Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2010-09-29) NS-RFC: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen (redux)

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Blaming this survey on ImStillMags ;-)

<quote>
ImStillMags wrote:

> IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
>
> Tell me if you agree.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

</quote>

Did a very similar survey about this self-same thing in July of this
year. Of the 63 voters <lol> only 6 of them were pretty sure that their
kitchens would pass such an inspection; 7 others were confident that if
they were forewarned their kitchens would probably make the grade too.
I was not one of those voters <grin>.

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/survey...tml?survey=413

However, in view of the recent revival of "kitchen cleanliness" and the
article Mags posted, I thought it might be time for a "re-run" of this
survey to see if people still feel the same way...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:23:50 +0200:

> Blaming this survey on ImStillMags ;-)

I'm not really sure if I would pass. Perhaps, a tabulation of the
various points might be useful. I can't swear what is my fridge
temperature, unfortunately, I'm a little allergic to cats tho' a liking
is mutual, I've never had rats but I've had mice a couple of times. I
think they came in thro' the garage but I successfully poisoned them. I
expect that I don't keep my refrigerator as clean as I should but I do
clean working surfaces when I finish cooking.

My son was a bit allergic to dogs so we never owned one. Actually, a
friend once came with a Bassett Hound that embarrassed my wife by
finding a number of nearly invisible interesting things to lick off the
kitchen floor.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

[...]

> I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had to
adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to make
them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep cool
were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight to
defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.

> My son was a bit allergic to dogs so we never owned one. Actually, a
> friend once came with a Bassett Hound that embarrassed my wife by
> finding a number of nearly invisible interesting things to lick off
> the kitchen floor.

<laugh>

I wouldn't worry too much - dogs will lick, um, almost anything -
because they can ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:23:50 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Blaming this survey on ImStillMags ;-)
>
> <quote>
> ImStillMags wrote:
>

>> IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
>>
>> Tell me if you agree.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

> </quote>

christ, that woman would likely padlock my door. (not that i run a
ptomaine factory, but they don't fool around.)

your sloppy pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:49:37 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

> I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had to
> adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to make
> them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep cool
> were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight to
> defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.
>

>> My son was a bit allergic to dogs so we never owned one. Actually, a
>> friend once came with a Bassett Hound that embarrassed my wife by
>> finding a number of nearly invisible interesting things to lick off
>> the kitchen floor.

> <laugh>
>
> I wouldn't worry too much - dogs will lick, um, almost anything -
> because they can ;-)

bring 'em here.

(i once saw this comment in a threat about dog-rearing:

My dog no longer has balls. To compensate, I trained him to lick mine.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:48:44 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>I'm not really sure if I would pass.

<snip>

A few years ago, the LA Times (IIRC) had an online test you could take
to grade your home kitchen that was "hosted" by the LA County Dept. of
Health Sciences and Environmental Health. For obvious reasons, it
wasn't nearly as stringent as the rules it applies to restaurants, but
it was fairly comprehensive in a general sort of way. I proudly
display my "A" rating. I tried not to fudge any data (thereby being
even *more* food related), but will admit to erring on my side if
there was data on the fence (and I can't seem to mix metaphors any
better than that). It was fun, and it's fun to have an official
looking "A" stuck to my refrigerator.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:06:49 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:49:37 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

>> I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had to
>> adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to make
>> them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep cool
>> were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight to
>> defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.
>>

>>> My son was a bit allergic to dogs so we never owned one. Actually, a
>>> friend once came with a Bassett Hound that embarrassed my wife by
>>> finding a number of nearly invisible interesting things to lick off
>>> the kitchen floor.

>> <laugh>
>>
>> I wouldn't worry too much - dogs will lick, um, almost anything -
>> because they can ;-)

>bring 'em here.
>
>(i once saw this comment in a threat about dog-rearing:
>
>My dog no longer has balls. To compensate, I trained him to lick mine.)

Your what... that hairy gash on your face... you don't have any balls
either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 29, 9:49*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

> I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had to
> adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to make
> them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep cool
> were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight to
> defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.

Usually if your fridge is starting to freeze the contents it means
your coils need a serious cleaning. If you havent uncovered and
cleaned your refrigerator coils for a while it might be a good thing
to do so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Sep 29, 9:49*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

>> I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had
>> to adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to
>> make them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep
>> cool were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight
>> to defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.

> Usually if your fridge is starting to freeze the contents it means
> your coils need a serious cleaning. If you havent uncovered and
> cleaned your refrigerator coils for a while it might be a good thing
> to do so.

It would appear you're assuming that our fridges are the same design as
yours. I think not.

Both our fridges and the freezer have the coils mounted *outside* at the
back of them and they certainly do not have any covers over them. Our
fridges/freezer are not 'built in' either, so it's no Big Deal to pull
them away from their usual positions against the wall to clean
underneath them, between them and behind them - which Jack helps me do
on a (fairly) regular basis. So the coils are 'right there in the open'
and easy enough to clean too.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:51:27 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> Both our fridges and the freezer have the coils mounted *outside* at the
> back of them and they certainly do not have any covers over them. Our
> fridges/freezer are not 'built in' either, so it's no Big Deal to pull
> them away from their usual positions against the wall to clean
> underneath them, between them and behind them - which Jack helps me do
> on a (fairly) regular basis. So the coils are 'right there in the open'
> and easy enough to clean too.

I wish the coils on my refrigerator were mounted at the back so I
could clean them so easily. I wouldn't even have to move the
refrigerator to do it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:51:27 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> Both our fridges and the freezer have the coils mounted *outside* at
>> the
>> back of them and they certainly do not have any covers over them.
>> Our fridges/freezer are not 'built in' either, so it's no Big Deal to
>> pull
>> them away from their usual positions against the wall to clean
>> underneath them, between them and behind them - which Jack helps me
>> do on a (fairly) regular basis. So the coils are 'right there in the
>> open' and easy enough to clean too.

> I wish the coils on my refrigerator were mounted at the back so I
> could clean them so easily. I wouldn't even have to move the
> refrigerator to do it.

Does make life a little easier having that design, IMHO - and keeping
the coils clean does help lengthen the life of the fridge or freezer
motors/compressors etc. because they run more efficiently. Saves power
too. Heh. I bought my freezer in the late 1980s (think it was
about '88, but it might have been in '89) from a neighbor who was
selling up her stuff and emigrating elsewhere - and it was already a
few years old back then. But I've "looked after it" and it still works
perfectly.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 4:52*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:06:49 -0400, blake murphy
>
> >My dog no longer has balls. To compensate, I trained him to lick mine.)

> Your what... that hairy gash on your face... you don't have any balls
> either.

roflmao

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
>>>
>>> Tell me if you agree.
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

Given that the purpose of the inspection was to see if it met restaurant
standards, the inspector was very fair. The author did not meet the
requirements, plain and simple. Nor would most of our home kitchens.

If you look at the rules, you know you need a working meat thermometer so
that is inexcusable. Looking at our kitchen, we'd have done better, but
would not be perfect. We don't use dish towels (paper instead) but the
sponge would have been points, same for hand washing.