Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Martini Olives

On Aug 5, 1:24*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> Picked up a 2-pack of gigantic firm pimiento-stuffed spanish olives
> at Costco.
>
> Drained the brine from both jars and reserved.
>
> Removed enough olives to make room for 2 large sliced fresh jalopeños
> (with seeds)and 5 peeled garlic cloves in each jar.
>
> Mixed the sliced peppers and garlic cloves througout the olives in
> the jars.
>
> Made enough mixture of 7:1 gin and vermouth to fill both jars, then
> refrigerated for two weeks.
>
> Used enough reserved brine to cover the extra olives in a storage
> container and refrigerated for other use.
>
> I love these olives as a snack or in a gin martini.

Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous Bar's
chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest sense
because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they are
delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!

Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 7:00*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Aug 5, 1:24*am, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>

> > Picked up a 2-pack of gigantic firm pimiento-stuffed spanish olives
> > at Costco.

> > Drained the brine from both jars and reserved.

> > Removed enough olives to make room for 2 large sliced fresh jalopeños
> > (with seeds)and 5 peeled garlic cloves in each jar.

> > Mixed the sliced peppers and garlic cloves througout the olives in
> > the jars.

> > Made enough mixture of 7:1 gin and vermouth to fill both jars, then
> > refrigerated for two weeks.

> > Used enough reserved brine to cover the extra olives in a storage
> > container and refrigerated for other use.

> > I love these olives as a snack or in a gin martini.

> Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous Bar's
> chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest sense
> because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they are
> delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!
>
> Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.

It smells like the nasty berries on the bushes that were out in front
of my mom's house in Crestwood.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous Bar's
> chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest sense
> because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they are
> delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!
>
> Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.
>
> John Kuthe...

LMBO. Real men don't drink foo foo chocolate martinis, do they??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 8:59*am, Goomba > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous Bar's
> > chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest sense
> > because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they are
> > delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> > something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> > there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!

> > Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.

> > John Kuthe...

> LMBO. Real men don't drink foo foo chocolate martinis, do they??

If we want to, we do. I love them. Funny you should mention that, as
the last time I was down at the Famous Bar with my drinking buddy (who
was buying), he refused to buy me a second Chocolate Martini so I had
to get bourbon with water on the rocks. A real "manly" drink, I guess!
Hee hee!

And if you doubt my heterosexuality, introduce me to your wife/
girlfriend! HA! ;-)

Real men do what they damned well please!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 9:32*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Fri 06 Aug 2010 05:00:55a, John Kuthe told us...
>
> > Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous
> > Bar's chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest
> > sense because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they
> > are delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> > something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> > there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!

> That sounds absolutely revolting!
>
> > Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning
> > paintbrushes.

> Maybe youve only had them made with cheap gin. *Good gin has a
> wonderful flavor and bouquet.

How's Bombay Sapphire? I had a coworker who swore it was nectar, so I
tried some. Nope, still nasty old gin!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri 06 Aug 2010 05:00:55a, John Kuthe told us...
>
> > Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous
> > Bar's chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest
> > sense because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they
> > are delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> > something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> > there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!

> That sounds absolutely revolting!

Don't you like chocolate?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 09:59:29 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous Bar's
>> chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest sense
>> because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they are
>> delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
>> something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
>> there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!
>>
>> Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> LMBO. Real men don't drink foo foo chocolate martinis, do they??

well, not in front of the women. we just do that when we're wearing our
frilly underwear.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:00:55 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning paintbrushes.

You'd like the gins that are heavier with botanicals then. I just
bought one that all you need to do is chill. Vermouth in it would be
horrible, and I can't even imagine an olive. The brand is New
Amsterdam.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:32:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Fri 06 Aug 2010 05:00:55a, John Kuthe told us...
>
> > Martinis are nasty because gin is nasty. But I love the Famous
> > Bar's chocolate martinis! They are not martinis in the strictest
> > sense because they do not just contain gin and vermouth, but they
> > are delicious. I think they are made from Stoli chocolate vodka or
> > something similar, the rim of the glass is dusted with cocoa and
> > there's a Hersey's Kiss in the bottom! YUM!

> That sounds absolutely revolting!

It's not bad if you call it dessert and not a martini. I like
them, but not more than two.

> > Gin is only fit for thinning certain paints and cleaning
> > paintbrushes.

> Maybe youve only had them made with cheap gin. Good gin has a
> wonderful flavor and bouquet.

Absolutely.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:16:47 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> How's Bombay Sapphire?

Heavenly.

> I had a coworker who swore it was nectar, so I
> tried some. Nope, still nasty old gin!

It's a grown up drink, for sure.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:33:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Not that I've ever noticed. :-)

Ouch! Guess that lets me out.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-06, sf > wrote:

> It's a grown up drink, for sure.

An acquired taste, to be sure.

I hated the stuff most of my life, specially martinis. In the early
days, a salty dog was actually pretty good. Gin, grapefruit juice,
and a salted rim. The juice and salt easily overwhelmed the gin. A
couple decades later I was introduced to gin n' tonics. The smell
hooked me immediately. Finally, in my 50s, I said what the Hell and
tried a top shelf martini. Hey, this ain't bad. Now I even like a
tasty gin like Sapphire, straight. Granted, the cheap stuff still
tastes like paint stripper, but that's true of any cheap spirit.
Bottom line, good flavor cost $$$.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:42:12 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-08-06, sf > wrote:
>
> > It's a grown up drink, for sure.

> An acquired taste, to be sure.
>
> I hated the stuff most of my life, specially martinis. In the early
> days, a salty dog was actually pretty good. Gin, grapefruit juice,
> and a salted rim. The juice and salt easily overwhelmed the gin.

Couldn't stand Salty Dogs. Still can't. Not a fan of canned/bottled
grapefruit juice and it just went downhill from there with the gin.
The salted rim was okay. Those were the days when margaritas were
made with real limes - and that was what I drank.

> couple decades later I was introduced to gin n' tonics. The smell
> hooked me immediately.

For a while (mid 20s) Beefeaters and tonic was my drink of choice.

> Finally, in my 50s, I said what the Hell and
> tried a top shelf martini. Hey, this ain't bad. Now I even like a
> tasty gin like Sapphire, straight. Granted, the cheap stuff still
> tastes like paint stripper, but that's true of any cheap spirit.
> Bottom line, good flavor cost $$$.

Yeah, I was well into my '50s also. Guess I'd killed enough taste
buds by that time so gin tasted okay after all. Try New Amsterdam
straight. Good stuff. It's my new favorite gin. I'll still order
Sapphire martinis, but New Amsterdam is good on the rocks (with a
twist, if you want to be fancy).

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> You'd like the gins that are heavier with botanicals then. I just
> bought one that all you need to do is chill. Vermouth in it would be
> horrible, and I can't even imagine an olive. The brand is New
> Amsterdam.

Oh that is the stuff my son brought home one time when I asked him to
pick up some gin. VERY cool looking bottle. I had this image of him
choosing it so that he could make a lamp outta the bottle or something....?

Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
Martini Olives blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 2 06-08-2010 07:46 AM
Martini Olives Tara General Cooking 0 05-08-2010 05:31 PM
National Martini Day gtr General Cooking 38 17-06-2010 08:10 PM
FA: The Martini Book Shane General 0 23-04-2005 01:00 PM