Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Edilble Fossil Projects for Kids

My third grade class has had so much fun studying fossils the past two
weeks. We have to make models of fossils. Two of our models were
edible. Maybe someone would like to make these as a project at home
or volunteer to help at school.

Amber fossils -- discuss with your child how small animals were
preserved in resin, which hardened into amber. Then place a gummy
worm in clear glass or plastic cups and drip orange Jello over the
worm. Refrigerate until gelled.

Cast fossils -- discuss how molds of decayed organisms are filled in
with minerals and the minerals form the shape of the mold. If you
are braver than me -- make cornstarch molds to represent the mold
fossils. Then fill in the molds with melting chocolate or Jello
jigglers to create cast fossils. If you are me -- use seashell candy
molds.

Tara

Today's projects The Cook Preserving 0 02-07-2009 03:52 PM
Yesterday's projects The Cook Preserving 0 27-06-2008 03:48 PM
Our new site with baking projects... [email protected] Baking 0 25-05-2007 03:25 AM
Updates on yesterday's projects The Cook Preserving 1 12-06-2006 01:35 PM