Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coconut Pecan Bars (recipe)

I've been a sucker for bar cookies lately, because they're so darned
easy. I tried a new one today and realized the base is like a lemon
bar cookie. The just came out of the oven and look terrific.

`````````````

Coconut Pecan Bars
http://www.bettycrocker.com/

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. In small bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar
and 1/4 teaspoon salt with electric mixer on medium speed until light
and fluffy. Stir in 1 cup flour. Pat in bottom of ungreased square
pan, 9x9x2 inches. Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until very light brown.

2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk.
Stir in vanilla. Gradually beat in brown sugar just until blended.
Beat in 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Stir in
coconut and pecans. Carefully spoon coconut mixture evenly over baked
layer.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set.
Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of pan to loosen.

Cool completely, about 1 hour. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.

Makes 16 bars

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I've been a sucker for bar cookies lately, because they're so darned
> easy. I tried a new one today and realized the base is like a lemon
> bar cookie. The just came out of the oven and look terrific.

<recipe saved>

These look good, sf - and I have all the ingredients on hand. I need
a coconut fix.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I've been a sucker for bar cookies lately, because they're so darned
> easy. I tried a new one today and realized the base is like a lemon
> bar cookie. The just came out of the oven and look terrific.
>
> `````````````
>

> Coconut Pecan Bars
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/

I love both coconut and pecans. Thanks for posting this and your review.
Saved! Let us know how they taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:52:21 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've been a sucker for bar cookies lately, because they're so darned
> > easy. I tried a new one today and realized the base is like a lemon
> > bar cookie. The just came out of the oven and look terrific.
> >
> > `````````````
> >

> > Coconut Pecan Bars
> > http://www.bettycrocker.com/

> I love both coconut and pecans. Thanks for posting this and your review.
> Saved! Let us know how they taste.

They were pretty good... it would have helped if I'd remembered to put
the brown sugar in the topping (and it was out on the counter starting
at me). As it is, I used sweetened coconut and was going to cut back
on the brown sugar anyway... but hubby loves them as says it's a good
thing I forgot the brown sugar because he doesn't think he'd want them
any sweeter. Food for thought at least.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I've been a sucker for bar cookies lately, because they're so darned
> easy. I tried a new one today and realized the base is like a lemon
> bar cookie. The just came out of the oven and look terrific.
>
> `````````````
>

> Coconut Pecan Bars
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/
>

> 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
> 2 eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 cup packed brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup flaked coconut
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
>

> 1. Heat oven to 350ºF. In small bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar
> and 1/4 teaspoon salt with electric mixer on medium speed until light
> and fluffy. Stir in 1 cup flour. Pat in bottom of ungreased square
> pan, 9x9x2 inches. Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until very light brown.
>
> 2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk.
> Stir in vanilla. Gradually beat in brown sugar just until blended.
> Beat in 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Stir in
> coconut and pecans. Carefully spoon coconut mixture evenly over baked
> layer.
>
> 3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set.
> Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of pan to loosen.
>
> Cool completely, about 1 hour. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
>
> Makes 16 bars

These sound like the Dream Bars (IIRC) my mom used to make when I
was a kid. They were yummy. I need to compare the recipes.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:45:56 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> These sound like the Dream Bars (IIRC) my mom used to make when I
> was a kid. They were yummy. I need to compare the recipes.

Never heard of that one, so I looked it up. The Martha Stewart
version isn't similar other than coconut. I have a lot of coconut on
hand, so... I can make Magic Cookie Bars (with nuts) or Dream Bars
(no nuts) next. I had intended to make 7 Layer Bars, but your idea is
even easier. TY.

````````````````````

Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars
http://www.eaglebrand.com/

Servings: 2 dozen bars

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes

Ingredients

Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup (6 oz.) butterscotch-flavored chips
1 cup (6 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts

Instructions

HEAT oven 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking
spray.

COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb
mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed
milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with remaining
ingredients; press down firmly with fork.

BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of
pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.

For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending
foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
After bars have baked and cooled, lift up by edges of foil to remove
from pan. Cut into individual bars.

``````````

Magic Cookie Bars
http://www.eaglebrand.com
Makes: dozen bars

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients

Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts

Instructions

HEAT oven to 350°F.

Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.

COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into
bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over
crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts.
Press down firmly with fork.

BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of
pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.

For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending
foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
After bars have baked and cooled, lift up with edges of foil to remove
from pan. Cut into individual bars.

VARIATIONS

SUBSTITUTE chocolate chips or nuts with candy coated pieces, dried
cranberries, raisins, mini-marshmallows or butterscotch chips.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> [...]

> HEAT oven to 350°F.
>
> Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
>
> COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into
> bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over
> crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts.
> Press down firmly with fork.
>
> BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of
> pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.
>
> For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending
> foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
> After bars have baked and cooled, lift up with edges of foil to remove
> from pan. Cut into individual bars.
>

> VARIATIONS
>
> SUBSTITUTE chocolate chips or nuts with candy coated pieces, dried
> cranberries, raisins, mini-marshmallows or butterscotch chips.

Please report back if you make them. I used to LOVE them.

BTW, I am still seeing the chili-garlic paste. Do you want some?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:07:30 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>BTW, I am still seeing the chili-garlic paste. Do you want some?

Yes! Thanks a million. We'll email privately?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:07:30 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> BTW, I am still seeing the chili-garlic paste. Do you want some?

> Yes! Thanks a million. We'll email privately?

Yes, my address is not munged. How many jars do you want?

--
Jean B.