Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow service ? at Starbucks? Imagine that.

While out running errands today I stopped at one of the few Starbucks in
this neck of the woods. Starbucks service has aways been slow. I have
often wondered how they can turn the act pouring a cup of coffee into a
time consuming process, but I confess to liking their coffee better than
the main alternatives.

At any rate, I was walking towards Starbucks as a young woman was on her
way out and she shouted to someone waiting for her in a a car "Holy shit
the service in there is so ****ing slow!!"

Surprise, surprise, surprise. It was no surprise to me that service
would be slow at a Starbucks. The only surprise was that a young woman,
NB not a young lady, would be yelling profanities like that. I was in no
hurry and went on ahead, expecting that i might have to stand in line a
little longer than usual. There were four woman ahead of me, and
apparently all together because a girl behind the counter beaconed to me
and took my order.

I was stunned. After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
than I am used to just about anywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-10, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I was stunned. After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
> than I am used to just about anywhere.

Some ppl are jes dicks.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:08:34 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> While out running errands today I stopped at one of the few Starbucks in
> this neck of the woods. Starbucks service has aways been slow. I have
> often wondered how they can turn the act pouring a cup of coffee into a
> time consuming process, but I confess to liking their coffee better than
> the main alternatives.
>
> At any rate, I was walking towards Starbucks as a young woman was on her
> way out and she shouted to someone waiting for her in a a car "Holy shit
> the service in there is so ****ing slow!!"
>
> Surprise, surprise, surprise. It was no surprise to me that service
> would be slow at a Starbucks. The only surprise was that a young woman,
> NB not a young lady, would be yelling profanities like that. I was in no
> hurry and went on ahead, expecting that i might have to stand in line a
> little longer than usual. There were four woman ahead of me, and
> apparently all together because a girl behind the counter beaconed to me
> and took my order.
>
> I was stunned. After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
> than I am used to just about anywhere.

the 'holy' before the 'shit' turned it into a prayer, which are sometimes
answered.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:eUyio.30495$0u7.29433
@unlimited.newshosting.com:

> After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
> than I am used to just about anywhere.

Never had problems with speed at Starbucks or Bridgehead in Ottawa.
Sometimes there are long lineups at all outlets downtown around coffee
break which is why I got my daily Americano (triple tall extra hot) at
13h30.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/09/2010 10:57 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Dave > wrote in news:eUyio.30495$0u7.29433
> @unlimited.newshosting.com:
>
>> After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
>> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
>> than I am used to just about anywhere.

> Never had problems with speed at Starbucks or Bridgehead in Ottawa.
> Sometimes there are long lineups at all outlets downtown around coffee
> break which is why I got my daily Americano (triple tall extra hot) at
> 13h30.

Maybe that explains why Starbucks has never made a huge dent in the
coffee business here in the heart of Tim Hortons country. There are
only three Starbucks here in the Niagara Peninsula.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> While out running errands today I stopped at one of the few Starbucks in
> this neck of the woods. Starbucks service has aways been slow. I have
> often wondered how they can turn the act pouring a cup of coffee into a
> time consuming process, but I confess to liking their coffee better than
> the main alternatives.
>
> At any rate, I was walking towards Starbucks as a young woman was on her
> way out and she shouted to someone waiting for her in a a car "Holy shit
> the service in there is so ****ing slow!!"
>
> Surprise, surprise, surprise. It was no surprise to me that service would
> be slow at a Starbucks. The only surprise was that a young woman, NB not a
> young lady, would be yelling profanities like that. I was in no hurry and
> went on ahead, expecting that i might have to stand in line a little
> longer than usual. There were four woman ahead of me, and apparently all
> together because a girl behind the counter beaconed to me and took my
> order.
>
> I was stunned. After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
> than I am used to just about anywhere.

If you order a cup of coffee, and it takes more than a minute, I'd say that
the service is slow. If you order a triple expresso, half latte, half
caramel frappucino almond iced whatever, (with extra cherries and bananas)
the production time could be extended.

Did you actually sit there and see (that's possible, you know) what it was
that took so long to produce your order?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B replied to Dave Smith:

>> While out running errands today I stopped at one of the few Starbucks in
>> this neck of the woods. Starbucks service has aways been slow. I have
>> often wondered how they can turn the act pouring a cup of coffee into a
>> time consuming process, but I confess to liking their coffee better than
>> the main alternatives.
>>
>> At any rate, I was walking towards Starbucks as a young woman was on her
>> way out and she shouted to someone waiting for her in a a car "Holy shit
>> the service in there is so ****ing slow!!"
>>
>> Surprise, surprise, surprise. It was no surprise to me that service would
>> be slow at a Starbucks. The only surprise was that a young woman, NB not
>> a young lady, would be yelling profanities like that. I was in no hurry
>> and went on ahead, expecting that i might have to stand in line a little
>> longer than usual. There were four woman ahead of me, and apparently all
>> together because a girl behind the counter beaconed to me and took my
>> order.
>>
>> I was stunned. After that profane outburst outside the store I had the
>> fastest service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster
>> than I am used to just about anywhere.

> If you order a cup of coffee, and it takes more than a minute, I'd say
> that the service is slow. If you order a triple expresso, half latte,
> half caramel frappucino almond iced whatever, (with extra cherries and
> bananas) the production time could be extended.
>
> Did you actually sit there and see (that's possible, you know) what it was
> that took so long to produce your order?

Are you retarded? Did you utterly fail to comprehend "I had the fastest
service that I have ever had in Starbucks, service much faster than I am
used to just about anywhere"? Well, yes, obviously you *did* fail to
comprehend what Dave wrote... which I guess answers the first question, too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> I don't think they are in competition because Tim Horton's showcase
>> product is there donuts with coffee as the secondary product.

> Not in Canada. Tim's coffee is the drug of choice of the military in
> Afghanistan, so much so that DND engineered a Tim's outlet at KAF:

Interesting - Dunkin Donuts openly claims that their coffee is their
showcase product. Their founder was quite fussy about every detail of
their coffee and its quality. It puts Tim Horton into direct head to
head competition with a very large chain. I am pleasantly surprised that
they have managed to thrive outside of Toronto and Buffalo where his
name is famous from his long and distinguished hockey career. I sure
went into one the first time because I remember watching him play on the
Buffalo Sabres back when I still followed sports.

I've tried the coffee at Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts in the same day.
Dunkin stays a little bit better to me. I'm wheat intolerant so I tend
to avoid the donuts (If I'm going to poison myself on purpose I'll do it
with chicken fried steak to make it worth the symptoms) but the Tim
Horton ones smelled better than the Dunkin Donuts one and my wife
reported their flavor tracked their aroma.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote in news:i6o5jr$n6h$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think they are in competition because Tim Horton's showcase
>>> product is there donuts with coffee as the secondary product.

>> Not in Canada. Tim's coffee is the drug of choice of the military in
>> Afghanistan, so much so that DND engineered a Tim's outlet at KAF:

> Interesting - Dunkin Donuts openly claims that their coffee is their
> showcase product. Their founder was quite fussy about every detail of
> their coffee and its quality.

Oddly enough, it is the one coffee from a doughnut place that I found
tasted like dishwater the one time I bought one.

> the Tim
> Horton ones smelled better than the Dunkin Donuts one and my wife
> reported their flavor tracked their aroma.

Tim's doughnuts have been found (in an exhaustive analysis posed on Radio-
Canada and referred to here in the past) to have less crappy ingredients
than either Donkey Donuts or Krusty Kreme.

Mind you, doughnuts are still 50% fat, 40% flour and 10% protein.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> Tim's doughnuts have been found (in an exhaustive analysis posed on Radio-
> Canada and referred to here in the past) to have less crappy ingredients
> than either Donkey Donuts or Krusty Kreme.
>
> Mind you, doughnuts are still 50% fat, 40% flour and 10% protein.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Being the anal person I am, I had to look it up. Besides, obviously you
left out the sugar! More obviously, you were joking, but I don't care
about that, since I am such a serious person.

:-)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Doughnuts, yeast-leavened, glazed, enriched

Water 23%
Protein 6
Fat 19
Carbs 51

Sugar (included in carbs) 20

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 10:50 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> Doug > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think they are in competition because Tim Horton's showcase
>>> product is there donuts with coffee as the secondary product.

>> Not in Canada. Tim's coffee is the drug of choice of the military in
>> Afghanistan, so much so that DND engineered a Tim's outlet at KAF:

> Interesting - Dunkin Donuts openly claims that their coffee is their
> showcase product. Their founder was quite fussy about every detail of
> their coffee and its quality. It puts Tim Horton into direct head to
> head competition with a very large chain. I am pleasantly surprised that
> they have managed to thrive outside of Toronto and Buffalo where his
> name is famous from his long and distinguished hockey career. I sure
> went into one the first time because I remember watching him play on the
> Buffalo Sabres back when I still followed sports.
>
> I've tried the coffee at Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts in the same day.
> Dunkin stays a little bit better to me. I'm wheat intolerant so I tend
> to avoid the donuts (If I'm going to poison myself on purpose I'll do it
> with chicken fried steak to make it worth the symptoms) but the Tim
> Horton ones smelled better than the Dunkin Donuts one and my wife
> reported their flavor tracked their aroma.

I have tried both places on many occasions. Dunkin Donuts coffee is
better than Tim Horton's coffee. Tim's donuts are better than Dunkin's.
I used to go nuts over a package of Tim Bits.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> I have tried both places on many occasions. Dunkin Donuts coffee is
> better than Tim Horton's coffee. Tim's donuts are better than Dunkin's.
> I used to go nuts over a package of Tim Bits.

In Canada?

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Interesting - Dunkin Donuts openly claims that their coffee is their
>> showcase product. Their founder was quite fussy about every detail of
>> their coffee and its quality.

> Oddly enough, it is the one coffee from a doughnut place that I found
> tasted like dishwater the one time I bought one.

There's no reason for any one person to agree with product surveys. Or
maybe you tried them at ones that should have failed their remedial
coffee machine operation classes. Only once? About equal chances it
was a fluke or your tastes are different from most. I know my tastes
are different from most - I like darker stronger bolder more burned and
more bitter coffee than most.

> Tim's doughnuts have been found (in an exhaustive analysis posed on Radio-
> Canada and referred to here in the past) to have less crappy ingredients
> than either Donkey Donuts or Krusty Kreme.
>
> Mind you, doughnuts are still 50% fat, 40% flour and 10% protein.

Chortle. I'm not all that sure that Krappy Kreme donuts have any
protein. I'm wheat intolerant and they are the only donut brand I've
tried that don't give me symptoms (except breaking out in fat). I
figure they must use some sort of ultrarefined flour that has all of the
nutrients refined out, especially the protein.

There's something seriously wrong with any donut that fails to give me
indigestion and an assortment of other symptoms. That bit comes with
both a smiley :-) and a frowny :-( at the same time. There's some sort
of irony to the fact that the only donuts this foodie can eat are the
ones from Krappy Kreme.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote in news:i6omn2$25t$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

>> Oddly enough, it is the one coffee from a doughnut place that I found
>> tasted like dishwater the one time I bought one.

> There's no reason for any one person to agree with product surveys. Or
> maybe you tried them at ones that should have failed their remedial
> coffee machine operation classes. Only once? About equal chances it
> was a fluke or your tastes are different from most.

I like coffee made fresh from fresh roasted dark beans and I dislike canned
coffee of the type sold in stupormarkets. You know what they say about
once...once got a bad cup of coffee, twice never going to do it again.

We have excellent coffee places here (in Little Italy for example) so that
we certainly don't need to buy from "popular" outlets.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 2:43 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Janet > wrote in news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3
> @news.astraweb.com:
>
>> I have tried both places on many occasions. Dunkin Donuts coffee is
>> better than Tim Horton's coffee. Tim's donuts are better than Dunkin's.
>> I used to go nuts over a package of Tim Bits.

> In Canada?

Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
hospitable people (with the exception of one province). Don't know if
we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
:

> On 9/14/2010 2:43 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> Janet > wrote in
>> news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:
>>
>>> I have tried both places on many occasions. Dunkin Donuts coffee is
>>> better than Tim Horton's coffee. Tim's donuts are better than
>>> Dunkin's. I used to go nuts over a package of Tim Bits.

>> In Canada?

> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
> hospitable people (with the exception of one province).

Alberta, right? Which province is unfriendly in Canada depends largely on
who you are, where you are from and how many prejudgments have been foisted
on you before you got there. Alberta, on the other hand, is a case of the
surlies gone wild.

> Don't know if
> we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
> would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.

I didn't know Newfoundland was renowned for its dim sum...dim bulbs, yes
:-)

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
:

> On 9/14/2010 2:43 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> Janet > wrote in
>> news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:
>>
>>> I have tried both places on many occasions. Dunkin Donuts coffee is
>>> better than Tim Horton's coffee. Tim's donuts are better than
>>> Dunkin's. I used to go nuts over a package of Tim Bits.

>> In Canada?
>>

> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
> hospitable people (with the exception of one province). Don't know if
> we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
> would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.

It must have been *good* Dim Sum to travel all the way back there for it!!

What made it special?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 7:49 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Janet > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 9/14/2010 2:43 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>>> Janet > wrote in
>>> news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:

>>> In Canada?

>> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
>> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
>> hospitable people (with the exception of one province).

> Alberta, right? Which province is unfriendly in Canada depends largely on
> who you are, where you are from and how many prejudgments have been foisted
> on you before you got there. Alberta, on the other hand, is a case of the
> surlies gone wild.

Wrong. We found the people in Alberta to be quite nice. We have been
there a few times. I love the Canadian Rockies.

>> Don't know if
>> we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
>> would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.

> I didn't know Newfoundland was renowned for its dim sum...dim bulbs, yes
> :-)

The people who live in Newfoundland are the most wonderful folks. They
have very little yet they are eminently hospitable. I adore their music
and even like fish and brewis and Jiggs dinner. No dim sum in
Newfoundland, but some of the best dim sum in the western hemisphere is
in Vancouver.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 8:00 PM, PLucas wrote:
> Janet > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 9/14/2010 2:43 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>>> Janet > wrote in
>>> news:4c8fca8d$0$9930$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:

>>> In Canada?
>>>

>> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
>> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
>> hospitable people (with the exception of one province). Don't know if
>> we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
>> would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.
>>

> It must have been *good* Dim Sum to travel all the way back there for it!!
>
> What made it special?

Before Hong Hong went back to the Chinese, lots of natives migrated to
Vancouver, BC. Dim sum is a big thing in Hong Hong and these people
brought it with them. The variety offered there is much bigger than I've
seen any where else. Definitely worth a return visit.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4c903140$0$14429
:

>>> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
>>> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
>>> hospitable people (with the exception of one province). Don't know if
>>> we'll ever gt back t this point, but if we travel to Canada again, it
>>> would be to go back to Newfoundland and Vancouver, BC for dim sum.
>>>

>> It must have been *good* Dim Sum to travel all the way back there for

it!!

>> What made it special?
>>

> Before Hong Hong went back to the Chinese, lots of natives migrated to
> Vancouver, BC. Dim sum is a big thing in Hong Hong and these people
> brought it with them. The variety offered there is much bigger than I've
> seen any where else. Definitely worth a return visit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, food for thought (no pun intended!!).

The SO and I were going to go to Vietnam for our next holiday, as back
when we decided, it was basically going to be a foodie holiday with a bit
of sightseeing. Now that option is out of the equation, we've decided to
go to Canada/Alaska instead..... mainly for the sightseeing/scenery etc.
Food is now a *very* small 'ingredient' in our holiday plans, but knowing
they have excellent dim sum/yum-cha over there is a bonus :-)

I *love* dim sum/yum-cha, and can handle a couple of small portions.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
:

> On 9/14/2010 7:49 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> Janet > wrote in
>> :

>>> Oui, Canada. We have been in every Canadian province and The Yukon
>>> Territory. Y'all have an awesome country with very friendly and
>>> hospitable people (with the exception of one province).

>> Alberta, right? Which province is unfriendly in Canada depends largely
>> on who you are, where you are from and how many prejudgments have been
>> foisted on you before you got there. Alberta, on the other hand, is a
>> case of the surlies gone wild.

> Wrong. We found the people in Alberta to be quite nice. We have been
> there a few times. I love the Canadian Rockies.

So which province was the exception?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie > wrote in
5:

>>> Alberta, right? Which province is unfriendly in Canada depends largely
>>> on who you are, where you are from and how many prejudgments have been
>>> foisted on you before you got there. Alberta, on the other hand, is a
>>> case of the surlies gone wild.

>> Wrong. We found the people in Alberta to be quite nice. We have been
>> there a few times. I love the Canadian Rockies.

Of course, I have lived there (four years) and have dealt with them on a
more than superficial level, so I think I can say this with some degree of
confidence.

When I worked for Information Canada, we collected (public) information to
create access files for the public and the press with names of high ranking
officials in both federal and provincial governments. It was my job then
(1975ish) to update the lists from time to time as the Canadian Almanach
was always two years behind. I noticed that as I called from east to west,
I encountered more resistance and people were less cooperative until it got
to Alberta and that was the lowest in terms of cooperation. BC was fine
however.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:53:10 -0500, Michel Boucher
> wrote:

>When I worked for Information Canada, we collected (public) information to
>create access files for the public and the press with names of high ranking
>officials in both federal and provincial governments. It was my job then
>(1975ish) to update the lists from time to time as the Canadian Almanach
>was always two years behind. I noticed that as I called from east to west,
>I encountered more resistance and people were less cooperative until it got
>to Alberta and that was the lowest in terms of cooperation. BC was fine
>however.

Alberta probably didn't take kindly to Quebec's rabble rousing at the
time with all that silly talk about succeeding from Canada.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> Alberta probably didn't take kindly to Quebec's rabble rousing at the
> time with all that silly talk about succeeding from Canada.

You might think so, but you would be sadly misinformed. When Alberta was
having problems with the National Energy Plan, it was Québec that prposed a
viable solution which serve to enrich every citizen of the province by
canny management of the resource taxes. Albertans are blithely ignorant of
this (or choose to ignore it).

Whenever a province has an issue with the federal government, Québec is
there to help (because after all it has been dealing with the federal
government since 1791).

And it might interest you to know that Alberta has also threatened (at
times) to secede, as has Newfoundland. You might want to read up on
current affairs :-)

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2010 9:47 PM, Aussie wrote:
> Janet > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 9/14/2010 7:49 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>>> Janet > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Alberta, right? Which province is unfriendly in Canada depends largely
>>> on who you are, where you are from and how many prejudgments have been
>>> foisted on you before you got there. Alberta, on the other hand, is a
>>> case of the surlies gone wild.

>> Wrong. We found the people in Alberta to be quite nice. We have been
>> there a few times. I love the Canadian Rockies.

> So which province was the exception?

I hope this doesn't cause any hurt feelings, but we found the people in
Quebec to be extremely rude and not at all tourist friendly. (They are
even rude when they come here to way-the-heck-south Texas for the winter.)

It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but
they make travel there a less than happy experience. We did not find
that same attitude in the French-speaking people of New Brunswick. They
were lovely. The people in Paris were also very helpful and friendly, so
it has to be something Quebec and not French-speaking.

We were watching a NYC TV station after our visit to Quebec Province and
there was an ad for tourism stressing the "friendliness" of Quebec. It
seems that I'm not the only one who experienced rudeness and they have
to have an ad campaign to convince people otherwise. JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2010 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:53:10 -0500, Michel Boucher
> > wrote:
>
>> When I worked for Information Canada, we collected (public) information to
>> create access files for the public and the press with names of high ranking
>> officials in both federal and provincial governments. It was my job then
>> (1975ish) to update the lists from time to time as the Canadian Almanach
>> was always two years behind. I noticed that as I called from east to west,
>> I encountered more resistance and people were less cooperative until it got
>> to Alberta and that was the lowest in terms of cooperation. BC was fine
>> however.

> Alberta probably didn't take kindly to Quebec's rabble rousing at the
> time with all that silly talk about succeeding from Canada.

I have quite a few Canadian friends who say that they wish Quebec would
secede.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/09/2010 2:44 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I hope this doesn't cause any hurt feelings, but we found the people in
> Quebec to be extremely rude and not at all tourist friendly. (They are
> even rude when they come here to way-the-heck-south Texas for the winter.)

It doesn't surprise me at all. They can be a snotty bunch and you won't
be the first to say that. I have to say that I have not had a problem in
Quebec but heard horror stories from others.

> It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but they
> make travel there a less than happy experience.

Some of them can be very warm and friendly. Others can be outright jerks.

> We did not find that
> same attitude in the French-speaking people of New Brunswick. They were
> lovely. The people in Paris were also very helpful and friendly, so it
> has to be something Quebec and not French-speaking.

I have a couple of French Canadian friends who hate Quebecers. One was
born in Quebec and the other in New Brunswick. Then there is the guy
who used to life in the apartment at his in-law's farm directly behind
us. He told me about driving along doing the speed limit during a light
rain and with his window open as he was headed along the highway to
Gaspe. Some local yokel passed him and yelled for him to "go home". He
was going home. He is from the Gaspe. Some of his family had problems
with his wife. She has an anglo name because the stepfather who adopted
her is an anglo, but her mother is French and she and her sister were
raised with French as their first language, went to French schools in
Ontario and then she went to university in France and worked over there
for a few years. Her French was better than theirs, but they don't
consider her to be a Quebecois.

> We were watching a NYC TV station after our visit to Quebec Province and
> there was an ad for tourism stressing the "friendliness" of Quebec. It
> seems that I'm not the only one who experienced rudeness and they have
> to have an ad campaign to convince people otherwise. JMHO

I have similar problems with Via Rail advertising for passengers. Train
service in Canada sucks big time. The local line service is bad enough
but I once took the train from Calgary to Vancouver. The scenery is
beautiful but I really had the impression that they didn't want to be
bothered with passengers.

FWIW, my son was working for a microbrewery restaurant in Montreal and
was transferred to Toronto to open up a new one for the company. He
speaks very highly of the work ethic of his old Montreal staff, despite
earlier issues about a non Quebecois managing French staff. He is having
a hard time finding and keeping staff in Toronto. They just aren't as
reliable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/09/2010 2:45 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:53:10 -0500, Michel Boucher
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> When I worked for Information Canada, we collected (public)
>>> information to
>>> create access files for the public and the press with names of high
>>> ranking
>>> officials in both federal and provincial governments. It was my job then
>>> (1975ish) to update the lists from time to time as the Canadian Almanach
>>> was always two years behind. I noticed that as I called from east to
>>> west,
>>> I encountered more resistance and people were less cooperative until
>>> it got
>>> to Alberta and that was the lowest in terms of cooperation. BC was fine
>>> however.

>> Alberta probably didn't take kindly to Quebec's rabble rousing at the
>> time with all that silly talk about succeeding from Canada.
>>

> I have quite a few Canadian friends who say that they wish Quebec would
> secede.

They keep threatening to go. They have had several referendums. They are
getting far too much federal money. The curious thing is that they
don't really want to go. They are talking about some sort of sovereignty
association, as if they can secede and still control the rest of the
country. The rest of us figure that if they go, they go, and perhaps the
rest of us should have a referendum to decide if we will let them stay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:53:10 -0500, Michel Boucher
> > wrote:
>
>>When I worked for Information Canada, we collected (public) information
>>to create access files for the public and the press with names of high
>>ranking officials in both federal and provincial governments. It was my
>>job then (1975ish) to update the lists from time to time as the Canadian
>>Almanach was always two years behind. I noticed that as I called from
>>east to west, I encountered more resistance and people were less
>>cooperative until it got to Alberta and that was the lowest in terms of
>>cooperation. BC was fine however.

> Alberta probably didn't take kindly to Quebec's rabble rousing at the
> time with all that silly talk about succeeding from Canada.

Quebec probably succeeded in most things it did. Maybe you meant 'seceding'?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4c9113fa$0$14086
:

> On 9/14/2010 9:47 PM, Aussie wrote:

>> So which province was the exception?
>>

> I hope this doesn't cause any hurt feelings, but we found the people in
> Quebec to be extremely rude and not at all tourist friendly. (They are
> even rude when they come here to way-the-heck-south Texas for the

winter.)

> It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but
> they make travel there a less than happy experience. We did not find
> that same attitude in the French-speaking people of New Brunswick. They
> were lovely. The people in Paris were also very helpful and friendly, so
> it has to be something Quebec and not French-speaking.
>
> We were watching a NYC TV station after our visit to Quebec Province and
> there was an ad for tourism stressing the "friendliness" of Quebec. It
> seems that I'm not the only one who experienced rudeness and they have
> to have an ad campaign to convince people otherwise. JMHO

Hmmmm, interesting!!

Initially, we were only going to visit the west coast of Canaidia,and do
the Rockies/Inside Passage thing, but now, with a couple of weeks up our
sleeves, the plan is to go across the state and hit the east coast as
well....... so we'll most likely get to experience the Q'bekians
'friendliness' :-)

We've done it before when travelling....... if one province/town/city
isn't friendly and helpful to us when we arrive, we say "Up yours" and
keep going till we find the friendly part... and spend all our money
there.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:gh9ko.67684$Vg4.6523
@unlimited.newshosting.com:

>> It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but they
>> make travel there a less than happy experience.

> Some of them can be very warm and friendly. Others can be outright jerks.

I'd say that's a pretty general statement for any place in the world.
Québec is not unique in that respect. So why does it get singled out? I
suspect it's because they expect to speak English to everyone and lightning
shoots out their ass when people don't look upon it so kindly. It's the
same situation I would encounter if I went to Texas and spoke only French.
Only, I know not to do that.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:zj9ko.67685$Vg4.14499
@unlimited.newshosting.com:

> The rest of us figure that if they go, they go, and perhaps the
> rest of us should have a referendum to decide if we will let them stay.

Doesn't work that way, though.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2010 2:54 PM, Aussie wrote:
> Janet > wrote in news:4c9113fa$0$14086
> :
>
>> On 9/14/2010 9:47 PM, Aussie wrote:

>>> So which province was the exception?
>>>

>> I hope this doesn't cause any hurt feelings, but we found the people in
>> Quebec to be extremely rude and not at all tourist friendly. (They are
>> even rude when they come here to way-the-heck-south Texas for the

> winter.)
>>
>> It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but
>> they make travel there a less than happy experience. We did not find
>> that same attitude in the French-speaking people of New Brunswick. They
>> were lovely. The people in Paris were also very helpful and friendly, so
>> it has to be something Quebec and not French-speaking.
>>
>> We were watching a NYC TV station after our visit to Quebec Province and
>> there was an ad for tourism stressing the "friendliness" of Quebec. It
>> seems that I'm not the only one who experienced rudeness and they have
>> to have an ad campaign to convince people otherwise. JMHO
>>

> Hmmmm, interesting!!
>
> Initially, we were only going to visit the west coast of Canaidia,and do
> the Rockies/Inside Passage thing, but now, with a couple of weeks up our
> sleeves, the plan is to go across the state and hit the east coast as
> well....... so we'll most likely get to experience the Q'bekians
> 'friendliness' :-)
>
> We've done it before when travelling....... if one province/town/city
> isn't friendly and helpful to us when we arrive, we say "Up yours" and
> keep going till we find the friendly part... and spend all our money
> there.

I have traveled across the Trans Canada Highway. The cities are lovely,
but be prepared for some boredom when crossing the Prairie provinces.
Manitoba and Saskatchewan don't have much to see from the highway. It is
totally and completely flat with nothing but miles and miles (I guess it
would be kilometers and kilometers) of wheat fields. When we spotted a
grain elevator, it was a hooray! moment.

Do spend some time in the Canadian Rockies. They are extremely gorgeous.
The Ice Fields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is touristy but the
scenery is heavenly. There are also a couple of lovely hot springs in
that area. Lake Louise is drop-dead gorgeous. Take a ride to Moraine
Lake, too and climb the rock pile. The last time we were there Moraine
Lake had been "discovered" so there was a snack place and lots of
activity, but it's still breathtakingly beautiful.

If you are going to Eastern Canada, don't miss the Maritime provinces. I
am particularly fond of Nova Scotia and the Cape Breton area there.
Wonderful music! Lobster dinners aren't too bad either :-)

While in the Vancouver area, take the ferry to Victoria. Buchart Gardens
is a don't miss and Victoria,the city on the island, is darling.

I am getting wanderlust just typing this. We need to find us another RV.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4c912a48$0$16571
:

> The cities are lovely,
> but be prepared for some boredom when crossing the Prairie provinces.
> Manitoba and Saskatchewan don't have much to see from the highway.

And there are also some great Saskatchewan jokes, one retold by Allan
Fotheringham.

Two middle aged ladies from somewhere in the United STates decide to
travel the entire continent by rail. Somewhere in a very flat area, the
train stops and one looks outside. There is a young man leaning on the
station wall, chewing on a toothpick.

"Excuse me, young man," she said, "can you tell me where we are?"

The young man removes the toothpick and says quite clearly: "Saskatoon
Saskatchewan".

The lady turns to her friend with a big smile: "They don't even speak
English around here!"

The other one is the infamous Chinese Restaurant sketch from the days
when the Air Farce was still funny:

A couple are seated at a Chinese restaurant. The waiter comes over. The
man asks his companion what she would like to eat. She replies: "You
order. You're so sophisticated."

The man then addresses the waiter: "I've heard the chef is from Sichuan."

"Yes yes", replies the waiter.

"Where in Sichuan is he from? Chongqing? Chengdu? Nanchong?", asks the
man.

"Chongqing? Chengdu?", repeats the waiter, "no no! He from Sastoon
Sashwan!"

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2010 3:18 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Dave > wrote in news:gh9ko.67684$Vg4.6523
> @unlimited.newshosting.com:
>
>>> It could be that our version of polite isn't in their culture, but they
>>> make travel there a less than happy experience.

>> Some of them can be very warm and friendly. Others can be outright jerks.

> I'd say that's a pretty general statement for any place in the world.
> Québec is not unique in that respect. So why does it get singled out? I
> suspect it's because they expect to speak English to everyone and lightning
> shoots out their ass when people don't look upon it so kindly. It's the
> same situation I would encounter if I went to Texas and spoke only French.
> Only, I know not to do that.

Michel,

I do speak French. Not like a native, but I speak very passable French.
When I spoke French in Montreal, the people mocked me and sneered at me.
I absolutely made certain to begin every sentence with bonjour
monsiuer/madame and pardone moi. (I can't spell in English either)

We have friends who were born and raised in Montreal. They are not of
French heritage, but he was very high up in the school system before he
retired and had taken special classes so that his French was as close to
the regional French as possible. We went out to dinner with him and his
wife and he ordered in French and the young waitress laughed in his
face. It was humiliating for every one.

We spent a week in Montreal and visited some very nice museums and even
paid admission (which I have never done anywhere else) to visit the
Cathedral. About 6 years before this trip we spent a week in Quebec City
and encountered the same attitude.

I'm pretty much done with Quebec Province. If they really cared about my
tourist dollars they would be friendlier to tourists.

Thank goodness we know how to treat our winter guests here in way-south
Texas. Though we aren't fond of the attitude the Quebecois bring with
them, we tolerate it and smile because they are good for the economy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2010 4:44 PM, Admin wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:18:08 -0500, Michel Boucher
> > wrote:
>
>> Dave > wrote in news:gh9ko.67684$Vg4.6523
>> @unlimited.newshosting.com:

>>> Some of them can be very warm and friendly. Others can be outright jerks.

>> I'd say that's a pretty general statement for any place in the world.
>> Québec is not unique in that respect. So why does it get singled out? I
>> suspect it's because they expect to speak English to everyone and lightning
>> shoots out their ass when people don't look upon it so kindly. It's the
>> same situation I would encounter if I went to Texas and spoke only French.
>> Only, I know not to do that.

> You seem to forget that we have two official languages French and
> English. At the very least anyone in the tourist industry in Quebec
> should speak both languages.

New Brunswick is bi-lingual. Quebec has *one* official language, French.

The only signs you will find in Quebec that are in both languages are
federal signs, not provincial. Quebec has a "language police" that check
signage to make sure the French words are twice the size of any other
language.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4c9147b4$0$10328
:

> Quebec has a "language police" that check
> signage to make sure the French words are twice the size of any other
> language.

However, there is no limitation on what the other language (or languages)
can be so that Greek merchants can have French and Greek and English,
Jewish merchants French and Hebrew and Bantu, English merchants French and
English and Finnish, if they so choose. I fail to see where that
discriminates.

In English-speaking areas of the country, English dominates signage and no
one thinks twice about it.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 3:19*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 3:18 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:> Dave > *wrote in news:gh9ko.67684$Vg4.6523
> > @unlimited.newshosting.com:

> >> Some of them can be very warm and friendly. Others can be outright jerks.

> > I'd say that's a pretty general statement for any place in the world.
> > Québec is not unique in that respect. *So why does it get singled out? *I
> > suspect it's because they expect to speak English to everyone and lightning
> > shoots out their ass when people don't look upon it so kindly. *It's the
> > same situation I would encounter if I went to Texas and spoke only French.
> > Only, I know not to do that.

> Michel,
>
> I do speak French. Not like a native, but I speak very passable French.
> When I spoke French in Montreal, the people mocked me and sneered at me.
> I absolutely made certain to begin every sentence with bonjour
> monsiuer/madame and pardone moi. (I can't spell in English either)
>
> We have friends who were born and raised in Montreal. They are not of
> French heritage, but he was very high up in the school system before he
> retired and had taken special classes so that his French was as close to
> the regional French as possible. We went out to dinner with him and his
> wife and he ordered in French and the young waitress laughed in his
> face. It was humiliating for every one.
>
> We spent a week in Montreal and visited some very nice museums and even
> paid admission (which I have never done anywhere else) to visit the
> Cathedral. About 6 years before this trip we spent a week in Quebec City
> and encountered the same attitude.

I've experienced somewhat the same thing. People in Montreal don't
want you to try to speak French. They don't really speak French
either, just some kind of hillbilly dialect, but what the heck.
(Americans don't speak the Queen's English, either.) People in Quebec
City are more tolerant of attempted French.

'R' is the hardest sound to recognizably produce. Just avoid all words
iwth an r in them and you'll be fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can get hot coco anywhere.

--