Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chuck Roast

Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
Thanks for your replys

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 1:44 PM, allen brownstein wrote:
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

Given those options, I'd do it in the oven wrapped in foil. It's my
opinion that the steady temp of the oven works better than top of the
stove which is less controlled.

Personally,I much prefer a chuck roast in the slow cooker or even the
pressure cooker, if I don't have time for the slow cooker.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"allen brownstein" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

Doesn't make any difference that I can think of. Oven may be quicker since
you have more directed heat. Stove is easier to stir and keep from sticking
and burning.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 12:44*pm, (allen brownstein) wrote:
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replies.

==
Season with salt & pepper and garlic powder and close foil around it.
Cook in oven in covered roaster, cup or two of water so it doesn't
burn...25 to 35 minutes per lb. at 350 degrees F. Check half way
through process and perhaps invert it if desired and replenish water
if almost gone.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"allen brownstein" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

Look up any recipe for POT ROAST!

If does not start with Brown the meat in hot fat - do not use the recipe.
If it starts with Brown the meat and the recipe looks good follow it.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 2:44 PM, allen brownstein wrote:
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

If you have a crockpot this would be a good time to use it. A chuck
roast and some root vegetables (or not) comes out really well in a crockpot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 2:51 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Sep 14, 12:44 pm, (allen brownstein) wrote:
>> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
>> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
>> Thanks for your replies.

> ==
> Season with salt& pepper and garlic powder and close foil around it.
> Cook in oven in covered roaster, cup or two of water so it doesn't
> burn...25 to 35 minutes per lb. at 350 degrees F. Check half way
> through process and perhaps invert it if desired and replenish water
> if almost gone.
> ==

I always add a little dry red wine to the braising liquid. I think it
helps tenderize and flavor the meat. YMMV

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 1:44*pm, (allen brownstein) wrote:
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

Marinate that bad boy in a covered, non reactive (that would be glass
or plastic) container in the fridge for 16 hours or so in a half cup
of soy sauce, half a cup of the cheapest metal screw top bottle type
port wine you can find (Fairbanks by Earnest and Hoolio Gallo is a
good one) and a teaspoon of honey. Flip it over about halfway through
the marinating and don't go over 24 hours in the marinade unless you
like really salty chuck roasts. Indirect cook that ******* on a nice
hot grill for three or four hours until it's pink in the middle. You
can try direct heat grilling it but the sugar in the honey makes it
turn a really scary black on the outside long before it's done on the
inside. Don't bake it and don't even think about doing anything on the
stovetop with it. You can do smaller pieces of meat or pork with the
same 50/50 soy sauce and cheap port marinade recipe with a touch of
honey, but don't let anything small sit too long in it.

"Grill, baby grill."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:32:09 -0400, Brookilyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:44:22 -0400, (allen
>brownstein) wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
>>way to cook it, oven or up top on the range

>Braised... oven or stovetop makes no difference.

Ditto

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

5...

(allen brownstein) wrote:

>>> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
>>> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
>>> Thanks for your replys

>> I've never had much success/luck braising on top of the stove. I always
>> do mine in the oven, covered, at about 300-325 deg. F. I have a couple
>> sisters who do theirs on top of the stove. <shrugs> You pays your
>> money, you takes your choice.
>>

> You obviously don't have a decent pot/saucepan..... or you have a crappy
> stove top.
>
> BTW, if you did your 'braise' in the oven, it wouldn't be a braise, it
> would
> be a casserole.
>
> Please adjust your terminology accordingly.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Hobart
> Tasmania

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...entry/?id=1511

braise
[BRAYZ]
A cooking method by which food (usually meat or vegetables) is first browned
in fat, then cooked, tightly covered, in a small amount of liquid at low
heat for a lengthy period of time. The long, slow cooking develops flavor
and tenderizes foods by gently breaking down their fibers. Braising can be
done on top of the range or in the oven. A tight-fitting lid is very
important to prevent the liquid from evaporating.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...16&submit.y=13

casserole
This term refers to both a baking dish and the ingredients it contains.
Casserole cookery is extremely convenient because the ingredients are cooked
and served in the same dish. A "casserole dish" usually refers to a deep,
round, ovenproof container with handles and a tight-fitting lid. It can be
glass, metal, ceramic or any other heatproof material. A casserole's
ingredients can include meat, vegetables, beans, rice and anything else that
might seem appropriate. Often a topping such as cheese or bread crumbs is
added for texture and flavor.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>"allen brownstein" > wrote in message

>> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
>> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
>> Thanks for your replys

>Doesn't make any difference that I can think of. Oven may be quicker since
>you have more directed heat. Stove is easier to stir and keep from sticking
>and burning.

I recommend doing it in a dutch oven which is placed inside of an oven.
That gives you very even cooking.

It does not have to be a Le Creuset. Really, any dutch oven will do.

I will also repeat Steve Wertz's fine advice: 3 hours at 300 degrees F
for any sort of pot roast. This is an utterly reliable formula;
deviate from it at your own risk.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote in
:

(allen brownstein) wrote:

>>> I've never had much success/luck braising on top of the stove. I
>>> always do mine in the oven, covered, at about 300-325 deg. F. I have
>>> a couple sisters who do theirs on top of the stove. <shrugs> You
>>> pays your money, you takes your choice.
>>>

>> You obviously don't have a decent pot/saucepan..... or you have a
>> crappy stove top.
>>
>> BTW, if you did your 'braise' in the oven, it wouldn't be a braise, it
>> would
>> be a casserole.
>>
>> Please adjust your terminology accordingly.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>> Hobart
>> Tasmania

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...entry/?id=1511

> braise

> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>

> casserole

> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Your information is rather dated. 15 years old in fact.

http://www.themainmeal.com.au/TipTec...g+methods/How+
to+slow+simmer+dishes/How+to+slow+simmer+dishes.htm

"What is the difference between a stew and a braise? What about a pot-roast?
Where does casserole fit in?

* A braise generally uses cubed meat or small cuts with bone-in such as
lamb shanks. A braise uses very little liquid in relation to the quantity of
meat. Meat is barely immersed in the liquid (roughly 1 cup of liquid to 1kg
of meat). The cooking liquid for a braise is highly concentrated and served
as a sauce or gravy. When reheating, a braise may need a little extra liquid
– such as stock or wine.
* Pot-roasting uses the same technique as braising, the difference being
that it requires a larger whole piece of meat such as a lamb shoulder or
piece of chuck. A stew uses more liquid and takes less time to cook as the
meat is completely submerged. It is cooked on the cooktop and served directly
in its cooking liquid.
* A casserole is similar to a stew, but it is traditionally cooked in a
casserole dish in the oven rather than on the cooktop. You can cook it on the
cooktop though, you’ll simply need to pay a little more attention to it as it
cooks – see our tips below."

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie > wrote in
5:

/
> How+ to+slow+simmer+dishes/How+to+slow+simmer+dishes.htm
>

> "What is the difference between a stew and a braise? What about a
> pot-roast? Where does casserole fit in?
>
> * A braise generally uses cubed meat or small cuts with bone-in such
> as
> lamb shanks. A braise uses very little liquid in relation to the
> quantity of meat. Meat is barely immersed in the liquid (roughly 1 cup
> of liquid to 1kg of meat). The cooking liquid for a braise is highly
> concentrated and served as a sauce or gravy. When reheating, a braise
> may need a little extra liquid – such as stock or wine.
> * Pot-roasting uses the same technique as braising, the difference
> being
> that it requires a larger whole piece of meat such as a lamb shoulder or
> piece of chuck. A stew uses more liquid and takes less time to cook as
> the meat is completely submerged. It is cooked on the cooktop and served
> directly in its cooking liquid.
> * A casserole is similar to a stew, but it is traditionally cooked
> in a
> casserole dish in the oven rather than on the cooktop. You can cook it
> on the cooktop though, you’ll simply need to pay a little more attention
> to it as it cooks – see our tips below."

One other more recent source......

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1077...wine+casserole

"There is much confusion about the difference between a casserole, a stew
and a braised dish. These three terms are often used indiscriminately as
they all refer to cooking food slowly in liquid in a covered container.
After much research, I came to the conclusion that for a casserole, as it
is most universally recognised, the food (namely meat) is browned first on
the stove top and then simmered with other ingredients in the oven. For a
stew, the food is not browned first before it is simmered on the stove
top. To braise, the food is browned first and . then simmered on the stove
top. Usually, less liquid is used when braising."

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Senior Member

Location: WI

I'm with you, D. Season (dry seasoning), sear that meat shut, deglaze (add liquid and scrape the bottom of the pan of its burnt-in goodies), add veggies, return roast, and let her rip (med. low for 2.5 hours or 2 hours for smaller cuts).

I like to brown in bacon fat when I wish to impress a bit and use red wine (as suggested by others) to deglaze. I also like a drip of Worchestershire, and, if I have stock, use that instead of water and red wine. You'll also need some form of salt (bullion, soy, decent salt) to be added when you add the liquid for deglazing. Watch the amount of liquid you add, though. Sometimes less is more. Too much liquid and you dilute that stuff. I like it about an inch up on the roast.

Better yet, if you brown bacon, remove done bacon, brown the roast in the fat and add the bacon bits to the veggies, you could reach Nirvana. Oh so low in fat, too. I think I'll do that the next time I pot a roast, or , roast a pot.

Last edited by Gorio : 15-09-2010 at 01:14 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 12:52*am, Aussie >
wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > (allen brownstein) wrote:

> >> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> >> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> >> Thanks for your replys

> > I've never had much success/luck braising on top of the stove. *I always
> > do mine in the oven, covered, at about 300-325 deg. F. *I have a couple
> > sisters who do theirs on top of the stove. *<shrugs> *You pays your
> > money, you takes your choice.

> You obviously don't have a decent pot/saucepan..... or you have a crappy
> stove top.
>
> BTW, if you did your 'braise' in the oven, it wouldn't be a braise, it would
> be a casserole.
>
> Please adjust your terminology accordingly.

Maybe that's so in Tasmania, but here in the U.S., braising is the
correct terminology whether accomplished in the oven or on the stove
top. Braising is a technique which includes both browning the food in
some type of fat (butter, oil, the fat that renders off the meat,
whatever) and then completing the cooking in liquid.

> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
> but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 12:41*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> (allen brownstein) wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> > way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> > Thanks for your replys

> I've never had much success/luck braising on top of the stove. *I always
> do mine in the oven, covered, at about 300-325 deg. F. *I have a couple
> sisters who do theirs on top of the stove. *<shrugs> *You pays your
> money, you takes your choice.

I'm with you. I generally braise in the oven. I don't give a fig
what the Aussie Food Police say; any type of moist, low,
slow cooking is a braise in my opinion. Why should
stovetop/oven matter? The important thing is the small
amount of liquid and the low heat (after browning, of
course).

Oven braising is one of my favorite "fire and forget" preps.
On the stovetop, I have to keep making sure I've set the
flame exactly right. Bah.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in news:d5ffd6ff-943e-
:

>> :

be
> st

>> > I've never had much success/luck braising on top of the stove. *I alw

> ays
>> > do mine in the oven, covered, at about 300-325 deg. F. *I have a coup

> le
>> > sisters who do theirs on top of the stove. *<shrugs> *You pays your
>> > money, you takes your choice.

>> You obviously don't have a decent pot/saucepan..... or you have a

crappy
>> stove top.
>>
>> BTW, if you did your 'braise' in the oven, it wouldn't be a braise, it

wo
> uld
>> be a casserole.
>>
>> Please adjust your terminology accordingly.

> Maybe that's so in Tasmania,

And in just about every intelligent English speaking country in the world.

> but here in the U.S., braising is the
> correct terminology whether accomplished in the oven or on the stove
> top. Braising is a technique which includes both browning the food in
> some type of fat (butter, oil, the fat that renders off the meat,
> whatever) and then completing the cooking in liquid.

So your braise is also your casserole?

How about your Pot Roast? That's also a braise.

Why bother with 75 different names for the same thing (in your terms),
just call everything a braise and be done with it!! Bugger what all the
top chefs of the world think..... what would they know, hey!!??

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote:

>"There is much confusion about the difference between a casserole, a stew
>and a braised dish. These three terms are often used indiscriminately as
>they all refer to cooking food slowly in liquid in a covered container.

Not true. A casserole has absolutely nothing to do with
stewing/braising. A casserole has to do with the cookware (cooked and
served in the same dish), has nothing whatsoever to do with what's
cooking. The only differences between stewing and braising is that
braising entails minimal liquid and must be cooked tightly covered, a
stew contains substantial liquid and can be cooked covered or
uncoverd.

Stewing/braising red meat with wine is homosexual... real men cook red
meat in beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>>"allen brownstein" > wrote in message

>>> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
>>> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
>>> Thanks for your replys

>>Doesn't make any difference that I can think of.

Stovetop cooking allows for tasting, reseasoning, and for adding
ingredients in the proper order to properly cook. Oven stewing is
only a small baby step above crockpot cookery, for the lazy folks who
abhor actual cooking who would rather set it and forget it while
traipsing off to do something else. Oven stewing is what I call true
pot luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:44:22 -0400, allen brownstein wrote:

> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

is it too soon to repost my pot roast recipe? nah:

it makes great top-of-stove pot roast.

8 oz. beer
6 oz. can pineapple juice
1 tb brown sugar
1 tb worcestershire or kung pao sauce } if you don't have these, 2 tbl
1 tb teriyaki sauce } of soy will work
1 tb lemon j. or (rice) vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 t better than bouillon (optional - will make it a little saltier and the
gravy more brown)
1-1 1/2 lb beef brisket (or thick round or chuck)
1/2 -3/4 head green cabbage cut in wedges

brown beef and remove from pan (or not - the color and taste are a little
better)

combine and heat liquid ingredients. add brown sugar and bay leaf. (the
brown sugar makes it fizz entertainingly.) crape browned bits from bottom
of pan.

when at simmer, add beef and simmer, covered, on very low heat for
about 3 hours, turning every 15 minutes or so. (don't worry if it
smells kinda funky at first- it's the beer.)

add cabbage wedges during last 15 minutes or so.
the meat should be very tender yet still a little pink inside.
i usually serve it in chunks, shred it on the plate and spoon some of
the gravy over (it will not be thick). i sprinkle some salt and grind
some pepper on the meat, wrap a bite in a cabbage leaf, and go to
town.

this is a very forgiving recipe; as long as you cook it slow and long
you can't really go wrong.

(mostly invented by me - well, o.k., mostly stolen by me from different
people and radically altered.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 10:18*am, Aussie >
wrote:
> "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in news:d5ffd6ff-943e-
> :
>

> > On Sep 15, 12:52*am, Aussie >
> > wrote:
> >> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in

> >> :

> be
> > st

> > ays

> > le

> >> You obviously don't have a decentpot/saucepan..... or you have a

> crappy
> >> stove top.

> >> BTW, if you did your 'braise' in the oven, it wouldn't be a braise, it

> wo
> > uld
> >> be a casserole.

> >> Please adjust your terminology accordingly.

> > Maybe that's so in Tasmania,

> And in just about every intelligent English speaking country in the world..

But not all, obviously.

> > but here in the U.S., braising is the
> > correct terminology whether accomplished in the oven or on the stove
> > top. Braising is a technique which includes both browning the food in
> > some type of fat (butter, oil, the fat that renders off the meat,
> > whatever) and then completing the cooking in liquid.

> So your braise is also your casserole?

No. A casserole general is mostly pasta, rice or potatoes.

> How about yourPotRoast? That's also a braise.
>
> Why bother with 75 different names for the same thing (in your terms),
> just call everything a braise and be done with it!! Bugger what all the
> top chefs of the world think..... what would they know, hey!!??
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania

Braise is a verb. It is the technique used. Cook in fat to brown, then
cook in liquid to complete the cooking via steam. Pot roast. stew.
swiss steak. those are all names of dishes that use the braise
technique. It's all braising.

Here in the U.S., a "casserole" is usually predominantly a carb dish:
rice, pasta or potatoes, often with smaller quantities of meat,
usually veggies, and always some kind of sauce (bechamel, cheese
sauce, marinara sauce or, frequently canned creamy soup, etc),
possibly cheese. A "Casserole" is a recipe. Not a technique. Some
places in the U.S., what would be called a "casserole" here in the
greater NY area would be "hot dish" (Minnesota for example).
Casseroles were designed to provide a hearty, filling meal on a tight
budget. For example, you have 2 leftover cooked chicken legs and you
need to feed 6 people: one way to do that is to cook a pound of egg
noodles or other small macaroni. Remove the chicken from the bones,
dice the meat and stir into the cooked pasta with a box of frozen peas
and a sauce made with flour, butter, milk, maybe some chicken broth,
and some yellow cheese mixed in for additional protein. Season to
taste, bake in a buttered gratin dish (what we call here a "casserole"
dish) and voila, chicken casserole--dinner for 6.

Honestly, call it whatever the hell you want. I don't give a flying
fig. But don't get on here all arrogant with your linguistic
beligerence, when you are in the minority here. Yes, there are posters
here from all over the world. But the vast majority of the posters
here use the U.S. dialect. Deal with it.
It's your arrogance that is so offensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 3:03*pm, Aussie >
wrote:
> "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in news:2d4926e1-427c-
> :
>
> > On Sep 15, 10:18*am, Aussie >
> > wrote:

> > Honestly, call it whatever the hell you want. I don't give a flying
> > fig. But don't get on here all arrogant with your linguistic
> > beligerence, when you are in the minority here. Yes, there are posters
> > here from all over the world. But the vast majority of the posters
> > here use the U.S. dialect. Deal with it.
> > It's your arrogance that is so offensive.

> LOL!!
>
> People, glass house.... you know the rest.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
> but only when done with love.

==
Interesting discussion but proves little. Terminology varies from
country to country. As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven. Possibly a bit too
close to the horns but it should be okay...at $2.98 a lb. for
boneless. I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
casseroled...it is being roasted. Damn, it smells so good, I might
just slice off a bit before its time.

==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

>As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
>roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven.
>I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
>burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
>casseroled...it is being roasted.

Nope, it's being stewed... like you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 5:55*pm, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>
> >As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
> >roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven.
> >I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
> >burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
> >casseroled...it is being roasted.

> Nope, it's being stewed... like you.

==
Aw Brooky, that wasn't nice of you to make such a nasty remark...did
someone **** in your porridge this morning?
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote:

> possibly cheese. A "Casserole" is a recipe.

And also the name for a cooking vessel that also serves as the serving
dish for its contents.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> In article
> >,
> "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote:
>
>> possibly cheese. A "Casserole" is a recipe.

> And also the name for a cooking vessel that also serves as the serving
> dish for its contents.

And 'casserole' is also a method of cooking.

Acasserole dish/pot, specifically designed for the use of cooking food in the
oven with heat all around. They will always have heatproof/non-melting
handles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casserole

Your 'pot roast' is a braise, your Chilli is a braise.

Spag Bol can even be called a braise.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy[_2_] View Post
Roy wrote:

As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven.
I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
casseroled...it is being roasted.

Nope, it's being stewed... like you.

==
Aw Brooky, that wasn't nice of you to make such a nasty remark...did
someone **** in your porridge this morning?
==
Yes, it was either Snowball, Mr. Whiskers, or Jezebel. Although it also could have been Sugar, Butchy, Gizmo or Yentl. I'm sure shelly doesn't care which cat did. He seems to enjoy that sort of thing; so that's no excuse to be a schwantz to everybody.

I guess those who have more cats in their lives than people tend to self embitter. Just a hypothesis, though.

I always picture stew as one wetness level down from soup. Braising is a form of cooking in which the meat in only submerged a small bit, IMO.

I braise a whole lot more than I stew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:23:27 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, Brooklyn1
>wrote:
>
>> Roy wrote:
>> >
>> >As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
>> >roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven.
>> >I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
>> >burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
>> >casseroled...it is being roasted.

>> Nope, it's being stewed... like you.

>Actually, I'd call that braising, but that's just me!

Were it browned first, but it wasn't so it's stewed.

Easy to remember:
BRown
BRaise

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=14&submit.y=9
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 1:23*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
> > Roy wrote:

> > >As I read this, a 1.11 kg pot roast is being
> > >roasted in a covered casserole dish in my oven.
> > >I didn't brown it first and I added water to keep it from
> > >burning. It is not being sauteed or boiled or stewed or
> > >casseroled...it is being roasted.

> > Nope, it's being stewed... like you.

> Actually, I'd call that braising, but that's just me!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> *Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
> * * * no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

==
For the last half hour I removed the cover and browned the roast and
there was just enough fluid left for unthickened gravy to cover the
boiled new potatoes. I have so many tomatoes this year that sliced
tomato was the only vegetable used this time. The beef was tender and
flavorful, everything was perfect.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 2:44*pm, (allen brownstein) wrote:
> Hi Folks, Going to make a Chuck Roast approximate 5lbs, what is the best
> way to cook it, oven or up top on the range
> Thanks for your replys

Pot Roast.

Chuck Roast Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 45 05-09-2012 01:46 PM
chuck eye roast vs minute roast? Ellen K. Diabetic 96 25-09-2010 11:57 AM
Chuck Roast rosie[_1_] General Cooking 0 06-10-2008 10:12 PM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 06:41 AM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 06:41 AM