Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

Jean B. > wrote:
>For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an
>Indian dish (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French
>toast. Now I am blanking on the name of it.

Bombay toast.

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:33:43 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> Something like this?
>>>
>>> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>>>

>> Thanks for SHARING Bob.

> Oh, NOW you want the recipe posted here! OK, he

Well, actually no I didn't want it. I was quite happy to click on the
link; after all I'm all for saving bandwidth too. I know all to well what
Lack of Bandwidth (LoB) can be like; my (very expensive) share is often
slower than a snail on Valium...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:26 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>Well, thank you.

> I can't fathom you eating any toast other than shrimp.
>
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/daddys...st/Detail.aspx

Sounds pretty darn good to me Sheldon. Of course getting Jack to allow
the celery is gonna be another issue. And he saw 'water' in the
ingredients too - <quote> Water is that stuff you use for washing dishes,
is shouldn't be added to the food.</quote>

Ta muchly anyhoo, I like celery <g>.

Of course ya know this means I now owe you a SPAM recipe... but I'll have
get back to you on that one hehe ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian dish
>> (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am blanking
>> on the name of it.

> Something like this?
>
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>
> Bob

Oh, oh, oh! Yes!!!!! And that looks better than anything *I*
managed to dig up. Thanks!

BTW, I like this use of condensed milk acceptable.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian dish
>> (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am blanking
>> on the name of it.

> Something like this?
>
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>
> Bob

PS The one I consumed did not have the very top of the fried
bread submersed. I thought that gave the whole thing a very
interesting texture.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B wrote:

>>> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian
>>> dish (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am
>>> blanking on the name of it.

>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>>
>> Bob

> PS The one I consumed did not have the very top of the fried bread
> submersed. I thought that gave the whole thing a very interesting
> texture.

The funny thing is that I've seen that dish *here* at the chow hall in Iraq.
Thursday nights here are "Indian Night" for dinner. The cooks are from the
Indian subcontinent (mostly India and Bangladesh), so they take extra care
to show what they can do. The version they serve also has the crisp top.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>>
>>>Well, thank you.

>> I can't fathom you eating any toast other than shrimp.
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/daddys...st/Detail.aspx

>Sounds pretty darn good to me Sheldon. Of course getting Jack to allow
>the celery is gonna be another issue. And he saw 'water' in the
>ingredients too - <quote> Water is that stuff you use for washing dishes,
>is shouldn't be added to the food.</quote>
>
>Ta muchly anyhoo, I like celery <g>.
>
>Of course ya know this means I now owe you a SPAM recipe... but I'll have
>get back to you on that one hehe ;-)

Don that silver lame teddy while serving Jack a potent CP bloody
mary... he'll learn to love anticipating celery... won't be long
you'll have to hide the celery from Jack... when you see Jack munching
stuffed celery you'll know you're in for it. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> Something like this?
>>>
>>> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>>>
>>> Bob

>> PS The one I consumed did not have the very top of the fried bread
>> submersed. I thought that gave the whole thing a very interesting
>> texture.

> The funny thing is that I've seen that dish *here* at the chow hall in Iraq.
> Thursday nights here are "Indian Night" for dinner. The cooks are from the
> Indian subcontinent (mostly India and Bangladesh), so they take extra care
> to show what they can do. The version they serve also has the crisp top.
>
> Bob

Ah. Have you tried it or just seen it? If the former, what do
you think? I found it rather intriguing and quite worthy of
experimentation. I printed the recipe you posted and am now
looking at others for comparison. Most recipes call for the bread
to be soaked.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:54:38 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>Sounds pretty darn good to me Sheldon. Of course getting Jack to allow
>>the celery is gonna be another issue. And he saw 'water' in the
>>ingredients too - <quote> Water is that stuff you use for washing dishes,
>>is shouldn't be added to the food.</quote>
>>
>>Ta muchly anyhoo, I like celery <g>.
>>
>>Of course ya know this means I now owe you a SPAM recipe... but I'll have
>>get back to you on that one hehe ;-)

> Don that silver lame teddy while serving Jack a potent CP bloody
> mary... he'll learn to love anticipating celery... won't be long
> you'll have to hide the celery from Jack... when you see Jack munching
> stuffed celery you'll know you're in for it. heheh

Hate to disappoint you Sheldon, but there's no whiskey to be found in a
bloody mary - not an interesting or appetizing drink, even when served
topless

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:28*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> >> Something like this?

> >>http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html

> >> Bob

> > PS *The one I consumed did not have the very top of the fried bread
> > submersed. *I thought that gave the whole thing a very interesting
> > texture.

> The funny thing is that I've seen that dish *here* at the chow hall in Iraq.
> Thursday nights here are "Indian Night" for dinner. The cooks are from the
> Indian subcontinent (mostly India and Bangladesh), so they take extra care
> to show what they can do. The version they serve also has the crisp top.

Samy's Curry Restaurant in Singapore is located in a former Army
barracks. Delicious curries are served up in front of you on a banana
leaf. You eat with the first three fingers of your right hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 3:40*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:26 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >>Well, thank you.

> > I can't fathom you eating any toast other than shrimp.

> >http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/daddys...st/Detail.aspx

> Sounds pretty darn good to me Sheldon. Of course getting Jack to allow
> the celery is gonna be another issue. And he saw 'water' in the
> ingredients too - <quote> Water is that stuff you use for washing dishes,
> is shouldn't be added to the food.</quote>
>
> Ta muchly anyhoo, I like celery <g>.
>
> Of course ya know this means I now owe you a SPAM recipe... but I'll have
> get back to you on that one hehe ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I make a version that uses the minced topping like in that recipe, but
takes it a step further. Butterfly whole peeled prawns, leave tail on
as a handle (large enough to cover a half slice of bread, minus the
crusts). Put a butterfly prawn on each piece of bread using the
topping to stick it in place. The cut for butterflying the prawn
should be up the *belly* side of the prawn, spread open, this is the
side that goes downside on the bread so that the tail is sticking up a
little. Roll in sesame seeds, quick dip in eggwash first helps. Deep
fry until golden and crispy on the outside. Serve with a yummy dipping
sauce.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>>> PS The one I consumed did not have the very top of the fried bread
>>> submersed. I thought that gave the whole thing a very interesting
>>> texture.

>> The funny thing is that I've seen that dish *here* at the chow hall in
>> Iraq. Thursday nights here are "Indian Night" for dinner. The cooks are
>> from the Indian subcontinent (mostly India and Bangladesh), so they take
>> extra care to show what they can do. The version they serve also has the
>> crisp top.
>>

> Ah. Have you tried it or just seen it? If the former, what do you think?
> I found it rather intriguing and quite worthy of experimentation. I
> printed the recipe you posted and am now looking at others for comparison.
> Most recipes call for the bread to be soaked.

Yes, I tried it. It's not much like what you'd think of as bread pudding or
French toast. It's soggy toast in sweet spiced milk syrup: Okay for what it
is, but IMO not as delectable as the other two things I mentioned.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> The funny thing is that I've seen that dish *here* at the chow hall in
>>> Iraq. Thursday nights here are "Indian Night" for dinner. The cooks are
>>> from the Indian subcontinent (mostly India and Bangladesh), so they take
>>> extra care to show what they can do. The version they serve also has the
>>> crisp top.
>>>

>> Ah. Have you tried it or just seen it? If the former, what do you think?
>> I found it rather intriguing and quite worthy of experimentation. I
>> printed the recipe you posted and am now looking at others for comparison.
>> Most recipes call for the bread to be soaked.

> Yes, I tried it. It's not much like what you'd think of as bread pudding or
> French toast. It's soggy toast in sweet spiced milk syrup: Okay for what it
> is, but IMO not as delectable as the other two things I mentioned.
>
> Bob

The one I had had a nice texture. That is what I need to figure
out. Many of the recipes do, indeed, look like the bread would
end up being a soggy mess. Hmmm. How about using the same basic
flavoring to make bread pudding? One would have to compensate for
the dilution resulting from the eggs though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> The one I had had a nice texture. That is what I need to figure out.
> Many of the recipes do, indeed, look like the bread would end up being a
> soggy mess. Hmmm. How about using the same basic flavoring to make bread
> pudding? One would have to compensate for the dilution resulting from the
> eggs though.

I think it would probably be better to leave the bread out completely, and
just add enough cornstarch to the cooked milk mixture to make it into a
pudding. If you wanted something like bread in the dessert at that point,
you could make a trifle using the pudding and a pound cake, adding whipped
cream and fruit (passion fruit purée, mango chunks, peaches, cherries,
lichees, or mandarin orange segments all seem like they'd work).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Aug 30, 5:13*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > Why a griddle?

> Perhaps the griddle is rectangular.

Mine is cast iron and round. It's a large flat surface.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

>>> Yes, I tried it. It's not much like what you'd think of as bread pudding
>>> or French toast. It's soggy toast in sweet spiced milk syrup: Okay for
>>> what it is, but IMO not as delectable as the other two things I
>>> mentioned.
>>>

>> The one I had had a nice texture. That is what I need to figure
>> out. Many of the recipes do, indeed, look like the bread would
>> end up being a soggy mess. Hmmm. How about using the same basic
>> flavoring to make bread pudding? One would have to compensate for
>> the dilution resulting from the eggs though.

> Toast the bread first. The "batter" does not soak into it as much.

You think we're talking about French toast, don't you? LOL

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I prefer the thicker Texas Toast myself. A couple times I have used
English Muffins for French Toast which turned out very well. I also
use the Alton Brown technique of browning both sides of the French
Toast in a skillet then putting it in an oven to cook the center; I
usually set it to 250 and cook it low and slow for 15 minutes and it
comes out perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> The one I had had a nice texture. That is what I need to figure out.
>> Many of the recipes do, indeed, look like the bread would end up being a
>> soggy mess. Hmmm. How about using the same basic flavoring to make bread
>> pudding? One would have to compensate for the dilution resulting from the
>> eggs though.

> I think it would probably be better to leave the bread out completely, and
> just add enough cornstarch to the cooked milk mixture to make it into a
> pudding. If you wanted something like bread in the dessert at that point,
> you could make a trifle using the pudding and a pound cake, adding whipped
> cream and fruit (passion fruit purée, mango chunks, peaches, cherries,
> lichees, or mandarin orange segments all seem like they'd work).
>
> Bob

That'd be something else entirely. I was thinking about this
while I was out and about and kind-of got back to the original
topic. I think this should be done more like a baked French toast
and maybe in one layer. I need to ponder this some more--and get
some cooler weather.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> Yes, I tried it. It's not much like what you'd think of as bread pudding or
>>> French toast. It's soggy toast in sweet spiced milk syrup: Okay for what it
>>> is, but IMO not as delectable as the other two things I mentioned.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> The one I had had a nice texture. That is what I need to figure
>> out. Many of the recipes do, indeed, look like the bread would
>> end up being a soggy mess. Hmmm. How about using the same basic
>> flavoring to make bread pudding? One would have to compensate for
>> the dilution resulting from the eggs though.
>>

> Toast the bread first. The "batter" does not soak into it as much.

Now, if I were you, I'd deep-fat fry the bread, as some recipes do.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Toast the bread first. The "batter" does not soak into it as much.

> You think we're talking about French toast, don't >you? LOL

I don't make Indian bread pudding, but I do make very good bread pudding and
I always toast the bread first and I always have some sticking up out of the
custard so there are crunchy points.

I must have eaten French toast 200 times, but have never used (or wanted) a
recipe. It's the salty butter edges around the milky custard innards that I
like, so all these additions would make me like it less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/08/2010 10:04 PM, e-mail from gene wrote:
> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
> Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
> approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
> simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.
>
> Many thanks,

Start with stale bread. Add a dash of vanilla extract and a bit of
cinnamon sugar to the egg and milk mixture.