Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Back to basics

On 2010-08-09, sf > wrote:

> If school cafeterias in my district cooked their own food, I'd fall
> over in a dead faint. It arrived prepackaged and looking just as
> horrible as ever.

It's a crying shame, isn't it, sf?

I grew up in schools where real people cooked real canned food. Don't
get me wrong. Canned food is some of the least adulterated food
available. I do know the cooks in my childhood schools DID cook the
ground beef in the sloppy joes, jes like I do, today. We also ate
real lettuce and tomatoes in our grn salad side, when we got it, but
more often than not it was canned fruit salad or potato salad from I
know not where. But, the corn bread, chili, meat loaf, cole slaw,
etc, were all real food, made from fresh ingredients cooked by two
little ol' ladies in the kitchen. We could see the pots and pans
a-bubblin' on the stoves. I don't see why an illegal can't cook real
food for min wage as well as a push microwave buttons for min wage.

nb
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Hamilton[_2_] View Post
On Aug 6, 12:50*pm, Gorio wrote:
'Cindy Hamilton[_2_ Wrote:

;1515102']On Aug 5, 1:22*am, Gorio
wrote:-
I go through this dilemma all the time in my head. I work in a school
with some cafeteria gals who know how to cook "old school." It drives
them nuts that we blow money on prepackaged PB&Js and fake ribs; me
too.There once was a day when cool vegetables, fruits, fresh bread and
soup were offered most days.

Sounds too easy.

Beef stew (the kind grown by people HERE), while offering a vegetarian
choice of a well stocked salad bar would be any easy money saver if
made
from scratch. The poeple are in place. * ADELANTE...DEGUELLO!!!

It could be done cheaply, and with more options for kids. Now, I need
french onion soup recipe that doesn't include wine. :x-

Why?

Cindy Hamilton

Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with
wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think
you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.

--
Gorio

Sorry; I'd lost track of the school cafeteria involvement.

Cindy Hamilton
You're cool. I just get stoked over this kind of stuff. I think diet is the simplest way to change kids health, physical and mental, there is. It just makes me sick when I hear about the money issue with good food. If you make bread and soup, they will come!!

Sorry if I'm thinking aloud (awritten?) too much and not contributing enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:02:50 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I don't see why an illegal can't cook real
> food for min wage as well as a push microwave buttons for min wage.

Don't cloud the issue with legal status, nb. School districts are not
the culprits who hire them (as far as I know). It's hard enough to
get hired if you're legal. Have you ever tried it? They send your
fingerprints out to be checked. They say they're looking for wants,
warrants and prior convictions but I'm betting they check your legal
status and pedigree while they're at it.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Member

Sorry, but nope. It has a lot more to do with the kinds of foods we stuff down our gullets. People in the past were not simply inherently more virtuous. People is people.