Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fusion Eggplant Salad

Fusion Eggplant Salad
EGGPLANT
1 good-sized globe eggplant
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil

SAUCE/DRESSING
1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh red chiles
1/2 teaspoon dried shrimp (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2-3 teaspoons lime juice

TO FINISH
1/2 cup Mexican crema
1 bunch cilantro
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup black olive slices

Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Rub with the light soy sauce,
sesame oil, and sugar. Set aside.

Put the shallots, garlic, chiles, dried shrimp (if using), cumin, and 1/2
teaspoon of the oil into a blender or mini-chopper; blend to a paste. (Or
you can use a mortar and pestle.)

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the paste
you just made. Fry the paste on medium heat for about 5 minutes till the oil
starts separating from the paste. If this doesn't happen in 5 minutes, add 2
teaspoons water to the mix. Add the sugar and salt and cook for another
minute.

Add the tomato puree (or use finely chopped fresh tomato) to the paste along
with a tablespoon of water and let it cook for another 3 minutes.

Take the paste off the heat and put it into a bowl. Add the lime juice, half
first and then adding more one-half teaspoon at a time. Taste after each
addition: The sourness of the lime and the sweet flavor of the tomato should
be the first things you taste, then the chile should make its presence felt.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add the
eggplant slices and cook them for about 3 minutes on each side.

Lightly spread about two teaspoons of the dressing on a serving platter.
Arrange the eggplant prettily on the platter. Liberally rub the remaining
dressing all over the eggplant. Drizzle with crema. Coarsely chop cilantro.
Sprinkle cilantro, tomato chunks, and olives over the dish. Can be served
hot, cold, or room temperature.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Fusion Eggplant Salad
> EGGPLANT
> 1 good-sized globe eggplant
> 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
> 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
> 1/2 teaspoon sugar
> 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
>
> SAUCE/DRESSING
> 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
> 1 tablespoon minced garlic
> 1 tablespoon minced fresh red chiles
> 1/2 teaspoon dried shrimp (optional)
> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon sugar
> 1 tablespoon tomato puree
> 2-3 teaspoons lime juice
>
> TO FINISH
> 1/2 cup Mexican crema
> 1 bunch cilantro
> 1 medium tomato, chopped
> 1/4 cup black olive slices

Directions snipped for brevity

Why grapeseed oil, Bob? Ability to withstand high cooking temps? Just
curious.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> "Bob Twerpwilliger" wrote:
>
>> Fusion Eggplant Salad
>> EGGPLANT
>> 1 good-sized globe eggplant
>> 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
>> 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
>> 1/2 teaspoon sugar
>> 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil

>Why grapeseed oil, Bob? Ability to withstand high cooking temps? Just
>curious.

Common keyboard kook bragadocious typo; grapeseed for rapeseed. LOL

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote:

>> Fusion Eggplant Salad
>> EGGPLANT
>> 1 good-sized globe eggplant
>> 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
>> 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
>> 1/2 teaspoon sugar
>> 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
>>
>> SAUCE/DRESSING
>> 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
>> 1 tablespoon minced garlic
>> 1 tablespoon minced fresh red chiles
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried shrimp (optional)
>> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
>> 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 teaspoon sugar
>> 1 tablespoon tomato puree
>> 2-3 teaspoons lime juice
>>
>> TO FINISH
>> 1/2 cup Mexican crema
>> 1 bunch cilantro
>> 1 medium tomato, chopped
>> 1/4 cup black olive slices
>>

> Directions snipped for brevity
>
> Why grapeseed oil, Bob? Ability to withstand high cooking temps? Just
> curious.

Neutral flavor. Canola oil and vegetable oil have a "carny" taste to me, and
olive oil isn't Asian-Mexican thematic. You could use safflower oil instead.
Maybe even light sunflower oil.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz failed to comprehend:

>> Why grapeseed oil, Bob? Ability to withstand high cooking temps? Just
>> curious.

> Common keyboard kook bragadocious typo; grapeseed for rapeseed. LOL
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

1. Spell-checker is your friend, ignoramus.

2. Ignorantly believing that grapeseed oil and rapeseed oil are the same is
funny enough on its own, but trumpeting your ignorance to Usenet makes you a
buffoon of epic proportions.

"LOL Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . ."

Bob

Mexican-Asian Fusion Eggplant Salad? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 20-09-2010 06:04 AM
REC - Cranberry Wild Rice Salad / Eggplant Salad - RFC Cookbook page30 Rusty[_1_] Recipes 0 09-03-2009 05:11 AM
Eggplant salad len General Cooking 6 12-08-2007 10:24 AM
EGGPLANT SALAD Jennifer Diabetic 0 08-01-2007 06:05 AM
REC: EGGPLANT SALAD Jennifer Diabetic 0 17-07-2005 12:12 AM