Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Willing To Pay Higher Restaurant Prices?

The NY Times this week has a story about federal efforts to prosecute
restaurants that hire illegal immigrants in their kitchens.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/di...tml?ref=dining

The punishments being sought seem quite severe, probably indicating
the government's desire to be taken seriously. From the story, the
scope of the practice seems large:

"Out of a total of about 12.7 million workers in the restaurant
industry, an estimated 1.4 million — both legal and illegal immigrants
— are foreign born, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
According to 2008 estimates from the Pew Hispanic Center, about 20
percent of the nearly 2.6 million chefs, head cooks and cooks are
illegal immigrants. Among the 360,000 dishwashers, 28 percent are
undocumented, according to the estimates.

"Those numbers sounded low to a Manhattan chef and restaurateur who
spoke on the condition of anonymity because he does not want to draw
attention to his TriBeCa restaurant.

' “We always, always hire the undocumented workers,” he said. “It’s
not just me, it’s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
paid as well. It’s an economic decision. It’s less expensive to hire
an undocumented person.” '

So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
them, will you eat out as much as before? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 12:56*pm, aem > wrote:

<snip>

> ' “We always, always hire the undocumented workers,” he said. “It’s
> not just me, it’s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
> to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
> paid as well. It’s an economic decision. It’s less expensive to hire
> an undocumented person.” '
>
> So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
> them, will you eat out as much as before? * -aem

My first thought - if prices were to rise - let's say arbitrarily 15%
to 20% -
I would not alter my dining out habits. If prices were to double, I
would reconsider my habits and likely reduce the frequency of dining
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 3:42*pm, KevinS > wrote:
> On Sep 10, 12:56*pm, aem > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > ' “We always, always hire the undocumented workers,” he said. “It’s
> > not just me, it’s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
> > to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
> > paid as well. It’s an economic decision. It’s less expensive to hire
> > an undocumented person.” '

> > So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
> > them, will you eat out as much as before? * -aem

> My first thought - if prices were to rise - let's say arbitrarily 15%
> to 20% -
> I would not alter my dining out habits. If prices were to double, I
> would reconsider my habits and likely reduce the frequency of dining
> out.

If compensation for kitchen and bussing staff went up 50%, that
shouldn't raise prices more than your 15% because the rent wouldn't go
up, the food costs don't go up, and the higher paid skill jobs don't
go up. I'd like to see every single illegal Mexican out of the USA,
but I'd also like to open up to plenty of legal Mexican immigrants.
All undocumented workers harm the working class. Folks who exploit
undocumented folks should be imprisoned at hard labor.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2010 6:40 PM, Bryan wrote:

> If compensation for kitchen and bussing staff went up 50%, that
> shouldn't raise prices more than your 15% because the rent wouldn't go
> up, the food costs don't go up, and the higher paid skill jobs don't
> go up. I'd like to see every single illegal Mexican out of the USA,
> but I'd also like to open up to plenty of legal Mexican immigrants.
> All undocumented workers harm the working class. Folks who exploit
> undocumented folks should be imprisoned at hard labor.

Big fines for restaurants who hire illegal workers might have a bigger
impact on prices than decent wages. Prices in most places have a lot
more to do with what the market bears than with the cost of labour.
Restaurant jobs tend to pay minimum wage,and even the immigrants aren't
working for much less than minimum. In most cases they are probably
already getting minimum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:42:28 -0700 (PDT), KevinS >
wrote:

> On Sep 10, 12:56*pm, aem > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > ' “We always, always hire the undocumented workers,” he said. “It’s
> > not just me, it’s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
> > to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
> > paid as well. It’s an economic decision. It’s less expensive to hire
> > an undocumented person.” '
> >
> > So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
> > them, will you eat out as much as before? * -aem

> My first thought - if prices were to rise - let's say arbitrarily 15%
> to 20% -
> I would not alter my dining out habits. If prices were to double, I
> would reconsider my habits and likely reduce the frequency of dining
> out.

We didn't change our dining out habits after restaurant workers were
paid a decent wage and prices went up. Restaurants have done a good
job here of watching the bottom line of a diner's wallet anyway.
There are plenty of $10-15 or $25-50 and early bird specials.
Something for everyone. Of course if you want to blow your whole
paycheck on one meal, there are still places that are happy to oblige.

Having two retired people in the household does mean that our income
has reduced somewhat and we don't eat out as much; but frankly we
didn't give it any conscious thought because we have the time and
energy to do more cooking at home now. I'm never happy slamming a
meal together in 30 minutes or less; because I enjoy the cooking
process and the end result.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 6:00*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 6:40 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > If compensation for kitchen and bussing staff went up 50%, that
> > shouldn't raise prices more than your 15% because the rent wouldn't go
> > up, the food costs don't go up, and the higher paid skill jobs don't
> > go up. *I'd like to see every single illegal Mexican out of the USA,
> > but I'd also like to open up to plenty of legal Mexican immigrants.
> > All undocumented workers harm the working class. *Folks who exploit
> > undocumented folks should be imprisoned at hard labor.

> Big fines for restaurants who hire illegal workers might have a bigger
> impact on *prices than decent wages. Prices in most places have a lot
> more to do with what the market bears than with the cost of labour.
> Restaurant jobs tend to pay minimum wage,and even the immigrants aren't
> working for much less than minimum. In most cases they are probably
> already getting minimum.

After one big fine, they might never risk another. A big part of that
"what the market bears" is locationlocationlocation. Savvy landlords
raise rents when an area becomes more attractive.

--Bryan, who is going to *be* a landlord for the first time, which is
weird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2010 3:56 PM, aem wrote:
> The NY Times this week has a story about federal efforts to prosecute
> restaurants that hire illegal immigrants in their kitchens.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/di...tml?ref=dining
>
> The punishments being sought seem quite severe, probably indicating
> the government's desire to be taken seriously. From the story, the
> scope of the practice seems large:
>
> "Out of a total of about 12.7 million workers in the restaurant
> industry, an estimated 1.4 million � both legal and illegal immigrants
> � are foreign born, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
> According to 2008 estimates from the Pew Hispanic Center, about 20
> percent of the nearly 2.6 million chefs, head cooks and cooks are
> illegal immigrants. Among the 360,000 dishwashers, 28 percent are
> undocumented, according to the estimates.
>
> "Those numbers sounded low to a Manhattan chef and restaurateur who
> spoke on the condition of anonymity because he does not want to draw
> attention to his TriBeCa restaurant.
>
> ' �We always, always hire the undocumented workers,� he said. �It�s
> not just me, it�s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
> to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
> paid as well. It�s an economic decision. It�s less expensive to hire
> an undocumented person.� '
>
> So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
> them, will you eat out as much as before? -aem

The law is on the books. Fine them. Seize their business. Send them to jail.
Many of the chains are following the law and and prices haven't risen.
How do you justify wage slavery regardless of being Illegal or not?????
That is what you are talking about. They pay them below minimum wage off
the books or otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
The NY Times this week has a story about federal efforts to prosecute
restaurants that hire illegal immigrants in their kitchens.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/di...tml?ref=dining

(snippage)

So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
them, will you eat out as much as before? -aem
**************
I'm not a huge fan of eating out so it doesn't bother me in the least. I
can just as easily (and usually more inexpensively) make it at home.

A restaurant described as Chinese-Japanese (rather odd) called The Jade
Garden in Beaufort was shut down last March because not only were all the
employees illegal aliens, so was the owner. It was all over the local news.
But, surprise! the place was open again a week later. I don't think these
sort of actions have much affect on anything, much less on people eating out
or on the prices.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> --Bryan, who is going to *be* a landlord for the first time, which is
> weird

Will you be placing restrictions in the lease concerning the foods that you
will allow your prospective tenants to bring onto the premises, prepare and
consume?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 11/09/2010 00:40, Bryan ha scritto:

> If compensation for kitchen and bussing staff went up 50%, that
> shouldn't raise prices more than your 15% because the rent wouldn't go
> up, the food costs don't go up, and the higher paid skill jobs don't
> go up.

My same thougth. The only thing that would go up would be the salary of
the least paid members of the staff, so the effect on the total can't be
big.

> I'd like to see every single illegal Mexican out of the USA,
> but I'd also like to open up to plenty of legal Mexican immigrants.
> All undocumented workers harm the working class. Folks who exploit
> undocumented folks should be imprisoned at hard labor.

I heard that in Canada they go to jail, and I strongly support this. I'd
love to have the same law here in Italy, where the illegal undocumented
work issue is getting greater every day. There you have mexicans? Hee we
have chinese and the situation is the same. Who hires chinese illegals
(almost always another chinese) does it in order to pay them like 200
euro per month instead of a minimum of 800-900 for a full time worker.
Then comes the italian part of it, with companies outsourcing theyr work
to these chinese-run sweatshops scattered all around Italy.
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 11/09/2010 05:34, jmcquown ha scritto:

> A restaurant described as Chinese-Japanese (rather odd) called The Jade
> Garden in Beaufort was shut down last March because not only were all
> the employees illegal aliens, so was the owner. It was all over the
> local news. But, surprise! the place was open again a week later. I
> don't think these sort of actions have much affect on anything, much
> less on people eating out or on the prices.

That's eactly what happens in Italy when the LEOs discover a sweatshop
of illegals: a ridiculous fine, and after a week it's all just as
before. If they catch the same owner again he gets another fine, maybe
bigger but ridiculous anyway, and a some-months restriction which denies
him the right to run a company: so he puts his brother in his place and
it all goes on like before.
This people hiring illegals must do jail, much jail, and be denied the
roght to run any operation involving employees of any kind for very long
time.
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 11/09/2010 15:25, Bryan ha scritto:

>> I heard that in Canada they go to jail, and I strongly support this. I'd
>> love to have the same law here in Italy, where the illegal undocumented
>> work issue is getting greater every day. There you have mexicans? Hee we
>> have chinese and the situation is the same. Who hires chinese illegals
>> (almost always another chinese) does it in order to pay them like 200
>> euro per month instead of a minimum of 800-900 for a full time worker.
>> Then comes the italian part of it, with companies outsourcing theyr work
>> to these chinese-run sweatshops scattered all around Italy.

> As long as you have a prime minister who is a neo-fascist, businesses
> getting away with that is to be expected.

The trouble is that when the this small-scale mafia-made dux loses the
elections, things don't freaking change. The alternative is the same
freaks who didn't say nothing when he started to run for premier
notwhistanding laws forbidding this, in Italy. And they never did
nothing for the working class. Have you ever read some aout the famous
"legge Biagi" (Biagi Act), killed by the new branches of the vrigate
Rosse hard leftwing terrorists? The left wing cried against this law
saying that it brougth too much "precariato" (working today without
knowing if you'll be working tomorrow). As Berlusconi lost the 2006
elections, the left went straigth on to disapply the 69th article of
that "legge Biagi", thus denying the employee's benefits to tenths of
thousands of workers. This is the alternative to Berlusconi, just
another bunch of clowns willing to sell the workers's asses to the
corporations' guys (confindustria is the name, here).
So the issue is not the midfascist midget from Arcore, it's Italy
itself, where every political formation winning the elections
immediately starts to please Confindustria while showering the working
class with lies and fake promises.
Anyway I agree with you about this dwarf: I can't realize why people
votes him. He pretendes to stay on the right wing? OK, right wing also
means law & order: he filled his home, his corporations and his
goverments with "gentlemen" who got sentenced even twice for "having had
relations with mafia", a heavy offense for italian law. Previti got 11
years, Dell'Utri (co-founder of berlusconi's party) was sentence dto 7
years for the same offense.
If one is right handend and knows that right also means law & order, how
can this guy vote for a person who's lived more than 30 years among mand
along with mafia men? I TV is in his hands, not a small thing, ut, hell...
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/09/2010 3:24 AM, ViLco wrote:
> Il 11/09/2010 05:34, jmcquown ha scritto:
>
>> A restaurant described as Chinese-Japanese (rather odd) called The Jade
>> Garden in Beaufort was shut down last March because not only were all
>> the employees illegal aliens, so was the owner. It was all over the
>> local news. But, surprise! the place was open again a week later. I
>> don't think these sort of actions have much affect on anything, much
>> less on people eating out or on the prices.

> That's eactly what happens in Italy when the LEOs discover a sweatshop
> of illegals: a ridiculous fine, and after a week it's all just as
> before. If they catch the same owner again he gets another fine, maybe
> bigger but ridiculous anyway, and a some-months restriction which denies
> him the right to run a company: so he puts his brother in his place and
> it all goes on like before.
> This people hiring illegals must do jail, much jail, and be denied the
> roght to run any operation involving employees of any kind for very long
> time.

Some people whine that fines are just a money grab for the government,
but when it comes to businesses, there are some companies out there who
are willing to accept that small fines are just another cost of doing
business.

I was in the commercial vehicle enforcement business at a time when
there was upper management and a government that understood that what
they needed to do was to make it more expensive to get caught operating
unlawfully than it was to comply.

As an example, brake adjustment was always one of our worst compliance
problems. More than 50% of the trucks on the road with air brakes had
brakes out of adjustment. It is a simple problem to detect and to
repair, and truck drivers are required to do pre-trip inspections.

We used to just put them out of service so there would be down time and
the cost of road service if they could not adjust them themselves. We
were pushed to start laying charges, and the fine was $90. It didn't do
much good. They boosted the fine to $180. Still not much improvement.
Then they boosted the fine to almost $500. Withing a few months the out
of service rate for brake adjustment plummeted.

Sure, the truckers whined that it was a money grab, but the fact is that
the fine was so high that they didn't want to get nailed with it. It
took a $500 to get them to comply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 8:32*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > No, though luckily the woman who is renting it is not from a curry
> > culture. *I hate going into a motel to check it out and smelling that
> > stuff. *If I smell the slightest hint of curry, I won't rent a room.
> > I have nothing against Indians/Pakistanis, but I want motel rooms to
> > be odor free.

> > --Bryan

> so what if it smelled like pizza or enchiladas? How about odors of the
> linens, soaps and other cleaners? *Define "odor free" here..?

Odor free means no unnecessary odors. If the room smells like Glade
air freshener, I go elsewhere. If it smells heavily of scented
cleaners, same thing. I've never walked into the office of a motel
and smelled strong food smells other than curry. From a couple
decades ago, back when I was more obsessed with price, I noticed that
if the lobby smelled like curry, the rooms would almost always be
heavily "perfumed," and often less than clean. These days we avoid
even going into such places. There are chains that practice adequate
institutional control over their franchisees, such as Choice Hotels,
Best Western, Accor (Motel 6) and InterContinental Hotels (Holiday
Inn). There are ones that do not, like Super 8 or Days Inn.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 8:52*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 3:24 AM, ViLco wrote:
>

> > Il 11/09/2010 05:34, jmcquown ha scritto:

> >> A restaurant described as Chinese-Japanese (rather odd) called The Jade
> >> Garden in Beaufort was shut down last March because not only were all
> >> the employees illegal aliens, so was the owner. It was all over the
> >> local news. But, surprise! the place was open again a week later. I
> >> don't think these sort of actions have much affect on anything, much
> >> less on people eating out or on the prices.

> > That's eactly what happens in Italy when the LEOs discover a sweatshop
> > of illegals: a ridiculous fine, and after a week it's all just as
> > before. If they catch the same owner again he gets another fine, maybe
> > bigger but ridiculous anyway, and a some-months restriction which denies
> > him the right to run a company: so he puts his brother in his place and
> > it all goes on like before.
> > This people hiring illegals must do jail, much jail, and be denied the
> > roght to run any operation involving employees of any kind for very long
> > time.

> * Some people whine that fines are just a money grab for the government,
> but when it comes to businesses, there are some companies out there who
> are willing to accept that small fines are just another cost of doing
> business.
>
> I was in the commercial vehicle enforcement business at a time when
> there was upper management and a government that understood that what
> they needed to do was to make it more expensive to get caught operating
> unlawfully than it was to comply.
>
> As an example, brake adjustment was always one of our worst compliance
> problems. More than 50% of the trucks on the road with air brakes had
> brakes out of adjustment. It is a simple problem to detect and to
> repair, and truck drivers are required to do pre-trip inspections.
>
> We used to just put them out of service so there would be down time and
> the cost of road service if they could not adjust them themselves. *We
> were pushed to start laying charges, and the fine was $90. *It didn't do
> much good. They boosted the fine to $180. Still not much improvement.
> Then they boosted the fine to almost $500. Withing a few months the out
> of service rate for brake adjustment plummeted.
>
> Sure, the truckers whined that it was a money grab, but the fact is that
> the fine was so high that they didn't want to get nailed with it. It
> took a $500 to get them to comply.

For many years I have advocated extending property forfeiture laws
that pertain only to drug dealing to all serious economic crimes. If
a multimillionaire CEO makes a phone call from his house to plan
fraud, confiscate the mansion. If he uses his private plane to fly to
a meeting where he conspires to commit tax evasion, take the plane.

If a son of a bitch who knowingly hires undocumented workers thought
that he was at risk of almost all of his wealth being confiscated, you
can bet your ass he'd be very unlikely to do so. I'd like to see an
argument against this.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Odor free means no unnecessary odors. If the room smells like Glade
> air freshener, I go elsewhere. If it smells heavily of scented
> cleaners, same thing. I've never walked into the office of a motel
> and smelled strong food smells other than curry. From a couple
> decades ago, back when I was more obsessed with price, I noticed that
> if the lobby smelled like curry, the rooms would almost always be
> heavily "perfumed," and often less than clean. These days we avoid
> even going into such places. There are chains that practice adequate
> institutional control over their franchisees, such as Choice Hotels,
> Best Western, Accor (Motel 6) and InterContinental Hotels (Holiday
> Inn). There are ones that do not, like Super 8 or Days Inn.

Curry is one of those permeating odors, like smoke. You can't
just vacuum it out or leave the windows open.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:42:28 -0700 (PDT), KevinS wrote:

> On Sep 10, 12:56*pm, aem > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> ' ´We always, always hire the undocumented workers,¡ he said. ´Itÿs
>> not just me, itÿs everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
>> to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
>> paid as well. Itÿs an economic decision. Itÿs less expensive to hire
>> an undocumented person.¡ '
>>
>> So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
>> them, will you eat out as much as before? * -aem

> My first thought - if prices were to rise - let's say arbitrarily 15%
> to 20% -
> I would not alter my dining out habits. If prices were to double, I
> would reconsider my habits and likely reduce the frequency of dining
> out.

that's the crux of the biscuit. i suspect that the price of food would not
go up that much.

also, i sorta doubt wages are the main benefit. the undocumented workers
will also put up with bad working conditions, because if they complain the
boss can threaten them with deportation. makes for a docile work force.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:32:33 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
>> No, though luckily the woman who is renting it is not from a curry
>> culture. I hate going into a motel to check it out and smelling that
>> stuff. If I smell the slightest hint of curry, I won't rent a room.
>> I have nothing against Indians/Pakistanis, but I want motel rooms to
>> be odor free.
>>
>> --Bryan

> so what if it smelled like pizza or enchiladas? How about odors of the
> linens, soaps and other cleaners? Define "odor free" here..?

no farting!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/09/2010 10:11 AM, Bryan wrote:

>> Sure, the truckers whined that it was a money grab, but the fact is that
>> the fine was so high that they didn't want to get nailed with it. It
>> took a $500 to get them to comply.

> For many years I have advocated extending property forfeiture laws
> that pertain only to drug dealing to all serious economic crimes. If
> a multimillionaire CEO makes a phone call from his house to plan
> fraud, confiscate the mansion. If he uses his private plane to fly to
> a meeting where he conspires to commit tax evasion, take the plane.

I know someone who was convicted of a major fraud, $15 million. She
lived the high life while she was pulling it off and even during the
year or so that it took to go to trial. She served less than a year of
her 5 year sentence and, despite living in a halfway house while on
parole, was still living high on the hog. She was really busted for
parole violations and is back in jail. She hasn`t paid a penny of the
$4.5 million restitution that was ordered, but she and her husband kept
their house, which was in his name though she paid for it, and they have
recently bought another house.

> If a son of a bitch who knowingly hires undocumented workers thought
> that he was at risk of almost all of his wealth being confiscated, you
> can bet your ass he'd be very unlikely to do so. I'd like to see an
> argument against this.

It`s easy enough to know if someone is a legal worker. Some may slip
through the cracks, but when you have an operation that hires nothing
but illegals it should not be a problem to through the book at them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> The NY Times this week has a story about federal efforts to prosecute
> restaurants that hire illegal immigrants in their kitchens.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/di...tml?ref=dining

> ' “We always, always hire the undocumented workers,” he said. “It’s
> not just me, it’s everybody in the industry. First, they are willing
> to do the work. Second, they are willing to learn. Third, they are not
> paid as well. It’s an economic decision. It’s less expensive to hire
> an undocumented person.” '
>
> So if restaurants replace all those workers, and raise prices to pay
> them, will you eat out as much as before? -aem

It depends on how much they raise the prices, obviously. 10-20% and we
might just give up appetizers or dessert. Much more and we'd probably
go out less often or to less expensive neighborhood restaurants (which
mostly hire family or students, anyway, and wouldn't be much affected.)

I know this is geared toward (against?) Mexican workers, but if you look
behind the scenes at Asian and other ethnic restaurants, many are
staffed with recent arrivals also, whose immigration status is seldom in
question.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Sep 11, 12:19 am, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:
>> "Bryan" > wrote in message

>> > --Bryan, who is going to *be* a landlord for the first time, which is
>> > weird

>> Will you be placing restrictions in the lease concerning the foods that
>> you
>> will allow your prospective tenants to bring onto the premises, prepare
>> and
>> consume?

> No, though luckily the woman who is renting it is not from a curry
> culture. I hate going into a motel to check it out and smelling that
> stuff. If I smell the slightest hint of curry, I won't rent a room.
> I have nothing against Indians/Pakistanis, but I want motel rooms to
> be odor free.
>
> --Bryan

So, no unholy reign of terror if the tenants use Cool Whip or jarred
mayonnaise or "Hormel" chili? Or have a Butterball and jarred gravy for
Thanksgiving? No name calling? Really? Just no "curry culture", huh? As
a landlord, you really have to be careful with that racial profiling thing,
you know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 10:05*pm, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message

> >> Will you be placing restrictions in the lease concerning the foods that
> >> you
> >> will allow your prospective tenants to bring onto the premises, prepare
> >> and
> >> consume?

> > No, though luckily the woman who is renting it is not from a curry
> > culture. *I hate going into a motel to check it out and smelling that
> > stuff. *If I smell the slightest hint of curry, I won't rent a room.
> > I have nothing against Indians/Pakistanis, but I want motel rooms to
> > be odor free.

> > --Bryan

> So, no unholy reign of terror if the tenants use Cool Whip or jarred
> mayonnaise or "Hormel" chili? *Or have a Butterball and jarred gravy for
> Thanksgiving? *No name calling? *Really? *Just no "curry culture", huh? *As
> a landlord, you really have to be careful with that racial profiling thing,
> you know.

I didn't say I wouldn't rent to curry users, just that I'm glad that
the tenant is not. I should put in the lease--in addition to no
smoking--a paragraph about odors. Heck, if the lady goes on the
internet and brags about her cooking, and it happens to be as you
described, I'd have a good reason to not be insulting to her. That
doesn't apply to anyone else here.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Sep 11, 10:05 pm, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:

>> > No, though luckily the woman who is renting it is not from a curry
>> > culture. I hate going into a motel to check it out and smelling that
>> > stuff. If I smell the slightest hint of curry, I won't rent a room.
>> > I have nothing against Indians/Pakistanis, but I want motel rooms to
>> > be odor free.

>> > --Bryan

>> So, no unholy reign of terror if the tenants use Cool Whip or jarred
>> mayonnaise or "Hormel" chili? Or have a Butterball and jarred gravy for
>> Thanksgiving? No name calling? Really? Just no "curry culture", huh?
>> As
>> a landlord, you really have to be careful with that racial profiling
>> thing,
>> you know.

> I didn't say I wouldn't rent to curry users, just that I'm glad that
> the tenant is not. I should put in the lease--in addition to no
> smoking--a paragraph about odors. Heck, if the lady goes on the
> internet and brags about her cooking, and it happens to be as you
> described, I'd have a good reason to not be insulting to her. That
> doesn't apply to anyone else here.
>
> --Bryan

And just what would that good reason for not being insulting to her be?

Senior Member

Location: WI

Perhaps a tad off topic. I might mention that many family farms would no longer be able to operate without the help of migrant workers who are often undocumented.

People in the southwest will have this issue forever more. Those states were owned by Mexico, even if we stole them fair and square. Build a 20 ft. high wall, they will build a 22 ft. ladder. Good luck stopping those native to the land. Course, our country has pretty much eliminanted native peoples. Maybe the "illegals" are next in the genocide line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote in message

> "Bryan" > wrote in message

>>> So, no unholy reign of terror if the tenants use Cool Whip or jarred
>>> mayonnaise or "Hormel" chili? Or have a Butterball and jarred gravy for
>>> Thanksgiving? No name calling? Really? Just no "curry culture", huh?
>>> As
>>> a landlord, you really have to be careful with that racial profiling
>>> thing,
>>> you know.

>> I didn't say I wouldn't rent to curry users, just that I'm glad that
>> the tenant is not. I should put in the lease--in addition to no
>> smoking--a paragraph about odors. Heck, if the lady goes on the
>> internet and brags about her cooking, and it happens to be as you
>> described, I'd have a good reason to not be insulting to her. That
>> doesn't apply to anyone else here.
>>
>> --Bryan

> And just what would that good reason for not being insulting to her be?

Your (notice the lack of apostrophe) silence tells me you know where this is
going. And I'm sure you will tell me that my summation is wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 7:04*pm, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:
> "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote in ...

> >> I didn't say I wouldn't rent to curry users, just that I'm glad that
> >> the tenant is not. *I should put in the lease--in addition to no
> >> smoking--a paragraph about odors. *Heck, if the lady goes on the
> >> internet and brags about her cooking, and it happens to be as you
> >> described, I'd have a good reason to not be insulting to her. *That
> >> doesn't apply to anyone else here.

> >> --Bryan

> > And just what would that good reason for not being insulting to her be?

> Your (notice the lack of apostrophe) silence tells me you know where this is
> going. *And I'm sure you will tell me that my summation is wrong.

Obviously it is because I would have the sort of relationship that
would be best kept amicable. I have no such relationship with anyone
in the marketplace of ideas that is Usenet.

My "silence" was because I have other things going on other than this
NG. You're obviously not a real lawyer.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Sep 14, 7:04 pm, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:

>> > And just what would that good reason for not being insulting to her be?

>> Your (notice the lack of apostrophe) silence tells me you know where this
>> is
>> going. And I'm sure you will tell me that my summation is wrong.

> Obviously it is because I would have the sort of relationship that
> would be best kept amicable. I have no such relationship with anyone
> in the marketplace of ideas that is Usenet.
>
> My "silence" was because I have other things going on other than this
> NG. You're obviously not a real lawyer.
>
> --Bryan

Ah. Fear of retribution in real life. Understandable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:26:31 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> On Sep 14, 7:04*pm, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." > wrote:

>>> And just what would that good reason for not being insulting to her be?

>> Your (notice the lack of apostrophe) silence tells me you know where this is
>> going. *And I'm sure you will tell me that my summation is wrong.

> Obviously it is because I would have the sort of relationship that
> would be best kept amicable. I have no such relationship with anyone
> in the marketplace of ideas that is Usenet.

so your default setting is asshole unless you have a good reason?

> My "silence" was because I have other things going on other than this
> NG. You're obviously not a real lawyer.

you figured that out, huh? what a bright boy. you know, i bet his name
isn't 'lionel hutz,' either.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>i bet his name isn't 'lionel hutz,' either.

I always see "Lion Putz"... King of the Dickheads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:18:31 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>i bet his name isn't 'lionel hutz,' either.

> I always see "Lion Putz"... King of the Dickheads.

part of your family, huh?

blake