Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone have Induction cooktop?

Hi

I saw a demo of one of these and was very impressed. Unfortunately i
dont know what make or model it was.

The demonstrator put a papercloth on the cooktop boiled a pan of water
adn the cloth did not catch fire and the cooktop felt cold to touch
afterwards.

I today had my 36" Wolf Induction cooktop installed.

When i boil a pan of water the cooktop becomes hot not cold and any
cloth would catch fire!! lol. Additionally the cooktop makes clicking
noises which i am told is normal and is the cooling fans underneath.

I bought Wolf as i thought this was the best. Anyone have any
experience with what i am talking about?

Thanks
Amy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Postitnote" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I saw a demo of one of these and was very impressed. Unfortunately i
> dont know what make or model it was.
>
> The demonstrator put a papercloth on the cooktop boiled a pan of water
> adn the cloth did not catch fire and the cooktop felt cold to touch
> afterwards.
>
> I today had my 36" Wolf Induction cooktop installed.
>
> When i boil a pan of water the cooktop becomes hot not cold and any
> cloth would catch fire!! lol. Additionally the cooktop makes clicking
> noises which i am told is normal and is the cooling fans underneath.
>
> I bought Wolf as i thought this was the best. Anyone have any
> experience with what i am talking about?
>

> Thanks
> Amy

I had a demo of a GE version at the last Seattle Home Show. Yes, if you turn
it on, and you put your hand on it, it will be cold to the touch. The big
difference is that the pot and contents get very hot when cooked(as it
should). The pot is on the glass. The glass gets hot from the heat of the
pan.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Postitnote wrote:
> Hi
>
> I saw a demo of one of these and was very impressed. Unfortunately i
> dont know what make or model it was.
>
> The demonstrator put a papercloth on the cooktop boiled a pan of water
> adn the cloth did not catch fire and the cooktop felt cold to touch
> afterwards.
>
> I today had my 36" Wolf Induction cooktop installed.
>
> When i boil a pan of water the cooktop becomes hot not cold and any
> cloth would catch fire!! lol. Additionally the cooktop makes clicking
> noises which i am told is normal and is the cooling fans underneath.
>
> I bought Wolf as i thought this was the best. Anyone have any
> experience with what i am talking about?
>

> Thanks
> Amy

The 2 induction burners on my current old JennAire cooktop do make
a clicking sound when the burner is on. (And one does need to
have something ON the burner when it is turned on. Mine squeals
when there is nothing on the burner; many just turn off.)

As for the heat, the cooktop retains heat from the vessel that was
on it. I can touch mine at that point. It is not hot enough to
burn me or set anything on fire, but it is hot.

In my other house, I have a new GE induction cooktop. (My love of
induction obviously overcame my extreme dislike of smooth
cooktops.) I looked at every make of induction cooktop that is
around, and also did research online. I saw no real benefit from
the pricier cooktops.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Motzarella" > wrote:

> "Postitnote" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I saw a demo of one of these and was very impressed. Unfortunately i
> > dont know what make or model it was.
> >
> > The demonstrator put a papercloth on the cooktop boiled a pan of water
> > adn the cloth did not catch fire and the cooktop felt cold to touch
> > afterwards.
> >
> > I today had my 36" Wolf Induction cooktop installed.
> >
> > When i boil a pan of water the cooktop becomes hot not cold and any
> > cloth would catch fire!! lol. Additionally the cooktop makes clicking
> > noises which i am told is normal and is the cooling fans underneath.
> >
> > I bought Wolf as i thought this was the best. Anyone have any
> > experience with what i am talking about?

> I had a demo of a GE version at the last Seattle Home Show. Yes, if you turn
> it on, and you put your hand on it, it will be cold to the touch.

Did a warning light come on? I don't have one of these, but I
understand that there is a sensor that determines whether a suitable pot
is on the burner. It won't actually come on if there is no suitable pot
there.

> The big
> difference is that the pot and contents get very hot when cooked(as it
> should). The pot is on the glass. The glass gets hot from the heat of the
> pan.

There's "very hot", as in burn your hand, and "very hot", as in start a
fire. According to a book I read (Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury,
which has been banned), paper doesn't start burning until 451F, so the
heat of water boiling at 212F shouldn't start a fire. Of course, the
stove heats the pot, not the contents of the pot, so the temperature can
be much hotter than boiling water.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:39:18 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Motzarella" > wrote:
>
>> "Postitnote" > wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I saw a demo of one of these and was very impressed. Unfortunately i
>> > dont know what make or model it was.
>> >
>> > The demonstrator put a papercloth on the cooktop boiled a pan of water
>> > adn the cloth did not catch fire and the cooktop felt cold to touch
>> > afterwards.
>> >
>> > I today had my 36" Wolf Induction cooktop installed.
>> >
>> > When i boil a pan of water the cooktop becomes hot not cold and any
>> > cloth would catch fire!! lol. Additionally the cooktop makes clicking
>> > noises which i am told is normal and is the cooling fans underneath.
>> >
>> > I bought Wolf as i thought this was the best. Anyone have any
>> > experience with what i am talking about?

>> I had a demo of a GE version at the last Seattle Home Show. Yes, if you turn
>> it on, and you put your hand on it, it will be cold to the touch.

>Did a warning light come on? I don't have one of these, but I
>understand that there is a sensor that determines whether a suitable pot
>is on the burner. It won't actually come on if there is no suitable pot
>there.

the wolf is liek thats wont come on unless the pot is on it

>> The big
>> difference is that the pot and contents get very hot when cooked(as it
>> should). The pot is on the glass. The glass gets hot from the heat of the
>> pan.

>There's "very hot", as in burn your hand, and "very hot", as in start a
>fire. According to a book I read (Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury,
>which has been banned), paper doesn't start burning until 451F, so the
>heat of water boiling at 212F shouldn't start a fire. Of course, the
>stove heats the pot, not the contents of the pot, so the temperature can
>be much hotter than boiling water.

Ours is very hot you couldnt possibly touch it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:29:34 +0100, Postitnote > wrote:

>Ours is very hot you couldnt possibly touch it

Is this thing still under warranty? Why haven't you contacted the
dealer about this?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:06:20 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:29:34 +0100, Postitnote > wrote:
>
>>Ours is very hot you couldnt possibly touch it

>Is this thing still under warranty? Why haven't you contacted the
>dealer about this?

Yes they say its fine and in fact it does get hot.
Even the wolf video on there webste says it stays cool and can be
touched but common sense tells me if the pan gets hot the glass will
get hot. Seems to be a big diffeence between what the 'sales part'
says and actualy what the product does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:03:31 +0100, Postitnote > wrote:

>Even the wolf video on there webste says it stays cool and can be
>touched but common sense tells me if the pan gets hot the glass will
>get hot. Seems to be a big diffeence between what the 'sales part'
>says and actualy what the product does.

It depends quite a bit upon how long you're cooking, but the fact is
that glass is a very poor conductor, and so will absorb comparatively
little heat. And even something as simple as placing a sheet of
parchment between the pan and hob top will reduce the conducted heat
even further.

You may have noted that even a glass turntable in a microwaver oven
gets quite hot to the touch with, say, two baking potatoes cooked for
ten minutes total.

In practice, it is not a problem. The induction cooktop still stays
far cooler than any other.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:03:31 +0100, Postitnote > wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:06:20 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:29:34 +0100, Postitnote > wrote:
>>
>>>Ours is very hot you couldnt possibly touch it

>>Is this thing still under warranty? Why haven't you contacted the
>>dealer about this?

>Yes they say its fine and in fact it does get hot.
>Even the wolf video on there webste says it stays cool and can be
>touched but common sense tells me if the pan gets hot the glass will
>get hot. Seems to be a big diffeence between what the 'sales part'
>says and actualy what the product does.

I guess they stretched the truth a bit with their advertising.