FoodBanter.com

-   -   Removing very sticky flue residue left from the label of a glass bottle (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/399995-removing-very-sticky-flue.html)

Manda Ruby 26-08-2010 09:26 PM

Removing very sticky flue residue left from the label of a glass bottle

To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.

But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
should use to get that glue residue off?

brooklyn1 26-08-2010 09:39 PM

Manda Ruby wrote:

>To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
>well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
>in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
>need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
>moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>
>But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick.
>
>Any tip what I should use to get that glue residue off?

Nuzzle it between your breasts until it gets off.

Nancy2 26-08-2010 09:48 PM

On Aug 26, 3:26*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> *To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> well as spaghetti sauce bottle), *I usually just soak the glass bottle
> in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>
> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. *Any tip what I
> should use to get that glue residue off?

You can try lighter fluid or nail polish remover (each works on
different things) if you have those on hand; otherwise, buy some "Goo
Gone" at your local hardware or home goods store.

N.

George[_1_] 26-08-2010 10:06 PM

On 8/26/2010 4:37 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>

>> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>> should use to get that glue residue off?

> Rub smooth peanut butter and let set for an hour. Goo GONE!
> Been using this for years for label residue...works wonders on fine
> crystal too!

Cooking oil also works for the same reason.

Roy[_2_] 26-08-2010 10:14 PM

On Aug 26, 2:39*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
>
> >To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> >well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> >in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> >need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> >moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.

> >But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> >stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> >wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. *

> >Any tip what I should use to get that glue residue off?

> Nuzzle it between your breasts until it gets off.

==
I'll bet you say that to all the girls,,,but seriously, I have used
fingernail polish remover. Only on glass though as if on plastic it
could dissolve the plastic. The solvent used to clean plastic pipe
fittings before gluing and joining them should work also, although I
haven't tried that yet.
==

Melba's Jammin' 26-08-2010 10:27 PM

Removing very sticky flue residue left from the label of a glass bottle

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:
> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
> should use to get that glue residue off?

Goof Off.
(That's the name of the product.)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of

Chemo the Clown 26-08-2010 11:32 PM

On Aug 26, 1:39*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
>
> >To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> >well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> >in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> >need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> >moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.

> >But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> >stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> >wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. *

> >Any tip what I should use to get that glue residue off?

> Nuzzle it between your breasts until it gets off.

I suppose you nuzzle it between your cheeks....

[email protected] 27-08-2010 12:11 AM

On 8/26/2010 10:26 AM, Manda Ruby wrote:
> To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>

> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
> should use to get that glue residue off?

I'm partial towards Methyl Ethel Ketone aka MEK, which can be found at
your local hardware store. This will remove the residue in seconds. Use
in a well ventilated area and remember that this stuff can be absorbed
through your skin. Use only if you're serious about getting the glue off
in a hurry.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 27-08-2010 12:57 AM

Removing very sticky flue residue left from the label of a glass bottle

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:17 -1000, "
> wrote:

>Methyl Ethel Ketone aka MEK

stand back...that sounds flammable! Hold my beer...gotta try
something...

[email protected] 27-08-2010 01:02 AM

On 8/26/2010 1:57 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:17 -1000, "
> > wrote:
>
>> Methyl Ethel Ketone aka MEK

> stand back...that sounds flammable! Hold my beer...gotta try
> something...

I don't believe that it is flammable. Hold on, I got a can of the stuff
right here... I'll just light this match up and we'll know fer sur...

jmcquown[_2_] 27-08-2010 01:26 AM

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>

>>But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>>stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>>wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>>should use to get that glue residue off?

> Rub smooth peanut butter and let set for an hour. Goo GONE!
> Been using this for years for label residue...works wonders on fine
> crystal too!

What a waste of peanut butter! Use acetone. aka nail polish remover.

Jill

gloria.p 27-08-2010 02:55 AM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Manda Ruby > wrote:
>> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>> should use to get that glue residue off?

> Goof Off.
> (That's the name of the product.)

Is that a take-off on Goo Gone?

gloria p

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 27-08-2010 03:47 AM

Jill wrote:

>>> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>>> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>>> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>>> should use to get that glue residue off?

>> Rub smooth peanut butter and let set for an hour. Goo GONE!
>> Been using this for years for label residue...works wonders on fine
>> crystal too!
>>

> What a waste of peanut butter! Use acetone. aka nail polish remover.

Which costs less per ounce? If it's the peanut butter, then using nail
polish remover would be wasteful.

Bob

[email protected] 27-08-2010 01:14 PM

Removing very sticky flue residue left from the label of a glass bottle

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

> To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
>well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
>in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
>need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
>moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>

>But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>should use to get that glue residue off?

I normally try mineral spirits if water fails. In very cool weather it
may need to set a few minutes to soften the glue.
I usually use it in the workshop as it is flammable and has a strong
smell when evaporating. Many paint thinners are mineral spirits, some
odor free.
--
Mr.E

Bryan Simmons 27-08-2010 02:27 PM

On Aug 26, 4:14*pm, Roy > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2:39*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
> > Manda Ruby wrote:

> > >To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> > >well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> > >in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> > >need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> > >moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.

> > >But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> > >stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> > >wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. *

> > >Any tip what I should use to get that glue residue off?

> > Nuzzle it between your breasts until it gets off.

> ==
> I'll bet you say that to all the girls,,,but seriously, I have used
> fingernail polish remover. Only on glass though as if on plastic it
> could dissolve the plastic. The solvent used to clean plastic pipe
> fittings before gluing and joining them should work also, although I
> haven't tried that yet.
> ==

Polish Remover removes almost anything. Some people think that the
Polish aren't that smart, but I say they make a damned good Remover.

--Bryan

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 27-08-2010 02:37 PM

On Aug 26, 9:55*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Manda Ruby > wrote:
> >> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. *Any tip what I
> >> should use to get that glue residue off?

> > Goof Off.
> > (That's the name of the product.)

> Is that a take-off on Goo Gone?

No, they're two quite different products.

Goo Gone is mostly light petroleum distillates,
according to its MSDS. It's got some citrus
stuff in it to make it seem friendlier.

Goof Off is mostly xylene with a touch of
ethylbenzene. I always use it outdoors.

Manda can google the full MSDS information
if she's interested.

Cindy Hamilton

brooklyn1 27-08-2010 02:46 PM

Bryan Simmons > wrote:
>On Aug 26, 4:14*pm, Roy > wrote:

>> > Nuzzle it between your breasts until it gets off.

>> ==
>> I'll bet you say that to all the girls,,,but seriously, I have used
>> fingernail polish remover. Only on glass though as if on plastic it
>> could dissolve the plastic. The solvent used to clean plastic pipe
>> fittings before gluing and joining them should work also, although I
>> haven't tried that yet.
>> ==

>Polish Remover removes almost anything. Some people think that the
>Polish aren't that smart, but I say they make a damned good Remover.
>
>--Bryyyyyyan

Not all that smart, they didn't remove you.

J. Clarke 27-08-2010 04:31 PM

On 8/26/2010 9:55 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> Manda Ruby > wrote:
>>> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>>> should use to get that glue residue off?

>> Goof Off.
>> (That's the name of the product.)
>>

> Is that a take-off on Goo Gone?

Competing products. Both work.

J. Clarke 27-08-2010 04:34 PM

On 8/26/2010 8:02 PM, wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 1:57 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:17 -1000, "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Methyl Ethel Ketone aka MEK

>> stand back...that sounds flammable! Hold my beer...gotta try
>> something...
>>

> I don't believe that it is flammable. Hold on, I got a can of the stuff
> right here... I'll just light this match up and we'll know fer sur...

It's definitely flammable. DAMHIKT.

Dimitri 27-08-2010 04:38 PM

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
> To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>

> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
> should use to get that glue residue off?

Getting the stickers off is EASY;

Just heat the bottle with a hair dryer...

Vinyl labels just peel right off.

Dimitri

Kate Connally[_2_] 27-08-2010 06:34 PM

On 8/26/2010 4:26 PM, Manda Ruby wrote:
> To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
> well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
> in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
> need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
> moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>

> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
> should use to get that glue residue off?

I've always used cigarette lighter fluid. Although recently
I couldn't find my can of lighter fluid and bought some
stuff in a spray can that is specially made to dissolve glue
and other things. It's citrus scented. Works really well.
Can't remember exactly what it's called though.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Ema Nymton 27-08-2010 06:37 PM

On 8/27/2010 8:27 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Polish Remover removes almost anything. Some people think that the
> Polish aren't that smart, but I say they make a damned good Remover.
>
> --Bryan

Many years ago, I visited a friend who worked as a meat cutter in a
supermarket. A bottle of polish remover was sitting out, so I asked what
they used polish remover for. It was for removing the sell-by date on
package of meat that were expiring.

Becca

Kate Connally[_2_] 27-08-2010 06:37 PM

On 8/26/2010 4:48 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:26 pm, Manda > wrote:
>> To remove the labels from empty glass bottles (of Asian food items as
>> well as spaghetti sauce bottle), I usually just soak the glass bottle
>> in water for a period of time until the label comes off. Sometimes, I
>> need to use the short snow -ce scraper - I keep it by the sink after
>> moving out of Mid west - to get the glue completely off the glass.
>>
>> But this one bottle has glue residue left over that are just way too
>> stick to even old the glass in the hand It's a nice bottle, short with
>> wide opening to put bulkier spice like cinnamon stick. Any tip what I
>> should use to get that glue residue off?

> You can try lighter fluid or nail polish remover (each works on
> different things) if you have those on hand; otherwise, buy some "Goo
> Gone" at your local hardware or home goods store.

I wouldn't recommend nail polished remover. It's
okay for glass but if you ever want to remove labels
from plastic it can ruin the finish. I always stick
to lighter fluid. You can use it on any surface.
And the Goo Gone is great also - I think that's the same
stuff I got recently or very similar.

Kate

[email protected] 27-08-2010 10:06 PM

On 8/27/2010 5:34 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 8:02 PM, wrote:
>> On 8/26/2010 1:57 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:17 -1000, "

>>> stand back...that sounds flammable! Hold my beer...gotta try
>>> something...
>>>

>> I don't believe that it is flammable. Hold on, I got a can of the stuff
>> right here... I'll just light this match up and we'll know fer sur...

> It's definitely flammable. DAMHIKT.

You're certainly right about this - BTW, your hair's on fire. :-)

[email protected] 27-08-2010 10:18 PM

On 8/27/2010 7:40 AM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 26-Aug-2010, > wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/2010 1:57 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:17 -1000, "

>>> stand back...that sounds flammable! Hold my beer...gotta try
>>> something...
>>>

>> I don't believe that it is flammable. Hold on, I got a can of the stuff
>> right here... I'll just light this match up and we'll know fer sur...

> It is indeed flammable and a health hazard. It is wise to always Google the
> Material Safety Data Sheet for such materials, rather than rely on dim
> memory or guess-work about its hazards. Every manufacturer, distributor and
> some retailers will have MSDSs available.
>
> From the MSDS found at http://tinyurl.com/MSDS-MEK
>
> SECTION IV - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA
> FLAMMABILITY CLASSIFICATION: Flammable Liquid - Class IB
> FLASH POINT: 21°F (TCC) LEL: 1.8% UEL: 10.1%
> EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Foam, Alcohol Foam, CO2, Dry Chemical, Water Fog.
> UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS: Handle as extremely flammable liquid.
> Vapor combines with air to
> form an explosive mixture that can be ignited easily by remote sources or
> static spark. Closed
> containers can develop internal pressure and may rupture when subjected to
> extreme heat.
> SPECIAL FIREFIGHTING PROCEDURES: Use self-contained breathing apparatus to
> avoid inhalation of
> concentrated vapor. Avoid spreading burning liquid with water fog used for
> cooling purposes.
>
> SECTION V - HEALTH HAZARD DATA
> POTENTIAL ROUTES OF ENTRY / SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
> INHALATION: Exposure to high vapor concentration may irritate mucous
> membranes and respiratory
> tract. Overexposure can cause central nervous system depression, loss of
> coordination, dizziness,
> headache, and nausea; unconsciousness and asphyxiation possible.
> EYE CONTACT: Short term liquid or vapor contact may result in irritation,
> redness, and tearing.
> SKIN CONTACT: Prolonged or repeated contact may cause drying of the skin,
> irritation, and
> dermatitis.
> SKIN ABSORPTION: Prolonged or repeated widespread contact may result in
> absorption of solvents,
> causing dizziness, headache, and nausea.
> INGESTION: May cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, and
> diarrhea. Aspiration of
> vomit into the lungs may result in severe chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary
> edema/hemorrhage.
> MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSU Pre-existing eye, skin,
> respiratory, and
> central nervous system disorders, and unusual allergic sensitivity.

It's pretty harsh stuff - known to cause cancer in California. Use MEK
only if you absolutely, positively, have to get that MF'ing residue off
in a hurry and not residing in CA. This specifically applies to glue
residue on glass only!