Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey, What's Your Beef?

A while back I was watching America's Test Kitchen where they made a
great looking cheesburger from ground meat made out two different
types of beef, although now I forget what they were, but the purpose
was to get meat with a lot of fat for good flavor.

Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
beef?

Ron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron wrote:

> Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
> other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
> per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
> subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
> beef?
>
> Ron

::tap tap tap::: Hello? AmandaF.. that you???

Why would they be a good substitute for freshly ground beef? What's your
experience with Kobe beef? Do YOU think a mass produced patty compares
to one freshly made or one made with designer beef?
Why don't you test it out and YOU tell us!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 8:04*pm, Ron > wrote:
> A while back I was watching America's Test Kitchen where they made a
> great looking cheesburger from ground meat made out two different
> types of beef, although now I forget what they were, but the purpose
> was to get meat with a lot of fat for good flavor.
>
> Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
> other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
> per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
> subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
> beef?

Yes, the trend among top steakhouses today is to drop the Wagyu and
replace it with Rancher's Reserve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ron" > wrote in message
>A while back I was watching America's Test Kitchen where they made a
> great looking cheesburger from ground meat made out two different
> types of beef, although now I forget what they were, but the purpose
> was to get meat with a lot of fat for good flavor.
>
> Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
> other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
> per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
> subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
> beef?
>
> Ron

Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
grinds on site is OK. Buying ground meat at the Prophylactic
Emporium[Safeway or Rubberway or Condomway] is to be avoided. If you're
gonna grill or saute gourmet hamburger or cheeseburger you want to cook it
to the medium rare stage[140F] at the center of the patty. . There should be
slight pinkness in the middle of the patty after the cooking. If you're
gonna do this you can't buy beef from the Prophylactic Emporium[Safeway] or
any other supermarket chain. All sorts of strange parts of the cow goes into
those products. You have to buy your ground beef from a place that grinds
beef on site. You must know that the proper ingredients will be healthy and
safe when the center of the burger is 140F or so. These days I would never
accept that from the Prophylactic Emporium[Safeway] or other chains.

Kent
---------
Grinding away on the weekends

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent[_2_] View Post
"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Last time I bought those premade things from the local market, I shat like a goose for a few days. You just never know. Go to butcher, you know. Do it yourself, you know. Premade from safeway, you're talking about stuff made in the privacy of a factory by someone who (most likely) could give a rip.

It's not hard to purchase a side of beef and spend a few hours butchering it up yourself. Then, you know the farmer, the butcher and the chef (the last two, being YOU.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 12:44*am, "Kent" > wrote:

> Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
> grinds on site is OK.

So, what cuts do you buy to be ground? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:34:06 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
>> other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
>> per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
>> subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
>> beef?
>>
>> Ron

>::tap tap tap::: Hello? AmandaF.. that you???
>
> Why would they be a good substitute for freshly ground beef? What's your
> experience with Kobe beef? Do YOU think a mass produced patty compares
> to one freshly made or one made with designer beef?
> Why don't you test it out and YOU tell us!

i can't recall ever buying pre-formed patties of any kind of beef. i guess
i like playing with my food.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 7:29*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 12:44*am, "Kent" > wrote:
>
> > Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
> > grinds on site is OK.

> So, what cuts do you buy to be ground? *Thanks.

I like chuck mixed with sirloin. But that's just me. I usually just
mix it half and half because it's easy, but 1/3 and 2/3 would also
work (1/3 chuck, 2/3 sirloin). I like the flavor of sirloin - it's
often chewy in steak form, but great when it's ground up.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 11:44*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Ron" > wrote in message
>
> ...>A while back I was watching America's Test Kitchen where they made a
> > great looking cheesburger from ground meat made out two different
> > types of beef, although now I forget what they were, but the purpose
> > was to get meat with a lot of fat for good flavor.

> > Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
> > other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
> > per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
> > subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
> > beef?

> > Ron

> Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
> grinds on site is OK. Buying ground meat at the Prophylactic
> Emporium[Safeway or Rubberway or Condomway] is to be avoided. If you're
> gonna grill or saute gourmet hamburger or cheeseburger you want to cook it
> to the medium rare stage[140F] at the center of the patty. . There should be
> slight pinkness in the middle of the patty after the cooking. If you're
>
> Kent
> ---------
> Grinding away on the weekends

It doesn't matter to me what someone else says about how to eat ground
beef. I've had steak tartare before and it was good as an occasional
adventure - but my burgers, I don't want any pink in the middle.
Nope. Not ever, no matter who ground the beef.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:20:20 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:34:06 -0400, Goomba wrote:
>
>> Ron wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I came across some commercial hamburger patties at Safeway the
>>> other day that had 23 per cent fat; I hear that the legal limit is 30
>>> per cent fat. So I have to ask if these patties would make a good
>>> subsitute for grinding one's own meat? Would they be better than Kobe
>>> beef?
>>>
>>> Ron

>>::tap tap tap::: Hello? AmandaF.. that you???
>>
>> Why would they be a good substitute for freshly ground beef? What's your
>> experience with Kobe beef? Do YOU think a mass produced patty compares
>> to one freshly made or one made with designer beef?
>> Why don't you test it out and YOU tell us!

>i can't recall ever buying pre-formed patties of any kind of beef. i guess
>i like playing with my food.

99 44/100% of those you've eaten from a restaurant, any restaurant,
were pre-formed frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:02:41 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 1, 11:44*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>>> "Ron" > wrote in message

>>>A while back I was watching America's Test Kitchen where they made a

>>> Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local
>>> outlet th

>> at
>>> grinds on site is OK. Buying ground meat at the Prophylactic
>>> Emporium[Safeway or Rubberway or Condomway] is to be avoided. If
>>> you're gonna grill or saute gourmet hamburger or cheeseburger you
>>> want to cook i

>>> to the medium rare stage[140F] at the center of the patty. . There
>>> should

>> be
>>> slight pinkness in the middle of the patty after the cooking. If
>>> you're
>>>
>>> Kent
>>> ---------
>>> Grinding away on the weekends

>> It doesn't matter to me what someone else says about how to eat ground
>> beef. I've had steak tartare before and it was good as an occasional
>> adventure - but my burgers, I don't want any pink in the middle.
>> Nope. Not ever, no matter who ground the beef.
>>
>> N.

>N,
>
>As kids, the ground beef packages from the supermarket tasted delicious
>raw! We'd pick at it while we could before Mom kicked us out of the
>kitchen. I feel bad for the kids today who've never known that luxury!!!

Andy, you must be younger than I thought... when I was a kid there was
no such thing as ground meat packages from a supermarket, there were
no supermarkets per se, none that sold fresh meat of any type... if
you wanted ground meat you went to a butcher shop and you chose what
meat you wanted ground from the meat case or asked for a particular
cut... all meat was ground to order... in those days the transition
from housewives grinding their own to store ground was just starting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 10:54*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:02:41 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> >Nancy2 > wrote:

> >> at
> >> *be

> >> It doesn't matter to me what someone else says about how to eat ground
> >> beef. *I've had steak tartare before and it was good as an occasional
> >> adventure - but my burgers, I don't want any pink in the middle.
> >> Nope. *Not ever, no matter who ground the beef.

> >> N.

> >N,

> >As kids, the ground beef packages from the supermarket tasted delicious
> >raw! We'd pick at it while we could before Mom kicked us out of the
> >kitchen. I feel bad for the kids today who've never known that luxury!!!
> >

> Andy, you must be younger than I thought... when I was a kid there was
> no such thing as ground meat packages from a supermarket, there were
> no supermarkets per se, none that sold fresh meat of any type... if
> you wanted ground meat you went to a butcher shop and you chose what
> meat you wanted ground from the meat case or asked for a particular
> cut... all meat was ground to order... in those days the transition
> from housewives grinding their own to store ground was just starting.

==
And I remember going out to an old granary where the beef was stored
and sawing of a chunk for mother to cook for supper. The nearest "meat
market" didn't even have refrigeration other than blocks of ice for
the summer months and an uninsulated room in the winter time with
"natural" cooling.

Things have progresed somewhat since those "good ol" days".
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 10:39*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 7:29*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > On Sep 2, 12:44*am, "Kent" > wrote:

> > > Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
> > > grinds on site is OK.

> > So, what cuts do you buy to be ground? *Thanks.

> I like chuck mixed with sirloin. *But that's just me. * I usually just
> mix it half and half because it's easy, but 1/3 and 2/3 would also
> work (1/3 chuck, 2/3 sirloin). *I like the flavor of sirloin - it's
> often chewy in steak form, but great when it's ground up.
>
> N.

sirloin can be chewy in steak form. i make sure prior to cooking to
cut out every bit of gristle. then it's not so bad, in fact i've
never met a top sirloin i didn't like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 5:29*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 12:44*am, "Kent" > wrote:
>
> > Grinding your own meat is best. Buying ground meat from a local outlet that
> > grinds on site is OK.

> So, what cuts do you buy to be ground? *Thanks.

I don't mind making my own hamburger but I do mind paying $134 or more
for a food processer.

Ron