Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default So You Wannabe a Chef?

Those of you talking about blogs should at least be aware that there
are a handful being written by real chefs. Michael Ruhlman is one
such, and the current entry reprints an entire chapter from Anthony
Bourdain's new book. No real surprises in how he addresses the
captioned question, but if you like Bourdain, a fun read. Then when
you finish that you can prowl around Ruhlman's blog. -aem

http://ruhlman.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2010 05:18 PM, aem wrote:
> Those of you talking about blogs should at least be aware that there
> are a handful being written by real chefs. Michael Ruhlman is one
> such, and the current entry reprints an entire chapter from Anthony
> Bourdain's new book. No real surprises in how he addresses the
> captioned question, but if you like Bourdain, a fun read. Then when
> you finish that you can prowl around Ruhlman's blog. -aem
>
> http://ruhlman.com/

Some other chef blogs I'm enjoying:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/
http://www.rickbayless.com/blog/
http://www.doriegreenspan.com/
http://markbittman.com/

Think what you will of the chefs themselves, but I'm enjoying their blogs.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Three-ingredient Fudge
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-22, aem > wrote:
> such, and the current entry reprints an entire chapter from Anthony
> Bourdain's new book. No real surprises in how he addresses the
> captioned question, but if you like Bourdain, a fun read. Then when
> you finish that you can prowl around Ruhlman's blog. -aem

It's one of the few chapters in Bourdain's new book worth reading, so
take advantage of this opportunity.

<http://ruhlman.com/2010/09/so-you-wanna-be-a-chef%e2%80%94-by-bourdain-2.html>

Having read the rest of the book, I can't make the same
recommendation. A lot of it is Tony purging his soul about selling
out, past regrets, and a buncha other things he seems like he needs to
unburden himself of and is so personal, one feels like a voyeur, or
worse, jes doesn't care. Then he goes into a name dropping frenzy
that never seems to end. The book really is aimed at fellow cooks,
cuz I had no idea of who 95% of the people and restaurants he goes on
and on and on about, are. I doubt most other readers will, either.
Another chapter seems to be about how many adjectives he can summon up
to describe some of his favorite foods. It actually gets a bit
tedious. OTOH, I still enjoyed the book, somewhat, as Tony is a good
wordsmith and has a good sense of humor. The best thing I can say
about it is, I got a few good chuckles.

If you are thinking about buying the book, I'd wait for the paperback
or check it out from the library, which is what I did.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 7:49*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 05:18 PM, aem wrote:
>
> > Those of you talking about blogs should at least be aware that there
> > are a handful being written by real chefs. *Michael Ruhlman is one
> > such, and the current entry reprints an entire chapter from Anthony
> > Bourdain's new book. *No real surprises in how he addresses the
> > captioned question, but if you like Bourdain, a fun read. *Then when
> > you finish that you can prowl around Ruhlman's blog. * * -aem

> >http://ruhlman.com/

> Some other chef blogs I'm enjoying:
>
> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/http://...rkbittman.com/
>
> Think what you will of the chefs themselves, but I'm enjoying their blogs..
>
> Serene

One of the things I like about Food Network is they don't toss the
term "Chef" around lightly. If they put the C Word next to your name,
that means you actually graduated from a high end culinary school and
earned the title.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Christopher Helms > wrote:

> One of the things I like about Food Network is they don't toss the
> term "Chef" around lightly. If they put the C Word next to your name,
> that means you actually graduated from a high end culinary school and
> earned the title.

That's not my experience at all. Although Food Network is run by the
marketing people, what happens on the show isn't controlled that
tightly. If Tim Allen, on "Chopped", wants to call every single
contestant Chef X, he does. And he does. Some of them are pretty
incompetent.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 24, 10:08*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Christopher Helms > wrote:
>
> > One of the things I like about Food Network is they don't toss the
> > term "Chef" around lightly. If they put the C Word next to your name,
> > that means you actually graduated from a high end culinary school and
> > earned the title.

> That's not my experience at all. *Although Food Network is run by the
> marketing people, what happens on the show isn't controlled that
> tightly. *If Tim Allen, on "Chopped", wants to call every single
> contestant Chef X, he does. *And he does. *Some of them are pretty
> incompetent.

I've never seen a single episode of 'Chopped,' being rather fed up
with food competition shows. Ted Allen (Tim Allen is the tool guy on
an unrelated show that is no longer in production) should know
better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> some "chefs" cannot cook their way out of a paper bag... I've seen
> some make the ancient mistake of pink gravy using red wine. ;-)

Why do you think that's a mistake?

Bob