Extractive of Turmeric, FD&C Yellow No.5 & Blue No.1.
Polysorbate 80.

i don't know what kind of crap you're buying, but i suspect it's more the
crap you're drinking.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PICs: Roasted Cauliflower

Well, the original post got me wondering, and as I had a whole cauliflower
that I'd just bought I decided to try the Cauliflower 'Steaks'.

It was a bit fiddly, but the SO seemed to like the flavour.

I did the same with some large heads of broccoli.

I only used salt, pepper and parmesan....... no garlic as the SO doesn't
like any garlic dishes during the working week :-)

I also had a hankering for some beer battered fish, but it ended up being
some beer battered vegetables instead, including some Oyster mushrooms.

The beer was from a couple nights ago when I had the 'urge' to see if
things had changed and I can stand a beer now, and failed :-(

http://tinypic.com/m/deog1z/3

http://tinypic.com/m/deog20/3

http://tinypic.com/m/deog21/3

http://tinypic.com/m/deog28/3

http://tinypic.com/m/deog29/3

http://tinypic.com/m/deog3r/3

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:07:18 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:12:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>> Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

>> Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

> <snort>
>
>too late for that. by this point his hair is turning brown, if he has any.

I've more hair than your scraggly thin wisps, and nicer... I just
don't have tresses hanging to my ass like a friggin' fag boy... and
unlike you I don't need to have a bikini wax facial and gargle with
Summer's Eve... I have nicer pubic hair than your facial hair. I usta
be a platinum blond with gorgeous curls but that was while I was still
at my mommy's breast. Then over time my hair darkened and for most of
my adult life my hair was brown streaked with blond and not from a
bottle, girls would die for my hair... now I'm back to platinum, thick
and luxurious. I have nice manly chest hair, not like a baboon
assface, just enough curls that the gals enjoy it tickling their
nipples, and other sensitive parts depending on position... normal
women don't like to feel like they're getting boinked by a women with
a strap on or a gorrilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Melba's wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:10:44 -0500:
>
> >> "Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in
> >> message
> >>
> >> That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me.

> > LOL! Like "browned" is the low-class term for "caramelize."
> > <eyes

> roll>> .
>
> I think there is some confusion here. You can caramelize sugars but can
> only brown cauliflower.

Good question! According to the USDA database, raw cauliflower contains
about 2% sugar. I know it turns brown, but is that the sugar, or
something else?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:34:15 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,

>> > LOL! Like "browned" is the low-class term for "caramelize."
>> > <eyes

>> roll>> .
>>
>> I think there is some confusion here. You can caramelize sugars but can
>> only brown cauliflower.

>Good question! According to the USDA database, raw cauliflower contains
>about 2% sugar. I know it turns brown, but is that the sugar, or
>something else?
>
>http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You can brown cheese but that's not caramelized.

When you go out into the sun you burn... when I go into the sun I
caramelize, because I'm sweet! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 20:40:55 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Creamed coconut block isn't frozen; it's just set hard like a bar of
> soap.
>
> http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-.../detail/361630
> _Blue_Dragon_Creamed_Coconut_200g.html

I'm not familiar with that form of edible coconut milk. Live & learn.

> It was just half a bar which is probably the equivalent to half a can.

TY.
> The chili is just dried ground chili from a smkt jar.

OK, so I'll use whatever I have on hand - thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> I've more hair than your scraggly thin wisps, and nicer... I just
> don't have tresses hanging to my ass like a friggin' fag boy... and
> unlike you I don't need to have a bikini wax facial and gargle with
> Summer's Eve... I have nicer pubic hair than your facial hair. I usta
> be a platinum blond with gorgeous curls but that was while I was still
> at my mommy's breast. Then over time my hair darkened and for most of
> my adult life my hair was brown streaked with blond and not from a
> bottle, girls would die for my hair... now I'm back to platinum, thick
> and luxurious. I have nice manly chest hair, not like a baboon
> assface, just enough curls that the gals enjoy it tickling their
> nipples, and other sensitive parts depending on position... normal
> women don't like to feel like they're getting boinked by a women with
> a strap on or a gorrilla.

That was entirely TMI.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 21:24:32 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>> I've more hair than your scraggly thin wisps, and nicer... I just
>> don't have tresses hanging to my ass like a friggin' fag boy... and
>> unlike you I don't need to have a bikini wax facial and gargle with
>> Summer's Eve... I have nicer pubic hair than your facial hair. I usta
>> be a platinum blond with gorgeous curls but that was while I was still
>> at my mommy's breast. Then over time my hair darkened and for most of
>> my adult life my hair was brown streaked with blond and not from a
>> bottle, girls would die for my hair... now I'm back to platinum, thick
>> and luxurious. I have nice manly chest hair, not like a baboon
>> assface, just enough curls that the gals enjoy it tickling their
>> nipples, and other sensitive parts depending on position... normal
>> women don't like to feel like they're getting boinked by a women with
>> a strap on or a gorrilla.

>That was entirely TMI.

You're new here... that's a nothing. Somebody clue in Cheryl... tell
her that has to be one of my tamest. Wait'll someone actually gets me
riled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 22:49:30 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 21:24:32 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..

>>> I've more hair than your scraggly thin wisps, and nicer... I just
>>> don't have tresses hanging to my ass like a friggin' fag boy... and
>>> unlike you I don't need to have a bikini wax facial and gargle with
>>> Summer's Eve... I have nicer pubic hair than your facial hair. I usta
>>> be a platinum blond with gorgeous curls but that was while I was still
>>> at my mommy's breast. Then over time my hair darkened and for most of
>>> my adult life my hair was brown streaked with blond and not from a
>>> bottle, girls would die for my hair... now I'm back to platinum, thick
>>> and luxurious. I have nice manly chest hair, not like a baboon
>>> assface, just enough curls that the gals enjoy it tickling their
>>> nipples, and other sensitive parts depending on position... normal
>>> women don't like to feel like they're getting boinked by a women with
>>> a strap on or a gorrilla.

>>That was entirely TMI.

> You're new here... that's a nothing. Somebody clue in Cheryl... tell
> her that has to be one of my tamest. Wait'll someone actually gets me
> riled.

yeah, you're a real internet he-man.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 13:06:25 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>>

>> > I've more hair than your scraggly thin wisps, and nicer... I just
>> > don't have tresses hanging to my ass like a friggin' fag boy... and
>> > unlike you I don't need to have a bikini wax facial and gargle with
>> > Summer's Eve... I have nicer pubic hair than your facial hair. I usta
>> > be a platinum blond with gorgeous curls but that was while I was still
>> > at my mommy's breast. Then over time my hair darkened and for most of
>> > my adult life my hair was brown streaked with blond and not from a
>> > bottle, girls would die for my hair... now I'm back to platinum, thick
>> > and luxurious. I have nice manly chest hair, not like a baboon
>> > assface, just enough curls that the gals enjoy it tickling their
>> > nipples, and other sensitive parts depending on position... normal
>> > women don't like to feel like they're getting boinked by a women with
>> > a strap on or a gorrilla.

>> That was entirely TMI.

> Sheldon must be the best contraceptive in America.

You bet... no gal has reqested I place a condom on my tongue yet.

>With a resource like that, you don't need Purity Rings.

With a comma like that you must have a speech impediment... with all
that startin' n' stoppin' you probably take three times longer to
orgasm than normal women but you give great head!

Roasted cauliflower [email protected] General Cooking 7 15-10-2010 04:27 AM
REC: Roasted Cauliflower Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 6 05-10-2007 11:31 AM
roasted cauliflower Molly Diabetic 3 06-06-2006 03:08 AM
REC: Roasted Cauliflower Pete Romfh Diabetic 4 25-05-2006 05:19 AM
Roasted Cauliflower Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 10-11-2004 05:09 PM