Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Martini Olives

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 06:24:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Picked up a 2-pack of gigantic firm pimiento-stuffed spanish olives
> at Costco.
>
> Drained the brine from both jars and reserved.
>
> Removed enough olives to make room for 2 large sliced fresh jalopeños
> (with seeds)and 5 peeled garlic cloves in each jar.
>
> Mixed the sliced peppers and garlic cloves througout the olives in
> the jars.
>
> Made enough mixture of 7:1 gin and vermouth to fill both jars, then
> refrigerated for two weeks.
>
> Used enough reserved brine to cover the extra olives in a storage
> container and refrigerated for other use.
>
> I love these olives as a snack or in a gin martini.

now *that's* dedication. my hat's off to you, sir!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Thanks! I'm *very* serious about my martinis and all that goes in
>them. :-)

What's your opinion of blue cheese-stuffed olives?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Thu 05 Aug 2010 11:22:04p, Steve Pope told us...

>> What's your opinion of blue cheese-stuffed olives?

>I love them. However, I'm reluctant to put them in a martini as the
>cheese can muddy the clarity of the drink.

You're right, that can happen, and it is unappealing.

However it does not necessarily happen, if it's a good non-crumbly
cheese, stuffed into the olive firmly, stuffed into the
olive recently, and keep cold enough.

So, supermarket blue-cheese olive usually have the problem to
which you refer. But I have had martinis with house-stuffed
olives at a couple restaurants that were really superb.
The two restaurants are Vendome in Denver (which I can
generally recommend; they used Roquefort in their olives),
and Skates in Berkeley (which does unfortunately not have a whole
lot going for it in general; I believe they used Maytag Blue).

Steve

Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
Martini Olives John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 13 06-08-2010 09:16 PM
Martini Olives Tara General Cooking 0 05-08-2010 05:31 PM
National Martini Day gtr General Cooking 38 17-06-2010 08:10 PM
FA: The Martini Book Shane General 0 23-04-2005 01:00 PM