Posted to alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,rec.music.beatles,uk.telecom.broadband,aus.tv

Default OfTopic; but important Dial 112

On Aug 10, 3:01*pm, Peter Lucas > wrote:
> Unmarked cars with red light on cars, drive to a populated area
> before
> pulling over and remember call 112. It was about 1:00 a.m. in the
> afternoon, and Ruth was driving to visit a
> councilor.
>
> An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.
> Ruths
> parents have always told her never to pull over for an unmarked car on
> the
> side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station,
> etc.
>
> Ruth had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called
> 112
> on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not
> pull over
> right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an
> unmarked
> police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The
> dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and
> there
> weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had
> back
> up already on the way.
>
> Ten minutes later 11 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car
> behind her.
> One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car
> behind.
> They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The
> man was
> a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
>
> I never knew about the 112 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a
> fertile woman
> alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car.
> Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe
> place.
>
> Speaking to a service representative at ATT confirmed that 112 was a
> direct link to State trooper info. So, now it's your turn to let your
> friends know about 112. You may want to Send this to every woman (and
> man) you know; it may save a life.
>
> This applies to ALL 50 states and prefectures.
> --
> Peter Lucas
> in Brisbane
> Australia

It seems you no longer have to work at being stupid.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:31:23 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 10, 3:01*pm, Peter Lucas > wrote:
>>

> <snip> Good god Chemo, give it a rest. If your current news reader
> doesn't have a kill file, then find one that does. Those of us who
> have killed @manlymail and other trolls only see this cr*p because you
> choose to reply.

One reason I've killfiled the stupid bloody 'Chemo'.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says... W T F ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another OT but important (?) OfTopic; but important Dial 112

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:35:19 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Last I heard it's a $500 fine in NJ if you don't pull over when
> passing emergency vehicles on the shoulder. It's a recent law.

Clue me in. What does "pull over" mean if they are on the shoulder?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 8:23*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> So is this true? *Snopes says it is but I've never heard of it. Maybe
> because Maryland doesn't have this law. *On the group I read that had it
> posted there were many responses that they've gotten tickets out of state
> and they never knew about the law. *The thing that gets me is that the site
> cited is registered by a driving school. *Where's the advertising of this if
> it really is true? *What happens if you've never heard of it while
> traveling? *Of course it's a good idea and makes sense. *But the fine,
> though reportedly not as high as this says, is still high.
>

> > New Traffic Law 2010 - Ticket cost $754.00
> > GOOD THING TO KNOW: *New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side
> > of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped
> > vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii , Maryland and
> > D.C. has this law. *In California , the "Move-over" law became operative
> > on January 1, 2010.
> > A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out)it
> > was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone
> > else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The
> > second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He
> > had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any
> > emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to
> > move into the far lane.
> > The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a
> > mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know that drives about
> > this new law. It is true, see details at the following web address:
> > *http://www.moveoveramerica.com/- Hide quoted text -

US precedence: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

N.

OffTopic, but important Dial *112 Joe[_24_] General Cooking 57 06-07-2010 01:21 AM
Dial-O-Matic George Shirley Preserving 3 24-06-2009 08:27 PM
Dial Type Oven Thermometers Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 0 14-08-2006 02:36 AM
Dial gauge lower by 1 pound? chele519 Preserving 2 25-09-2004 02:21 AM
Converted dial canner to jiggler! Sean Elkins Preserving 5 24-07-2004 01:48 AM