Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with leftover white rice

We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
today. My 18-year-old was home sick, and asked for a hot lunch.

Wok, or in my case, wok-style-shaped-sorta frying pan, add olive oil,
deli ham cut into small pieces, a frozen crushed garlic cube, onion
powder, and black pepper, and cook on high heat, stirring often, getting
the ham pieces just a bit brown and crunchy.

Turn down heat to medium, add more olive oil, leftover rice, more onion
powder, more black pepper, and a soy-sauce-like thing - I used Bragg's
Liquid Aminos. Stir often, add soy sauce until it tastes right. Voila,
homemade pork fried rice.

My son ate the whole bowl, so it must not have been too bad.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in news:8gv5jfFeidU1
@mid.individual.net:

> We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
> the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
> today. My 18-year-old was home sick, and asked for a hot lunch.
>
> Wok, or in my case, wok-style-shaped-sorta frying pan, add olive oil,
> deli ham cut into small pieces, a frozen crushed garlic cube, onion
> powder, and black pepper, and cook on high heat, stirring often, getting
> the ham pieces just a bit brown and crunchy.
>
> Turn down heat to medium, add more olive oil, leftover rice, more onion
> powder, more black pepper, and a soy-sauce-like thing - I used Bragg's
> Liquid Aminos. Stir often, add soy sauce until it tastes right. Voila,
> homemade pork fried rice.
>
> My son ate the whole bowl, so it must not have been too bad.
>
> -S-

Whenever we have fried rice coming up on the menu, I *always* cook the
rice, then lay it out on a tray covered with paper towel, and put it in
the fridge to dry out for about 3 days.

I can't stand gluggy wet fried rice!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote:

>> We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
>> the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
>> today. My 18-year-old was home sick, and asked for a hot lunch.
>>
>> Wok, or in my case, wok-style-shaped-sorta frying pan, add olive oil,
>> deli ham cut into small pieces, a frozen crushed garlic cube, onion
>> powder, and black pepper, and cook on high heat, stirring often, getting
>> the ham pieces just a bit brown and crunchy.
>>
>> Turn down heat to medium, add more olive oil, leftover rice, more onion
>> powder, more black pepper, and a soy-sauce-like thing - I used Bragg's
>> Liquid Aminos. Stir often, add soy sauce until it tastes right. Voila,
>> homemade pork fried rice.

Not worth the trouble... poke fly lice from the same joint where you
got the LO white rice is pretty cheap and much more authentic than
your concoction, certainly a lot less labor, and if you consider all
the ingredients you added yours cost near as much, and you had to cook
it and clean up. My four day old LO white rice gets tossed outdoors
for the critters... actually mine never sees inside my fridge, after
the meal the LO white rice goes directly outside, because a very long
time ago I learned that odds are it would sit in the fridge till it
composts. I'm sure Stan eats his cold the next morning with Heinz red

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Steve Freides" wrote:
>>
>>> We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice
>>> in the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in
>>> there today. My 18-year-old was home sick, and asked for a hot
>>> lunch.
>>>
>>> Wok, or in my case, wok-style-shaped-sorta frying pan, add olive
>>> oil, deli ham cut into small pieces, a frozen crushed garlic cube,
>>> onion powder, and black pepper, and cook on high heat, stirring
>>> often, getting the ham pieces just a bit brown and crunchy.
>>>
>>> Turn down heat to medium, add more olive oil, leftover rice, more
>>> onion powder, more black pepper, and a soy-sauce-like thing - I
>>> used Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Stir often, add soy sauce until it
>>> tastes right. Voila, homemade pork fried rice.

> Not worth the trouble... poke fly lice from the same joint where you
> got the LO white rice is pretty cheap and much more authentic than
> your concoction, certainly a lot less labor, and if you consider all
> the ingredients you added yours cost near as much, and you had to cook
> it and clean up. My four day old LO white rice gets tossed outdoors
> for the critters... actually mine never sees inside my fridge, after
> the meal the LO white rice goes directly outside, because a very long
> time ago I learned that odds are it would sit in the fridge till it
> composts. I'm sure Stan eats his cold the next morning with Heinz red

Mine took five minutes to make, and I didn't have to get in the car to
get it, nor do I think it costs anywhere near what it would have cost
from the restaurant - I put maybe 4 slices of ham into it, figure that's
maybe $1 or 2 worth.

Authentic? Who cares - mine tasted good. I did have to cook and clean
up, I agree. Cleaning out the frying pan took maybe another minute, and
the dishwasher handled everything else.

I hate to throw away food - just rubs me the wrong way when I know that
millions of people go to bed hungry every night. I figure the least I
can do is find a way to use it if at all possible.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Add little milk sugar all is good.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:42:30 -0400:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:

May I ask a probably OT question? Bragg's Liquid Aminos was mentioned
and I wonder why anyone would have it around? I've seen it in Fresh
Fields and our local foood-nut coop but I can't see any advantage over
regular soy sauce (shoyu), of which I keep 4 varieties: regular,
light-colored, black and thin. I even have Ponzu (soy sauce with citrus
juice).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Steve wrote on Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:42:30 -0400:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

> May I ask a probably OT question? Bragg's Liquid Aminos was mentioned
> and I wonder why anyone would have it around? I've seen it in Fresh
> Fields and our local foood-nut coop but I can't see any advantage over
> regular soy sauce (shoyu), of which I keep 4 varieties: regular,
> light-colored, black and thin. I even have Ponzu (soy sauce with
> citrus juice).

I couldn't really tell you - it's what we've used for soy sauce for a
long time, either that or Dr. Bronner's - I think we started with the
latter close to 30 years ago. Maybe it's got less salt? I really don't
know, but somewhere along the way, we either decided it tasted better,
was better for us, or both.

Certainly not OT, either.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:32:31 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> May I ask a probably OT question? Bragg's Liquid Aminos was mentioned
> and I wonder why anyone would have it around? I've seen it in Fresh
> Fields and our local foood-nut coop but I can't see any advantage over
> regular soy sauce (shoyu), of which I keep 4 varieties: regular,
> light-colored, black and thin. I even have Ponzu (soy sauce with citrus
> juice).

it's touted as 'healthier':

Ingredients: Our Bragg Liquid Aminos are made from health-giving, NON-GMO
soybeans and purified water. They are an excellent, healthy, gourmet
replacement for Tamari and Soy Sauce. Not fermented or heated and
Gluten-Free.

Bragg's has a small amount of naturally occurring sodium. No table salt is
added. If less sodium is desired use a 6 oz. Bragg's spray bottle and
dilute with 1/3 distilled water or to taste and then either add in or spray
on food.

Bragg Liquid Aminos contains:

* no chemicals
* no artificial coloring
* no alcohol
* no preservatives
* no Gluten
* Certified NON-GMO

<http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html>

....but i'd take that with a grain of, um, salt. doesn't sound much
different from genuine soy, with the possible exception of 'purified' water
and non-GMO beans. personally, i don't see fermentation as a bad thing.

the bottle looks kinda spiffy, though:

<http://www.fruitsandroots.co.za/products/braggs-liquid-amino>

your pal,
blake

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 8:28*am, Airport Shuttle <Airport.Shuttle.4id...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com> wrote:
> Add little milk sugar all is good.
>
> --
> Airport Shuttle
>
> '' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
> Message origin: TRAVEL.com

==
Better yet...left-over white rice, a dash of salt, some heavy cream,
sugar and cinnamon, mix and serve either cold or warmed. Delicious
rice pudding. Yummy.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> I hate to throw away food - just rubs me the wrong way when I know that
> millions of people go to bed hungry every night. I figure the least I
> can do is find a way to use it if at all possible.
>
> -S-

I always make enough rice to have left overs for breakfast the next day.

And the few times a year i might have Chinese take out at home there's
never any "left overs" to be concerned about. Now LO pizza? that
another story altogether

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2010 9:28 AM, Airport Shuttle wrote:
> Add little milk sugar all is good.

You could add beaten eggs to the milk and sugar and have rice pudding. :-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
> the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
> today.

My MIL used to make breakfast porridge from leftover rice. Even less
flavor than homminy grits, but like grits all of the flavor is what you
put in it and the starch is a base. With cream and/or butter it's not
that different from oatmeal, grits or other hot cereal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <836bcab5-7e7e-4a05-b0fc-

http://www.yourcityride.com)
> > Message origin: TRAVEL.com

> ==
> Better yet...left-over white rice, a dash of salt, some heavy cream,
> sugar and cinnamon, mix and serve either cold or warmed. Delicious
> rice pudding. Yummy.
> ==

I generally heat up some olive oil, throw in the rice, some frozen
onion, some mixed vegetables, some crumbled up Jimmy Dean hot sausage,
and some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and when it's just about
done, toss in an egg and scramble in the pan. Voila--breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/05/2010 11:53 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
>> the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
>> today.

Huevos Sucios
(Dirty Eggs)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup leftover cooked rice, heated to serving temperature
1 or 2 eggs, cooked any style
4 tsp. mole sauce
tortillas, warmed
black beans, heated (optional)

Directions:
Make mole. Heat rice, if necessary. Cook eggs.

Make a bed of cooked rice. Place eggs on top. Cover completely with mole
sauce.

Serve with a side of black beans and warm tortillas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JL > wrote in :

> Steve Freides wrote:
>> I hate to throw away food - just rubs me the wrong way when I know that
>> millions of people go to bed hungry every night. I figure the least I
>> can do is find a way to use it if at all possible.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> I always make enough rice to have left overs for breakfast the next day.
>
> And the few times a year i might have Chinese take out at home there's
> never any "left overs" to be concerned about. Now LO pizza? that
> another story altogether

That's because *everyone* always orders way too much pizza!!

We haven't had takeaway pizza for quite some time, but when we used to, we'd
order a pizza that was usually 3 times too much for both of us, and that way
I'd have a supply of eesy-peesy breakfast in the fridge :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message

> Better yet...left-over white rice, a dash of salt, some heavy cream,
> sugar and cinnamon, mix and serve either cold or warmed. Delicious
> rice pudding. Yummy

That's what my ex-husband used to do with leftover rice. I never tried it.
I like it savory, not sweet. He enjoyed it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 8:02*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> I generally heat up some olive oil, throw in the rice, some frozen
> onion, some mixed vegetables, some crumbled up Jimmy Dean hot sausage,
> and some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and when it's just about
> done, toss in an egg and scramble in the pan. *Voila--breakfast.

Or do it the lazy way - buy some Dutch nasi goreng mixture (I like
Conimex) and a leek and whatever stir-fry vegetables and meat you
like, make up a nasi goreng according to the instructions, add Tabasco
sauce/sambal olek/the paintstripper of your choice, and enjoy.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.yourcityride.com)
>>> Message origin: TRAVEL.com

>> ==
>> Better yet...left-over white rice, a dash of salt, some heavy cream,
>> sugar and cinnamon, mix and serve either cold or warmed. Delicious
>> rice pudding. Yummy.
>> ==

> I generally heat up some olive oil, throw in the rice, some frozen
> onion, some mixed vegetables, some crumbled up Jimmy Dean hot sausage,
> and some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and when it's just about
> done, toss in an egg and scramble in the pan. Voila--breakfast.

That's basically the same approach I took, I think - a bit of meat, a
bit of seasoning, and you're good to go. I've done it with the egg
before and liked that, just forgot about that this time.

-S-

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled Peas View Post
On 10/05/2010 11:53 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

We had leftover, Chinese-restaurant supplied, 4-day old white rice in
the cardboard container it came in in the 'frig when I looked in there
today.

Huevos Sucios
(Dirty Eggs)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup leftover cooked rice, heated to serving temperature
1 or 2 eggs, cooked any style
4 tsp. mole sauce
tortillas, warmed
black beans, heated (optional)

Directions:
Make mole. Heat rice, if necessary. Cook eggs.

Make a bed of cooked rice. Place eggs on top. Cover completely with mole
sauce.

Serve with a side of black beans and warm tortillas.

Yes!! Too many gringos haven't yet discovered the beauty that is rice with eggs.

I also do some variations of this (thai sweet chili sauce, and the like). Rice sups up egg yolk nicely.

I prefer not to throw away food, either. If you're wealthy and have no kids, I guess. But, those of us who have been raised not to waste food and are living on budgets (and don't see animals as equal to humans) have to consume it while it's good.

I just hate unspiced white rice. I always perfer rice to be infused with some flavors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> Liquid Aminos. Stir often, add soy sauce until it tastes right. Voila,
> homemade pork fried rice.

What's in my fridge will have hot gumbo or gumbo-like soup poured over
it. I make extra for just that purpose.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Lots of leftover cooked brown rice? Kalmia General Cooking 19 29-03-2013 12:11 AM
Leftover rice stark General Cooking 72 30-10-2007 06:36 PM
Leftover Rice Desert Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-09-2005 12:05 AM
Stuffed Peppers (Uses Leftover Rice) Dawn Starbird Recipes (moderated) 0 24-02-2004 03:50 PM