Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croques Monsieur? Why not?

I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see if
I woke up this morning. I did.

I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried the
sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an unusual
treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.

Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see if
> I woke up this morning. I did.
>
> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried the
> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an unusual
> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>
> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.
>
> Felice

Isn't it just a glorified grilled cheese sandwich if you don't do the
egg wash? Sounds great to me!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:23:20 -0400, Felice wrote:

> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see if
> I woke up this morning. I did.
>
> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried the
> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an unusual
> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>
> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.

In my opinion, that's just a grilled ham and cheese (a croque). A croque
monsieur is that, then covered with a white [cheese] sauce and broiled.

Grilled ham and swiss:
http://a.imageshack.us/img405/4127/c...ieurnaked2.jpg

Then turned into a croque monsieur:
http://a.imageshack.us/img267/893/croquemonsieur3.jpg

That actually sounds good right now. I have the makings for a croque
auvergnat, come to think of it. That might be dinner tonight - Thanks! :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Felice" > wrote:
>
>> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see
>> if
>> I woke up this morning. I did.
>>
>> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
>> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried
>> the
>> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an
>> unusual
>> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>>
>> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.
>>
>> Felice

> Isn't it just a glorified grilled cheese sandwich if you don't do the
> egg wash? Sounds great to me!
>
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Well, yeah, but a grilled cheese sandwich that knows someone, what with the
clarified butter and the fancy-schmancy ham and cheese.

Which reminds me, it's time to order some ghee from King Arthur. Clarifying
butter is best left to others.

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:23:20 -0400, Felice wrote:
>
>> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see
>> if
>> I woke up this morning. I did.
>>
>> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
>> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried
>> the
>> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an
>> unusual
>> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>>
>> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.

> In my opinion, that's just a grilled ham and cheese (a croque). A croque
> monsieur is that, then covered with a white [cheese] sauce and broiled.

Weeeell, not necessarily. I believe the sauce is optional to croque purists.
My nabe bistro serves them nekkid, and I once frequented a restaurant that
topped its croques with a hollandaise.

> Grilled ham and swiss:
> http://a.imageshack.us/img405/4127/c...ieurnaked2.jpg
>
> Then turned into a croque monsieur:
> http://a.imageshack.us/img267/893/croquemonsieur3.jpg
>
> That actually sounds good right now. I have the makings for a croque
> auvergnat, come to think of it. That might be dinner tonight - Thanks!
> :-)

Now that sounds like a nice variation. You are a cheese maven. aren't you?
Enjoy!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:58:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:23:20 -0400, Felice wrote:
>
>> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
>> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried the
>> sandwiches gently in clarified butter.

>In my opinion, that's just a grilled ham and cheese (a croque). A croque
>monsieur is that, then covered with a white [cheese] sauce and broiled.
>
>Grilled ham and swiss:
>http://a.imageshack.us/img405/4127/c...ieurnaked2.jpg
>
>Then turned into a croque monsieur:
>http://a.imageshack.us/img267/893/croquemonsieur3.jpg

White monsieur sauce, eh? Leave it the frogs to sex up a cheese
sammiche.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:58:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Grilled ham and swiss:
> http://a.imageshack.us/img405/4127/c...ieurnaked2.jpg

Oops, that's cheddar or American. The Swiss was in the sauce, IIRC.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> In my opinion, that's just a grilled ham and cheese (a croque). A
>> croque monsieur is that, then covered with a white [cheese] sauce
>> and broiled.

> Weeeell, not necessarily. I believe the sauce is optional to croque
> purists. My nabe bistro serves them nekkid, and I once frequented a
> restaurant that topped its croques with a hollandaise.

These are how I remember them:

http://www.a-night-in-paris.com/wher...-monsieur.html

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:50:40 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> White monsieur sauce, eh? Leave it the frogs to sex up a cheese
> sammiche.

You have issues, Shelly. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Male Escorts" and
get your fix. Don't take it out on us.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 3:23*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see if
> I woke up this morning. I did.
>
> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried the
> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an unusual
> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>
> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.
>
> Felice

never mind sliced cheese. grate it and add some brandy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:21:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:50:40 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> White monsieur sauce, eh? Leave it the frogs to sex up a cheese
>> sammiche.

> You have issues, Shelly. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Male Escorts" and
> get your fix. Don't take it out on us.
>
> -sw

by this time, i'd think he's been blacklisted by all of them.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:23:20 -0400, Felice wrote:
>
>> I was going to post this last night but I thought I'd better wait and see
>> if
>> I woke up this morning. I did.
>>
>> I brushed the inside surfaces of the bread with soft clarified butter,
>> layered slices of Black Forest ham and Finlandia swiss cheese, and fried
>> the
>> sandwiches gently in clarified butter. Not an unusual recipe but an
>> unusual
>> treat even for the Butter Queen, and they were faaaantastic.
>>
>> Sometimes, if I feel lipid-deprived, I dip them in an egg wash.

> In my opinion, that's just a grilled ham and cheese (a croque). A croque
> monsieur is that, then covered with a white [cheese] sauce and broiled.
>
> Grilled ham and swiss:
> http://a.imageshack.us/img405/4127/c...ieurnaked2.jpg
>
> Then turned into a croque monsieur:
> http://a.imageshack.us/img267/893/croquemonsieur3.jpg
>
> That actually sounds good right now. I have the makings for a croque
> auvergnat, come to think of it. That might be dinner tonight - Thanks!
> :-)
>
> -sw

Do you mean a Bechemal Sauce with added cheese, known as a Sauce Mornay? I'd
suggest throwing in a little ham stock, rather than straight milk.

Kent