Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Ethical eaters"

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> That's been my experience as well. Vegetarians seem more live and
> let live, it is the vegans who are militant.

Precisely! What is it with these people? I don't waltz into someones space
and proclaim 'I eat meat!' Only yesterday we met someone for the first time
and the first thing he told us was that he is vegan! But said he, 'I still
talk to people who wear leather shoes!' He must have mentioned being a
vegan at least half a dozen times in the 30-40 mins we were talking to him.
As we were leaving he asked if we wanted to know where the vegan restaurant
was....

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:20:54 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Aug 12, 10:46*am, blake murphy > wrote:

>> do you really encounter that many vegetarians who shake their finger in
>> your face? *on the other hand, do you berate people who smoke?
>>
>> hmm. *maybe:
>>
>> well, you'd be out of luck here......sorry, no smoking in
>> restaurants.....mine went smoke free long before it became the trend
>> and then the law.....
>>
>> I know smokers feel discriminated against but *since smokers only make
>> up about 19% of the population around here
>> the majority rules.
>>
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/...>

>>> Oh my God....you are correct!!!! * We are killing the planet with out
>>> consumption. * We should all just kill ourselves right away!!! * *;-)

>> if you come on like that to vegetarians, i don't blame them for shaking a
>> finger at you.
>>
>> blake- Hide quoted text -

> Actually, no I don't berate people for smoking. I'm an ex smoker
> myself. My restaurant went smoke free before it became a law because
> the vast majority of my patrons wanted it that way.

o.k., then. my apologies.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 13, 1:35*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in ...
>
> > * That's been my experience as well. *Vegetarians seem more live and
> > let live, it is the vegans who are militant.

> Precisely! *What is it with these people? *I don't waltz into someones space
> and proclaim 'I eat meat!' *Only yesterday we met someone for the first time
> and the first thing he told us was that he is vegan! But said he, 'I still
> talk to people who wear leather shoes!' *He must have mentioned being a
> vegan at least half a dozen times in the 30-40 mins we were talking to him.
> As we were leaving he asked if we wanted to know where the vegan restaurant
> was....
>
> --
> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

It's a cause, an agenda, and an identification. Who would he be
were he not vegan? Sounds like he would be lost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 13, 1:38*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

ok., then. my apologies.

-------------------

no prob . After I read that post again I noticed it did sound a
little prickish.... ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> She found that out 2 years ago. I felt bad about it but fact is she made
>> others feel so bad it was her or the majority of thr neighborhood.
>> Probably
>> the kickpoint was when a retired widower on a fixed income brought a
>> really
>> great franks and beans then she dissed it over being not 5$ a lb franks
>> or
>> imported honey for the beans.

>> off. I just look back and see Charlotte's face fall as her franks and
>> beans
>> got dissed by 'the bitch'. We kicked the bitch out but I am not sure
>> Charotte really absorbed we ate her pot offereing to the dregs before
>> that.
>>
>> She has a fine art with simple things. It was chicken franks, a mix of
>> dried beans, Honey and bell peppers. Balanced to perfection. Difficult
>> as
>> it *may* sound to make that work, it was the fastest thing to get
>> seconds,
>> 3rds and was all gone faster than the steaks.

> This blows my mind. Why couldn't she just not eat it? Why did she
> have to make this lady feel bad about it? Didn't her mother teach her
> to respect her elders and show them deference?

This person had no cooth at all as best as we can tell. She wanted to be
'the queen of the day' and 'her offering' had to take 'top prize'.

LOL, I can laugh because she didn't cook anything and this was mostly a
cooking event. She'd bring 45$ a lb cheeses with the prices still on them
(and not enough for all) and 'sniff' at folks who just brought fresh corn
still in husk but soaked and grilled onsite (enough for leftovers).

BTW, the Charlotte above with the fine cooking hand isn't my daughter. Just
happens to have the same name.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Though I despise tobacco, I think it should be up to the business to decide smoking or non, not a politician acting there's a bunch of undisputed correlational research on second hand smoke. I just hate the smell and avoid places where there is smoke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:
>In article
>,
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 13, 1:35*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> > "Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in
>> > messagenews:arabianknits-B86FEA.12161112082010@reserved-multicast-range-NOT-
>> > delegated.example.com...

>> > Precisely! *What is it with these people? *I don't waltz into someones
>> > space
>> > and proclaim 'I eat meat!' *Only yesterday we met someone for the first
>> > time
>> > and the first thing he told us was that he is vegan! But said he, 'I still
>> > talk to people who wear leather shoes!' *He must have mentioned being a
>> > vegan at least half a dozen times in the 30-40 mins we were talking to him.
>> > As we were leaving he asked if we wanted to know where the vegan restaurant
>> > was....

>> It's a cause, an agenda, and an identification. Who would he be
>> were he not vegan? Sounds like he would be lost.

Orthorexia!

> I'm sure there are good vegan restaurants out there. Or, at least,
>I'm willing to believe there might be. However my only experiences with
>them includes just awful food, people who need better hygiene practices
>and who are all too serious about their cause to enjoy anything. I've
>eaten delicious kosher, halal, vegetarian and Christian abstinent meals.
>I have eaten delicious vegan meals in my own home, which just happened
>to be vegan, but weren't designed that way or made out from any
>ideological basis.

We have a couple of them locally. One is run by Chinese Buddhists.
Normally I would think a place with no meat, no dairy, no onions, and no
garlic to be No Fun but their food is delicious. I used to go there a
lot with the BFFs, one of whom was raised vegetarian and the other of whom
is allergic to onions.

But, yeah, until demonstrated otherwise I would suspect that ideology
would trump taste. It's sad when you consider what a wealth of cuisine
could be explored. I mean, even making a good tasty bean chili would
probably make people beat a path to your door.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I make a lentil chili (which just so happens to be vegan) from Mollie
> Katzen that is pretty darned good. I turn it into a not-vegan dish by
> adding grated cheese to the top, but it is very good even without
> that.
> http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...e=lentil_chili

Today we had a taste of fall here, and this recipe looks really good.
If I don't make it this weekend, I'll sure make it this winter. Thanks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good vegetarian cookbooks

Ranee wrote:

> I usually don't care for vegetarian cookbooks. They tend to be more
> about an ideology than about good food. I like vegetarian cookbooks
> written by omnivores much better.

Okay, let me start a list of vegetarian cookbooks which I consider good:

The Moosewood Cookbook
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
The Vegetarian Epicure, Volumes I & II
World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
The Tassajara Cookbook
Classic Indian Vegetarian Cooking
The Bold Vegetarian

That last one is a bit hard to use for me: Although the recipes are
interesting and tasty, I have a hard time figuring out what to have *with*
them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gorio > wrote:

> Though I despise tobacco, I think it should be up to the business to
> decide smoking or non, not a politician acting there's a bunch of
> undisputed correlational research on second hand smoke. I just hate the
> smell and avoid places where there is smoke.

Which is great unless you're either allergic or very sensitive to it (as
I am) and there are NO places around where you can go and get a quiet
drink in a smoke-free environment.

NZ went smoke-free in bars, pubs and restaurants a couple of years ago
and businesses reported that their takings went UP, not down, because of
people like me actually being able to go there without coughing their
lungs up.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Ranee wrote:
>
> > I usually don't care for vegetarian cookbooks. They tend to be more
> > about an ideology than about good food. I like vegetarian cookbooks
> > written by omnivores much better.

> Okay, let me start a list of vegetarian cookbooks which I consider good:
>
> The Moosewood Cookbook
> The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
> The Vegetarian Epicure, Volumes I & II
> World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
> The Tassajara Cookbook
> Classic Indian Vegetarian Cooking
> The Bold Vegetarian
>
> That last one is a bit hard to use for me: Although the recipes are
> interesting and tasty, I have a hard time figuring out what to have *with*
> them.

The Vegetarian Adventure Cookbook by Rowan Bishop, although I recognise
that may be specific to New Zealand.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Add The New Vegetarian Epicure to that as well. Plus her newest book
> called Love Soup.

I'm not as big a fan of the New Vegetarian Epicure, for some reason. I
*will* give it props for being the book which taught me how to make crispy
kale, though.

> You are leaving off some other fantastic books. Anything by Deborah
> Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. And Vegetarian Cooking for
> Everyone. That one won the James Beard award.,

Yeah, I just forgot about her. It happens. :-)

> Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I have ever made from the Greens
> cookbook has been splendid. Also her next book, which is called The
> Savory Way.

A standout recipe from the Greens cookbook is white winter vegetables baked
in cream. It gets rave reviews every single time.

> She also has some great newer ones, of which Vegetarian Suppers is one
> of my favorites. And her book on tofu, called This Can't be Tofu!.
> Her recipes are extremely flavorful.

I like _Local Flavors_, and have gotten a few good recipes from there.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> That last one is a bit hard to use for me: Although the recipes are
>> interesting and tasty, I have a hard time figuring out what to have
>> *with* them.

> One of the things I discovered with vegetarian foods, is that you
> don't treat it like a meal with meat. One doesn't always have a
> centerpiece "dish". I just compose meals with flavors that go well
> together, and then put it out all together... They are all equally
> important then....
> At least this is my experience of good vegetarian foods and cooking
> meatless meals. One just treats them all as centerpiece dishes..

I wasn't talking about the notion of a "centerpiece" meal. Many of the
recipes have such unusual flavor combinations that it's hard to figure out
what other flavors would not clash alongside. It's particularly difficult if
you're trying to avoid "filler" starches.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> Many of the recipes have such unusual flavor combinations that it's hard
>> to figure out what other flavors would not clash alongside. It's
>> particularly difficult if you're trying to avoid "filler" starches.

> And here I thought you were supposedly good at flavor combinations.
> Just think outside the box a bit...You can do it..
>
> I don't seem to have problems in combining flavors especially in
> vegetarian dishes. It is a type of cuisine that feels natural to me,
> even though I am an omnivore.

Yeah, YOU get that book and look through it. I bet you'll have the same
problems I do with that.

I used to cook vegetarian a lot, and I'm quite comfortable with meatless
meals. It's just the recipes in that cookbook which I find hard to match.

For example: One of the recipes is for cole slaw with pears and red bell
pepper, garnished with toasted cumin seeds, toasted sesame seeds,
honey-glazed pecans, and cilantro. The dressing is made of pureed cooked
banana, lime juice, sesame seeds, buttermilk, and black mustard seeds which
are cooked in canola oil until they pop.

If you were making a vegetarian dinner, what would you serve with that? (And
that's one of the EASIER things to match!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Christine wrote:
>
>>> Many of the recipes have such unusual flavor combinations that it's hard
>>> to figure out what other flavors would not clash alongside. It's
>>> particularly difficult if you're trying to avoid "filler" starches.

>> And here I thought you were supposedly good at flavor combinations.
>> Just think outside the box a bit...You can do it..
>>
>> I don't seem to have problems in combining flavors especially in
>> vegetarian dishes. It is a type of cuisine that feels natural to me,
>> even though I am an omnivore.

> Yeah, YOU get that book and look through it. I bet you'll have the same
> problems I do with that.
>
> I used to cook vegetarian a lot, and I'm quite comfortable with meatless
> meals. It's just the recipes in that cookbook which I find hard to match.
>
> For example: One of the recipes is for cole slaw with pears and red bell
> pepper, garnished with toasted cumin seeds, toasted sesame seeds,
> honey-glazed pecans, and cilantro. The dressing is made of pureed cooked
> banana, lime juice, sesame seeds, buttermilk, and black mustard seeds
> which
> are cooked in canola oil until they pop.
>
> If you were making a vegetarian dinner, what would you serve with that?
> (And
> that's one of the EASIER things to match!)
>
> Bob

Perhaps a decent riesling, or pinot grigio.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:39:12 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:

> You are leaving off some other fantastic books. Anything by Deborah
> Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. And Vegetarian Cooking for
> Everyone. That one won the James Beard award.,

The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Yumani Devi, is another good one -
Beard award, IIRC. But it won't fit Renee's "Not about an ideology"
criteria, for sure (there's no garlic, for example). It's the only
Vegetarian cookbook I own.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 14, 1:39 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> You are leaving off some other fantastic books. Anything by Deborah
> Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. And Vegetarian Cooking for
> Everyone. That one won the James Beard award.,
>
> Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I have ever made from the Greens
> cookbook has been splendid. Also her next book, which is called The
> Savory Way.

Well-written recipes for great tasting food abound in "Fields of
Greens" by Annie Somerville, executive chef at Greens restaurant.
Published 1993. Friends forced me, protesting, to Greens back in the
90s and I was an instant convert. Not to vegetarianism, but to their
good food. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Good vegetarian cookbooks...was "Ethical eaters"

On Aug 14, 8:16*am, aem > wrote:
> On Aug 14, 1:39 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > *....
> > You are leaving off some other fantastic books. *Anything by Deborah
> > Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. *And Vegetarian Cooking for
> > Everyone. *That one won the James Beard award.,

> > Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I have ever made from the Greens
> > cookbook has been splendid. *Also her next book, which is called The
> > Savory Way.

> Well-written recipes for great tasting food abound in "Fields of
> Greens" by Annie Somerville, executive chef at Greens restaurant.
> Published 1993. *Friends forced me, protesting, to Greens back in the
> 90s and I was an instant convert. *Not to vegetarianism, but to their
> good food. * * -aem

I LOVE the Greens cookbook. My favorite recipes from it include the
Brown Rice Casserole.
That is still one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I love the Moosewood cookbooks too....I have a lot of them. The old
original books used a lot of
cheese and dairy, which is ok, but the newer recipes are wonderful
too.

As for a 'center of the plate' vegetarian meal, there are lots of
stuffed vegetable dishes and casserole dishes which serve that purpose
very well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Gorio > wrote:
>
>> Though I despise tobacco, I think it should be up to the business to
>> decide smoking or non, not a politician acting there's a bunch of
>> undisputed correlational research on second hand smoke. I just hate the
>> smell and avoid places where there is smoke.

> Which is great unless you're either allergic or very sensitive to it (as
> I am) and there are NO places around where you can go and get a quiet
> drink in a smoke-free environment.
>
> NZ went smoke-free in bars, pubs and restaurants a couple of years ago
> and businesses reported that their takings went UP, not down, because of
> people like me actually being able to go there without coughing their
> lungs up.
>
> Miche

I can't tolerate smokers, even a guy smoking a cigar on the next fairway due
to a nine hour heart surgery. I can't stand going in to anywhere there's
smoking because I have to wash all the clothing I wear in there. I hate
standing anywhere close to a person who smokes.

The sad part is that they have absolutely no clue that they are so smelly,
or just don't care. Like animals who roll in dead carcasses for the scent,
then come up to you like "Hey, you like this new cologne fragrance?"

They would eat baby shit out of a diaper with a plastic spoon.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:14:59 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:39:12 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> You are leaving off some other fantastic books. Anything by Deborah
>> Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. And Vegetarian Cooking for
>> Everyone. That one won the James Beard award.,

> The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Yumani Devi, is another good one -
> Beard award, IIRC. But it won't fit Renee's "Not about an ideology"
> criteria, for sure (there's no garlic, for example). It's the only
> Vegetarian cookbook I own.
>
> -sw

no garlic? because it angries up the blood, or what?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:19:32 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:14:59 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:39:12 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>>> You are leaving off some other fantastic books. Anything by Deborah
>>> Madison, especially the Greens Cookbook. And Vegetarian Cooking for
>>> Everyone. That one won the James Beard award.,

>> The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Yumani Devi, is another good one -
>> Beard award, IIRC. But it won't fit Renee's "Not about an ideology"
>> criteria, for sure (there's no garlic, for example). It's the only
>> Vegetarian cookbook I own.

> no garlic? because it angries up the blood, or what?

They (garlic and onions) increase passion and ignorance. Garlic agitates
the nervous system and disturbs meditation. And of course, "reactions of
repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements,
and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and
aggressiveness".

http://connect.krishna.com/node/612

I can't imagine cooking without garlic and onions. I think onion is
probably the single most important vegetable in cooking.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 14, 9:34*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > no garlic? *because it angries up the blood, or what?

> They (garlic and onions) increase passion and ignorance. *Garlic agitates
> the nervous system and disturbs meditation. *And of course, "reactions of
> repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements,
> and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and
> aggressiveness".
>
> http://connect.krishna.com/node/612
>
> I can't imagine cooking without garlic and onions. *I think onion is
> probably the single most important vegetable in cooking.

You don't have to leave out the onions and garlic to be vegetarian.
There are those who adhere to those beliefs, but I don't. I agree,
onions and garlic are some of the most important ingredients in
flavorful dishes. Besides I quite like 'lewd indulgences"......;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Okay, let me start a list of vegetarian cookbooks which I consider good:

>The Moosewood Cookbook
>The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
>The Vegetarian Epicure, Volumes I & II
>World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
>The Tassajara Cookbook
>Classic Indian Vegetarian Cooking
>The Bold Vegetarian

I like "Laurel's Kitchen".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
>>Okay, let me start a list of vegetarian cookbooks which I consider good:

>>The Moosewood Cookbook
>>The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
>>The Vegetarian Epicure, Volumes I & II
>>World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
>>The Tassajara Cookbook
>>Classic Indian Vegetarian Cooking
>>The Bold Vegetarian

> I like "Laurel's Kitchen".
>

> Steve

I thoroughly enjoyed her TV series and just now getting in to Christina
Pirello's books.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:39:11 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Aug 14, 9:34*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>> no garlic? *because it angries up the blood, or what?

>> They (garlic and onions) increase passion and ignorance. *Garlic agitates
>> the nervous system and disturbs meditation. *And of course, "reactions of
>> repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements,
>> and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and
>> aggressiveness".
>>
>> http://connect.krishna.com/node/612
>>
>> I can't imagine cooking without garlic and onions. *I think onion is
>> probably the single most important vegetable in cooking.

> You don't have to leave out the onions and garlic to be vegetarian.

Thank you, Mrs. Obvious.

Those are mostly religious and social beliefs. They have nothing to do
with veganism.

-sw

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:52:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I wouldn't try to match it with anything complicated. Maybe something
> grilled, like very simply grilled veggies. Or grilled tofu...

What's wrong with a piece of fish?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I wouldn't try to match it with anything complicated. Maybe something
>> grilled, like very simply grilled veggies. Or grilled tofu...

> What's wrong with a piece of fish?

Because of what you snipped:

"If you were making a vegetarian dinner, what would you serve with that?"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:10:34 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:08:21 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:52:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I wouldn't try to match it with anything complicated. Maybe something
> >> grilled, like very simply grilled veggies. Or grilled tofu...

> >What's wrong with a piece of fish?

> We are talking about vegetarian foods and meals, that's why.

A lot of vegetarians eat fish.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:28:58 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:25:59 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> .
> >A lot of vegetarians eat fish.

> Then they are not totally vegetarian. We were not talking about
> vegetarians who eat meat, fish or poultry. I think they are known as
> flexitarians.. Really.
>
> We were talking about vegetarians who are truly vegetarian.

Vegans?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:35:23 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>Vegans?

>No. Use your noggin.. Seriously, you aren't just playing dumb are
>you?

>No meat, poultry or fish.

>Vegans don't use dairy, or any animal products whatsoever, whereas a
>lot of vegetarians use eggs, cheese, and dairy products and are still
>considered vegetarian. They are known as ovo-lacto vegetarians.

There are significant numbers of pesco-vegetarianism, and more than
a few of them self-identify as "vegetarian". Whether this is inconsistent
terminology, who knows, but it's out there.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:35:03 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>"Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Gorio > wrote:
>>
>>> Though I despise tobacco, I think it should be up to the business to
>>> decide smoking or non, not a politician acting there's a bunch of
>>> undisputed correlational research on second hand smoke. I just hate the
>>> smell and avoid places where there is smoke.

>> Which is great unless you're either allergic or very sensitive to it (as
>> I am) and there are NO places around where you can go and get a quiet
>> drink in a smoke-free environment.
>>
>> NZ went smoke-free in bars, pubs and restaurants a couple of years ago
>> and businesses reported that their takings went UP, not down, because of
>> people like me actually being able to go there without coughing their
>> lungs up.
>>
>> Miche

>I can't tolerate smokers, even a guy smoking a cigar on the next fairway due
>to a nine hour heart surgery.

Are you always this whinny? Didn't you say you were leaving?

>I can't stand going in to anywhere there's
>smoking because I have to wash all the clothing I wear in there.

And just where can you go anymore that allows smoking?

>I hate standing anywhere close to a person who smokes.

They probably don't want to be around you either.

>The sad part is that they have absolutely no clue that they are so smelly,
>or just don't care.

What they don't care about is your ****ing and moaning. If I go
outside to enjoy a cigarette I don't smell any worse than some swine
who over did the cheap cologne to cover up the fact that they haven't
showered in days.

>Like animals who roll in dead carcasses for the scent,
>then come up to you like "Hey, you like this new cologne fragrance?"
>
>They would eat baby shit out of a diaper with a plastic spoon.

You are a nut-job.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:35:03 -0700, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Miche" > wrote in message

>>> Which is great unless you're either allergic or very sensitive to it (as
>>> I am) and there are NO places around where you can go and get a quiet
>>> drink in a smoke-free environment.
>>>
>>> NZ went smoke-free in bars, pubs and restaurants a couple of years ago
>>> and businesses reported that their takings went UP, not down, because of
>>> people like me actually being able to go there without coughing their
>>> lungs up.
>>>
>>> Miche

>>I can't tolerate smokers, even a guy smoking a cigar on the next fairway
>>due
>>to a nine hour heart surgery.

> Are you always this whinny? Didn't you say you were leaving?
>
>>I can't stand going in to anywhere there's
>>smoking because I have to wash all the clothing I wear in there.

> And just where can you go anymore that allows smoking?
>
>>I hate standing anywhere close to a person who smokes.

> They probably don't want to be around you either.
>
>>The sad part is that they have absolutely no clue that they are so smelly,
>>or just don't care.

> What they don't care about is your ****ing and moaning. If I go
> outside to enjoy a cigarette I don't smell any worse than some swine
> who over did the cheap cologne to cover up the fact that they haven't
> showered in days.
>
>>Like animals who roll in dead carcasses for the scent,
>>then come up to you like "Hey, you like this new cologne fragrance?"
>>
>>They would eat baby shit out of a diaper with a plastic spoon.

> You are a nut-job.
>
> Lou

Let me guess. You're a smoker. You despise yourself. I hit a nerve.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:49:51 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:35:23 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:28:58 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:25:59 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >>
> >> .
> >>
> >> Then they are not totally vegetarian. We were not talking about
> >> vegetarians who eat meat, fish or poultry. I think they are known as
> >> flexitarians.. Really.
> >>
> >> We were talking about vegetarians who are truly vegetarian.
> >>

> >Vegans?

> No. Use your noggin.. Seriously, you aren't just playing dumb are
> you?
>
> No meat, poultry or fish.
>
> Vegans don't use dairy, or any animal products whatsoever, whereas a
> lot of vegetarians use eggs, cheese, and dairy products and are still
> considered vegetarian. They are known as ovo-lacto vegetarians.

<shrug> People eat what they want to eat and call themselves
vegetarians. I am not one of them, nor do I play one on TV.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:35:23 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:28:58 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:25:59 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> Then they are not totally vegetarian. We were not talking about
>>> vegetarians who eat meat, fish or poultry. I think they are known as
>>> flexitarians.. Really.
>>>
>>> We were talking about vegetarians who are truly vegetarian.
>>>

>>Vegans?

> No. Use your noggin.. Seriously, you aren't just playing dumb are
> you?
>
> No meat, poultry or fish.
>
> Vegans don't use dairy, or any animal products whatsoever, whereas a
> lot of vegetarians use eggs, cheese, and dairy products and are still
> considered vegetarian. They are known as ovo-lacto vegetarians.

Or cranks!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:35:23 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Vegans?

>> No. Use your noggin.. Seriously, you aren't just playing dumb are
>> you?
>>
>> No meat, poultry or fish.
>>
>> Vegans don't use dairy, or any animal products whatsoever, whereas a
>> lot of vegetarians use eggs, cheese, and dairy products and are still
>> considered vegetarian. They are known as ovo-lacto vegetarians.
>>

> Or cranks!

LOL I used to have a 'Cranks' cookbook and it was very good
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> A lot of vegetarians eat fish.

No, a lot of fish-eaters lie and call themselves vegetarians.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>> A lot of vegetarians eat fish.

> No, a lot of fish-eaters lie and call themselves vegetarians.

I don't get the difficulty with that concept, so many people
say they're vegetarians ... but they eat chicken or fish.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:17:51 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Aug 13, 1:38*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>
> ok., then. my apologies.
>
> -------------------
>
> no prob . After I read that post again I noticed it did sound a
> little prickish.... ;-)

you'd have to go a long way to beat the real pricks here.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:14:13 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:35:03 -0700, "Steve B"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>The sad part is that they have absolutely no clue that they are so smelly,
>>>or just don't care.

>> What they don't care about is your ****ing and moaning. If I go
>> outside to enjoy a cigarette I don't smell any worse than some swine
>> who over did the cheap cologne to cover up the fact that they haven't
>> showered in days.
>>
>>>Like animals who roll in dead carcasses for the scent,
>>>then come up to you like "Hey, you like this new cologne fragrance?"
>>>
>>>They would eat baby shit out of a diaper with a plastic spoon.

>> You are a nut-job.
>>
>> Lou

> Let me guess. You're a smoker. You despise yourself. I hit a nerve.
>
> Steve

well, i smoke, and i don't despise myself. people like you, on the other
hand...

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:14:13 -0700, Steve B wrote:
>
> > "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:35:03 -0700, "Steve B"

> >> What they don't care about is your ****ing and moaning. If I go
> >> outside to enjoy a cigarette I don't smell any worse than some swine
> >> who over did the cheap cologne to cover up the fact that they haven't
> >> showered in days.

> >> You are a nut-job.

Just noticed?

:-)

> > Let me guess. You're a smoker. You despise yourself. I hit a nerve.

> well, i smoke, and i don't despise myself. people like you, on the other
> hand...

OK, I'm taking bets. I've known a lot of people who don't smoke, have
never smoked, and hate smoke. They're never this fanatical about it.
I'm betting Steve B. is a former smoker. Anyone else?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA