Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Big Blue

Big Blue: http://i35.tinypic.com/oqgdht.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Big Blue: http://i35.tinypic.com/oqgdht.jpg

We seem to have the same birds hanging around. In a pine tree out back
there is a nest of blue jays, a couple are recently fledged. They come
around when I scatter corn and peanuts on the patio.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2010 8:33 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
> Big Blue: http://i35.tinypic.com/oqgdht.jpg

Wednesday, I saw hummingbirds mating, right by the hummingbird feeder.
Yesterday afternoon, I saw two hawks mating. It was awesome to see them
that close. They are huge.

Becca

ObFood:

Spinach and Shrimp Dip
from The Lady & Sons, Too! by Paula Dean
Yields 5 Cups
2 cups fresh peeled shrimp
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper
Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
Drop the shrimp into a pot of boiling water and cook just until the
shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool and chop. Set aside. In a
heavy saucepan, over low heat, mix together the cream cheese, heavy
cream, 4 tablespoons of the butter, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until
the cream cheese is melted. Add the Jack cheese, lemon pepper, lemon
juice, paprika, and salt and papper to taste, and stir until the cheese
is melted. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in another
saucepan. Squeeze out any water remaining in the thawed spinach. Add
the spinach and cook, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the spinach and add it to
the cream cheese mixture. Stir and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Add the
shrimp. Serve the dip in a chafing dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Big Blue: http://i35.tinypic.com/oqgdht.jpg

>Wednesday, I saw hummingbirds mating, right by the hummingbird feeder.
>Yesterday afternoon, I saw two hawks mating. It was awesome to see them
>that close. They are huge.
>
>Becca

What can I say... compared to hummingbirds most guys are huge! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2010 1:17 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I've had so many hummingbirds in my feeder this year! Especially near
> dusk. They are just so fun to watch and listen to. Their aerial
> acrobatics are amazing! The thing that gets me is that when a male
> gets territorial and doesn't want any of the others in his feeder and
> he swoops in and you can hear them hit each other, probably their wings.

Yes, they are territorial. It is comical to hear their chirpy tirades
as they chase the other hummingbirds away from the feeder. I figure
hummingbirds are the chihuahuas of the bird family. lol

Becca