Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "San Diego" Braised Short Ribs

_The New West Coast Cuisine_ has a recipe it calls "San Diego Chicken" which
contains elements from Mexican and Asian cuisine. Just about a month from
now, Lin and I will be *in* San Diego, and I plan to cook this fusion recipe
for our host and hostess:

"San Diego" Braised Short Ribs

10 short ribs
Salt and freshly-ground pepper
grapeseed oil for pan-frying
1-2 bottles full-flavored beer (I use Negra Modelo)
10 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 "triangle" Mexican chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon powdered California chile
3 tablespoons nuoc mau
2 large onions, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup hoisin sauce

1. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a
large skillet and cook the short ribs until well-browned on all sides. (Use
tongs to hold the meat in place to brown it everywhere. The skillet should
NOT be a nonstick skillet.) As the fond develops on the bottom of the
skillet, if it threatens to actually burn, remove the meat, deglaze the pan
with a quarter-cup of beer, scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden
spoon to remove the fond, and pour off into a separate container. (Use that
liquid to do subsequent deglazings.) Then add more oil to the pan, let it
get hot, and resume browning the short ribs. Don't pull a "Katz" and stop
browning as soon as the meat turns grey on the outside; you want the meat to
be richly browned all over for the best flavor.

2. Remove the ribs from the pan and deglaze the pan with some of the
remaining beer. Scrape up the browned bits stuck to the pan with a wooden
spoon, then add the garlic and ginger, stirring to cook them. Add the liquid
saved from the previous deglazings.

3. Preheat the oven to 275°F.

4. Add the vinegar, orange juice, chocolate, chili powder, and nuoc mau to
the pan and mix well. Add the ribs and onion chunks, moving them around to
coat with the liquid. The liquid level should be between three-quarters and
halfway up the ribs; add more beer if necessary.

5. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours, turning the short ribs a few times
while they're cooking. The ribs are done when they're fork-tender and
falling off the bone. (During cooking, you may need to add a bit of beer to
the pan if the liquid evaporates too much.)

6. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully remove the meat from the pan, add
the hoisin sauce to the liquid in the pan, and stir well. Return the meat to
the pan, spoon the sauce over the meat, return the pan to the oven, and cook
another 40 minutes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 24, 3:04*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> _The New West Coast Cuisine_ has a recipe it calls "San Diego Chicken" which
> contains elements from Mexican and Asian cuisine. Just about a month from
> now, Lin and I will be *in* San Diego, and I plan to cook this fusion recipe
> for our host and hostess:

Be more specific so Stu's attorneys can serve you.

> "San Diego" Braised Short Ribs

They could serve you short ribs.

> 1-2 bottles full-flavored beer (I use Negra Modelo)

The only good tasting Mexican beer (that I've ever tasted).

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> Lin and I will be *in* San Diego

> Be more specific so Stu's attorneys can serve you.

Chester should look for me at 3255 Martin Avenue in San Diego. If he doesn't
see me right off the bat, he should ask passers-by about me -- and Chester,
don't let them hide the truth; if the people you're asking say that they
don't know me, you might have to *force* the answer out of them.

Bob