Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Crab Cakes

Bill is really obsessive about the "purity" of Maryland style
crabcakes. His mother was born and raised in Baltimore and we have
family who still live in that neck of the woods. When we visit back
there, Bill can eat Maryland blue crab in about any form until it runs
out both ears. And ask for more. He sneers at any restaurant's menu
claim for Maryland-style crab cakes unless they're blue crabs *and*
made to his "taste memory" of what Maryland crab cakes should be.

I saw a recipe in the LA Times Wednesday for "Maryland-Style Crab
Cakes" and couldn't resist giving it a shot. He actually *liked* it
and said that it was the best he'd had outside of Maryland. I used
Dungeness crab. He's a tough audience, so I thought I'd post the
recipe and it's easy, peasy:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Maryland-Style Crab Cakes

fish and seafood

2 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons old bay seasoning; divided
3/4 teaspoon fresh chopped tarragon
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
2 cups crustless cubed white bread; cut into small cubes
1 pound jumbo lump crab meat; drained of liquid
2 tablespoons Butter; softened

1. Heat the oven to 400°F degrees.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise,
mustard, three-fourths teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, tarragon, onion and
celery to make a dressing.

3. In a large mixing bowl, toss the bread with half of the dressing,
mixing until the dressing is absorbed by the bread and the cubes are
slightly broken up. Add additional dressing if the cubes are too dry.

4. Gently mix in the crab, being careful not to break up the lump
pieces. The mixture should hold its shape when formed into a ball with
your hand. If it is too dry, add additional dressing until the mixture
comes together. You might not use all of the dressing.

5. Divide the mixture and form into 8 crab cakes. Place the cakes on a
greased cookie sheet or sheet pan.

6. In a small bowl, stir the butter together with the remaining
one-half teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning. Top each cake with a small dollop
of the seasoned butter.

7. Bake the cakes until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve
warm.

Notes: Oceanaire Seafood Room

Yield: 8 (4-ounce) crab cakes

Preparation Time: 40 mi

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crab Cakes

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bill is really obsessive about the "purity" of Maryland style> crabcakes.
> His mother was born and raised in Baltimore and we have
> family who still live in that neck of the woods. When we visit back>
> there, Bill can eat Maryland blue crab in about any form until it runs
> out both ears. And ask for more. He sneers at any restaurant's menu> claim
> for Maryland-style crab cakes unless they're blue crabs *and*
> made to his "taste memory" of what Maryland crab cakes should be.
>
> I saw a recipe in the LA Times Wednesday for "Maryland-Style Crab
> Cakes" and couldn't resist giving it a shot. He actually *liked* it
> and said that it was the best he'd had outside of Maryland. I used
> Dungeness crab. He's a tough audience, so I thought I'd post the
> recipe and it's easy, peasy:

> Maryland-Style Crab Cakes

> 2 eggs
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
> 1 1/4 teaspoons old bay seasoning; divided
> 3/4 teaspoon fresh chopped tarragon
> 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
> 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
> 2 cups crustless cubed white bread; cut into small cubes
> 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat; drained of liquid
> 2 tablespoons Butter; softened

And here is another to try, but I insist on the blues.

1 pound crabmeat, carefully checked for cartilege
homemade mayonnaise to moisten, said mayonnaise made with Chesapeake "Old
Bay" seasoning in place of salt
dry breadcrumbs for dredging
butter

Mix the cleaned crab with mayonnaise and a pinch or two of Old Bay if you
haven't made your mayonnaise with it. Divide this mixture into 4 and form
into a ball using wet hands.

Drop the ball into a soup plate filled with breadcrumbs and roll it around.
Lay aside on a plate until all are done.

Heat butter in a frying pan. Drop the balls into the sizzling butter,
flatten slightly. Cook until browned on one side then turn and cook until
brown. That's it. No fillers, no vegetables, nuttin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2010 2:12 AM, Giusi wrote:

> And here is another to try, but I insist on the blues.
>
> 1 pound crabmeat, carefully checked for cartilege
> homemade mayonnaise to moisten, said mayonnaise made with Chesapeake "Old
> Bay" seasoning in place of salt
> dry breadcrumbs for dredging
> butter
>
> Mix the cleaned crab with mayonnaise and a pinch or two of Old Bay if you
> haven't made your mayonnaise with it. Divide this mixture into 4 and form
> into a ball using wet hands.
>
> Drop the ball into a soup plate filled with breadcrumbs and roll it around.
> Lay aside on a plate until all are done.
>
> Heat butter in a frying pan. Drop the balls into the sizzling butter,
> flatten slightly. Cook until browned on one side then turn and cook until
> brown. That's it. No fillers, no vegetables, nuttin.

This is basically my recipe and what I believe is the closest to a true
Maryland crab cake.

I form the cakes and place them on a plate and then refrigerate them for
about 30 minutes. I find this helps them hold together better. Can't
remember where I got the tip, but it works.

I have also used panko instead of the bread crumbs and we like them
better even though panko is not traditional.

They *must* be sauteed in butter.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:52:00 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 8/21/2010 2:12 AM, Giusi wrote:
>
>> And here is another to try, but I insist on the blues.

<snip>

>This is basically my recipe and what I believe is the closest to a true
>Maryland crab cake.

<more snip>

Well, Mr. Fussbudget said the crabcakes I made from the LA Times was
the best he's had outside of Maryland-ish (I say, "Maryland-ish" to
include some of the area surrounding Maryland that meets with his
approval). And it was *baked* which is a good thing, as since 75% of
his small intestine was removed, fried foods are a no-no. And sugar.
And chocolate. And...well, the list is enough to make you feel very,
very sorry for the poor guy.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Well, Mr. Fussbudget said the crabcakes I made from the LA Times was
> the best he's had outside of Maryland-ish (I say, "Maryland-ish" to
> include some of the area surrounding Maryland that meets with his
> approval). And it was *baked* which is a good thing, as since 75% of
> his small intestine was removed, fried foods are a no-no. And sugar.
> And chocolate. And...well, the list is enough to make you feel very,
> very sorry for the poor guy.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

The main thing is - he enjoyed them. I'm glad.

Dora
(in Maryland)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

, Janet Wilder> > wrote:

>>On 8/21/2010 2:12 AM, Giusi wrote:
>>
>>> And here is another to try, but I insist on the blues.

> <snip>
>
>>This is basically my recipe and what I believe is the closest to a true

> Well, Mr. Fussbudget said the crabcakes I made from the LA Times was> the
> best he's had outside of Maryland-ish (I say, "Maryland-ish" to
> include some of the area surrounding Maryland that meets with his>
> approval). And it was *baked* which is a good thing, as since 75% of
> his small intestine was removed, fried foods are a no-no. And sugar.> And
> chocolate. And...well, the list is enough to make you feel very,
> very sorry for the poor guy.

Which makes it a huge success. Poor baby.

I only posted because it makes me shiver to see how much stuff magazines and
newspapers throw into crabcakes. I learned from an ancient crabby guy on
the Chesapeake when I lived there. He taught me about soft shells too. He
said people put all that stuff in there so they won't have to pay for
crabmeat! And I miss it mightily. The blue that is, because I do make
things out of what I can buy here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:48:15 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> , Janet Wilder> > wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>>>This is basically my recipe and what I believe is the closest to a true

>> Well, Mr. Fussbudget said the crabcakes I made from the LA Times was> the
>> best he's had outside of Maryland-ish (I say, "Maryland-ish" to
>> include some of the area surrounding Maryland that meets with his>
>> approval). And it was *baked* which is a good thing, as since 75% of
>> his small intestine was removed, fried foods are a no-no. And sugar.> And
>> chocolate. And...well, the list is enough to make you feel very,
>> very sorry for the poor guy.

> Which makes it a huge success. Poor baby.
>
> I only posted because it makes me shiver to see how much stuff magazines and
> newspapers throw into crabcakes. I learned from an ancient crabby guy on
> the Chesapeake when I lived there. He taught me about soft shells too. He
> said people put all that stuff in there so they won't have to pay for
> crabmeat! And I miss it mightily. The blue that is, because I do make
> things out of what I can buy here.

i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she was game,
even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical. i can't
recall whether she was there for the face and gill removal or not.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she
> was
> game, even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical.
> i can't recall whether she was there for the face and gill removal
> or
> not.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Well, the first one I had when I came from the UK to the US left me
scratching my head. When it arrived, legs, claws et al, my only
thought was OMG - I'm supposed to *eat* this??

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Giusi wrote:

And I miss it mightily. The blue that is, because I do make >> things out
of what I can buy here.

> i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she was
> game,> even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical. i
> can't
> recall whether she was there for the face and gill removal or not.

Many years ago when I was a girl still in DC >I used to go to Rehobeth Beach
in a rental with my friends. I was usually the cook. A Peruvian friend who
was considered a gourmet insisted on watching every step of the preparation
of soft shells. When I took the big butcher knife and chopped the first
head off, she hit the floor. Apparently Peruvian ladies don't kill their
own food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she >> was
>> game, even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical.

> Well, the first one I had when I came from the UK to the US left me >
> scratching my head. When it arrived, legs, claws et al, my only > thought
> was OMG - I'm supposed to *eat* this??

My first was a soft shell sandwich on the Patuxent River. It looked like
breaded spider on Wonder Bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Dora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Well, the first one I had when I came from the UK to the US left me
>> >

>> scratching my head. When it arrived, legs, claws et al, my only >
>> thought was OMG - I'm supposed to *eat* this??

> My first was a soft shell sandwich on the Patuxent River. It looked
> like breaded spider on Wonder Bread.

Right on target!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:03:00 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
> And I miss it mightily. The blue that is, because I do make >> things out
> of what I can buy here.
>>
>> i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she was
>> game,> even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical. i
>> can't
>> recall whether she was there for the face and gill removal or not.

> Many years ago when I was a girl still in DC >I used to go to Rehobeth Beach
> in a rental with my friends. I was usually the cook. A Peruvian friend who
> was considered a gourmet insisted on watching every step of the preparation
> of soft shells. When I took the big butcher knife and chopped the first
> head off, she hit the floor. Apparently Peruvian ladies don't kill their
> own food.

my father tells the story of my mother's mother de-facing the softshells
with tears streaming down her face. it made me think of 'the walrus and
the carpenter':

'I weep for you,' the Walrus said:
'I deeply sympathize.'
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

'O Oysters,' said the Carpenter,
'You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none --
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2010 4:04 AM, Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> i once made some sautéed softshells for a gal from scotland. she>> was
>>> game, even though the look on her face was at first very skeptical.

>> Well, the first one I had when I came from the UK to the US left me>
>> scratching my head. When it arrived, legs, claws et al, my only> thought
>> was OMG - I'm supposed to *eat* this??

> My first was a soft shell sandwich on the Patuxent River. It looked like
> breaded spider on Wonder Bread.

Hah! Was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Pax River for two years
and married a girl from there. We ate soft shell crab sandwiches every
chance we could get. Back in 1958-1959 we could get a whole platter of
them for about $2.00 and beer was 25 cents a bottle to boot. Water ski
and boat race all day and then go to the Seven Gables Inn to eat soft
shell crab and drink beer to cool off. Thanks for kick starting those
memories Giusi.

It's hard to believe we will be married fifty years in December. Where
did all the time go?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Hah! Was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Pax River for two
> years
> and married a girl from there. We ate soft shell crab sandwiches
> every
> chance we could get. Back in 1958-1959 we could get a whole platter
> of
> them for about $2.00 and beer was 25 cents a bottle to boot. Water
> ski
> and boat race all day and then go to the Seven Gables Inn to eat
> soft
> shell crab and drink beer to cool off. Thanks for kick starting
> those
> memories Giusi.
>
> It's hard to believe we will be married fifty years in December.
> Where
> did all the time go?

You'd probably see quite a difference now.
Solomons has been adopted by the "in crowd" and it's a pretty lively
place - at least in the summer. It's not the sleepy little place it
was when you were across the Patuxent. That $2 a platter for the soft
crabs has long gone, too. Last I saw was at the Kent Narrows, at $11
a sandwich and fries, and counting.
Crabs and oysters are a luxury now on the Bay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:33:49 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> >
> > My first was a soft shell sandwich on the Patuxent River. It looked
> > like breaded spider on Wonder Bread.

> Right on target!

OK, that sounds disgusting. Crossing that one off the list of things
I want to try.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:46:18 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> It's hard to believe we will be married fifty years in December. Where
> did all the time go?

Time flies when you're having a good time.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 8/23/2010 4:04 AM, Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> Well, the first one I had when I came from the UK to the US left me>
>>> scratching my head. When it arrived, legs, claws et al, my only>
>>> thought
>>> was OMG - I'm supposed to *eat* this??

>> My first was a soft shell sandwich on the Patuxent River. It looked like
>> breaded spider on Wonder Bread.

> Hah! Was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Pax River for two years and
> married a girl from there. We ate soft shell crab sandwiches every chance
> we could get. Back in 1958-1959 we could get a whole platter of them for
> about $2.00 and beer was 25 cents a bottle to boot. Water ski and boat
> race all day and then go to the Seven Gables Inn to eat soft shell crab
> and drink beer to cool off. Thanks for kick starting those memories Giusi.
>
> It's hard to believe we will be married fifty years in December. Where did
> all the time go?

Don't know where it's gone, but I hope it has gone happily. Advance
congratulations!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> Hah! Was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Pax River for two years
>> and married a girl from there. We ate soft shell crab sandwiches every
>> chance we could get.

I'm not crazy about crab to begin with. It tastes salty with none of the
wonderful sweetness of lobster to me. Soft shell crab I have eaten on
about 4 occasions and every time I say "Never again!"

The shells aren't mineral-hard, but they are present and leathery
textured. I've had them from Block Island Sound, freshly gathered with
friends, at a restaurant in Baltimore, and in a couple of Vietnamese
restaurants and have had the same result every time, like eating
crabmeat wrapped in soft leather. Gives me the shuddders to think aobut it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

> I'm not crazy about crab to begin with. It tastes salty with none of
> the wonderful sweetness of lobster to me. Soft shell crab I have
> eaten on about 4 occasions and every time I say "Never again!"
>
> The shells aren't mineral-hard, but they are present and leathery
> textured. I've had them from Block Island Sound, freshly gathered
> with friends, at a restaurant in Baltimore, and in a couple of
> Vietnamese restaurants and have had the same result every time, like
> eating crabmeat wrapped in soft leather. Gives me the shuddders to
> think
> aobut it.
> gloria p

When a crab is like that, it's no longer a soft crab but is what is
called a "paper shell". I agree - they're really objectionable. A
lot of the seafood houses, and even some seafood restaurants, keep in
"sloughing tanks" those crabs which are soon to molt, thus catching
them right after the molt and
at the right time for cooking.

The link shown below says up to four days for eating but ideally it's
as short as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-shell_crab

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

>> George Shirley wrote:
>>>
>>> Hah! Was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Pax River for two years
>>> and married a girl from there. We ate soft shell crab sandwiches every
>>> chance we could get.

> I'm not crazy about crab to begin with. It tastes salty with none of the
> wonderful sweetness of lobster to me. Soft shell crab I have eaten on
> about 4 occasions and every time I say "Never again!"
>
> The shells aren't mineral-hard, but they are present and leathery
> textured. I've had them from Block Island Sound, freshly gathered with
> friends, at a restaurant in Baltimore, and in a couple of Vietnamese
> restaurants and have had the same result every time, like eating crabmeat
> wrapped in soft leather. Gives me the shuddders to think aobut it.
>
> gloria p

You didn't get the good ones. The shells on the ones you got were on their
way to hardening. It's something you like or not. To eat a soft shelled
crab, you eat everything.

Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a few days
before shucking their shells, but you still get the Full Monty.

But then, there's mountain oysters, plain oysters, snails ................ I
could go on for a while.

Steve

Get a free book from our trillions available for download before they're
gone! ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> gloria.p wrote:
>>
>> I'm not crazy about crab to begin with. It tastes salty with none of
>> the wonderful sweetness of lobster to me. Soft shell crab I have
>> eaten on about 4 occasions and every time I say "Never again!"
>>
>> The shells aren't mineral-hard, but they are present and leathery
>> textured. I've had them from Block Island Sound, freshly gathered
>> with friends, at a restaurant in Baltimore, and in a couple of
>> Vietnamese restaurants and have had the same result every time, like
>> eating crabmeat wrapped in soft leather. Gives me the shuddders to think
>> aobut it.
>> gloria p

> When a crab is like that, it's no longer a soft crab but is what is called
> a "paper shell". I agree - they're really objectionable. A lot of the
> seafood houses, and even some seafood restaurants, keep in "sloughing
> tanks" those crabs which are soon to molt, thus catching them right after
> the molt and
> at the right time for cooking.
>
> The link shown below says up to four days for eating but ideally it's as
> short as possible.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-shell_crab

The best is to walk around floundering with a wet pillow case, and some
seaweed, and capture them in the act of molting. (Is that the right word?)

Steve

Get a free book from our trillions available for download before they're
gone! ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> But then, there's mountain oysters, plain oysters, snails
>> ................ I
>> could go on for a while.
>>
>> Steve

> I recently saw mountain oysters at Fiesta. :-)
> I've eaten deep fried "calf fries" in the past but will give those big
> things a pass.
>
> As for snails, purged with corn meal and cooked properly, they are
> delicious.
> --
> Peace! Om

I ate my first snails on a Carnival Cruise last year. As with everything, I
just popped one in my mouth, and could give you an opinion in ten seconds.
I would eat them again, and I liked them. I do not know the difference
between corn meal purged snails, and the garden variety, but I'm sure I
could taste a bad snail, as one can taste a bad clam.

If one has a glass of merlot, or single malt scotch handy, it helps take
away the taste quickly.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

To eat a
> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>
> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a
> few days before shucking their shells, but you still get the Full
> Monty.
> Steve

No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face, eyes,
gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:

> Steve B wrote:
>>

> To eat a
>> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>>
>> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a
>> few days before shucking their shells, but you still
>> get the Full Monty. Steve

> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten in
their entirety

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400, Dora wrote:

> Steve B wrote:
>>

> To eat a
>> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>>
>> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a
>> few days before shucking their shells, but you still get the Full
>> Monty.
>> Steve

> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face, eyes,
> gills and guts should be removed before cooking.
>
> Dora

i was going to post the same thing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:04:38 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:
>
>> Steve B wrote:
>>>

>> To eat a
>>> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>>>
>>> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a
>>> few days before shucking their shells, but you still
>>> get the Full Monty. Steve

>> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten in
> their entirety

i'd be amazed if they weren't cleaned before going into the batter.

<googles>

the first three recipes i looked at called for either 'cleaned' or
'dressed.' the face might be one thing; the gills would be disgusting.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:04:38 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:
>>
>>> Steve B wrote:
>>>>
>>> To eat a

>>> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>>> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

>> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten in
>> their entirety

> i'd be amazed if they weren't cleaned before going into the batter.
>
> <googles>
>
> the first three recipes i looked at called for either 'cleaned' or
> 'dressed.' the face might be one thing; the gills would be disgusting.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You people really want to look your food in the face while you're eating it?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/2010 9:04 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:
>
>> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten
> in their entirety

My mother removed the apron, the lungs and she cut off the face. I'm
not going to tell her she was wrong, at least not within arm reach. ;-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:
>
>> Steve B wrote:
>>>

>> To eat a
>>> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>>>
>>> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a
>>> few days before shucking their shells, but you still
>>> get the Full Monty. Steve

>> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten
> in their entirety

You can do it your way, James - I'd rather do it mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 8/24/2010 9:04 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>> Dora wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:48 -0400:
>>
>>> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>>> eyes, gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

>> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great
>> eaten
>> in their entirety
>>

> My mother removed the apron, the lungs and she cut off the face.
> I'm
> not going to tell her she was wrong, at least not within arm reach.
> ;-)
> Becca

Becca, your mother was right on the money (and I forgot about the
apron. I always forget *something* ).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > ha scritto nel messaggio > Steve B wrote:

> To eat a
>> soft shelled crab, you eat everything.
>>
>> Hair, hide, eyeballs, guts, everything. They do stop eating for a>> few
>> days before shucking their shells, but you still get the Full
>> Monty.
>> Steve

> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face, eyes, gills
> and guts should be removed before cooking.

Uh-huh! Face and gills, yes, but guts do NOT remove. That's the delish
part!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Dora" >> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The
> face, eyes,
>> gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

> Uh-huh! Face and gills, yes, but guts do NOT remove. That's the
> delish part!

Sorry, Giusi. I highly respect you but can't bring myself to enjoy
the intestines. I remove them, whether it's a hard or soft crab.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:38:03 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> Nuts! Deep- fried or tempura soft-shelled blue crabs are great eaten in
>>> their entirety

>> i'd be amazed if they weren't cleaned before going into the batter.
>>
>> <googles>
>>
>> the first three recipes i looked at called for either 'cleaned' or
>> 'dressed.' the face might be one thing; the gills would be disgusting.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You people really want to look your food in the face while you're eating it?
>
> Felice

i turn out the lights so nobody sees nothin'.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:38:03 -0400, Felice wrote:

>>> i'd be amazed if they weren't cleaned before going into the batter.
>>>
>>> <googles>
>>>
>>> the first three recipes i looked at called for either 'cleaned' or
>>> 'dressed.' the face might be one thing; the gills would be disgusting.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> You people really want to look your food in the face while you're eating
>> it?
>>
>> Felice

> i turn out the lights so nobody sees nothin'.
>
> your pal,
> blake

We talkin' eating or what?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> "Dora" >> No way should you eat everything. That's gross. The face,
>> eyes,
>>
>>> gills and guts should be removed before cooking.

>> Uh-huh! Face and gills, yes, but guts do NOT remove. That's the
>> delish part!

> Sorry, Giusi. I highly respect you but can't bring myself to enjoy the
> intestines. I remove them, whether it's a hard or soft crab.

If noting else add the parts one wont eat to a stock pot?

I haven't bought a whole anything fish or seafood in years, even the few
crabs i have bought over the last few years i had cleaned and dressed by
the fish monger that sold them to me.

But every once in a while i buy a dollar bag of the butchered remains of
various sea food one of my fish mongers offers if you get there early in
the morning. Usually several pounds of various parts to use to make a
stock with which i then use for making soups and/or sauces.

I have never been satisfied with frozen stock of any kind and have found
that even an over cooking of a fish or sea food stock will seriously
diminish its flavor and as far as i am concerned fish/seafood stock must
be made and used as needed. It does not keep well.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:06:43 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> You people really want to look your food in the face while you're eating
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> i turn out the lights so nobody sees nothin'.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> We talkin' eating or what?
>
> Felice

the technique has various applications.

your pal,
blake

Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes (Clone Recipe) Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-03-2005 02:13 PM
Simply Delicious Chesapeake Crab Cakes (1994 - First Place, Crab Cake Division) Duckie ® Recipes 0 25-06-2004 12:13 AM
Crab Cakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2004 01:37 PM
Crab cakes lepe General Cooking 11 29-01-2004 12:40 AM
CRAB CAKES Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-01-2004 05:31 PM