Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moroccan pita bread

I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's awesome
and very easy - even for me.

Moroccan Pita

2 cups of flour ( you can use all purpose, whole wheat, durum, or
any combination)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
water - about a cup

(This makes 6 pitas about five inches in diameter) You can make them
bigger or smaller)

I used a food processor. I have made this with half all purpose/half
durum, half wheat/half all purpose, and all durum. My favorite is
all durum. It has a nice chewy texture.

Combine the flour, salt and yeast in the food processor ( I use
instant yeast so I don't bother proofing it. If you are using
regular yeast - go ahead and proof it in a half cup of warmish water).

Pulse the dry ingredients. Add water slowly to form a very soft
dough. It might take a whole cup of water, depending on the
humidity. The dough should be very elastic and very soft but not too
sticky.

Divide the dough into 6 balls, using as little additional flour as
possible. Set them on a lightly floured towel and let them rest for
about 10 minutes.

After the balls have rested, flatten them evenly so you get a nice
thin round. Place the rounds on the floured towel and let rest for
about an hour till they are doubled.

Heat a large skillet to medium/high. I use a cast iron flat grill
pan - the type that covers two burners. My SIL uses an electric griddle.

Place a circle of dough on the burner and watch it till it just
starts to puff. Flip it over and let it cook for a few minutes. It
will puff up like a parantha. Let if puff up completely. Keep
turning every few minutes. Let it get slightly brown. ( I can fit
three on my griddle)

My sister in law pierces the side of the pita which releases the air
and flatten thems so that's what I did too. Keep cooking for a
couple of minutes. Each pita should take about 10 minutes.

Here is a recipe with pictures, which gives you and idea what they
should look like. My recipe (or my SILs is slightly different).

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tip...ke_Batbout.htm

These stay fresh stored in a plastic bag at room temp for maybe 2
days. They can be frozen.

Moroccans eat these with savory dishes to scoop up food or as a
sweet with butter and honey.

Tracy

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy[_2_] View Post
[...]

How to Make Moroccan Pita Bread (Batbout)

These stay fresh stored in a plastic bag at room temp for maybe 2
days. They can be frozen.

Moroccans eat these with savory dishes to scoop up food or as a
sweet with butter and honey.

Tracy
Thanks. These flat breads are the shizzle in a huge part of the world. I'm emberassed to say I've never made a flat bread (besides fried bread.) I love naan and all those. You give me reason to make this now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's awesome
> and very easy - even for me.

Nice recipe! Flatbreads are my favourites. Sometimes make them on the
grill, with varied success

> Moroccan Pita
>
> 2 cups of flour ( you can use all purpose, whole wheat, durum, or
> any combination)
> 3/4 tsp salt
> 1 tsp yeast
> water - about a cup
>
> (This makes 6 pitas about five inches in diameter) You can make them
> bigger or smaller)
>
> I used a food processor. I have made this with half all purpose/half
> durum, half wheat/half all purpose, and all durum. My favorite is
> all durum. It has a nice chewy texture.
>
> Combine the flour, salt and yeast in the food processor ( I use
> instant yeast so I don't bother proofing it. If you are using
> regular yeast - go ahead and proof it in a half cup of warmish water).
>
> Pulse the dry ingredients. Add water slowly to form a very soft
> dough. It might take a whole cup of water, depending on the
> humidity. The dough should be very elastic and very soft but not too
> sticky.
>
> Divide the dough into 6 balls, using as little additional flour as
> possible. Set them on a lightly floured towel and let them rest for
> about 10 minutes.
>
> After the balls have rested, flatten them evenly so you get a nice
> thin round. Place the rounds on the floured towel and let rest for
> about an hour till they are doubled.
>
> Heat a large skillet to medium/high. I use a cast iron flat grill
> pan - the type that covers two burners. My SIL uses an electric griddle.
>
> Place a circle of dough on the burner and watch it till it just
> starts to puff. Flip it over and let it cook for a few minutes. It
> will puff up like a parantha. Let if puff up completely. Keep
> turning every few minutes. Let it get slightly brown. ( I can fit
> three on my griddle)
>
> My sister in law pierces the side of the pita which releases the air
> and flatten thems so that's what I did too. Keep cooking for a
> couple of minutes. Each pita should take about 10 minutes.
>
> Here is a recipe with pictures, which gives you and idea what they
> should look like. My recipe (or my SILs is slightly different).
>
> http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tip...ke_Batbout.htm
>
> These stay fresh stored in a plastic bag at room temp for maybe 2
> days. They can be frozen.
>
> Moroccans eat these with savory dishes to scoop up food or as a
> sweet with butter and honey.
>
> Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's awesome
> and very easy - even for me.
>
> Moroccan Pita
> Moroccans eat these with savory dishes to scoop up food or as a
> sweet with butter and honey.

Very nice recipe, I'm gonna try it.
The one I use is this one, from a persone who learned it from the Simili
Sisters, two old cooks who teach cooking, expecially first dishes
(tagliatelle, pappardelle, tortelli...) and bread of many kinds.
The first set of pictures is from the person who attended theyr lessons,
while the second one has been photographed at those lessons.
The main tip in this recipe is the paper bag: as soon as the pitas are
cooked, I put them in a paper bag so to preserve humidity, otherwise the
pitas would dry up and get prone to breaking into crumbs. If you keep them
half an hour in the paper bag after baking them, thay remain soft and tender
just as the pita bread used by so many kebab kebab stalls.

http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/sh...t=27588&page=1

If someone wants a translation, probably this evening
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote on Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:11:46 +0200:

>> I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's
>> awesome and very easy - even for me.
>>
>> Moroccan Pita
>> Moroccans eat these with savory dishes to scoop up food or
>> as a sweet with butter and honey.

> Very nice recipe, I'm gonna try it.
> The one I use is this one, from a persone who learned it from
> the Simili Sisters, two old cooks who teach cooking,
> expecially first dishes (tagliatelle, pappardelle,
> tortelli...) and bread of many kinds. The first set of
> pictures is from the person who attended theyr lessons, while
> the second one has been photographed at those lessons. The
> main tip in this recipe is the paper bag: as soon as the pitas
> are cooked, I put them in a paper bag so to preserve humidity,
> otherwise the pitas would dry up and get prone to breaking
> into crumbs. If you keep them half an hour in the paper bag
> after baking them, thay remain soft and tender just as the
> pita bread used by so many kebab kebab stalls.

> http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/sh...t=27588&page=1

> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

Good, I didn't notice it
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

>>> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

>> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

> Good, I didn't notice it

Did you find the translation of the pita recipe? I couldn't.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 8:23*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Tracy > wrote:
> > I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's awesome
> > and very easy - even for me.

> * *Thank you for posting this! *It is a slightly different recipe for
> pita than I make, but I am interested in trying it. *
>
> * *Does your sister in law have a recipe for tamis? *I'd love to be able
> to make that at home.

I've never heard of tamis. I'll ask her though.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote on Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:33:09 +0200:

>>> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

>> Good, I didn't notice it

> Did you find the translation of the pita recipe? I couldn't.

No, there are a number of Pita recipes, obtained by a search, but they
are only in Italian and I'm not sure which one it would be.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i5ocbn$ru3
:

>> http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/sh...t=27588&page=1

>> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

But that's such a copout. Learning Italian is the way to go.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Tracy > wrote:
> > I just learned how to make this from my sister in law. It's awesome
> > and very easy - even for me.

> * *Thank you for posting this! *It is a slightly different recipe for
> pita than I make, but I am interested in trying it. *
>
> * *Does your sister in law have a recipe for tamis? *I'd love to be able
> to make that at home.

I asked her and she doesn't know what it is! It might have another
name. Can you tell me what it is?

I have found that a lot of Moroccan dishes have multiple names. The
pita is batbout and bouhkmir.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel wrote on Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:13:17 -0500:

>>> http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/sh...t=27588&page=1

>>> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

>> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union
>> Flag.

> But that's such a copout. Learning Italian is the way to go.

I could probably work thro' a single recipe in Italian but I am not
prepared to try to translate a lot of them to find out which one to use.
I never learned much more Italian than needed to make my way around
menus and street signs as a tourist.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:13:17 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:i5ocbn$ru3
> :
>
>>> http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/sh...t=27588&page=1

>>> If someone wants a translation, probably this evening

>> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

> But that's such a copout. Learning Italian is the way to go.

where you been, michel?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in news:kt1u4n7o62iz
:

>>> There is an English version, obtained by clicking the Union Flag.

>> But that's such a copout. Learning Italian is the way to go.

> where you been, michel?

Lancaster, PA, then a gamers' retreat, working on my game and playtesting,
then off to Toronto to help my son move. Hardly noticed August go by.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 09:57:21 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote in news:kt1u4n7o62iz
> :

>>> But that's such a copout. Learning Italian is the way to go.

>> where you been, michel?

> Lancaster, PA, then a gamers' retreat, working on my game and playtesting,
> then off to Toronto to help my son move. Hardly noticed August go by.

hope things are a little less hectic for you. unless you like hectic.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in
:

>> Lancaster, PA, then a gamers' retreat, working on my game and
>> playtesting, then off to Toronto to help my son move. Hardly noticed
>> August go by.

> hope things are a little less hectic for you. unless you like
> hectic.

September and October will be less hectic, then back to hectic in November
when I go to Vancouver to visit my daughter and participate in a game
convention.

Right now, I can't get enough sleep.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:45:26 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Lancaster, PA, then a gamers' retreat, working on my game and
>>> playtesting, then off to Toronto to help my son move. Hardly noticed
>>> August go by.

>> hope things are a little less hectic for you. unless you like
>> hectic.

> September and October will be less hectic, then back to hectic in November
> when I go to Vancouver to visit my daughter and participate in a game
> convention.
>
> Right now, I can't get enough sleep.

enjoy it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Game convention, was Moroccan pita bread

Michel Boucher wrote:

>> What kind of games?

> Wargames. Board, counters, hexes, die rolling (for the most part)
> although some are played with specially designed cards. So far, we
> have:
>
> Advanced Squad Leader
> Up Front
> Fires of Midway
> Battlestar Galactica
> Europe Engulfed
>
> We are discussing the line-up right now.

I know what you're talking about, I attended at a club where the main dish
was just that, along with some RPG fans.
I played Squad Leader a lot, along with many others like Flight Leader,
Sniper!, some Warhammer and some others I can't remember. I know Avalon Hill
and Games Workshop since when I was a kid.
Nice hobby, or is it a job also?
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in -
september.org:

> Nice hobby, or is it a job also?

It's been a hobby for thirty years, but since I retired I've begun
designing games as well. Currently, I'm polishing a solitaire game on
Bomber Command and doing research for another on the Yemen Civil War (1958-
1967). My long term project is a game covering the thirty years of the
Long Indochina War (1945-1975) from a non-Americocentric perspective.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" schrieb :
> "ViLco" wrote :
>
>> Nice hobby, or is it a job also?

> It's been a hobby for thirty years, but since I retired I've begun
> designing games as well. Currently, I'm polishing a solitaire game on
> Bomber Command and doing research for another on the Yemen Civil War
> (1958-
> 1967). My long term project is a game covering the thirty years of the
> Long Indochina War (1945-1975) from a non-Americocentric perspective.

If you really want to research the Yemen Civil War (which didn't end in
1967 -
it just went into a low boil which flared up again last year), I'd suggest
you shave
your head. Because sooner or later you'll want to tear out your hair.
Getting real data out of Yemenitis is like herding cats, even if one has the
support
of the government.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2010 10:45 AM, Michael Kuettner wrote:
> "Michel Boucher" schrieb :
>> "ViLco" wrote :
>>
>>> Nice hobby, or is it a job also?

>> It's been a hobby for thirty years, but since I retired I've begun
>> designing games as well. Currently, I'm polishing a solitaire game on
>> Bomber Command and doing research for another on the Yemen Civil War
>> (1958-
>> 1967). My long term project is a game covering the thirty years of the
>> Long Indochina War (1945-1975) from a non-Americocentric perspective.
>>

> If you really want to research the Yemen Civil War (which didn't end in
> 1967 -
> it just went into a low boil which flared up again last year), I'd
> suggest you shave
> your head. Because sooner or later you'll want to tear out your hair.
> Getting real data out of Yemenitis is like herding cats, even if one has
> the support
> of the government.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Try living amongst them. I did for several months and made a few good
friends, probably several enemies, and was bewildered at the qat addicts
roaming the streets foaming green at the mouth. A strange group of
people the northern Yemeni and the southern Yemeni are always at odds.
The flaming government only controls the three major cities, the rest is
tribal rule.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in
:

> If you really want to research the Yemen Civil War (which didn't end
> in 1967 - it just went into a low boil which flared up again last year),
> I'd suggest you shave your head. Because sooner or later you'll want to
> tear out your hair.

Actually, I am dealing only with the period from 1958 (when the first non-
Muslim presence appeared in North Yemen--Chinese and Soviet aid missions)
and later after the coup when the North was under Egyptian influence and
the South was still a British Protectorate until 1967 when Britain withdrew
from Aden, hence the title: The Last Colony.

> Getting real data out of Yemenitis is like herding cats, even if one
> has the support of the government.

I don't need data from the Yemeni. The game is going to be played at a
political/diplomatic level (the sides will be mostly external to Yemen) and
much of the information from that period is readily available.

And if I do need the help of the Yemeni, the embassy is a ten minute walk
from where I am currently sitting.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" schrieb :
> On 9/15/2010 10:45 AM, Michael Kuettner wrote:

>>> It's been a hobby for thirty years, but since I retired I've begun
>>> designing games as well. Currently, I'm polishing a solitaire game on
>>> Bomber Command and doing research for another on the Yemen Civil War
>>> (1958-
>>> 1967). My long term project is a game covering the thirty years of the
>>> Long Indochina War (1945-1975) from a non-Americocentric perspective.
>>>

>> If you really want to research the Yemen Civil War (which didn't end in
>> 1967 -
>> it just went into a low boil which flared up again last year), I'd
>> suggest you shave
>> your head. Because sooner or later you'll want to tear out your hair.
>> Getting real data out of Yemenitis is like herding cats, even if one has
>> the support
>> of the government.
>>

> Try living amongst them.

No time. We made the "official" atlas of the country.
You can't get anything done when living there.
Apart from the very real risk of being kidnapped, which seems to be
a national hobby.

> I did for several months and made a few good friends, probably several
> enemies, and was bewildered at the qat addicts roaming the streets foaming
> green at the mouth. A strange group of people the northern Yemeni and the
> southern Yemeni are always at odds.

Exactly.

> The flaming government only controls the three major cities, the rest is
> tribal rule.

They control a little more than that now (with help from the Saudis and the
USA).
There's no distinction between government and tribel rule, I'd say.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote in
> :
>
>> If you really want to research the Yemen Civil War (which didn't end
>> in 1967 - it just went into a low boil which flared up again last year),
>> I'd suggest you shave your head. Because sooner or later you'll want to
>> tear out your hair.

> Actually, I am dealing only with the period from 1958 (when the first non-
> Muslim presence appeared in North Yemen--Chinese and Soviet aid missions)
> and later after the coup when the North was under Egyptian influence and
> the South was still a British Protectorate until 1967 when Britain
> withdrew
> from Aden, hence the title: The Last Colony.
>
>> Getting real data out of Yemenitis is like herding cats, even if one
>> has the support of the government.

> I don't need data from the Yemeni. The game is going to be played at a
> political/diplomatic level (the sides will be mostly external to Yemen)
> and
> much of the information from that period is readily available.

On that level, yes.
I thought you wanted to research along tribal lines / actual combat.

> And if I do need the help of the Yemeni, the embassy is a ten minute walk
> from where I am currently sitting.

Don't rely on the help too much. That's all I'm saying.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in
:

>> I don't need data from the Yemeni. The game is going to be played at
>> a political/diplomatic level (the sides will be mostly external to
>> Yemen) and much of the information from that period is readily
>> available.
>>

> On that level, yes.
> I thought you wanted to research along tribal lines / actual combat.

That would be boring.

>> And if I do need the help of the Yemeni, the embassy is a ten minute
>> walk from where I am currently sitting.
>>

> Don't rely on the help too much. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not saying I'll need their help, just that they are nearby if I do.
It's unlikely though because the game will concentrate on the external
forces at work: Britain, US, France, PMCs, Israel, UAR, Jordan, Saudi
Arabia.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Question about pita bread Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 31 05-05-2014 10:26 PM
Pita Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 20-06-2005 12:29 PM
Pita Bread Tim Recipes 0 20-06-2005 12:28 PM
Pita bread Al Baking 2 15-03-2005 11:24 PM