Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted Cauliflower

Melba's wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:10:44 -0500:

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote in
message
It will carbonize if you leave it in the oven too long.

That's the term for burning? Sounds right to me.

LOL! Like "browned" is the low-class term for "caramelize."
eyes

roll .

I think there is some confusion here. You can caramelize sugars but can
only brown cauliflower.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote:
I haven't tried it like that although I always steam it. I usually dress
it
with plenty of good butter.
--

I'm with you, O. Some butter and a little s&p do it for me. Better
still, raw.

White sauce and vegetables were when Mom fixed creamed peas and carrots
for pouring over toast or mashed potatoes on meatless Fridays. She
never did cheese sauces on veggies, either. And hollandaise was
absolutely out of her realm. Alex rest her weary soul.

Bless.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:12:00 -0700, sf wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:39:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:09:57 -0700, sf wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

You don't know what caramelizing means... cauliflower does not contain
sugar enough to caramelize... you have a better chance to caramelize a
head of romaine. I don't believe you ever roasted cauliflower, never
occured to you until this thread.

It browns and that's good enough for me.

Ahahaha . . . . DUMB SHIT IS BROWN TOO, AND YOU'RE NOT SWEET.

Back away from the vodka slowly.

no, not slowly - he should get a running start and jump out the window.

your pal,
blake
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 4:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I assume you turn the oven on. What temperature?

Susan B.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Member

Location: New York City

I went to Blue Hill in NYC and one of the entrees was a Cauliflower Steak. I really wanted to get it but I didn't because I figured I could just try it at home. I had forgotten about it and thanks to this post, its back on my agenda...thanks for that!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Member

Location: New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb View Post
On Oct 5, 4:32*am, (Betsy) wrote:
Get a whole head of Cauliflower..trim off the green hard leaves and
ends..
Take the whole cauliflower and slice it down like a loaf of bread making
slices of the cauliflower..not too thick...then get a flat baking
sheet.. put some olive oil all over the sheet pan.. and put your sliced
pieces of Cauliflower on it.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and some
Italian seasoning and garlic and then parmesean cheese and a few Italian
seasoned bread crumbs.. Then put that sheet pan in the oven for about 30
minutes and roast it just until the cauliflower is fork tender and
roasted and all caramalized and then take it out and Enjoy..

I assume you turn the oven on. What temperature?

Susan B.
_____________

Susan, I would turn the oven on to like 400 degrees. Take the cauliflower steak and sear it in a hot pan, like you would a steak. Once you brown both sides, stick it in the oven for 5-10 minutes and you should be ready to roll. Make a little lemon vinaigrette and pour it on top and you're all good!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

The weirdest use I've seen for cauliflower is as a substitute for chestnuts
in nesselrode.

Bob

Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Barb wrote:

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

The weirdest use I've seen for cauliflower is as a substitute for chestnuts
in nesselrode.

Bob

Kinda like using white beans in the filling for deviled eggs.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

Not homemade but check the various brands at the stupidmarket... I was
surprised the first time I read the ingredients... so I looked more
carefully and sure enough I coulde see it contained chopped
cauliflower stems. Some brands don't list cucumber at all. There is
nothing about the word pickle that means it must be cucumber, you of
all people should know that most anything can be pickled, anyone too!
heheh
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 01:27:43 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I do still prefer whole roasted cauliflower as opposed to the florets,
but
hey, whatever the OP wants to cook it is okay with me.

I've never considered roasting it whole. How long, ballpark it, does
that take you?

--

I'll have to dig up the recipe - I think it came from an old Betty Crocker
cookbook. When I moved here I had limited cookbooks at my disposal but

This isn't exact by any means, but then again nothing I cook is ever exact.
IIRC after cutting the green stems off the cauliflower I steamed it for
about 15 minutes. Let it cool, then I combined melted butter with
breadcrumbs and various herbs (basil, thyme, sage, parsley) and some grated
parmesan cheese. Pat the crumb mixture on top of the head of cauliflower.
Place it in a pie plate and roast it for about an hour at 350F. You'll know
when it's done - it's fork tender It's delicious!

Jill

Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 02:02:06 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

roast it for about an hour at 350F. You'll know
when it's done - it's fork tender It's delicious!

TY

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:23:28 +0100, Janet wrote:

Last week I made a yummy spicy cauliflower/coconut/ peanut soup which
I first ate years back in a restaurant, (the combination sounded so
surreal I just had to try it).

A head of cauli cut up, a finely chopped onion, 2 potatoes, chicken
stock; a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, 2" of creamed coconut
block, grated (canned would be fine but I wanted to use up the block),
and a Tea spoon of curry powder plus chili and salt.

Soften the onion in the fat from the stock, with the chili and curry;
add the rest of the ingredients, simmer until the veg are tender and
whizz it in the processor till smooth.

I love anything with coconut milk and I have cauliflower, so I'm going
to try that. I've never used frozen coconut milk, would you say that
equaled a regular can of coconut milk or less - does it matter? What
kind of chili did you use, fresh or dried? If dried was it ground?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

j_mcquown wrote:

This isn't exact by any means, but then again nothing I cook is ever
exact.
IIRC after cutting the green stems off the cauliflower I steamed it for
about 15 minutes.

The leaves and thick stems from cauliflower make a wonderful
vegetable; many of the leaves are tender and mild enough for inclusion
in a garden salad, can be minimally cooked like spinach, or finely
sliced and made into slaw. The stems/ribs and tougher leaves can be
diced and are excellent in soups. Long Island farms grew a lot of
cauliflower, in season (now) they are at market in full leaf... since
they are sold by the head (not weight) I would always choose those
with the most greenery. I don't know why people trim away the
greenery and toss it, that's the most nutritious part of the
cauliflower. At market I often see a huge pile of leaves that
shoppers ripped off and left, sometimes I'll ask the produce manager
for a bag and I can have all I want for the picking, makes excellent
cabbage soup... whatever I don't use the deer and rabbits love. I see
folks discard the just picked beautiful beet tops now too, aiiiii!
Even the produce manager shakes his head in disbelief.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:12:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

snort

too late for that. by this point his hair is turning brown, if he has any.

your pal,
blake
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 00:14:58 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Barb wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote

Did ya know that pickle relish contains mostly cauliflower.

Your eyes are getting browner, Sheldon.

Not homemade but check the various brands at the stupidmarket... I was
surprised the first time I read the ingredients... so I looked more
carefully and sure enough I coulde see it contained chopped
cauliflower stems. Some brands don't list cucumber at all. There is
nothing about the word pickle that means it must be cucumber, you of
all people should know that most anything can be pickled, anyone too!
heheh

what ****ing rubbish:

mt. olive sweet relish: cucumbers, corn syrup, HFCS, vinegar, salt, water,
red bell peppers, the preservatives and shit.

mt. olive dill relish: cucumbers, water,vinegar, salt, red bell peppers,
the preservatives and shit.

heinz Sweet Relish Ingredients: Pickles (Cucumbers, Salt, Calcium
Chloride)High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cabbage (Cabbage, Salt)Distilled White
Vinegar, Natural Flavoring, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate as
Preservatives, Xanthan Gum, Alum, Guar and Locust Bean Gum, Dehydrated Red
Bell Peppers, Extractive of Turmeric, FD&C Yellow No.5 & Blue No.1.
Polysorbate 80.

i don't know what kind of crap you're buying, but i suspect it's more the
crap you're drinking.

blake

Roasted cauliflower [email protected] General Cooking 7 15-10-2010 04:27 AM
REC: Roasted Cauliflower Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 6 05-10-2007 11:31 AM
roasted cauliflower Molly Diabetic 3 06-06-2006 03:08 AM
REC: Roasted Cauliflower Pete Romfh Diabetic 4 25-05-2006 05:19 AM
Roasted Cauliflower Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 10-11-2004 04:09 PM