Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Velveeta Fans Unite

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz keenly noted:

> That's utter bullshit... kids can't tell the difference between
> Velveeta melted in mac n' cheese and any cheapo American cheese melted
> in mac n' cheese... and neither can you.

It's true that I cannot. You got me. I don't even have ONE-TENTH of the
crappy mac & cheese experience that you have. I'm sure that you can even
tell what lot number the American cheese was from, just like with your
beloved SPAM.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 8:40*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Aug 29, 7:37*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>
> > Bryan wrote:
> > > Yeah, let's get all the Velveeta fans together so folks with better taste
> > > can point at you and ridicule you.

> > There is no better cheese for a tuna melt than Velveeta.

> > Bob

> How about cheddar, gouda, havarti, or swiss? Ever try them? If not,
> you are missing out!
>
> Velveeta is crap cheese.
>
> John Kuthe...

Give me a 6 year old cheddar. I'll take the cheddar and take a pass
on the velveeta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>> I just don't care all that much for the flavor of pasteurized process
>>> cheese food, or whatever the current governmentally correct labeling is
>>> this year.

>> All this talk about Velveeta has me thinking I should buy some to
>> refresh my memory.

> I wouldn't recommend buying it just for that reason. Velveeta has its uses,
> but it's really not a very good cheese by itself.
>
> Bob

I'll second that Bob- It works really well for chile con queso because
of the soft, greasy, salty way it melts and envelopes other ingredients.
It isn't a snacking cheese and would be pretty gross eaten out of hand
as such.
For Mac and Cheese I use three cheeses in my sauce-EXTRA sharp cheddar,
Parmesan and cottage. A little mustard and/or nutmeg in the sauce is a
must also. It won't be artificially orange but it sure will taste good.
Colby, as someone else suggested, would be entirely too mild for my
Mac&Cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:04:32 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> I just don't care all that much for the flavor of pasteurized process
> >> cheese food, or whatever the current governmentally correct labeling is
> >> this year.

> > All this talk about Velveeta has me thinking I should buy some to
> > refresh my memory.

> I wouldn't recommend buying it just for that reason. Velveeta has its uses,
> but it's really not a very good cheese by itself.

For memory refreshment purposes, I need to buy a jar of Cheese Whiz
too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:25:09 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>>> There is no better cheese for a tuna melt than Velveeta.

>> How about cheddar, gouda, havarti, or swiss? Ever try them? If not, you
>> are missing out!

>Yes, I *have* tried all the cheeses you mentioned as the cheese in tuna
>melts, and all were inferior both in melting qualities and in taste to
>Velveeta. I've also tried mozzarella, kasseri, comte, gruyere, meunster,
>mimolette, and jack (both fresh and aged). None measured up to Velveeta.
>
>Cheddar and swiss were particularly nasty, exuding a bunch of oil as they
>melted.
>

>> Velveeta is crap cheese.

>Your opinion is noted and discarded.
>
>Bob

Bob, I agree. Velveeta has its place, and everything food is a matter
of taste. I find processed cheese on/in Mexican food to be vile, and
Velveeta with corned beef or on a "cheesteak" would make me shudder.
But that's me. Someone else may find those combinations to be
ambrosia, and that's ok.

When we make mac & cheese, both the wife and the gals want the wife's
version, made with Velveeta and topped with homemade croutons and
baked. And I will admit to liking Velveeta atop a good burger once in
a while.
--
Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2010 7:59 PM, Omelet wrote:

> I like the idea of using cottage cheese! I may try adding sour cream
> some time.

When finances were at a low, one of the things we ate for dinner was
noodles and cottage cheese (or pot cheese) with a little sour cream in it.

Noodles and cheese was a comfort dish for me for years. My kids never
liked it so I haven't had it for years and years. Thanks for sparking a
memory.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 19:59:43 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Mom used to use Colby Jack for Mac and Cheese

What's Colby Jack? I've heard of Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, and
marble (which is Colby and Jack - two colors, two types)... but not
Colby jack.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Go for the ten, and the salt chunks are ALMOST unbearable. The taste is divine, though.

Velveeta is good for what it is. A processed mac-n-cheese/cheeseburger cheese (though I'l admit to preferring baby swiss over all others atop a burger). The cheese factory near me makes the best muenster, I believe, on the planet. Still, every now and then, I love the taste of Veeta. Just takes me back to my boyhood.

Gouda's a good wine cheese. Horseradish Havarti is just flippin' sublime to me. I'm always hopeful the soft cheeses will become wildly popular, so our consumers will pressure our govt to make it legal to make the live cheeses Euros enjoy. Of all the great cheeses, there is only one I can't stomach: any one of them that is cold. Room temp or warmer for em, thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:51:45 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 9/1/2010 7:59 PM, Omelet wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of using cottage cheese! I may try adding sour cream
>> some time.

>When finances were at a low, one of the things we ate for dinner was
>noodles and cottage cheese (or pot cheese) with a little sour cream in it.
>
>Noodles and cheese was a comfort dish for me for years. My kids never
>liked it so I haven't had it for years and years. Thanks for sparking a
>memory.

Potcheese wide egg noodle kugel, served topped with grape jelly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:30:42 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> Jokingly, there's two pounds of fat in every pound of casserole. :9

Heh. That's not far from the truth. I looked up nutrition for
cheddar yesterday - not a pretty sight based on one ounce
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/FoodPag...dar_cheese.htm

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.