Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pics: Zucchini and sweet corn fritters

With rissoles (meat patties).

I made a double batch of the fritter batter, and we have a whole pile left
over in the fridge.... as stated, they're excellent to just reach in, grab
a couple and run out the door.

Used this recipe.......

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1608...chini+fritters

and they come out *very* nice, almost fluffy like.

I also added a couple of chopped shallots to the mix, plenty of ground
pepper to the flour, and made sure there was enough salt. It needed a fair
bit of salt (being a double mix).

The raw sweetcorn was perfect for this recipe, but either frozen or tinned
could be used.

The corn.......

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp50/3

The two rather large zucc's.....

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp51/3

Instead of grating the z's, I used this thing......

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp52/3

The batter mix........

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp53/3

Fritters and rissoles cooking........

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp54/3

Nicely browned and juicy rissoles.....

http://tinypic.com/m/dctp9z/3

And another batch of fritters........

http://tinypic.com/m/dctpa0/3

I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices, lightly steamed some
broccoli and green beans, and the SO was very happy.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zucchini and sweet corn fritters

Captain Peter Swallows wrote:

> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1608...chini+fritters
>
> and they come out *very* nice, almost fluffy like.

<snip>

> I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices

I was right with you up to that point. I'd have taken either of two
different approaches:

1. Serve the fritters with either a Thai or Vietnamese dipping sauce, as a
main dish with a cucumber salad and jasmine rice.

2. Serve the fritters with a peppery cream sauce, as a side dish for
something grilled (steak, pork chops, chicken, or fish).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1608...chini+fritters
> >
> > and they come out *very* nice, almost fluffy like.

> <snip>
> >
> > I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices

> I was right with you up to that point. I'd have taken either of two
> different approaches:
>
> 1. Serve the fritters with either a Thai or Vietnamese dipping sauce, as a
> main dish with a cucumber salad and jasmine rice.
>
> 2. Serve the fritters with a peppery cream sauce, as a side dish for
> something grilled (steak, pork chops, chicken, or fish).

Being that Peter is a furriner and all, he called them "rissoles", but
they looked like hamburger patties to me, fried in a fry pan. Looked
pretty taste, too. Making a gravy seems pretty traditional. So the
fritters as a main dish are out, and grilling another protein would seem
strange.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote in
:

> Being that Peter is a furriner and all, he called them "rissoles", but
> they looked like hamburger patties to me, fried in a fry pan. Looked
> pretty taste, too. Making a gravy seems pretty traditional. So the
> fritters as a main dish are out, and grilling another protein would seem
> strange.

The fritters were a a side to the 'rissoles' (meat patties), as well as being
a cold snack to have on hand in the fridge whenever I get the urge to eat
something.

The pan juices after cooking the rissoles were to good looking to just chuck
out, and as it turned out, they were even tastier than they looked :-)

All I added was a bit of the water from steaming the veges, deglazed the pan
with it, then reduced it to a syrupy consistency.

As for grilling another protien....... that'd be like ordering a steak with a
side of chicken and sausages. Pretty ridiculous!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> And another batch of fritters........
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/dctpa0/3
>
> I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices, lightly steamed some
> broccoli and green beans, and the SO was very happy.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania

Your fritters look more like my potato (or other veg) pancakes ;-)

When I make corn fritters, I deep-fry them - not very good cold, out
of the fridge. But I've often eaten potato pancakes cold.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in news:73fb5f61-2d7c-434d-9b38-
:

>> And another batch of fritters........

http://tinypic.com/m/dctpa0/3

>> I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices, lightly steamed

some
>> broccoli and green beans, and the SO was very happy.
>>

> Your fritters look more like my potato (or other veg) pancakes ;-)

They look similar, but are totally different.

> When I make corn fritters, I deep-fry them - not very good cold, out
> of the fridge. But I've often eaten potato pancakes cold.

Try the recipe, you'll be pleasantly suprised. These are *excellent* cold
out of the fridge.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1608...chini+fritters

Now I've got a hankering for potato pancakes!! Long time ago, they used to
be called "Mock Fish".

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in news:73fb5f61-2d7c-434d-9b38-
:

>> And another batch of fritters........

http://tinypic.com/m/dctpa0/3

>> I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices, lightly steamed

some
>> broccoli and green beans, and the SO was very happy.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> Hobart
>> Tasmania
>>

> Your fritters look more like my potato (or other veg) pancakes ;-)
>
> When I make corn fritters, I deep-fry them - not very good cold, out
> of the fridge. But I've often eaten potato pancakes cold.
>
> N.

Nancy, here's some recipes for Potato Pancakes (Mock Fish) that doesn't
involve deep frying.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...es-recipe.html

http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/stories/s1314802.htm

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 4:04*pm, Aussie >
wrote:
> Nancy2 > wrote in news:73fb5f61-2d7c-434d-9b38-
> :
>

> >> And another batch of fritters........

> >>http://tinypic.com/m/dctpa0/3

> >> I made a sauce/gravy out of the rissole pan juices, lightly steamed

> some
> >> broccoli and green beans, and the SO was very happy.

> >> --
> >> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> >> Hobart
> >> Tasmania

> > Your fritters look more like my potato (or other veg) pancakes ;-)

> > When I make corn fritters, I deep-fry them - not very good cold, out
> > of the fridge. *But I've often eaten potato pancakes cold.

> > N.

> Nancy, here's some recipes for Potato Pancakes (Mock Fish) that doesn't
> involve deep frying.
>
> http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...es-recipe.html
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/stories/s1314802.htm
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
> but only when done with love.- Hide quoted text -

I never deep fry potato pancakes - only fritters.

N.