Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a beef stew in slow cooker

I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots, potatoes -
both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the bottom of the
cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top of the vegetables.
The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set on medium for about
seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl barley and split lentils
and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I check that everything is
cooked and switch off.

My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the cooker
and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,
> potatoes - both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the
> bottom of the cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top
> of the vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set
> on medium for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl
> barley and split lentils and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I
> check that everything is cooked and switch off.
>
> My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the cooker
> and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to
a boil and the sauce thickened slightly. Then meat is returned to the
pot and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours.
Add chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,
>> potatoes - both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the
>> bottom of the cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top
>> of the vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set
>> on medium for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl
>> barley and split lentils and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I
>> check that everything is cooked and switch off.
>>
>> My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the cooker
>> and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
> from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
> bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
> sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to a
> boil and the sauce thickened slightly. Then meat is returned to the pot
> and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. Add
> chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.

Absolutely, and right on as far as I'm concerned. You must brown the meat.
You have to saute the vegetables, at least onion, garlic and celery in
advance of adding any liquid. At that point you could go to the slow cooker
on high. I'd cover the meat.

Please let us know if you try this with the slow cooker.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 9:58*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Emrys Davies wrote:
> > I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,
> > potatoes - both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the
> > bottom of the cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top
> > of the vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set
> > on medium for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl
> > barley and split lentils and stir thoroughly. *After about 30 minutes I
> > check that everything is cooked and switch off.

> > My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the cooker
> > and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
> from her how to make stew. *The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
> bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
> sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to
> a boil and the sauce thickened slightly. *Then meat is returned to the
> pot and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours.
> Add chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.

I think the OP wanted info on using the crock pot and not cooking in
the oven. I've made lots of stew in a crock pot and always brown the
meat in a cast iron skillet and then put it in the bottom of the crock
pot...then add everything else. Always turns out perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> "Dave Smith" wrote in message
> . com...
>
> >Emrys Davies wrote:
> >
> >>I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,
> >>potatoes - both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the
> >>bottom of the cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top
> >>of the vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set
> >>on medium for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl
> >>barley and split lentils and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I
> >>check that everything is cooked and switch off.
> >>
> >>My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the

> cooker
> >>and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

> >I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
> >from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
> >bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
> >sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought

> to a
> >boil and the sauce thickened slightly. Then meat is returned to the pot
> >and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. Add
> >chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.
> >

> Absolutely, and right on as far as I'm concerned. You must brown the
> meat.
> You have to saute the vegetables, at least onion, garlic and celery in
> advance of adding any liquid. At that point you could go to the slow
> cooker
> on high. I'd cover the meat.
>
> Please let us know if you try this with the slow cooker.
>
> Kent

I start with a good, strong stock to braise the previously browned meat
in. If beef stew adding red wine (burgandy) at various stages,
begining, middle and end.

Then about 15 minutes to a half hour before the stew is to be served add
the vegitables to cook till just done.

I dont find the browning of any vegitables to be a necessary step,
though there is something to be said about using a bit of garlic when
browning the meat.

Herbs and spices can go in at various times but i generaly tend to add
them tword the end of the cooking.

Of course one can coat the beef chunks in seasoned flour and then brown
them in bacon fat, transfere to stew pot and add the stock and bouquet
garni and garlic. Deglaze the pan with red wine and add the resulting
thin sauce to the stew.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky/files/sf_anthem.mp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> On Aug 5, 9:58 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> > I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,
>> > potatoes - both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the
>> > bottom of the cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top
>> > of the vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set
>> > on medium for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl
>> > barley and split lentils and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I
>> > check that everything is cooked and switch off.

>> > My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the
>> > cooker
>> > and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

>> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
>> from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
>> bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
>> sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to
>> a boil and the sauce thickened slightly. Then meat is returned to the
>> pot and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours.
>> Add chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.

> I think the OP wanted info on using the crock pot and not cooking in
> the oven. I've made lots of stew in a crock pot and always brown the
> meat in a cast iron skillet and then put it in the bottom of the crock
> pot...then add everything else. Always turns out perfect.

Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back chops or neck of
lamb? I have in mind that the bony parts will damage the pan or base of the
slow cooker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emrys Davies > wrote in message
[snip]
> Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back
> chops or neck of lamb? I have in mind that the bony parts
> will damage the pan or base of the slow cooker.

I don't think you're understanding Chemo's comments. You need to brown the
meat first and then setting the meat into the bottom of the crockpot. A
crockpot couldn't handle the cast iron skillet.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what cut you use, bone-in or not. Setting the
meat down first gives the best results when making stews or soups.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 2:14*pm, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:

> Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back chops or neck of
> lamb? *I have in mind that the bony parts will damage the pan or base of the
> slow cooker.

What's your slow cooker made of? Mine have all been heavy stoneware
(ceramic). A few bones aren't going to affect that.

Cindy Hamiton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 11:14*am, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:
> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in ...

> >> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
> >> from her how to make stew. *The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
> >> bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
> >> sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to
> >> a boil and the sauce thickened slightly. *Then meat is returned to the
> >> pot and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours..
> >> Add chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.

> > I think the OP wanted info on using the crock pot and not cooking in
> > the oven. I've made lots of stew in a crock pot and always brown the
> > meat in a cast iron skillet and then put it in the bottom of the crock
> > pot...then add everything else. Always turns out perfect.

> Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back chops or neck of
> lamb? *I have in mind that the bony parts will damage the pan or base of the
> slow cooker.

No...I've done bone in meats before and no problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

>> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
>> from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy
>> bottom and then removed. Minced onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic are
>> sauteed in the pan. Then tomato paste and stock are added and brought to a
>> boil and the sauce thickened slightly. Then meat is returned to the pot
>> and it is covered and stuck into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. Add
>> chopped potato and carrots and cook for another hour.
>>

> Absolutely, and right on as far as I'm concerned. You must brown the meat.
> You have to saute the vegetables, at least onion, garlic and celery in
> advance of adding any liquid. At that point you could go to the slow cooker
> on high. I'd cover the meat.
>
> Please let us know if you try this with the slow cooker.

Can't do that. I don't have a slow cooker and have no intention of
getting on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Much depends on the slow cooker being used and the manufacturer's
suggested method. Mine all have the heat units more at the base and the
makers recommend vegetables at the bottom so they get cooked through.
All the suggestions of prebrowning meat are good. I would use the slow
or auto switch settings rather than high and go for a longer time. jh

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 5, 11:14 am, "Emrys Davies" > wrote:

> Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back chops or neck of
> lamb? I have in mind that the bony parts will damage the pan or base of the
> slow cooker.

Browning the meat for a stew first is for the purpose of developing
tasty flavors in the meat. Many people omit the browning step when
using lamb. Either they don't like the deeper lamb flavor or from
tradition, Irish stew is often made that way. Suit yourself.

I'd consult the manufacturer's booklet as to whether veggies or meat
should be at the bottom. In a conventional stew pot they are mixed,
but slow cookers are strange contraptions with uneven heat.

I can't think of any way damage to the pan can happen. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

>tradition, Irish stew is often made that way. Suit yourself.

>I'd consult the manufacturer's booklet as to whether veggies or meat
>should be at the bottom. In a conventional stew pot they are mixed,
>but slow cookers are strange contraptions with uneven heat.

I have no idea re. slow cookers.

Most braised meat recipes I have seen for dutch ovens state that
one places some vegetables under the meat. I think that's mostly
so that the meat does not become completely immersed and boiled.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 5, 12:52 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> I have no idea re. slow cookers.

> Most braised meat recipes I have seen for dutch ovens state that
> one places some vegetables under the meat. I think that's mostly
> so that the meat does not become completely immersed and boiled.

I differentiate between braises and stews, though they are obviously
closely related. When I make a braise there is only enough liquid to
come up about halfway on the contents. As you say, it's normal to
place the meat on top of the vegetables, thus at least partly up out
of the liquid. When I make a stew, as is the case here, there is
enough liquid to cover all the contents fully. So in a Dutch oven in
the oven placement of the items doesn't matter. I don't know about
crockpots either, except that some heat from the bottom onlly, some
also from the sides. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

>On Aug 5, 12:52 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Most braised meat recipes I have seen for dutch ovens state that
>> one places some vegetables under the meat. I think that's mostly
>> so that the meat does not become completely immersed and boiled.

>I differentiate between braises and stews, though they are obviously
>closely related. When I make a braise there is only enough liquid to
>come up about halfway on the contents. As you say, it's normal to
>place the meat on top of the vegetables, thus at least partly up out
>of the liquid. When I make a stew, as is the case here, there is
>enough liquid to cover all the contents fully. So in a Dutch oven in
>the oven placement of the items doesn't matter.

Good point. I should read the subject line. :-)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:44:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I don't understand the reason for
>blanching the vegetables.

That made me go ...hummmm.... too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:44:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>I don't understand the reason for
>>blanching the vegetables.

> That made me go ...hummmm.... too!

I find that potatoes and carrots cook far more slowly than onions and
parsnips, hence the blanching .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote
> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,

> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
> from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy

Dave, the question was how to make it in a slowcooker aka crockpot. That
you like to first stove top part then oven cook it, is fine but has nothing
to do with this method.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Dave Smith" wrote
>> Emrys Davies wrote:
>>> I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots,

>> I think you're both wrong. My wife is the braising queen and I learned
>> from her how to make stew. The meat is browned in a pot with a heavy

> Dave, the question was how to make it in a slowcooker aka crockpot.
> That you like to first stove top part then oven cook it, is fine but has
> nothing to do with this method.

You could be right, but IFAIAC,, if you are going to make a half-assed
attempt to make stew it is not going to make a hell of a lot of
difference if the veggies are on top or on the bottom. It does help to
explain why some people don't like stew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emrys Davies wrote:

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:44:40 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand the reason for
>>> blanching the vegetables.

>> That made me go ...hummmm.... too!

> I find that potatoes and carrots cook far more slowly than onions and
> parsnips, hence the blanching .

Hell, I must have misread. I thought you had written in the OP that you
cooked it for 7 hours. And blanching is going to make a difference?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> On Aug 5, 11:14 am, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
>
> >Would your answer be different if the meat is mutton back chops or

> neck of
> >lamb? I have in mind that the bony parts will damage the pan or base

> of the
> >slow cooker.

> Browning the meat for a stew first is for the purpose of developing
> tasty flavors in the meat.

I do like a plain boiled beef.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One could start a beef stew with a vegitable, white or brown stock. but
a general rule for braised meats has the meat cooked on a bed of veggies
and some water. The effectively produces the meat stock one need not
then make seperatly to braies the meat in.

For a "crock - pot" one would, i assume, cook the meats and veggies
slowely over however many hours, come home, remove the meat from the
cooking liquid, and press and filter mightly to get every ounce of
possible liquid from the braising fluids?

Now i would turn that pressed, defatted, & filtered "stock" into a suace
or gravy rather than diluting it with further water to braise the
veggies one intends to eat with the already cooked meat. And rather
serve with the fully cooked meat and sauce, freshly steamed or otherwise
quickly preapred, veggies.

If i really wanted a 'stew" ..... i would add the reserved, drained,
filtered and defatted braising liquids to the stew pot and add enough
water to cover the "stew" veggies" i intended to eat, celery, carrots,
potatoes, oninons, etc, then cook or blanch those veggies till al dente,
drain and add to the meat and stock. Warm thorough, even let simmer for
5 or 10 minutes if one must, and serve.

I would make enough so that there are leftovers, there is a charm to
this dish when it is made in a way that the veggies are over cooked and
falling apart mushy. Rehated and reused, i would tend to filter on more
than one occasion if makeing a very large amout, and if using potatoes.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emrys Davies" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I use a 6 litre slow cooker and I place the vegetables (carrots, potatoes -
>both blanched for 5 minutes - onions and parsnips) in the bottom of the
>cooker and then I add stock to within one inch of the top of the
>vegetables. The meat is then placed on top and the cooker is set on medium
>for about seven hours at which point I add parsley, pearl barley and split
>lentils and stir thoroughly. After about 30 minutes I check that
>everything is cooked and switch off.
>
> My butcher says that I should place the meat at the bottom of the cooker
> and it is on this particular theory that I would like your views.

I don't call that stew but soup. No browned meat? Not for me. With all
that liquid, how could it matter where the meat was?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Dave, the question was how to make it in a slowcooker aka crockpot. That
>> you like to first stove top part then oven cook it, is fine but has
>> nothing to do with this method.

> You could be right, but IFAIAC,, if you are going to make a half-assed
> attempt to make stew it is not going to make a hell of a lot of difference
> if the veggies are on top or on the bottom. It does help to explain why
> some people don't like stew.

Dave, don't disabuse other methods of making what one might call 'stew' just
because the method isnt one you are familiar with. Where i come from, the
idea of using the oven (vice stovetop) would set folks to giggling. It
doesnt mean yours is bad, but that it isn't the same and the difference may
not go over well. There is a flavor you may be looking for antithical to
what others are looking for.

Also the OP may not have the ability (physical, gear or time) so asked a
rather *specific* question based on a need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" wrote

> For a "crock - pot" one would, i assume, cook the meats and veggies
> slowely over however many hours, come home, remove the meat from the
> cooking liquid, and press and filter mightly to get every ounce of
> possible liquid from the braising fluids?

Logical but not how it works.

The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty much all
that is needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "JL" wrote
>
> > For a "crock - pot" one would, i assume, cook the meats and veggies
> > slowely over however many hours, come home, remove the meat from the
> > cooking liquid, and press and filter mightly to get every ounce of
> > possible liquid from the braising fluids?

> Logical but not how it works.
>
> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty much
> all that is needed.

I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JL wrote:
>> Logical but not how it works.
>>
>> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty much
>> all that is needed.
>>

> I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only
advantage I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot luck
or for keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and don't
care to find space for storing one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in message
. com...
> JL wrote:
>> I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.
>>

> I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only advantage
> I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot luck or for
> keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and don't care to
> find space for storing one.

Every tool has its uses and if you aren't willing to learn to use it, it
will always be a space-wasting item. I won't ever own a scroll saw (or
toaster oven) but know people that love both and use them a lot. I can't
imagine not having two working crockpots, and during fall winter (and often
summer) am cranking out meals using them.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:57:05 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Every tool has its uses and if you aren't willing to learn to use it, it
>will always be a space-wasting item. I won't ever own a scroll saw (or
>toaster oven) but know people that love both and use them a lot. I can't
>imagine not having two working crockpots, and during fall winter (and often
>summer) am cranking out meals using them.

During this hot summer, I have been using the crock pot more than
ever. The veranda is a perfect place to cook and maybe have a
cocktail?....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:57:05 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:

>> Every tool has its uses and if you aren't willing to learn to use it, it
>> will always be a space-wasting item. I won't ever own a scroll saw (or
>> toaster oven) but know people that love both and use them a lot. I can't
>> imagine not having two working crockpots, and during fall winter (and
>> often summer) am cranking out meals using them.
>>

> During this hot summer, I have been using the crock pot more than
> ever. The veranda is a perfect place to cook and maybe have a
> cocktail?....

During our three-day "heat wave" I set them up on the patio table and we had
soup and salad combos each day. The most memorable was the curried tomato
soup and shrimp noodle salad. That's the one the daughter-units are asking
for again this winter. I didn't think of enjoying a cocktail while watching
the grass grow but that sounds like a winning combo, too! Any mixes you'd
suggest?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty much
>> all that is needed.

> I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

It is a tool like any other and you need to learn how to use it properly.
I'm not very impressed with stews from an oven and can replicate any stove
top type in a crockpot, often to better taste effect and never less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote
> JL wrote:

>>> Logical but not how it works.
>>>
>>> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe.

>> I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

> I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only advantage
> I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot luck or for
> keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and don't care to
> find space for storing one.

No problem Dave but dont diss the folks who learned how to use one right.
Neither you nor JL are used to them. Me, Got my first one in 1978.

It's a tool, like any other. Used right, it works very well and in those
recipes, will exceed that of a stovetop or oven. It's also as you note, not
a bad device to keep foods hot for a potluck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" wrote
> Dave Smith > wrote in message

>> I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only
>> advantage I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot luck
>> or for keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and don't
>> care to find space for storing one.

> Every tool has its uses and if you aren't willing to learn to use it, it
> will always be a space-wasting item. I won't ever own a scroll saw (or
> toaster oven) but know people that love both and use them a lot. I can't
> imagine not having two working crockpots, and during fall winter (and
> often summer) am cranking out meals using them.

Same here. One of mine is steaming some spice crusted eggwashed potatoes (I
think the slow steaming tastes better than microwaved ones that still feel
'raw' even when soft). The other has carrot soup made with a little chicken
broth and blendered to smoothe, served with butter. I'll have to finish
both soon as a pork shoulder is defrosting and I need room for Momma-crock
for a slow roasted southern pulled pork dish. I'm a bit space challanged so
can't use all 3 at once unless on is on the floor. Um, pulled pork on floor
with a cat and a dog? Nope. Not when it takes a full sized cinderblock to
keep them out of a cooler with iced live blue crabs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" wrote

> During this hot summer, I have been using the crock pot more than
> ever. The veranda is a perfect place to cook and maybe have a
> cocktail?....

Absolutely! Significantly less heat added to the house even indoors.

Have some salt boiled peanuts from the crockpot next time. Yummie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> JL wrote:
>
> >> Logical but not how it works.
> >>
> >> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty

> much
> >> all that is needed.
> >>

> > I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

> I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only
> advantage I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot luck
> or for keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and don't
> care to find space for storing one.

I kept the thick, heavy, glazed ceramic insert that held the
ingredients, and was removable, quite attractive really, and got rid of
the electrical heating unit.

I have used the insert to make very large quantities of food for parties
but other wise, with its glass lid it makes a good storage container.

I just too much like to tinker with my food as it cooks to leve it alone
to preceed on its own.

And espicaly with the long slow cooking of meat, skiming is an important
step imo. Espicaly with meat stews and soups. These days i cook my
meats completely seperate from my soup, be it stew, ragout or potage and
serve the seperetly made soup with any meats i have precooked for it.
Warming them together briefly if necessary.

I often braise various cuts of beef and then use the remaining braising
stock as the basis for a soup in which to serve the previously cooked,
fork tender beef. It does not hurt to let it rest for a bit and add
back to the soup any meat juices it might exuded while resting and
before being added to the soup.

Such a preperation allows for a much greater amount of flavor, espeicaly
of the vegitables one makes the soup with and even with a bean and veggi
and pasta soup one gets flavors that would be ovewhelmed if all the
ingredients were cooked together with meat all at once.

Imo the meat flavors in these types of soups that are started with raw
or seared meat and have the veggies cooked with them overwhelms all the
other veggie flavors.

It can be very good cooked this way, but i like doing the meats and soup
seperatly and then serving together.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "JL" wrote
>
> > cshenk wrote:

> >> The trick is you add less water to a crockpot recipe. Thats pretty

> much
> >> all that is needed.

> > I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

> It is a tool like any other and you need to learn how to use it
> properly.

Non sequitar.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> >> I used a crock pot a few times but it never really impressed me.

> > I have been similarly unimpressed with crock pot meals. The only
> > advantage I can see to one of them is as a heating vessel for a pot
> > luck or for keeping food warm for a party. I have never owned one and
> > don't care to find space for storing one.

> No problem Dave but dont diss the folks who learned how to use one
> right. Neither you nor JL are used to them.

ALmost but not quite anothe non sequitar. Your exception is "are".

I quite using one with any regularity over 10 years ago.

I was as unimpressed with the "unattended" aspect in a non cooking
context as i was in any culinary sense.

A lack of interest or enthusiasm does not necesarily imply an ignorance
or ill use that which there is little to no inteest in. I dont like
olive oil either and dont use it.
--
Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> It is a tool like any other and you need to learn how to use it
>> properly.

> Non sequitar.

Love you jl, but not this time. Look at the subject line. It was
specifically how to use a slow cooker(aka crockpot).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "JL" wrote
>
> > cshenk wrote:

> >> It is a tool like any other and you need to learn how to use it
> >> properly.

> > Non sequitar.

> Love you jl, but not this time. Look at the subject line. It was
> specifically how to use a slow cooker(aka crockpot).

My lack of use of or enthusiasm for "crock pots" does not neceissarily
imply a lack of knowlege of their proper use.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

I've always been puzzled that so many crock recipes do not
call for browning the meat before putting it in the pot.

I've tried it a few times, and somehow, the cooked meat
seems "unfinished".....

And yet these are books supplied by the crock manufacturer.
( you'd think they know what they're doing )

???