Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default foodies on special diets

> I'm not sure what the doctor is going to recommend for David on our
> next visit.

I think David would be a perfect candidate for the pump. It does work
well for type 1s who don't produce any insulin, but it also helps type
2s to cover for "eating mistakes" Since David is prone to "eating
mistakes" the pump will allow him to "cover"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> I'm just as frustrated with a husband who refuses to follow the diet he
>> needs. Cholestrol and salt issues and insists on getting hot dogs at the
>> local 7-eleven. DAILY. Grr.
>>
>> Wonder if they'd object if I took an uzzie over and wiped out the hot dog
>> cooker? ;-)

> Just clean up after yourself LOL.

Well, maybe ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, exactly. My doctor feels that almost all diabetics should have
> some amount of carbohydrates. A total lack of carbohydrates produces
> a state of ketosis, which can in many individuals be quite dangerous.

Actually, that's not true. Ketosis is not dangerous. Ketoacidosis can
be quite dangerous. It's caused by high BG in an absence of insulin.
Ketosis is just a state when you're burning fat instead of glucose.

If I found my endo didn't know the difference, I'd start looking
elsewhere for care. It's pretty basic.

PP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > Yes, exactly. My doctor feels that almost all diabetics should have
> > some amount of carbohydrates. A total lack of carbohydrates produces
> > a state of ketosis, which can in many individuals be quite dangerous.

> Actually, that's not true. Ketosis is not dangerous. Ketoacidosis can
> be quite dangerous. It's caused by high BG in an absence of insulin.
> Ketosis is just a state when you're burning fat instead of glucose.
>
> If I found my endo didn't know the difference, I'd start looking
> elsewhere for care. It's pretty basic.

I don't pretend to understand this very well, although I've had diabetic
ketoacidosis three times. When you have high BG in the absence of
insulin, that causes ketosis. Thus, ketosis can be a symptom of
ketoacidosis, and diabetics are advised to check urine ketone levels at
certain times. It's true that ketosis is not a problem for those who
are not diabetic, or diabetics whose diabetes is under control, but they
are sometimes related.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2010 9:32 AM, Alan S wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 04:52:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Yes, exactly. My doctor feels that almost all diabetics should have
>> some amount of carbohydrates. A total lack of carbohydrates produces
>> a state of ketosis, which can in many individuals be quite dangerous.

> A total lack of carbohydrates is also something which is darn near
> impossible to achieve in a western menu. Or even for an Inuit.
>
> Do you really mean ultra-low-carb, such as Bernstein, or low-carb such
> as Atkins or something else? There are too many loose definitions
> bandied around on the subject of carbs. especially by doctors and
> dieticians. There are also too many who misunderstand the nature and
> risks of ketosis under those circumstances.
>
> Incidentally, I neither follow extreme low carb regimens nor seek
> ketosis, I am just asking for some accuracy and clear definition when
> discussing such subjects.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d& e; metformin 1500mg

I've done much better with my T2 diabetes since I started taking
everything the doctors say with a grain of salt. I experimented with
different carbohydrates to see what I could safely eat without bouncing
my blood glucose levels too high. I can eat brown rice, whole wheat
pasta, a half a medium sized russet potato, and many multi-grain items
with some impunity. White rice, white breads, white anything tends to
raise my BG reading higher than I like.

Since I started this program my A1C readings are about 6 on the average.
That means my BG readings are consistently around 120.

I use Lantus, 42 to 45 units once daily at 0700, and I use Novolog, a
fast acting insulin before each meal, three to four units. So far so
good for the last four years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
>> Actually, that's not true. Ketosis is not dangerous. Ketoacidosis can
>> be quite dangerous. It's caused by high BG in an absence of insulin.
>> Ketosis is just a state when you're burning fat instead of glucose.

>> If I found my endo didn't know the difference, I'd start looking
>> elsewhere for care. It's pretty basic.

Confusing benign dietary ketosis (the result of a successful predator
diet) and ketoacidosis (the result of a runaway broken metabolism) is so
basic if a medical professional can't tell they basically aren't
qualified to judge the nutritional impact of a candy bar from a steak.
All advice on dietary carb levels from such a person can be wisely
ignored.

> I don't pretend to understand this very well, although I've had diabetic
> ketoacidosis three times. When you have high BG in the absence of
> insulin, that causes ketosis.

That causes runaway ketosis or ketoacidosis. Very different.

When you have stable BG in the absence of insulin and plentiful dietary
fat then the body burns fat for fuel using both of the fatty acid
pathways. The result is faster fat burning and ketones that are
controlled and never go above a limit. That's benign dietary ketosis.

> Thus, ketosis can be a symptom of
> ketoacidosis, and diabetics are advised to check urine ketone levels at
> certain times. It's true that ketosis is not a problem for those who
> are not diabetic, or diabetics whose diabetes is under control, but they
> are sometimes related.

With a diabetic the difference in the measurement is the timing. Benign
dietary ketosis starts low and stays limited. Ketoacidosis starts low
and keeps growing. Both have the "starts low" phase. Never be in the
"starts low" phase and you never get into ketoacidosis. Never be in the
"starts low" phase and you never get the doubled rate of fat loss.
Combine this with the low accuracy of the standard test strips and it
makes sense that diabetics want to avoid the potential for confusion by
avoiding both types.

The danger of ketoacidosis is determined by the extent of damage, right?
Once the damage has reached some point it's possible to go into
ketoacidosis with near zero dietary carbs. Anyone who has reached that
level of damage needs to avoid benign dietary ketosis. Anyone who has
not does not. They key is knowing when the damage has reached that
level. Once diagnosed diabetic better safe than dead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Have you tried the little round ones (I think they used to be "Baby
> Bels) that Laughing cow makes. They have a light one with red wax on it.
> These keep so well that we take them with us on airplanes as a snack or
> even on car trips.

Baby Bells are my favorite from Laughing Cow brand. They make portions
very easy to measure and are as delicious as the bigger packages.