Old 26-09-2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Old 26-09-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

nancy
Old 26-09-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 12:19*pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
methods to clean them.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
(white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
whatever I'm doing must be working.

maxine in ri
Old 26-09-2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

laugh Consider it yours.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 26-09-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/26/2010 10:00 AM, maxine in ri wrote:
On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
methods to clean them.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
(white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
whatever I'm doing must be working.

I wash them out after using them, but I also throw them away really
frequently. James laughs at me for this, but it's just a thing with me.
I probably put out a new sponge more often than once a week, and if a
sponge is left sitting with dirty dishes overnight, it gets tossed.

Now, I *know* that after a dish is cleaned with even the germiest
sponge, it's then RINSED under HOT WATER in my house, so this is a silly
compulsion, but it's my compulsion, and that's that.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandoraís Salted Angelís Cake

Old 26-09-2010, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

I wash them out after using them, but I also throw them away really
frequently. James laughs at me for this, but it's just a thing with
me. I probably put out a new sponge more often than once a week, and
if a sponge is left sitting with dirty dishes overnight, it gets
tossed.

Now, I *know* that after a dish is cleaned with even the germiest
sponge, it's then RINSED under HOT WATER in my house, so this is a
silly compulsion, but it's my compulsion, and that's that.

Not silly at all, IMHO. Heck, they're cheap enough, even where I
live ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 26-09-2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:00:34 -0700 (PDT):

On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use
various methods to clean them.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean
the (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the
dishwasher when it's been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my
house, so whatever I'm doing must be working.

I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few
use the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean
them. I'll have to admit that I don't wash the sponges as often as the
dishes. Squeezing them out and letting them dry on the edge of the sink
seems enough.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 26-09-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/26/2010 12:43 PM, James Silverton wrote:

I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few
use the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean
them.

I would, but I don't have a dishwasher.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandoraís Sweet Angelís Cake
Old 26-09-2010, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:06:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

laugh Consider it yours.

Should have knitted a Sponge Bob Square Pants hat for this one. g
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=281528.0
Old 26-09-2010, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few use
the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean them.

What covered compartment?

Jill

Old 26-09-2010, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

laugh Consider it yours.

Should have knitted a Sponge Bob Square Pants hat for this one. g
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=281528.0

(laugh) Appropriate. Now how about Bikini Bottom?

nancy
Old 26-09-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few use
the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean them.

What covered compartment?

and why would a sponge need to be held down by a lid? I throw mine on
the top rack and it doesn't move around.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised
that so few use the covered compartment in the dish washer
cutlery basket to clean them.

What covered compartment?

I guess not all dishwasher baskets must have them. AFAIR, my dishwashers
have always had a compartment with a cover to prevent small items from
floating away. A sponge that took off and sat on the heater could make a
real mess.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 27-09-2010, 03:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote in message
On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and
use various methods to clean them.

We are very similar-minded at Clan Ranger; we use sponges regularly and,
depending on the need, methods vary accordingly.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
(white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from the MW,
you're more careful after that.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
whatever I'm doing must be working.

We're more Libertarian at Clan Ranger. If we like you, we take extra care to
bring you back. If, OTOH, we don't think you are worth the effort...

The Ranger

Old 27-09-2010, 04:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised
that so few use the covered compartment in the dish washer
cutlery basket to clean them.

What covered compartment?

I guess not all dishwasher baskets must have them. AFAIR, my dishwashers
have always had a compartment with a cover to prevent small items from
floating away. A sponge that took off and sat on the heater could make a
real mess.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Sorry, I've never seen a dishwasher that had a covered compartment. The
current one has wine racks - something to hold the stems so the glasses
don't break. No covered compartments for the cutlerly or to prevent sponges
from floating I wash sponges in the washing machine, not the dishwasher.

Jill

2010 Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial 2010 Bi!! Wine 0 26-11-2012 04:49 PM
Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original Superprotein bars (Dec 25, 2010) Manda Ruby General Cooking 56 24-01-2011 03:07 AM
(2010-09-29) NS-RFC: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen (redux) ChattyCathy General Cooking 12 02-10-2010 05:16 AM
Sponges OldGreyBob Sourdough 1 29-10-2006 12:48 AM
Mildew in potscrubbers and sponges Remsleep Cooking Equipment 4 07-09-2006 10:35 PM