Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made bread!

Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
(when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
little nervous.

I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals. And
she provided recipes for making your own condiments, extras, and
breads. We both love pizza and I got two bags of pepperoni on sale for
$2 each a few weeks ago... so I just mixed up a batch. It looks like
bread and smells like bread... now I just have to cross my fingers and
hope that my yeast wasn't too old to rise. I bought it last year to
make hot cross buns and never had time. But pizza's a flatbread anyway
so it's not vitally important. I sometimes use a simple
scone-dough/pastry crust but my recipe uses 1/3 cup oil and it tends
to be hard on my stomach. The bread dough only uses 1 tbs...

The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
they were oh so good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
> little nervous.
>
> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
> around here!)

I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're not the
only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still clip coupons and
shop sales. I just don't count on them counting them twice.

Hope the bread turns out well!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
> little nervous.
>
> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
> around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals. And
> she provided recipes for making your own condiments, extras, and
> breads. We both love pizza and I got two bags of pepperoni on sale for
> $2 each a few weeks ago... so I just mixed up a batch. It looks like
> bread and smells like bread... now I just have to cross my fingers and
> hope that my yeast wasn't too old to rise. I bought it last year to
> make hot cross buns and never had time. But pizza's a flatbread anyway
> so it's not vitally important. I sometimes use a simple
> scone-dough/pastry crust but my recipe uses 1/3 cup oil and it tends
> to be hard on my stomach. The bread dough only uses 1 tbs...
>
> The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
> crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
> they were oh so good.

Good luck with the bread Making ones own bread is just SO satisfying)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:42:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>news
>> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
>> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
>> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
>> little nervous.
>>
>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
>> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
>> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
>> around here!)

>I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're not the
>only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still clip coupons and
>shop sales. I just don't count on them counting them twice.
>
>Hope the bread turns out well!

I've got nothing against coupons if you put them in front of me... but
I've never actively sought them out. I looked in the sunday paper a
few times and they didn't seem to have many coupons for stuff I'd
actually use. But I'm going to get one again and have another looksee
- for about six months they were mailing a couple of coupon inserts
directly to us every week and I had a little file to help me use them.
It's a shame they stopped...

I just checked on my bread dough and it's rising after 45 minutes! I'm
excited now... does it matter how long I leave it on the counter? Her
recipe says 1hr+... will leaving it longer make it come out better?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> I just checked on my bread dough and it's rising after 45 minutes! I'm
> excited now... does it matter how long I leave it on the counter? Her
> recipe says 1hr+... will leaving it longer make it come out better?

If you leave it too long it will collapse is this the first rise? if so,
knock it back (very gently) and allow the second rise.

Once it has risen, maybe half the way of the first rise, put it in a hot
oven and it will rise again) Then allow to bake through You are in for
a treat

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:04:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>> I just checked on my bread dough and it's rising after 45 minutes! I'm
>> excited now... does it matter how long I leave it on the counter? Her
>> recipe says 1hr+... will leaving it longer make it come out better?

>If you leave it too long it will collapse is this the first rise? if so,
>knock it back (very gently) and allow the second rise.
>
>Once it has risen, maybe half the way of the first rise, put it in a hot
>oven and it will rise again) Then allow to bake through You are in for
>a treat

Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
it's pizza crust? It was basically - mix flour, dried yeast, sugar,
oil and water and leave it sit 15 minutes then knead in the rest of
the flour and wait an hour. And that's all there is to it! It sounded
so easy I had to give it a go...

And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
re-rise.

I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:11:18 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
>> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
>> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
>> around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals.

> A book that is out of print, but helpful for stretching the budget
>is: Great Dinners with Less Meat. Your library may have it. Another
>one that has a lot of good ideas for reducing the budget and eating for
>less is Family Feasts for $75 a week, which is a recent publication, and
>should be available at the library. The author feeds quite a large
>family on this budget.

I don't think they've got that one... I'll put in a request for it and
see what happens. There are a LOT of people struggling to make ends
meet in this area.

This person has a website too... http://www.5dollardinners.com/ I
haven't looked at it yet, but one nice thing about her book is that
she doesn't get her $5 by using hamburger helper and kraft
mac-and-cheese (etc.) She uses real food! And each dinner consists of
a protein, a starch, and at least one vegetable which is included in
her pricing. It's an actual plate of recognisable food which looks
like something that I'd put on my table.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:04:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>>> I just checked on my bread dough and it's rising after 45 minutes! I'm
>>> excited now... does it matter how long I leave it on the counter? Her
>>> recipe says 1hr+... will leaving it longer make it come out better?

>>If you leave it too long it will collapse is this the first rise? if
>>so,
>>knock it back (very gently) and allow the second rise.
>>
>>Once it has risen, maybe half the way of the first rise, put it in a hot
>>oven and it will rise again) Then allow to bake through You are in
>>for
>>a treat

> Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
> it's pizza crust?

I must have missed that.. sorry I didn't know you were making pizza

It was basically - mix flour, dried yeast, sugar,
> oil and water and leave it sit 15 minutes then knead in the rest of
> the flour and wait an hour. And that's all there is to it! It sounded
> so easy I had to give it a go...
>
> And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
> and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
> re-rise.
>
> I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
> are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
> going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

Well, you don't HAVE to have a bread pan It will bake nicely on an oven
sheet.. unless you want a loaf...

I do hope you enjoy bread making as much as I have)))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 2:23*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
> little nervous.
>
> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
> around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals. And
> she provided recipes for making your own condiments, extras, and
> breads. We both love pizza and I got two bags of pepperoni on sale for
> $2 each a few weeks ago... so I just mixed up a batch. It looks like
> bread and smells like bread... now I just have to cross my fingers and
> hope that my yeast wasn't too old to rise. I bought it last year to
> make hot cross buns and never had time. But pizza's a flatbread anyway
> so it's not vitally important. I sometimes use a simple
> scone-dough/pastry crust but my recipe uses 1/3 cup oil and it tends
> to be hard on my stomach. The bread dough only uses 1 tbs...
>
> The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
> crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
> they were oh so good.

You can save on yeast if you buy the large pkg at a Costco type
place. I freeze half of it.

I did buy two loaf pans - I like the uniform shape for sandwiches etc.
They are supposed to be nonstick, but I still given em a very fine
oiling.

You might want to consider a bread machine - takes a lot of work out
of kneading, waiting etc. I let mine make the dough, then let it rise
in the loaf pan, then bake in my regular oven. Have been making bread
in it for 20 years, plus pizza dough. Have probably saved hundreds in
the long run. You'll never be satisfied with store-bought again.

How about posting your cracker recipe? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
> are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
> going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

If you know anyone with a Sam's Club membership, they can get you two
1-pound foil bags of instant dried yeast for just a couple of dollars.
It lasts almost forever in the freezer or the fridge.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Kajikit" > wrote

>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived
>> in the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only
>> relies on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's
>> unheard of around here!)

> I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're
> not the only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still
> clip coupons and shop sales. I just don't count on them counting
> them twice.

I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.

nancy

> Hope the bread turns out well!
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:18:14 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
>it's pizza crust? It was basically - mix flour, dried yeast, sugar,
>oil and water and leave it sit 15 minutes then knead in the rest of
>the flour and wait an hour. And that's all there is to it! It sounded
>so easy I had to give it a go...
>
>And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
>and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
>re-rise.

If you intend to make thin pizza crust, fine... let it rise and
re-rise until you're ready to use it. However, I've found that I
should only let the dough rise once when I make focaccia or else it's
too soft and bready. You want a focaccia to be "toothy".

>I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
>are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
>going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

I need to do that too, but always grab a packet in the heat of the
moment (while complaining bitterly about the price).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:39:09 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:04:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>If you leave it too long it will collapse is this the first rise? if
>>>so,
>>>knock it back (very gently) and allow the second rise.
>>>
>>>Once it has risen, maybe half the way of the first rise, put it in a hot
>>>oven and it will rise again) Then allow to bake through You are in
>>>for
>>>a treat

>> Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
>> it's pizza crust?

>I must have missed that.. sorry I didn't know you were making pizza
>

> It was basically - mix flour, dried yeast, sugar,
>> oil and water and leave it sit 15 minutes then knead in the rest of
>> the flour and wait an hour. And that's all there is to it! It sounded
>> so easy I had to give it a go...
>>
>> And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
>> and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
>> re-rise.
>>
>> I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
>> are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
>> going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

>Well, you don't HAVE to have a bread pan It will bake nicely on an oven
>sheet.. unless you want a loaf...
>
>I do hope you enjoy bread making as much as I have)))
>
>--

Thanks for the bread tip anyway O. I have never started baking when
the second rise is only half... I wait longer. Next time, I'll try to
remember not to let it rise so much before baking.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:16:45 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>A long, slow rise is very good for bread, but
>you won't want to leave it rising on the counter for a day. :-)

If you know you won't have time to get to it right away, stick it into
the refrigerator and there's your long, slow rise.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:17:47 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> "Kajikit" > wrote

>>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived
>>> in the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only
>>> relies on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's
>>> unheard of around here!)

>> I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're
>> not the only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still
>> clip coupons and shop sales. I just don't count on them counting
>> them twice.

>I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
>stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
>doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.
>
>nancy

Out of curiousity I looked at the dinners website and there was a link
to somebody else who talks about coupons. Publix doubles coupons in
the other states they're in - but not in Florida! Grrr... they also
have a few other great deals everywhere else but here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:23:09 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
>and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
>(when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
>little nervous.
>
>I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
>the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
>on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
>around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals. And
>she provided recipes for making your own condiments, extras, and
>breads. We both love pizza and I got two bags of pepperoni on sale for
>$2 each a few weeks ago... so I just mixed up a batch. It looks like
>bread and smells like bread... now I just have to cross my fingers and
>hope that my yeast wasn't too old to rise. I bought it last year to
>make hot cross buns and never had time. But pizza's a flatbread anyway
>so it's not vitally important. I sometimes use a simple
>scone-dough/pastry crust but my recipe uses 1/3 cup oil and it tends
>to be hard on my stomach. The bread dough only uses 1 tbs...
>
>The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
>crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
>they were oh so good.

And it's done... I rolled the dough up into stromboli and baked them.
One lesson learned - if you are going to put frozen vegetables into
your stromboli, cook them in the microwave first (or at least thaw
them!) Mine was far soggier than Johns pepperoni-and-olive offering.
If I'd pre-thawed the veggies, it wouldn't have had to bake for 50
minutes to be done. It was hard as a rock on the ends!

Also, if the bread dough recipe says to use 1tsp salt, don't skimp it.
I don't usually use any salt in my cooking except at the end, but I
knew bread needs it. So I put 1/2 tsp in and it wasn't really enough.
Other than that, the bread was fine. I'll make some real bread later
in the week and see how that turns out. There's nothing as delicious
as fresh-baked-bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:42:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
>>> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
>>> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
>>> little nervous.
>>>
>>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
>>> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
>>> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
>>> around here!)

>>I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're not the
>>only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still clip coupons
>>and
>>shop sales. I just don't count on them counting them twice.
>>
>>Hope the bread turns out well!

> I've got nothing against coupons if you put them in front of me... but
> I've never actively sought them out. I looked in the sunday paper a
> few times and they didn't seem to have many coupons for stuff I'd
> actually use. But I'm going to get one again and have another looksee
> - for about six months they were mailing a couple of coupon inserts
> directly to us every week and I had a little file to help me use them.
> It's a shame they stopped...

Considering you were wondering how to cut costs I'm surprised you don't
bother to look at the online sales fliers. I went to the grocery store
yesterday at least armed with knowledge of things on sale (some required
coupons, some didn't). I only shop about once a month and spend about $100
total. You can check the sales online then pick up the flier as you walk in
the door, you don't have to wait for them to be delivered.

> I just checked on my bread dough and it's rising after 45 minutes! I'm
> excited now... does it matter how long I leave it on the counter? Her
> recipe says 1hr+... will leaving it longer make it come out better?

I don't know that recipe so I can't answer that question.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:04:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>If you leave it too long it will collapse is this the first rise? if
>>>so,
>>>knock it back (very gently) and allow the second rise.
>>>
>>>Once it has risen, maybe half the way of the first rise, put it in a hot
>>>oven and it will rise again) Then allow to bake through You are in
>>>for
>>>a treat

>> Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
>> it's pizza crust?

> I must have missed that.. sorry I didn't know you were making pizza

She didn't say a thing about pizza dough.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Well, I'm in the process of making it... I just finished kneading it
> and left it on the counter to rise. I've never made bread from scratch
> (when I want fresh bread I usually buy frozen bread dough) so I'm a
> little nervous.
>
> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived in
> the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only relies
> on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's unheard of
> around here!), but she gave me some fresh ideas for cheap meals. And
> she provided recipes for making your own condiments, extras, and
> breads. We both love pizza and I got two bags of pepperoni on sale for
> $2 each a few weeks ago... so I just mixed up a batch. It looks like
> bread and smells like bread... now I just have to cross my fingers and
> hope that my yeast wasn't too old to rise. I bought it last year to
> make hot cross buns and never had time. But pizza's a flatbread anyway
> so it's not vitally important. I sometimes use a simple
> scone-dough/pastry crust but my recipe uses 1/3 cup oil and it tends
> to be hard on my stomach. The bread dough only uses 1 tbs...
>
> The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
> crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
> they were oh so good.

Excellent, Karen! Good on you!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
> and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
> re-rise.
>
> I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
> are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
> going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

Uh-oh, you're getting hooked! Do you have a meatloaf pan? That will
work. Actually if you don't want square slices of bread for
sandwiches, you can bake a loaf on a tile or a cookie sheet without
a bread pan. (There are usually loaf pans of many sizes available at
thrift shops if you want to start inexpensively.)

I buy Red Star yeast in large bags (2 lb?) at Costco for less than $4
and it keeps very well for over a year in the refrigerator. Even the
jars aren't enough yeast if you start baking often.

Take advantage of your local library for books on yeast/bread baking.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:23:09 -0400, Kajikit >

> Also, if the bread dough recipe says to use 1tsp salt, don't skimp it.
> I don't usually use any salt in my cooking except at the end, but I
> knew bread needs it. So I put 1/2 tsp in and it wasn't really enough.
> Other than that, the bread was fine. I'll make some real bread later
> in the week and see how that turns out. There's nothing as delicious
> as fresh-baked-bread.

Amen! Salt affects the rising of yeast, too. It slows it down and
allows more yeast flavor to develop. A second rising also helps to
develop flavor. Salt also adds a LOT of flavor. Bread without salt is
really insipid, so is pie crust.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're not
> the only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still clip
> coupons and shop sales. I just don't count on them counting them twice.

Publix does it here, perhaps they do it down your way too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're not
>> the only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still clip
>> coupons and shop sales. I just don't count on them counting them twice.

> Publix does it here, perhaps they do it down your way too?

Nope, they don't. I clip coupons but they never double them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the bread tip anyway O. I have never started baking when
> the second rise is only half... I wait longer. Next time, I'll try to
> remember not to let it rise so much before baking.

Do report back
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:23:09 -0400, Kajikit >
> And it's done... I rolled the dough up into stromboli and baked them.
> One lesson learned - if you are going to put frozen vegetables into
> your stromboli, cook them in the microwave first (or at least thaw
> them!) Mine was far soggier than Johns pepperoni-and-olive offering.
> If I'd pre-thawed the veggies, it wouldn't have had to bake for 50
> minutes to be done. It was hard as a rock on the ends!

All a good learning curve

> Also, if the bread dough recipe says to use 1tsp salt, don't skimp it.
> I don't usually use any salt in my cooking except at the end, but I
> knew bread needs it. So I put 1/2 tsp in and it wasn't really enough.
> Other than that, the bread was fine. I'll make some real bread later
> in the week and see how that turns out. There's nothing as delicious
> as fresh-baked-bread.

Be careful of using too much salt in the bread.. it retards the yeast.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Kajikit" > wrote in message

>>> Her recipe didn't say anything about a second rise... perhaps because
>>> it's pizza crust?

>> I must have missed that.. sorry I didn't know you were making pizza
>>

> She didn't say a thing about pizza dough.

Well... it doesn't really matter... we know now
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Kajikit > wrote:
>> The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
>> crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
>> they were oh so good.

> Excellent, Karen! Good on you!

I wouldn't mind a recipe for cheesy crackers

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Kajikit wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:23:09 -0400, Kajikit >

>> Also, if the bread dough recipe says to use 1tsp salt, don't skimp it.
>> I don't usually use any salt in my cooking except at the end, but I
>> knew bread needs it. So I put 1/2 tsp in and it wasn't really enough.
>> Other than that, the bread was fine. I'll make some real bread later
>> in the week and see how that turns out. There's nothing as delicious
>> as fresh-baked-bread.

> Amen! Salt affects the rising of yeast, too. It slows it down and allows
> more yeast flavor to develop. A second rising also helps to develop
> flavor. Salt also adds a LOT of flavor. Bread without salt is really
> insipid, so is pie crust.

Ahh you explained it much better than I
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I must have missed that.. sorry I didn't know you were making pizza
>>>

>> She didn't say a thing about pizza dough.

> Well... it doesn't really matter... we know now
> --

Actually, should have taken a clue when she mentioned pepperoni. But she
called it "bread dough" so...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 11:51*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Kajikit wrote:
>
> > And an hour later, it's definitely bread now! I gently punched it down
> > and folded it over and I'll leave it another half hour or so to
> > re-rise.

> > I'll have to look into buying yeast in a jar... those little sachets
> > are expensive if you're going to use them all the time! And if I'm
> > going to make actual bread for us to eat I'll need a bread pan. :P

> Uh-oh, you're getting hooked! *Do you have a meatloaf pan? *That will
> work. * Actually if you don't want square slices of bread for
> sandwiches,

I make sandwiches all the time on non-square slices of bread. I can't
remember the last time I bought a loaf-shaped loaf of bread.
Think outside the box (or outside the loaf pan).

One doesn't even have to make meatloaf in a pan (not that
I make meatloaf).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:17:47 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
>> stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
>> doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.

> Out of curiousity I looked at the dinners website and there was a link
> to somebody else who talks about coupons. Publix doubles coupons in
> the other states they're in - but not in Florida! Grrr... they also
> have a few other great deals everywhere else but here.

I'm sure the stores would love to stop the practice, but if all the
other stores are doing it, they can't afford not to. They'd have
to all get together and agree to it, and I imagine it's illegal or
just not going to happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I bet our prices are higher to pay
for the double coupon thing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Kajikit wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:17:47 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
>>> stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
>>> doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.

>> Out of curiousity I looked at the dinners website and there was a link
>> to somebody else who talks about coupons. Publix doubles coupons in
>> the other states they're in - but not in Florida! Grrr... they also
>> have a few other great deals everywhere else but here.

> I'm sure the stores would love to stop the practice, but if all the
> other stores are doing it, they can't afford not to. They'd have
> to all get together and agree to it, and I imagine it's illegal or
> just not going to happen.
>
> If it makes you feel any better, I bet our prices are higher to pay for
> the double coupon thing.
>
> nancy

I think most of the chains I visit double couples (up to either 75
or 99 cents) unless the coupon says do not double.

I also think prices are higher here - Boston - than elsewhere. I am
always shocked when I hear prices others pay. Meat prices especially
- which are ridiculous here.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>>> She didn't say a thing about pizza dough.

>> Well... it doesn't really matter... we know now
>> --
>>

> Actually, should have taken a clue when she mentioned pepperoni. But she
> called it "bread dough" so...

But then shouldn't the Subject line be, "I made a pizza!"? Or has that one
been tainted forever?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:17:47 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Kajikit" > wrote

>>> I got the recipe from a nice new cookbook '$5 dinners' that arrived
>>> in the library this week. I can't match her prices (she not only
>>> relies on coupons, but counts on stores doubling them and that's
>>> unheard of around here!)

>> I haven't seen a grocery store double coupons in years! So you're
>> not the only one who wonders when they stopped doing that. I still
>> clip coupons and shop sales. I just don't count on them counting
>> them twice.

> I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
> stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
> doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.
>
> nancy

my local grocery in md. routinely doubles up to a dollar and periodically
will issue coupons to double a buck.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:42:09 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Kajikit wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:17:47 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> I think it's dependent on local custom or whatever, all the
>>> stores double coupons around here. Last year one store started
>>> doubling coupons up to 99 cents, up from 50 cents.

>> Out of curiousity I looked at the dinners website and there was a link
>> to somebody else who talks about coupons. Publix doubles coupons in
>> the other states they're in - but not in Florida! Grrr... they also
>> have a few other great deals everywhere else but here.

> I'm sure the stores would love to stop the practice, but if all the
> other stores are doing it, they can't afford not to. They'd have
> to all get together and agree to it, and I imagine it's illegal or
> just not going to happen.
>
> If it makes you feel any better, I bet our prices are higher to pay
> for the double coupon thing.
>
> nancy

there is that.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:37:00 -0400, Tracy wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure the stores would love to stop the practice, but if all the
>> other stores are doing it, they can't afford not to. They'd have
>> to all get together and agree to it, and I imagine it's illegal or
>> just not going to happen.
>>
>> If it makes you feel any better, I bet our prices are higher to pay for
>> the double coupon thing.
>>
>> nancy

> I think most of the chains I visit double couples (up to either 75
> or 99 cents) unless the coupon says do not double.
>
> I also think prices are higher here - Boston - than elsewhere. I am
> always shocked when I hear prices others pay. Meat prices especially
> - which are ridiculous here.
>
> -Tracy

sing it, sister.

your pal in d.c.,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:27:00 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> She didn't say a thing about pizza dough.

>> Well... it doesn't really matter... we know now
>> --
>>

>Actually, should have taken a clue when she mentioned pepperoni. But she
>called it "bread dough" so...
>
>Jill

Bread... pizza... I figured they're much the same thing. The recipes
for 'bread' and 'pizza crust' were identical apart from suggested
seasonings (she said to put herbs and garlic and parmesan in the pizza
crust, and I forgot to add any of 'em.) A pizza's just bread squished
down flat. Actually mine was rolled up. And it came out yummy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:50:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Kajikit > wrote:
>>> The other day I made my bread ends into croutons, and I baked cheesy
>>> crackers. I've never made crackers before but they're dead simple and
>>> they were oh so good.

>> Excellent, Karen! Good on you!

>I wouldn't mind a recipe for cheesy crackers

I pretty much made it up as I went along. Best as I can remember,
here's what I did.

1 cup flour (the recipe I found online said to use whole-wheat but we
don't have any so I used regular white.)
1/2 stick melted butter
Generous sprinkles of onion and garlic powders
A little salt and pepper
A generous handful of grated parmesan
Enough milk to make the whole into a dough.

Mix all the above in a bowl and give it a bit of a knead. Then roll it
out as thin as you can and cut it into shapes (or punch out with a
cutter). I didn't bother with either. I took little 'walnuts' of dough
and squashed them flat on a greased tray. Top the crackers with more
cheese and bake at 400 until they're crunchy and as brown as you want
them to be. It made enough crackers to last us two days and they were
better on the second.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:27:00 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:

>>> Well... it doesn't really matter... we know now
>>> --
>>>

>>Actually, should have taken a clue when she mentioned pepperoni. But she
>>called it "bread dough" so...
>>
>>Jill

> Bread... pizza... I figured they're much the same thing. The recipes
> for 'bread' and 'pizza crust' were identical apart from suggested
> seasonings (she said to put herbs and garlic and parmesan in the pizza
> crust, and I forgot to add any of 'em.) A pizza's just bread squished
> down flat. Actually mine was rolled up. And it came out yummy.

Excellent))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:50:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Excellent, Karen! Good on you!

>>I wouldn't mind a recipe for cheesy crackers

> I pretty much made it up as I went along. Best as I can remember,
> here's what I did.
>
> 1 cup flour (the recipe I found online said to use whole-wheat but we
> don't have any so I used regular white.)
> 1/2 stick melted butter
> Generous sprinkles of onion and garlic powders
> A little salt and pepper
> A generous handful of grated parmesan
> Enough milk to make the whole into a dough.
>
> Mix all the above in a bowl and give it a bit of a knead. Then roll it
> out as thin as you can and cut it into shapes (or punch out with a
> cutter). I didn't bother with either. I took little 'walnuts' of dough
> and squashed them flat on a greased tray. Top the crackers with more
> cheese and bake at 400 until they're crunchy and as brown as you want
> them to be. It made enough crackers to last us two days and they were
> better on the second.

Thank you m'dear)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/