Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "The Cinnamon Challenge"

Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
much harder than it sounds. ;-)

I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it
was unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though
I knew what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder,
instantly dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale
some of it and choke because it's an irritant.)

Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/1/2010 8:55 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>
> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it
> was unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though
> I knew what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder,
> instantly dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale
> some of it and choke because it's an irritant.)
>
> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.

Not that I'd try, but it does make me wonder about folks who suffer
asthma and the sort. Not a good idea for them, I'd bet, eh?!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:00:35 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> Not that I'd try, but it does make me wonder about folks who suffer
> asthma and the sort. Not a good idea for them, I'd bet, eh?!

My grandfather used to take a teaspoon of (powdered) paprika... it was
something about vitamins.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>
> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it
> was unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though
> I knew what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder,
> instantly dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale
> some of it and choke because it's an irritant.)
>
> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.
>
> Bob

That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
(I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/1/2010 10:36 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:00:35 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> Not that I'd try, but it does make me wonder about folks who suffer
>> asthma and the sort. Not a good idea for them, I'd bet, eh?!

> My grandfather used to take a teaspoon of (powdered) paprika... it was
> something about vitamins.

but paprika & cinnamon are two different things! No comparison!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>
> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it was
> unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though I knew
> what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder, instantly
> dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale some of it and
> choke because it's an irritant.)
>
> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.

Probably wouldn't want to try it with nutmeg either.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>
> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it was
> unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though I knew
> what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder, instantly
> dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale some of it and
> choke because it's an irritant.)
>
> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.

Some years ago I put cinnamon in capsules with a piller. Nowadays you can
buy it that way. It was/is purported to lower blood sugar in diabetics. It
seemed to raise mine. It also left me with the unpleasant taste of cinnamon
in my mouth all the time and I think I reeked of it too.

I must say that I do like cinnamon. But not seemingly coming out of my
pores. That was bad enough. I wouldn't want to swallow the powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
>> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
>> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
>> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
>> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>>
>> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it was
>> unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though I knew
>> what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder, instantly
>> dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale some of it and
>> choke because it's an irritant.)
>>
>> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
>> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.

> Probably wouldn't want to try it with nutmeg either.
>
> Bob

That's a different story, isn't it?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:06:44 -0600, gloria.p wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
>> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
>> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
>> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
>> much harder than it sounds. ;-)
>>
>> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it
>> was unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though
>> I knew what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder,
>> instantly dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale
>> some of it and choke because it's an irritant.)
>>
>> Then there's the matter of coumarin toxicity if you're using the
>> more-common cassia cinnamon, so maybe just a teaspoon is a better idea.
>>
>> Bob

> That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
> (I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)
>
> gloria p

but where's the alcohol?!?!!

your pal,
george
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:06:44 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>

>> That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
>> (I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)
>>
>> gloria p

> but where's the alcohol?!?!!
>
> your pal,
> george

Imbibed BEFORE trying the cinnamon challenge. :-P

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 00:47:14 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> On 9/1/2010 10:36 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:00:35 -0500, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Not that I'd try, but it does make me wonder about folks who suffer
> >> asthma and the sort. Not a good idea for them, I'd bet, eh?!

> > My grandfather used to take a teaspoon of (powdered) paprika... it was
> > something about vitamins.

> but paprika & cinnamon are two different things! No comparison!

They're both powdered.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:22:46 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:06:44 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
> >
> > That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
> > (I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)
> >
> > gloria p

> but where's the alcohol?!?!!

In fifth grade?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 01:23:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> It also left me with the unpleasant taste of cinnamon
> in my mouth all the time and I think I reeked of it too.

I'd rather smell like cinnamon than have bad breath.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Anyone ever heard of it? I just found out about it today. That's where
> you dare one of your friends or loved-ones to eat a spoonful of ground
> cinnamon in one minute or less and keep it down. Some sources say a
> teaspoon, others a tablespoon. Sounds easy doesn't it? Of course it is
> much harder than it sounds.
>
> I tried a half-teaspoon and swallowed it without much trouble, but it
> was unpleasant and I'm not sure I could do a whole teaspoon even though
> I knew what to expect. (the cinnamon, because it's a dusty powder,
> instantly dries out your mouth so you can't swallow. Then you inhale
> some of it and choke [snip]
>
> Bob

So has anybody tried it since I mentioned it? (you know you want to...)

Bob ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:22:57 -0600, gloria.p wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:06:44 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>>

>>> That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
>>> (I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> but where's the alcohol?!?!!
>>
>> your pal,
>> george

> Imbibed BEFORE trying the cinnamon challenge. :-P
>
> gloria p

i shoulda guessed as much.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:52:49 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:22:46 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:06:44 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds like a fifth grade (or maybe college frat initiation) thing.
>>> (I.E. stoopid guy tricks.)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> but where's the alcohol?!?!!

> In fifth grade?