Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> And my taste leans toward stainless for everything in the kitchen. I've
>> never had stainless big appliances, so maybe over time it would be a pain
>> to keep looking nice, but I don't have that experience yet.

> I do have that experience and find it no burden. You work, things get
> dirty, you clean them. It's no harder to clean them in SS and maybe a bit
> easier in some cases. People sometimes talk of fingerprints, but a swipe
> with anything removes those unless they are dirty. If they are dirty I
> want to know theyėre there and clean them.
>
> Not just for SS but for lots of surfaces I use a Villeda cloth that
> resembles chamois but is made of microfiber. It cleans most everything.
> Glass use a moist one followed by a dry one... no chemicals required.
> Scrub the stove with a soapy cloth, wipe, then swipe with the chamois and
> SS gleams. Even the inside of the DW is SS.

Same here! I could have written that myself!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>> Scrub the stove with a soapy cloth, wipe, then swipe with the chamois and

> Same here! I could have written that myself!

Must be the "Olde World" knowledge, yes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>>> Scrub the stove with a soapy cloth, wipe, then swipe with the chamois
>>> and >> SS gleams. Even the inside of the DW is SS.

>> Same here! I could have written that myself!

> Must be the "Olde World" knowledge, yes?

Must be

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:20:38 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> Not just for SS but for lots of surfaces I use a Villeda cloth that
> resembles chamois but is made of microfiber. It cleans most everything.
> Glass use a moist one followed by a dry one... no chemicals required. Scrub
> the stove with a soapy cloth, wipe, then swipe with the chamois and SS
> gleams. Even the inside of the DW is SS.

I like stainless steel too. It goes with everything and never goes
out of style the way colors do.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:47:38 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "J. Clarke" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > You don't want stainless appliances for the same reason that most
> > surviving DeLoreans have been painted. Large stainless steel surfaces
> > are perfect showcases for dirt, and your options for cleaning are
> > limited because just about anything that's at all abrasive will leave
> > visible marks.
> >

> I never drive my refrigerator except in the finest weather. It's clean.

No bugs on your windshield? Lucky you! They're a real PITA.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:09:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> this is the second time someone referred to a 'covered compartment'
>> in the silverware tray, but i've never seen one.

> It's a flap over the silverware part, you can leave it up or put
> it down. If you put it down, it has slots for you to put your
> forks and spoons. If you're squeamish about dirty dishes,
> don't click on this!!
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/14ukx8j/7
>
> nancy

ah, o.k. the only dishwashers i've had had a basket-type thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Most people don't clean as they go, so they have big, congealed messes> to
> clean up after they finish cooking. I can't stand grease
> splatters, for instance, so I take care of them up as I cook and> general
> clean up is minimal when I'm finished.

I have no idea how I compare to others in terms of messiness or cleanliness.
A lot is dictated by the kitchen in which you work. Mine is compact with
one sink, so I can't stack dirty dishes in it. I try to have DW empty so I
can rinse and fill, but I certainly don't stop cooking to clean fat spatters
off.

> As far as abrasives> go, we had ss in my childhood kitchen and I think my
> mother did use
> abrasives on every surface... I think the abrasives put a nice patina
> on ss. People seem to want everything to look like it just came out
> of the box these days and are afraid of scratches, when in fact enough
> scratches will improve the appearance of the object.

When I designed that was my mantra "you are patinating!" "Do you want to be
the only thing in your kitchen that is aging?" OTH, I don't use many
abrasives because they are usually chemical bound. Occasionally for a
stained pot bottom. Otherwise it's those scrubby things and dish detergent
only. Copper is cleaned with lemon halves and salt. Microfiber cloths do
fine polishing. Being allergic to a lot of thing takes you right back to
basics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> When I designed that was my mantra "you are patinating!" "Do you want to
> be the only thing in your kitchen that is aging?" OTH, I don't use many
> abrasives because they are usually chemical bound. Occasionally for a
> stained pot bottom. Otherwise it's those scrubby things and dish
> detergent only. Copper is cleaned with lemon halves and salt. Microfiber
> cloths do fine polishing. Being allergic to a lot of thing takes you
> right back to basics.

Microfibre cloths have been a saviour for me! I have chronic asthma and
used to have to wear a mask when cleaning with sprays and chemicals.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote:
>"sf" > wrote:
>
>> Most people don't clean as they go, so they have big, congealed messes> to
>> clean up after they finish cooking. I can't stand grease
>> splatters, for instance, so I take care of them up as I cook and general
>> clean up is minimal when I'm finished.

>I have no idea how I compare to others in terms of messiness or cleanliness.
>A lot is dictated by the kitchen in which you work. Mine is compact with
>one sink, so I can't stack dirty dishes in it. I try to have DW empty so I
>can rinse and fill, but I certainly don't stop cooking to clean fat spatters
>off.
>
>> As far as abrasives> go, we had ss in my childhood kitchen and I think my
>> mother did use
>> abrasives on every surface... I think the abrasives put a nice patina
>> on ss. People seem to want everything to look like it just came out
>> of the box these days and are afraid of scratches, when in fact enough
>> scratches will improve the appearance of the object.

>When I designed that was my mantra "you are patinating!" "Do you want to be
>the only thing in your kitchen that is aging?" OTH, I don't use many
>abrasives because they are usually chemical bound. Occasionally for a
>stained pot bottom. Otherwise it's those scrubby things and dish detergent
>only. Copper is cleaned with lemon halves and salt. Microfiber cloths do
>fine polishing. Being allergic to a lot of thing takes you right back to
>basics.

When someone actually knows how to cook there is no reason whatsoever
for any clean-up left from prep and cooking when the meal is served...
even with a roasting pan/fry pan it's cleaned and put away while the
roast rests, and I don't use non-stick, not even for eggs. And the
more compact the kitchen the more one needs to cook organized, to plan
ahead and with no wasted motion.

Last night I already prepped everything for my beef barley 'shoom
soup; 2lbs of carrots peeled and neatly diced, an entire bunch of
celery neatly sliced, 3 1/2 lb hunk of chuck well trimmed and neatly
diced (didn't look sufficient so quickly defrosted and added 2 lbs
more from my freezer). All is in covered bowls in my fridge, pot is
on the stove, even got a gallon of water from my RO in the fridge so
it can replenish over night, got all my seasonings out on the counter,
even cleaned the loose paper skin from five onions that are waiting to
fine dice last minute... I never cut into onions in advance, they get
woofy quickly. I still need to harvest the parsley, was raining too
hard yesterday but now the sun is shining. I'll begin browning the
diced meat shortly, in a 16 qt heavy SS pot, a fairly tall pot so
there'll be no spatter on my stove. Got 2 lbs of barley out too. I'll
use dehy 'shrooms and a couple of canned for good measure, dehy red n'
green diced bell pepper too. Should be a very relaxing day.

Anyone who takes cruises on those behemoth floating hotels really
ought to ask to tour the galley (including storage facilities -
reefers, freezers, dry goods holds), all the prep you see will be for
the next meals... and everything will be cleaner than brand new at all
times... for anyone who cooks the tour will be the most interesting
part of the cruise. There is NEVER a reason ones kitchen shouldn't be
absolutely spotless at all times, especially during cooking. I defy
anyone to inspect my kitchen (and entire abode) unannounced and find
anything less than white glove military shipshape clean... and that BS
about cat schmutz is just that, BS!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 10:32*pm, (Carmen 1957) wrote:
> I soak mine in bleach water...

This reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut's "Timequake".....

I FRY MINE IN BUTTER!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
wrote:

>> I soak mine in bleach water...

>This reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut's "Timequake".....
>
>I FRY MINE IN BUTTER!!!!

I soak mine in spermacide! hehe

2010 Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial 2010 Bi!! Wine 0 26-11-2012 05:49 PM
Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original Superprotein bars (Dec 25, 2010) Manda Ruby General Cooking 56 24-01-2011 04:07 AM
(2010-09-29) NS-RFC: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen (redux) ChattyCathy General Cooking 12 02-10-2010 05:16 AM
Sponges OldGreyBob Sourdough 1 29-10-2006 12:48 AM
Mildew in potscrubbers and sponges Remsleep Cooking Equipment 4 07-09-2006 10:35 PM