Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Back to basics

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:29:51 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>what about mustards, ketchup, soy sauce,
>worcestershire sauce, sriracha?

My list of foods I don't see myself attempting any time soon includes
the above plus:

fish sauce
vinegars
hot sauces (the fermented mash Tabasco style -- I can handle vinegar
and hot peppers)
olives
aged cheeses
peanut butter

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:29:51 -0700 (PDT), aem >

>>what about mustards, ketchup, soy sauce,
>>worcestershire sauce, sriracha?

>My list of foods I don't see myself attempting any time soon includes
>the above plus:
>
>fish sauce
>vinegars
>hot sauces (the fermented mash Tabasco style -- I can handle vinegar
>and hot peppers)
>olives
>aged cheeses
>peanut butter

Nut butters, and vinegars, are practical to produces at home.
Ketchup is difficult because consumers don't normally have
access to paste tomatoes.

There are reasonably unadulterated versions of some of these products
already on the market (i.e. ketchup without HFCS, peanut butter
without additives, olives with just olives/salt/water, etc.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Adding on -- I don't see myself making butter for everyday use. We
do occasionally make butter as a project at school. It is fun and my
kids love to make it. I had a little wild child first grader who
shook that butter up like a champ.

I will learn to make yogurt one of these days. The crockpot 365
blog has a crockpot method that I would like to try.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Nut butters, and vinegars, are practical to produces at home.
> Ketchup is difficult because consumers don't normally have
> access to paste tomatoes.

Curious...How can I make vinegar? I would have an easier time making
ketchup (with my store bought vinegar of course)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:58:06 +0000 (UTC),
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> I love mayo/aioli and tartar sauce on fries.

Try tartar sauce on onion rings and you won't look back.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:13:21 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

> peanut butter

That one is dead easy to make - if you wanted to.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Kswck > wrote:
>
>>Make a Ranch dressing from scratch and don't flinch when everyone asks you
>>why it is so runny...<no chemical thickeners>.

> Xanthum gum is right there on the supermarket shelf.
>
> Steve

Xanthum gum is made from corn sugar... which means along with being a
stabilizer and thickener it also contains sucrose. It's probably not
something I want to add to my home cooking, but then again I don't eat
salads so I don't bother to buy or make salad dressings

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cornelius wrote:
> Scooter,
>
> All cooking aside, you would definitely eat better as you would no
> longer be packing your body with chemicals and preservatives. Yeah, I
> know sounds paranoid and all, but think about how slender and healthy
> people used to be, compared to now.

Was that before TV? Before "labor saving" devices such as washing
machines? Was that when kids played outside?? Was that when farming was
far more common and far larger a household task than a little hobby in
pots on the deck?
I mean, why *do* you think people were more slender? And you don't even
want to discuss healthy because many were far from it. But they're not
being glorified.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:21:53 +0000, Cornelius
> > wrote:
>
>> think about how slender and healthy
>> people used to be, compared to now.

> That has a lot to do with the volume of food that we stuff down our
> gullets today.

It also has a lot to do with the amount of physical labor surviving on a
day to day basis required then too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 05:22:05 +0000, Gorio
> wrote:

>I go through this dilemma all the time in my head. I work in a school
>with some cafeteria gals who know how to cook "old school." It drives
>them nuts that we blow money on prepackaged PB&Js and fake ribs; me
>too.There once was a day when cool vegetables, fruits, fresh bread and
>soup were offered most days.
>
>Sounds too easy.
>
>Beef stew (the kind grown by people HERE), while offering a vegetarian
>choice of a well stocked salad bar would be any easy money saver if made
>from scratch. The poeple are in place. ADELANTE...DEGUELLO!!!
>
>It could be done cheaply, and with more options for kids. Now, I need a
>french onion soup recipe that doesn't include wine. :x

Fr onion soup could also be made using a combination of beef broth,
chicken stock and some apple cider, not apple juice. It turns out
really good.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 08/02/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cornelius wrote:
> Scooter,
>
> All cooking aside, you would definitely eat better as you would no
> longer be packing your body with chemicals and preservatives. Yeah, I
> know sounds paranoid and all, but think about how slender and healthy
> people used to be, compared to now.

In the world of "used to be" we were all very active. Most people worked
on farms or in mines or other labor-intensive occupations. Today most
of us work at sedentary occupations. Even if we labor for a living,
modern technology has taken a lot of the "work" out of our work. As a
consequence we don't need as many calories to function as we did in the
days of "used to be"

Most of us learned to cook from families who were engaged in more
labor-intensive occupations. Our culture is based on the "Meat and
potatoes" that Europeans ate, or the beans and rice of the South and
Central American cultures, or the rice of Asian cultures. Since most of
us don't burn up those additional calories that were needed by our
previous generations to survive a labor intensive life style, we are
facing an epidemic of obesity.

I don't have the solution.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> That and the lack of exercise. We used to walk or ride our bicycles to
> school. Most of kids go to school by bus these days. When I was a kid we
> were all involved in team sports, hockey in the winter, baseball and/or
> soccer in the summer. We were not allowed to watch much television. My
> mother used to kick us out of the house every morning if the weather
> was halfway decent. She often packed a lunch and sent us off on a hike.
> I am surprised to see how much television kids watch these days, and
> how much time is spent playing video games. We rarely had junk food in
> the house and soda pop was for special occasions only. I am surprised
> when I see parents of young children out shopping and the amount of junk
> food. I occasionally see a very fat woman with a couple of fat kids and
> two shopping carts piled high with soft drinks and junk food. I am
> tempted to feel sorry for them.

I was talking to a young woman about this the other day. We used to send
our kids outside to play. All the neighborhood kids would get together
and play some kind of game that involved movement, very much different
from a video game.

The moms of today, my own daughters and daughter-in-law included, are
afraid of sexual predators attacking their children while they are
outside the home, playing on the street. They keep the kids indoors and
the kids play video games, computer games, Wii, Ninetendo and they text
and text and text and when they are done texting, they Facebook.

No wonder we are raising a nation of fatties.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 19:04:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> That and the lack of exercise. We used to walk or ride our bicycles to
>> school. Most of kids go to school by bus these days. When I was a kid we
>> were all involved in team sports, hockey in the winter, baseball and/or
>> soccer in the summer. We were not allowed to watch much television. My
>> mother used to kick us out of the house every morning if the weather
>> was halfway decent. She often packed a lunch and sent us off on a hike.
>> I am surprised to see how much television kids watch these days, and
>> how much time is spent playing video games. We rarely had junk food in
>> the house and soda pop was for special occasions only. I am surprised
>> when I see parents of young children out shopping and the amount of junk
>> food. I occasionally see a very fat woman with a couple of fat kids and
>> two shopping carts piled high with soft drinks and junk food. I am
>> tempted to feel sorry for them.

>I was talking to a young woman about this the other day. We used to send
>our kids outside to play. All the neighborhood kids would get together
>and play some kind of game that involved movement, very much different
>from a video game.
>

>The moms of today, my own daughters and daughter-in-law included, are
>afraid of sexual predators attacking their children while they are
>outside the home, playing on the street. They keep the kids indoors and
>the kids play video games, computer games, Wii, Ninetendo and they text
>and text and text and when they are done texting, they Facebook.
>
>No wonder we are raising a nation of fatties.

When I was five years old my mother would give me an old soup spoon so
I could go out to a vacant lot where other five year olds with similar
spoons gathered so we could all dig to China... all we needed was one
tin truck (or a soup can that we imagined was a truck) and we'd
excavate dirt roads better and further than NASA plots paths through
the milkway... we'd burn a lot more calories than ten kids could suck
out of a wad of bubblegum. We all enjoyed childhood while none of us
ever had any money. The main reason why anyone is obese today is
simply because they all have a pocketful of money. I honestly don't
remember any fat kids, none of us ever had enough money to buy enough
food to get fat... it's very difficult to get fat on the occasional
wax lips and baseball card bubble gum. Today there are seven year
olds who regularly buy an entire pizza any time they get the urge...
three year olds subsist entirely on Happy Meals and Chucky Cheese
birthday party grub. When I was a kid birthday party food was a
teensy cupcake and a teensy basket filled with peanuts, raisins and
maybe a few good n' plentys, and a dixie cup of ice cream... most
times all we'd actually eat was some of the dixie cup, because under
the lid was a picture of some childhood hero like Roy Rogers, Gabby
Hayes, Captain Video, or the Three Tons of Fun... kids then idolized
Trigger but never the Three Tons of Lard. We ate Shredded Wheat and
Wheaties, I don't remember ever eating pizza until I was maybe
fifteen, and thought it was disgusting TIAD. Back then a whole
dripping with oil, loaded with cheese and a ton of calories pizza cost
75¢. A few steps away for the same 75¢ I'd much rather a kosher
tongue on club, a kasha k'nish, and a Cel-Ray tonic... and of course
all the zero calorie half sours I could schtup.

Kids are fatties because both parents have careers so to negate their
abandonment guilt they schtup their rug rats with Jeffersons like it
were TP. I've seen eight year olds with credit cards There is no
other reason whatsoever for obeasties. Career mothers give birth,
NONE parent. There is no way anyone can maintain a career and do any
parenting, Playing birth canal is NOT parenting. Day care is
definitely not parenting, it's lower than dumping a kid at a kennel...
no pet of mine has ever been at a kennel, never will.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:21:53 +0000, Cornelius
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> think about how slender and healthy
>>> people used to be, compared to now.

>> That has a lot to do with the volume of food that we stuff down our
>> gullets today.
>>

> It also has a lot to do with the amount of physical labor surviving on a
> day to day basis required then too.

Exactly. Remember the PBS series from 2002 'Frontier House'? Those people
had to *work* for their food. Sure, the folks in 1883 on the American
frontier had some canned and jarred goods. But they also milked cows,
planted gardens, raised hogs and chickens (and butchered them). They
chopped firewood because how else were they going to cook? Talk about
making things from scratch... LOL I loved that series

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> > Kswck > wrote:
> >
> >>Make a Ranch dressing from scratch and don't flinch when everyone asks you
> >>why it is so runny...<no chemical thickeners>.

> > Xanthum gum is right there on the supermarket shelf.

> Xanthum gum is made from corn sugar... which means along with being a
> stabilizer and thickener it also contains sucrose. It's probably not
> something I want to add to my home cooking, but then again I don't eat
> salads so I don't bother to buy or make salad dressings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthum_gum

Xanthum gum can be made out of corn sugar (which is dextrose/glucose,
not sucrose). It can also be made out of sucrose. The end product
should not contain any of those sugars, though.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Xanthum gum is made from corn sugar... which means along with being a
> stabilizer and thickener it also contains sucrose. It's probably not
> something I want to add to my home cooking, but then again I don't eat
> salads so I don't bother to buy or make salad dressings

You don't eat salads? I don't believe you've ever mentioned that here. Do
you just not like them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

> all the zero calorie half sours I could schtup.
>
> Kids are fatties because both parents have careers so to negate their
> abandonment guilt they schtup their rug rats with Jeffersons

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schtup

schtup verb,schtupped, schtup·ping. Slang: Vulgar.

-verb (used with object)
1.to have sexual intercourse with.

-verb (used without object)
2.to engage in sexual intercourse.

You sure have some strange ideas about what goes on in families nowadays,
and just how many pickles *did* you take up your ass at a time?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 21:57:14 -0400, brooklyn1
> [...]

>fifteen, and thought it was disgusting TIAD. Back then a whole
>dripping with oil, loaded with cheese and a ton of calories pizza cost
>75¢. A few steps away for the same 75¢ I'd much rather a kosher
>tongue on club, a kasha k'nish, and a Cel-Ray tonic... and of course
>all the zero calorie half sours I could schtup.
>
>Kids are fatties because both parents have careers so to negate their
>abandonment guilt they schtup their rug rats with Jeffersons like it
>were TP. I've seen eight year olds with credit cards There is no
>other reason whatsoever for obeasties. Career mothers give birth,
>NONE parent. There is no way anyone can maintain a career and do any
>parenting, Playing birth canal is NOT parenting. Day care is
>definitely not parenting, it's lower than dumping a kid at a kennel...
>no pet of mine has ever been at a kennel, never will.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1 View Post
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a nice upbringing. So, what went so wrong to make you so bitter?

Never mind. The ill never really know the origin of their illnesses. My kids (the ones you wanted to murder and rape) were never in day care, and played with the same toys you did. Yeah, hunting is the devil.

Needless to say, you come across as pretty schtupped up. You've schtupped yourself so much you're now unschtuppable by anyone else.

Thank you to those who gave their French onion soup ideas. I'll try them before I pitch them (to our cafeteria ladies, not out the window.)

Last edited by Gorio : 06-08-2010 at 05:48 PM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Giusi > wrote:

>>Try mixing in minced olive spread (battuta d'olive) and try that instead
>>of >>tartar sauce, which has its place casa mia with French fries.

> Oh my. *swoon*
>
> I love mayo/aioli and tartar sauce on fries. And I love olives. Have >
> since I was a little girl and Mom allowed us to stick them on our >
> fingertips first before eating (she was fairly strict on the table
> manners, but as she said, "you were at home").
>
> This might be as much of a "why didn't I think of that" as when I had >
> satay sauce on fries at Frites in the East Village (NYC).

I'll try that, too. My batutta is quite spicy and contains only green
olives, chili pepper and olive oil. I ate oven-baked fry-shaped thingies
with that yesterday. I hate ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 1:22*am, Gorio > wrote:
> I go through this dilemma all the time in my head. I work in a school
> with some cafeteria gals who know how to cook "old school." It drives
> them nuts that we blow money on prepackaged PB&Js and fake ribs; me
> too.There once was a day when cool vegetables, fruits, fresh bread and
> soup were offered most days.
>
> Sounds too easy.
>
> Beef stew (the kind grown by people HERE), while offering a vegetarian
> choice of a well stocked salad bar would be any easy money saver if made
> from scratch. The poeple are in place. * ADELANTE...DEGUELLO!!!
>
> It could be done cheaply, and with more options for kids. Now, I need a
> french onion soup recipe that doesn't include wine. :x

Why?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:47:14 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:
>
>> all the zero calorie half sours I could schtup.
>>
>> Kids are fatties because both parents have careers so to negate their
>> abandonment guilt they schtup their rug rats with Jeffersons

>http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schtup

Origin:
Yiddish shtupn lit., to push (in), press

>schtup verb,schtupped, schtup·ping. Slang: Vulgar.
>
>-verb (used with object)
>1.to have sexual intercourse with.
>
>-verb (used without object)
>2.to engage in sexual intercourse.
>

>You sure have some strange ideas about what goes on in families nowadays,
>and just how many pickles *did* you take up your ass at a time?
>
>Bob
>Low IQ baboon assface

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz lied:

>>> all the zero calorie half sours I could schtup.
>>>
>>> Kids are fatties because both parents have careers so to negate their
>>> abandonment guilt they schtup their rug rats with Jeffersons

>>http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schtup

> Origin:
> Yiddish shtupn lit., to push (in), press
>
>>schtup verb,schtupped, schtup·ping. Slang: Vulgar.
>>
>>-verb (used with object)
>>1.to have sexual intercourse with.
>>
>>-verb (used without object)
>>2.to engage in sexual intercourse.
>>

>>You sure have some strange ideas about what goes on in families nowadays,
>>and just how many pickles *did* you take up your ass at a time?

Was your post in Yiddish? No? Then we use the ENGLISH definition of the
word, ****face. And that says -- and YOU said -- that you stuck pickles up
your ass and you believe that parents **** their kids. If you meant
something else, you should have WRITTEN something else.

But you didn't mean anything else, did you, ya little manyouk?

Bob

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Hamilton[_2_] View Post
On Aug 5, 1:22*am, Gorio wrote:
I go through this dilemma all the time in my head. I work in a school
with some cafeteria gals who know how to cook "old school." It drives
them nuts that we blow money on prepackaged PB&Js and fake ribs; me
too.There once was a day when cool vegetables, fruits, fresh bread and
soup were offered most days.

Sounds too easy.

Beef stew (the kind grown by people HERE), while offering a vegetarian
choice of a well stocked salad bar would be any easy money saver if made
from scratch. The poeple are in place. * ADELANTE...DEGUELLO!!!

It could be done cheaply, and with more options for kids. Now, I need a
french onion soup recipe that doesn't include wine. :x

Why?

Cindy Hamilton
Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gorio" > wrote in message
> Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with
> wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think
> you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.

That lovely dark-n-deep colour is made by caramelising the onions properly.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ophelia > wrote:

>"Gorio" > wrote in message
>> Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with
>> wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think
>> you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.

>That lovely dark-n-deep colour is made by caramelising the onions properly.

Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.

Charlotte
Senior Member

Location: WI

So dark red wine doesn't add any color? I'm no chef; but I can caramelize.

I just don't want to ruffle any school district feathers when I propose that we drastically change our menu. Our cooks will caramelize just fine. I just want as many viable, cheap, yummy, nutritious recipes as I can get. My God. How many soups cost less than 10 bucks for a whole mess of the stuff. Homemade bread with some fresh fruit (not canned in syrup). Get veggies in the soup, some carbs (not 200 calories worth) in the bread (whole grain and steel cut outs would not be left our of the equation) and good sugar from the fruit.

I'm just saying: my cooks are skilled at simple, home cooking. They don't want to just heat up some leftover taco meat, smiley faced potatos, chicken "tenders", et. al. They want to cook. We could save money and better serve the kids. Everyone is happy, minus those who have been brought up on heat-n-eat junk. Make good food fashionable in the building and the kids brought up on junk will change their ways for one meal per day. Gotta start somewhere.

If I used the real apple cider that comes relatively cheap (relative to season) from local orchards; I bet we could have something great. Just too hot for me to experiment with apple cider FO soup. Dang near 80 out there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ophelia > wrote:
>>

>>"Gorio" > wrote in message
>>> Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with
>>> wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think
>>> you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.

>>That lovely dark-n-deep colour is made by caramelising the onions
>>properly.

> Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.

Nor mine. Mine says you can add a drop of brandy at the end (I don't
bother) but it doesn't have any effect on the colour'

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>>That lovely dark-n-deep colour is made by caramelising the onions
>>>properly.

>> Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.

> Nor mine. Mine says you can add a drop of brandy at the end (I don't
> bother) but it doesn't have any effect on the colour'

This went before I finished:

Many recipes do use wine, but I use stock and the flavour of the caramelized
onions is so strong you can't taste the difference.

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote about onion soup:

>>> Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.

>> Nor mine. Mine says you can add a drop of brandy at the end (I don't
>> bother) but it doesn't have any effect on the colour'

> This went before I finished:
>
> Many recipes do use wine, but I use stock and the flavour of the
> caramelized onions is so strong you can't taste the difference.

Might depend on the wine you're using. For onion soup gratinée on New Years
Eve, I used a combination of duck stock and Madeira. That will henceforth be
the standard by which all other onion soups are measured (and you *could*
taste the Madeira).

I chose Madeira in particular because its manufacture includes a cooking
step which gives it a somewhat-caramel flavor of its own, which complements
the caramelized onions *very* nicely.

Bob

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
Ophelia wrote about onion soup:

Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.

Nor mine. Mine says you can add a drop of brandy at the end (I don't
bother) but it doesn't have any effect on the colour'

This went before I finished:

Many recipes do use wine, but I use stock and the flavour of the
caramelized onions is so strong you can't taste the difference.

Might depend on the wine you're using. For onion soup gratinée on New Years
Eve, I used a combination of duck stock and Madeira. That will henceforth be
the standard by which all other onion soups are measured (and you *could*
taste the Madeira).

I chose Madeira in particular because its manufacture includes a cooking
step which gives it a somewhat-caramel flavor of its own, which complements
the caramelized onions *very* nicely.

Bob
I just reduce with beef stock and some dark, cheap: Cab.Sauv./Merlot/Shiraz. I've even done it with Chianti. I have never made it sans wine. Again, thanks for the tips.

Duck stock sounds outstanding.

I wonder what the admin. at my school might think about using wild game on a public school menu. Kids give me stuff all the time. I've got some happy hunters that would make good providers.

Last edited by Gorio : 08-08-2010 at 07:17 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2010 4:48 PM, sf wrote:
> Ha! My scratch brownies suck, so I buy a mix. Not that I make
> brownies very often.

You will find some good brownie recipes here in the group. This is my
recipe, which I think is wonderful, if I do say so myself. :-)

Brownies

4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour (or gluten-free mix)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup cooking oil
1 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze
4 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate baking squares
1/4 cup butter

Or another glaze

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter or shortening

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla, then whisk in the sugar, baking
powder and salt.

In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder and cooking oil and stir until the
mixture is smooth. Add the cocoa powder to the large bowl and stir to
blend.

Add the flour and stir until incorporated, then stir in the nuts. Bake
for 22-25 minutes then cool on a wire rack.

To make the glaze, add the ingredients to a microwave safe bowl, heat
for about 1 minute, then stir until the chocolate has melted and the
mixture is smooth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ema Nymton > wrote:

> Brownies
>
> 4 large eggs
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 2 cups granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 cups flour (or gluten-free mix)
> 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
> 2/3 cup cooking oil
> 1 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Glaze
> 4 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate baking squares
> 1/4 cup butter
>
> Or another glaze
>
> 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
> 2 tablespoons butter or shortening

[snipped directions]

You're making me hungry, and I haven't had breakfast yet!

These are low calorie, aren't they?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 10:32:52 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> You will find some good brownie recipes here in the group. This is my
> recipe, which I think is wonderful, if I do say so myself. :-)

Thanks! I've never liked any brownie I've made from scratch. One
thing I do know now is that I prefer my brownies seriously under baked
so they are real fudge brownies and not cakelike at all.

> Brownies
>
> 1 1/2 cups flour (or gluten-free mix)

Becca, would you please post your gluten free mix recipe?

TIA

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Thanks! I've never liked any brownie I've made from scratch. One
> thing I do know now is that I prefer my brownies seriously under baked
> so they are real fudge brownies and not cakelike at all.

They're cake like when they have more egg in them.
I prefer fudgy brownies myself, but not underbaked brownies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gorio wrote:

> 'Bob Terwilliger[_1_ Wrote:
>
> >;1515971']Ophelia wrote about onion soup:
> >---
> >Yeah, the recipes I've had don't use wine.-
> >
> >Nor mine. Mine says you can add a drop of brandy at the end (I don't
> >bother) but it doesn't have any effect on the colour'-
> >
> >This went before I finished:
> >
> >Many recipes do use wine, but I use stock and the flavour of the
> >caramelized onions is so strong you can't taste the difference.-
> >
> >Might depend on the wine you're using. For onion soup gratinée on New
> >Years
> >Eve, I used a combination of duck stock and Madeira. That will
> >henceforth be
> >the standard by which all other onion soups are measured (and you
> >*could*
> >taste the Madeira).
> >
> >I chose Madeira in particular because its manufacture includes a cooking
> >
> >step which gives it a somewhat-caramel flavor of its own, which
> >complements
> >the caramelized onions *very* nicely.
> >
> >Bob

> I just reduce with beef stock and some dark, cheap:
> Cab.Sauv./Merlot/Shiraz. I've even done it with Chianti. I have never
> made it sans wine. Again, thanks for the tips.
>
> Duck stock sounds outstanding.
>
> I wonder what the admin. at my school might think about using wild game
> on a public school menu. Kids give me stuff all the time. I've got some
> happy hunters that would make good providers.

Do people still use buck shot to hunt birds and if so remeber how easy
it is to break a tooth on one little over looked pellet.

Also a lot of people unfamiiar with the gameyness of game birds are
often put off by it.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL[_3_] View Post
Gorio wrote:

'Bob Terwilliger[_1_ Wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough, I think most in this neck are adapted to such ways of eating. I learned my lesson (on me) and clean those suckers out. Why can' t our ground beef be ground deer? No shot in that. Add some fat (OO, or SO) and let 'er rip!!

Last edited by Gorio : 09-08-2010 at 03:21 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 12:50*pm, Gorio > wrote:
> 'Cindy Hamilton[_2_ Wrote:
>

> > ;1515102']On Aug 5, 1:22*am, Gorio
> > wrote:-
> > I go through this dilemma all the time in my head. I work in a school
> > with some cafeteria gals who know how to cook "old school." It drives
> > them nuts that we blow money on prepackaged PB&Js and fake ribs; me
> > too.There once was a day when cool vegetables, fruits, fresh bread and
> > soup were offered most days.

> > Sounds too easy.

> > Beef stew (the kind grown by people HERE), while offering a vegetarian
> > choice of a well stocked salad bar would be any easy money saver if
> > made
> > from scratch. The poeple are in place. * ADELANTE...DEGUELLO!!!

> > It could be done cheaply, and with more options for kids. Now, I need
> > french onion soup recipe that doesn't include wine. :x-

> > Why?

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Oh, heaven forbid, the powers that be would never condone cooking with
> wine for school lunch. Apple cider is cheaper anyway. I still think
> you'd be lacking that lovely dark-n-deep color.
>
> --
> Gorio

Sorry; I'd lost track of the school cafeteria involvement.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Sorry; I'd lost track of the school cafeteria involvement.

If school cafeterias in my district cooked their own food, I'd fall
over in a dead faint. It arrived prepackaged and looking just as
horrible as ever.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.