FoodBanter.com

-   -   (2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/400884-2010-09-26-ns.html)

ChattyCathy 26-09-2010 05:19 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Nancy Young[_2_] 26-09-2010 05:40 PM

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

nancy

maxine in ri 26-09-2010 06:00 PM

On Sep 26, 12:19*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
methods to clean them.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
(white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
whatever I'm doing must be working.

maxine in ri

ChattyCathy 26-09-2010 06:06 PM

Nancy Young wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

> I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

<laugh> Consider it yours.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Serene Vannoy 26-09-2010 06:30 PM

On 09/26/2010 10:00 AM, maxine in ri wrote:
> On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

> Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
> methods to clean them.
>
> I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
> (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
> been wiping up after raw meat or fish.
>
> Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
> whatever I'm doing must be working.

I wash them out after using them, but I also throw them away really
frequently. James laughs at me for this, but it's just a thing with me.
I probably put out a new sponge more often than once a week, and if a
sponge is left sitting with dirty dishes overnight, it gets tossed.

Now, I *know* that after a dish is cleaned with even the germiest
sponge, it's then RINSED under HOT WATER in my house, so this is a silly
compulsion, but it's my compulsion, and that's that.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandora’s Salted Angel’s Cake

ChattyCathy 26-09-2010 06:34 PM

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> I wash them out after using them, but I also throw them away really
> frequently. James laughs at me for this, but it's just a thing with
> me. I probably put out a new sponge more often than once a week, and
> if a sponge is left sitting with dirty dishes overnight, it gets
> tossed.
>
> Now, I *know* that after a dish is cleaned with even the germiest
> sponge, it's then RINSED under HOT WATER in my house, so this is a
> silly compulsion, but it's my compulsion, and that's that.

Not silly at all, IMHO. Heck, they're cheap enough, even where I
live ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

James Silverton[_4_] 26-09-2010 08:43 PM

maxine wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:00:34 -0700 (PDT):

> On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

> Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use
> various methods to clean them.

> I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean
> the (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the
> dishwasher when it's been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

> Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my
> house, so whatever I'm doing must be working.

I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few
use the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean
them. I'll have to admit that I don't wash the sponges as often as the
dishes. Squeezing them out and letting them dry on the edge of the sink
seems enough.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Serene Vannoy 26-09-2010 08:53 PM

On 09/26/2010 12:43 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few
> use the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean
> them.

I would, but I don't have a dishwasher.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandora’s Sweet Angel’s Cake

Brooklyn1 26-09-2010 09:10 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:06:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

>> I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

><laugh> Consider it yours.

Should have knitted a Sponge Bob Square Pants hat for this one. <g>
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=281528.0

jmcquown[_2_] 26-09-2010 09:40 PM

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few use
> the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean them.

What covered compartment?

Jill

Nancy Young[_2_] 26-09-2010 09:44 PM

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:06:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I'll take the ribbon, it's my only chance of getting one!

>> <laugh> Consider it yours.

> Should have knitted a Sponge Bob Square Pants hat for this one. <g>
> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=281528.0

(laugh) Appropriate. Now how about Bikini Bottom?

nancy

sf[_9_] 26-09-2010 10:04 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few use
> > the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean them.

> What covered compartment?

and why would a sponge need to be held down by a lid? I throw mine on
the top rack and it doesn't move around.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

James Silverton[_4_] 27-09-2010 01:10 AM

jmcquown wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised
>> that so few use the covered compartment in the dish washer
>> cutlery basket to clean them.

> What covered compartment?

I guess not all dishwasher baskets must have them. AFAIR, my dishwashers
have always had a compartment with a cover to prevent small items from
floating away. A sponge that took off and sat on the heater could make a
real mess.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

The Ranger[_2_] 27-09-2010 03:43 AM

maxine in ri > wrote in message
On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>

> Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and
> use various methods to clean them.

We are very similar-minded at Clan Ranger; we use sponges regularly and,
depending on the need, methods vary accordingly.

> I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
> (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
> been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from the MW,
you're more careful after that. :)

> Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
> whatever I'm doing must be working.

We're more Libertarian at Clan Ranger. If we like you, we take extra care to
bring you back. If, OTOH, we don't think you are worth the effort...

The Ranger

jmcquown[_2_] 27-09-2010 04:04 AM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0400:
>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised
>>> that so few use the covered compartment in the dish washer
>>> cutlery basket to clean them.

>> What covered compartment?

> I guess not all dishwasher baskets must have them. AFAIR, my dishwashers
> have always had a compartment with a cover to prevent small items from
> floating away. A sponge that took off and sat on the heater could make a
> real mess.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Sorry, I've never seen a dishwasher that had a covered compartment. The
current one has wine racks - something to hold the stems so the glasses
don't break. No covered compartments for the cutlerly or to prevent sponges
from floating ;) I wash sponges in the washing machine, not the dishwasher.

Jill

Carmen 1957 27-09-2010 04:32 AM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

I soak mine in bleach water...

sf[_9_] 27-09-2010 05:39 AM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:55:47 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Mine is a Kenmore, too. It doesn't have a covered anything. It's also
> stainless steel which I dislike. Were I to redecorate the kitchen I
> wouldn't choose stainless.

If you dislike stainless steel that much, ask Sears about a
replacement front. It's not impossible to do. You pop out one panel
and put in another.

FYI, I found out recently that silicone spray is the perfect ss
"polish"... water and fingerprints don't adhere when you use it. I
learned that from the people who maintain the interstate rest stops at
the Bonneville Salt Flats. I haven't put theory into practice yet
although that's what they said they use (showed me a can) and their
rest stops look great.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

jmcquown[_2_] 27-09-2010 11:00 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:55:47 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mine is a Kenmore, too. It doesn't have a covered anything. It's also
>> stainless steel which I dislike. Were I to redecorate the kitchen I
>> wouldn't choose stainless.

> If you dislike stainless steel that much, ask Sears about a
> replacement front. It's not impossible to do. You pop out one panel
> and put in another.
>
> FYI, I found out recently that silicone spray is the perfect ss
> "polish"... water and fingerprints don't adhere when you use it. I
> learned that from the people who maintain the interstate rest stops at
> the Bonneville Salt Flats. I haven't put theory into practice yet
> although that's what they said they use (showed me a can) and their
> rest stops look great.
>
> --

I never said I disliked it so much as to pay to change the front panel.
(There isn't a Sears within 50 miles.) I'm not doing a kitchen remodel, but
if I did I wouldn't choose stainless appliances. I also don't want granite
countertops. Seems like everyone on HGTV wants stainless steel and granite.
Sorry, but that's not for me.

I use Bartenders Friend to clean my stainless Revere cookware :)

Jill

ChattyCathy 27-09-2010 03:59 PM

The Ranger wrote:

> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from
> the MW, you're more careful after that. :)

I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff - and
I always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at
boiling point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I
thought they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized.
Guess I was wrong <laugh>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Ophelia[_7_] 27-09-2010 04:19 PM

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>

>> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from
>> the MW, you're more careful after that. :)

> I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
> sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff - and
> I always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at
> boiling point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I
> thought they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized.
> Guess I was wrong <laugh>

Well if you are wrong.. then so am I! In fact I assumed they would catch
fire once dry. I am interested in the facts about
this.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

jack 27-09-2010 04:33 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:59:53 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>

>> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from the
>> MW, you're more careful after that. :)

> I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
> sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff - and I
> always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at boiling
> point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I thought
> they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized. Guess I was
> wrong <laugh>

Might this have something to do with the 'No Foreign Objects in my
Microwave' rule? If that rule can be waived for sponges, I've got a couple
of other interesting objects in need of pasteurizing (couple of seconds
you can't call sterilizing, but pasteurizing can be done in 0.1 second or
so at 212F)

-j

blake murphy[_2_] 27-09-2010 04:34 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 15:43:40 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> maxine wrote on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:00:34 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

>> Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use
>> various methods to clean them.

>> I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean
>> the (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the
>> dishwasher when it's been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

>> Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my
>> house, so whatever I'm doing must be working.

> I'm with the majority in having sponges but I am surprised that so few
> use the covered compartment in the dish washer cutlery basket to clean
> them. I'll have to admit that I don't wash the sponges as often as the
> dishes. Squeezing them out and letting them dry on the edge of the sink
> seems enough.

this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment' in the
silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

your pal,
blake

ChattyCathy 27-09-2010 05:09 PM

jack wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:59:53 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>

>>> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from
>>> the MW, you're more careful after that. :)

>> I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
>> sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff -
>> and I always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at
>> boiling point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I
>> thought they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized.
>> Guess I was wrong <laugh>

> Might this have something to do with the 'No Foreign Objects in my
> Microwave' rule?

Yes

> If that rule can be waived for sponges, I've got a
> couple of other interesting objects in need of pasteurizing (couple of
> seconds you can't call sterilizing, but pasteurizing can be done in
> 0.1 second or so at 212F)

No
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Nancy Young[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:09 PM

blake murphy wrote:

> this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment'
> in the silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

It's a flap over the silverware part, you can leave it up or put
it down. If you put it down, it has slots for you to put your
forks and spoons. If you're squeamish about dirty dishes,
don't click on this!!

http://tinypic.com/r/14ukx8j/7

nancy

sf[_9_] 27-09-2010 05:25 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:34:08 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment' in the
> silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

I have, but they were something you'd buy separately to use in the
dishwasher. I've seen them in the "baby department" and they were
meant for bottle nipples, binkies... light stuff like that. There's
no need to lock in a sponge, it doesn't bounce around - especially
after it's water laden.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 27-09-2010 05:29 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:09:15 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
> > this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment'
> > in the silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

> It's a flap over the silverware part, you can leave it up or put
> it down. If you put it down, it has slots for you to put your
> forks and spoons. If you're squeamish about dirty dishes,
> don't click on this!!
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/14ukx8j/7

I see now that it's to help keep flatware pieces separated. I was
thinking in the old fashioned terms of keeping light items in the
basket.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Ophelia[_7_] 27-09-2010 05:33 PM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment'
>> in the silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

> It's a flap over the silverware part, you can leave it up or put
> it down. If you put it down, it has slots for you to put your
> forks and spoons. If you're squeamish about dirty dishes,
> don't click on this!!
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/14ukx8j/7

Yes! Just like mine:)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

sf[_9_] 27-09-2010 05:35 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:19:11 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Well if you are wrong.. then so am I! In fact I assumed they would catch
> fire once dry. I am interested in the facts about
> this.

I didn't think that they would melt, but like CC, I thought they'd
need more time in boiling water to be sanitized. In any case, I don't
expect a sponge to be sanitary *ever* so I don't use one to wash my
dishes. I use a dish brush to get the crud off and put them into the
dishwasher after that.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Nancy Young[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:42 PM

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:09:15 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment'
>>> in the silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

>> It's a flap over the silverware part, you can leave it up or put
>> it down. If you put it down, it has slots for you to put your
>> forks and spoons. If you're squeamish about dirty dishes,
>> don't click on this!!
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/r/14ukx8j/7
>>

> I see now that it's to help keep flatware pieces separated. I was
> thinking in the old fashioned terms of keeping light items in the
> basket.

I have put things in there for that purpose.

nancy

Brooklyn1 27-09-2010 06:32 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:59:53 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>The Ranger wrote:
>

>> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from
>> the MW, you're more careful after that. :)

>I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
>sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff - and
>I always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at
>boiling point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I
>thought they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized.
>Guess I was wrong <laugh>

Typical household sponges are made of cellulose... they won't last
long exposed to harsh chemicals, most especially caustics like bleach
and dishwasher compounds, and they don't fare well exposed to high
temperatures, ie. boiling, and they don't survive laundry detrergent.
The best way to sanitize a cellulose sponge is to wash it well with
soap and water, rinse, squeeze out excess, and hang outdoors on a
sunny day... UV is one of the best sanitizers... also a great way to
sanitize wooden cutting boards... and so far sunlight is free. There
are also UV wands that can be used to effectively sanitize kitchen
counters... all my well water is UV sanitized, so is the air in my
house. Why do you think solar research is practically at a
standstill... pure politics... could have done away with fossil fuel
50 years ago, yoose really think there are no more like Edison, Bell,
Marconi, Tesla, etal.? The billions BP used to clean an oil spill
would have funded solar research to free us from fossil fuels... pure
science is the most underfunded commodity on the planet... war costs
much more and accomplishes nothing.

ChattyCathy 27-09-2010 07:33 PM

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:59:53 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>The Ranger wrote:
>>

>>> We also nuke our sponges. The first time you take it out fresh from
>>> the MW, you're more careful after that. :)

>>I'm quite intrigued by this nuke 'em thing. They're well, imitation
>>sponge and (I assume) are made from some sort of plastic-y stuff - and
>>I always thought killing bacterial lifeforms needed more time (at
>>boiling point of water) than would be good for the sponge. In fact, I
>>thought they would 'melt' before they were sufficiently sanitized.
>>Guess I was wrong <laugh>

> Typical household sponges are made of cellulose...

Not the ones I use (that's why I said 'imitation sponge'). I buy these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Urethane_sponge1.jpg

And there are also 'anti-bacterial' ones available here now <g>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Cheryl[_3_] 27-09-2010 11:48 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I never said I disliked it so much as to pay to change the front panel.
> (There isn't a Sears within 50 miles.) I'm not doing a kitchen remodel,
> but if I did I wouldn't choose stainless appliances. I also don't want
> granite countertops. Seems like everyone on HGTV wants stainless steel
> and granite. Sorry, but that's not for me.

And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen. I've
never had stainless big appliances, so maybe over time it would be a pain to
keep looking nice, but I don't have that experience yet. Maybe I should
research more. I've been replacing all of my small appliances with SS as
they break down. I had planned to replace my dishwasher and range with SS
in that order. Then the fridge, but that's much newer than the rest of the
appliances so I might have to have an oddball for a while.

notbob 27-09-2010 11:53 PM

On 2010-09-27, Cheryl > wrote:

> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen.

Enamel is so much easier to clean and maintain.

nb

jmcquown[_2_] 28-09-2010 01:30 AM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-09-27, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen.

> Enamel is so much easier to clean and maintain.
>
> nb

Exactly. I'd rather have enamel appliances. I really don't understand the
entire fascination with stainless steel. It's not stainless at all.

Jill

Catmandy (Sheryl) 28-09-2010 01:47 AM

On Sep 27, 8:30*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> > On 2010-09-27, Cheryl > wrote:

> >> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen.

> > Enamel is so much easier to clean and maintain.

> > nb

> Exactly. *I'd rather have enamel appliances. *I really don't understand the
> entire fascination with stainless steel. *It's not stainless at all.
>
> Jill

in fact, quite the opposite. I find it to look cold and uninviting.
It's industrial, not homey. Don't like it at all. I hate those people
on HGTV! I find myself watching "Property Virgins" frequently... it's
one of those programs I love to hate. Whenever one of those home-
buying couples says "Ut-oh, we'll have to replace those counters with
granite... and those appliances are kind of dated" I want to throw
something at them (until I realize they aren't actually in my living
room and I would have to pay to replace the tv if it broke). I think
I might like granite if I baked a lot of bread and pastry, which I
don't. Again, I find it cold and uninviting. I have a feeling most
people think they want it because they've been told they should want
it, but it's my belief that most of those people on HGTV don't know
any better. If they actually thought about it... they wouldn't like
it. I laugh when I see those gel mats for sale in places like Bed Bath
and Beyond. Linoleum over wood flooring was put into home kitchens
because it's more comfortable to stand on and walk on for hours while
working in a kitchen than the type of industrial tile flooring you
find in restaurant kitchens. If people would stop building "trophy"
kitchens, and build kitchens that are designed to be lived in, rather
than looked at, they wouldn't need gel-mats for the floors.

Give me a 1950's retro kitchen, with metal enameled cabinets (Pink,
turquoise or cherry red!) and matching appliances, trimmed in chrome,
Formica counter tops and a shiny linoleum speckled floor, and I'd be a
very happy camper.

Brooklyn1 28-09-2010 06:19 AM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:30:36 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2010-09-27, Cheryl > wrote:
>>
>>> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen.

>> Enamel is so much easier to clean and maintain.
>>
>> nb

>Exactly. I'd rather have enamel appliances. I really don't understand the
>entire fascination with stainless steel. It's not stainless at all.

Stainless has the commercial/institutional look, Allows folks to
convince themslves and present themselves they're professional
cooks... however 90% of the time they eat out or do take out and the
othe r 10% at home they do microwave... kinda like how some folks buy
a baby grand to decorate their parlor although they have a tin ear and
can't play a note.

Giusi 28-09-2010 08:20 AM

"Cheryl" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen. I've
> never had stainless big appliances, so maybe over time it would be a pain
> to keep looking nice, but I don't have that experience yet.

I do have that experience and find it no burden. You work, things get
dirty, you clean them. It's no harder to clean them in SS and maybe a bit
easier in some cases. People sometimes talk of fingerprints, but a swipe
with anything removes those unless they are dirty. If they are dirty I want
to know theyìre there and clean them.

Not just for SS but for lots of surfaces I use a Villeda cloth that
resembles chamois but is made of microfiber. It cleans most everything.
Glass use a moist one followed by a dry one... no chemicals required. Scrub
the stove with a soapy cloth, wipe, then swipe with the chamois and SS
gleams. Even the inside of the DW is SS.

J. Clarke[_2_] 28-09-2010 11:29 AM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

In article >,
says...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>

> > I never said I disliked it so much as to pay to change the front panel.
> > (There isn't a Sears within 50 miles.) I'm not doing a kitchen remodel,
> > but if I did I wouldn't choose stainless appliances. I also don't want
> > granite countertops. Seems like everyone on HGTV wants stainless steel
> > and granite. Sorry, but that's not for me.

> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen. I've
> never had stainless big appliances, so maybe over time it would be a pain to
> keep looking nice, but I don't have that experience yet. Maybe I should
> research more. I've been replacing all of my small appliances with SS as
> they break down. I had planned to replace my dishwasher and range with SS
> in that order. Then the fridge, but that's much newer than the rest of the
> appliances so I might have to have an oddball for a while.

You don't want stainless appliances for the same reason that most
surviving DeLoreans have been painted. Large stainless steel surfaces
are perfect showcases for dirt, and your options for cleaning are
limited because just about anything that's at all abrasive will leave
visible marks.

Giusi 28-09-2010 11:47 AM

"J. Clarke" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> You don't want stainless appliances for the same reason that most
> surviving DeLoreans have been painted. Large stainless steel surfaces
> are perfect showcases for dirt, and your options for cleaning are
> limited because just about anything that's at all abrasive will leave
> visible marks.

I never drive my refrigerator except in the finest weather. It's clean.

biig 28-09-2010 01:30 PM

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
methods to clean them.

I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
(white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
been wiping up after raw meat or fish.

Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
whatever I'm doing must be working.

maxine in ri

I only use mine to wash the dishes. I buy them at the dollar store in
pkgs of four. They have a woven/crocheted covering and I toss them after
they start to wear. I rinse them out in the dish water after each
use.....Sharon in Canada