Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

Jeßus wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:20:12 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:
>

> >My some-years-old Black N Decker drip coffeemaker sprang a leak while
> >I was vinegaring it out yesterday, thus destroying the delicate
> >ecosystem of my countertop. I'm considering replacing it with an
> >electric percolator. I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> >as Sears.
> >
> >What made me think of this was last weekend, when at my girlfriend's
> >aunt's cabin, she made us all coffee in an oldish electric
> >percolator. She used just regular unspecial Folgers ground coffee and
> >it was the most lovely cup I'd had in quite some time. Bold tasting,
> >well bodied, had some octane to it but wasn't too strong or acidic
> >tasting*.
> >
> >Anyone here use one of these?

> Unlikely... I've not heard of anyone wanting to use a percolator for
> years. They 'overcook' the coffee, producing a foul, bitter hot
> liquid. But then, you say you *like* that flavour, so each to their
> own!

I use a percolator just to heat the water, then i put the coffee
directly in the hot watrer (no percolator basket) and let it sit for 2
- 5 minutes off the heat.

Produces an excellant cup of coffee. And after about 5 minutes all the
grounds have sunk to the bottom and i decant into a glass coffee pot.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 12:22*pm, JL > wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:20:12 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> > *wrote:

> > >My some-years-old Black N Decker drip coffeemaker sprang a leak while
> > >I was vinegaring it out yesterday, thus destroying the delicate
> > >ecosystem of my countertop. *I'm considering replacing it with an
> > >electric percolator. *I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> > >as Sears.

> > >What made me think of this was last weekend, when at my girlfriend's
> > >aunt's cabin, she made us all coffee in an oldish electric
> > >percolator. *She used just regular unspecial Folgers ground coffee and
> > >it was the most lovely cup I'd had in quite some time. *Bold tasting,
> > >well bodied, had some octane to it but wasn't too strong or acidic
> > >tasting*.

> > >Anyone here use one of these?

> > Unlikely... I've not heard of anyone wanting to use a percolator for
> > years. They 'overcook' the coffee, producing a foul, bitter hot
> > liquid. But then, you say you *like* that flavour, so each to their
> > own!

> I use a percolator just to heat the water, then i put the coffee
> directly in the hot watrer (no percolator basket) *and let it sit for 2
> - 5 minutes off the heat.
>
> Produces an excellant cup of coffee. *And after about 5 minutes all the
> grounds have sunk to the bottom and i decant into a glass coffee pot.
> --

All you need is the cowboy coffee setup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 6:09*am, dsi1 > wrote:

> Percolators have fallen out of fashion but foul, bitter, coffee is all
> the rage. Why worry about boiling the coffee when the beans are
> typically getting all burnt to hell during roasting? The truth is that
> if the brew you get out of your coffeemaker is bitter, not smooth, it's
> because of the roast, not because of overcooking.

It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
it taste shitty.

> I have a Corning cornflour percolator that works just dandy. I use it
> occasionally because it's a neat way to make a cup of Joe. The drip
> maker that I use most mornings is fast but the process holds little
> fascination.

Be careful. The older Cornflower percolators are subject to recall.
http://www.corellecorner.com/company...1976-1979.html

They are very pretty, but ALL percolators make shitty coffee.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob > wrote:
>dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>> Percolators have fallen out of fashion but foul, bitter, coffee is all
>> the rage. Why worry about boiling the coffee when the beans are
>> typically getting all burnt to hell during roasting? The truth is that
>> if the brew you get out of your coffeemaker is bitter, not smooth, it's
>> because of the roast, not because of overcooking.

>It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
>it taste shitty.

And naturally among all your other great accomplishments you're rfc's
professional anus sucker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2010 12:17 PM, Food Snob® wrote:
> On Aug 17, 6:09 am, > wrote:
>>

>> Percolators have fallen out of fashion but foul, bitter, coffee is all
>> the rage. Why worry about boiling the coffee when the beans are
>> typically getting all burnt to hell during roasting? The truth is that
>> if the brew you get out of your coffeemaker is bitter, not smooth, it's
>> because of the roast, not because of overcooking.

> It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
> it taste shitty.

You might say that bitter, burnt coffee tastes shitty but I'll bet that
you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
"tasty." Sort of irrational behavior, don't you think?

>> I have a Corning cornflour percolator that works just dandy. I use it
>> occasionally because it's a neat way to make a cup of Joe. The drip
>> maker that I use most mornings is fast but the process holds little
>> fascination.
>>

> Be careful. The older Cornflower percolators are subject to recall.
> http://www.corellecorner.com/company...1976-1979.html
>
> They are very pretty, but ALL percolators make shitty coffee.

Shitty and dangerous! :-)

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-18, dsi1 > wrote:

> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
> "tasty."

At gunpoint, perhaps.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2010 2:29 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2010-08-18, > wrote:
>
>> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
>> "tasty."

> At gunpoint, perhaps.
>
> nb

You obviously have no aspirations to be a coffee-achiever or hang out
with cool and hip drinkers of Seattle's famous bitter cup. What's wrong
with you?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 7:24*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 8/17/2010 12:17 PM, Food Snob® wrote:
>
> > On Aug 17, 6:09 am, > *wrote:

> >> Percolators have fallen out of fashion but foul, bitter, coffee is all
> >> the rage. Why worry about boiling the coffee when the beans are
> >> typically getting all burnt to hell during roasting? The truth is that
> >> if the brew you get out of your coffeemaker is bitter, not smooth, it's
> >> because of the roast, not because of overcooking.

> > It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." *It's that it makes
> > it taste shitty.

> You might say that bitter, burnt coffee tastes shitty but I'll bet that
> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
> "tasty." Sort of irrational behavior, don't you think?

I don't buy darker roasts, and I haven't bought coffee at a Starbucks
in many years. I'm cheap. I buy SuperValu's Sumatra, and brew it
with a Mr. Coffee at home, a Cuisinart drip maker at work. I only use
a French press when camping. Anyway, overly roasted beans are not the
same as overcooked liquid coffee.

> > --Bryan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 7:29*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2010-08-18, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
> > "tasty."

> At gunpoint, perhaps. *

It's not the Starbucks' coffee. It's the $5 pricetag. Yes, Starbucks
tends to roast coffee more than I prefer, but they're not deserving of
the kind of disdain they get.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2010 7:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/17/2010 12:17 PM, Food Snob® wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 6:09 am, > wrote:
>>>

>>> Percolators have fallen out of fashion but foul, bitter, coffee is all
>>> the rage. Why worry about boiling the coffee when the beans are
>>> typically getting all burnt to hell during roasting? The truth is that
>>> if the brew you get out of your coffeemaker is bitter, not smooth, it's
>>> because of the roast, not because of overcooking.

>> It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
>> it taste shitty.

> You might say that bitter, burnt coffee tastes shitty but I'll bet that
> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
> "tasty." Sort of irrational behavior, don't you think?
>

>>> I have a Corning cornflour percolator that works just dandy. I use it
>>> occasionally because it's a neat way to make a cup of Joe. The drip
>>> maker that I use most mornings is fast but the process holds little
>>> fascination.
>>>

>> Be careful. The older Cornflower percolators are subject to recall.
>> http://www.corellecorner.com/company...1976-1979.html
>>

>> They are very pretty, but ALL percolators make shitty coffee.

> Shitty and dangerous! :-)
>

>> --Bryan

My 30 cup aluminum percolator makes very good coffee, but only if you
make at least 20 cups (otherwise it stops perking too soon.) I never
scrub it; the oxidation and hard water stains and coffee stains all
contribute to passivating the aluminum so it doesn't react with the
coffee. Someday I should try making 10 cups, but putting ice in it to
see if that helps.

Those old Corningware percolators did make good coffee as long as you
didn't try to rush them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2010 3:07 PM, Food Snob® wrote:
> On Aug 17, 7:24 pm, > wrote:

>>> It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
>>> it taste shitty.

>> You might say that bitter, burnt coffee tastes shitty but I'll bet that
>> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
>> "tasty." Sort of irrational behavior, don't you think?
>>

> I don't buy darker roasts, and I haven't bought coffee at a Starbucks
> in many years. I'm cheap. I buy SuperValu's Sumatra, and brew it
> with a Mr. Coffee at home, a Cuisinart drip maker at work. I only use
> a French press when camping. Anyway, overly roasted beans are not the
> same as overcooked liquid coffee.
>>
>>> --Bryan

> --Bryan

Most bad coffee is due to burnt beans and letting it sit too long - not
the brewing method. That's just my awesome opinion.

Overly roasted beans are not the same as overcooked liquid coffee - if
you burn your beans, there's not a chance in hell you'll be able to get
anything but a burnt cup of coffee. I'll take a percolator and properly
roasted coffee any day over burnt beans. Just don't let the damn coffee
sit too long!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2010 3:14 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 8/17/2010 7:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's not that the overcooking makes it "bitter." It's that it makes
>>> it taste shitty.

>> You might say that bitter, burnt coffee tastes shitty but I'll bet that
>> you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
>> "tasty." Sort of irrational behavior, don't you think?

>>> Be careful. The older Cornflower percolators are subject to recall.
>>> http://www.corellecorner.com/company...1976-1979.html
>>>

>>> They are very pretty, but ALL percolators make shitty coffee.

>> Shitty and dangerous! :-)
>>

>>> --Bryan

> My 30 cup aluminum percolator makes very good coffee, but only if you
> make at least 20 cups (otherwise it stops perking too soon.) I never
> scrub it; the oxidation and hard water stains and coffee stains all
> contribute to passivating the aluminum so it doesn't react with the
> coffee. Someday I should try making 10 cups, but putting ice in it to
> see if that helps.

That's hard core coffee making. Sounds like you run a homeless shelter. :-)

> Those old Corningware percolators did make good coffee as long as you
> didn't try to rush them.

You don't ever want to rush the Corningware or else it may get mad at
you and explode or dump hot coffee on your shoes. Those things are
dangerous! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 6:11*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Aug 17, 7:29*pm, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2010-08-18, dsi1 > wrote:

> > > you'd smack your lips at a $5 cup of Starbucks and proclaim it to be
> > > "tasty."

> > At gunpoint, perhaps. *

> It's not the Starbucks' coffee. *It's the $5 pricetag. *Yes, Starbucks
> tends to roast coffee more than I prefer, but they're not deserving of
> the kind of disdain they get.

I've never seen even a $5 espresso-based drink at *$.

Their 16 oz drip costs just pennies more than the same size McCoffee.