Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nancy Silverton Goes Semi-Homemade

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 03:45:27 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Charlotte wrote:
>
>> Burros has a number of books. What's the specific title on that one?

>The full title is _20-Minute Menus, Timewise Recipes & Strategic Plans For
>Freshly-Cooked Meals Every DAy_.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C4SS76

I don't see any more shipping from Amazon. There are several new and
used from Amazon sellers starting at $5.50 plus $4 shipping. I just
ordered on that is advertised as in "very good" condition.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 2:00*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> >dsi1 wrote:

> >> I'm likely to be more annoying than combative most times. What's annoying
> >> to me is someone criticizing me for saying I don't have much time to spend
> >> on cooking.

> >I think what we have here is a misunderstanding. The Marcella Hazan quote
> >was a bit of hyperbole, and what Giusi was trying to impart were these two
> >points which seem to have been lost:

> >1. Cooking is important. (This is a gross simplification; much more could be
> >written detailing the reasons *why* cooking is important, but that's the
> >conclusion at the end of the argument.) That is the entire meaning of the
> >quote from Hazan; that cooking is so important that it holds equal standing
> >with hygiene. Of course, nobody REALLY thinks that way; that's what makes it
> >hyperbole.

> All the same with the last, people really should avoid using that
> sort of language. *It's not true, not funny, passes the "a reasonable
> person would think this is out of line" test, doesn't further discussion,
> etc. etc. etc. * If you (generic) can't make your point in a
> discussion group without this sort of ad homineum, you (generic) should STFU. *
>
> >2. Cooking doesn't have to be time-consuming. One thing which threw me off
> >is your statement that a spaghetti dinner takes 3 hours to make. Then you
> >reversed yourself and stated that the last time you *made pasta you just
> >added butter and cheese. So you were already in agreement with the fact that
> >it doesn't have to take 3 hours.

> My marinara sauce, inspired by Pam Anderson's extremely valuable "How to
> Cook Without A Book", can be done start-finish in 30 minutes depending on
> what I put in it. * (e.g. dried funghi will take longer because of
> reconstitution time) *I start the pasta water boiling when I start the
> process, seriously, it is that fast. *I can let it simmer for a while
> longer if it suits me, though. *
>
> The MAGIC PANTRY INGREDIENT is ... drum roll please ... a big can of
> crushed tomatoes. * *You could probably approximate if you had other toms
> and a FP/blender by whizzing them around first. *
>
> I usually use Muir Glen. *One other brand (Progresso?) came in for Good
> Taste Praise. *

Six-In-One is the only tomato product that matters*

*Hyperbole, hopefully inoffensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte wrote:

>> That is the entire meaning of the quote from Hazan; that cooking is so
>> important that it holds equal standing with hygiene. Of course, nobody
>> REALLY thinks that way; that's what makes it hyperbole.

> All the same with the last, people really should avoid using that
> sort of language. It's not true, not funny, passes the "a reasonable
> person would think this is out of line" test, doesn't further discussion,
> etc. etc. etc. If you (generic) can't make your point in a
> discussion group without this sort of ad homineum, you (generic) should
> STFU.

In the first place, Hazan wasn't addressing this forum when she said that if
you don't have time to cook you don't have time to bathe.

In the second place, it's not an ad hominem. It's a simple statement of the
value she places on cooking, and a comparison of the time it takes to
prepare a simple meal against the time it takes to bathe. It takes me about
10 minutes from the moment I get up to the moment I step out of the shower.
I can cook an egg in less than half that amount of time. (If I had an
induction stove it would be even quicker!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:39:23 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2:00*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
> > In article >,
> >

> > I usually use Muir Glen. *One other brand (Progresso?) came in for Good
> > Taste Praise. *
> >

> Six-In-One is the only tomato product that matters*
>
> *Hyperbole, hopefully inoffensive.

Six-in-One is certainly more widely available.... and I like it too.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Charlotte wrote:
>
>>> That is the entire meaning of the quote from Hazan; that cooking is
>>> so>>> important that it holds equal standing with hygiene. Of course,
>>> nobody
>>> REALLY thinks that way; that's what makes it hyperbole.

>> All the same with the last, people really should avoid using that>> sort
>> of language. It's not true, not funny, passes the "a reasonable
>> person would think this is out of line" test, doesn't further
>> discussion,>> etc. etc. etc. If you (generic) can't make your point in
>> discussion group without this sort of ad homineum, you (generic) should
>> STFU.

> In the first place, Hazan wasn't addressing this forum when she said that
> if
> you don't have time to cook you don't have time to bathe.
>
> In the second place, it's not an ad hominem. It's a simple statement of
> the> value she places on cooking, and a comparison of the time it takes to
> prepare a simple meal against the time it takes to bathe. It takes me
> about> 10 minutes from the moment I get up to the moment I step out of the
> shower.
> I can cook an egg in less than half that amount of time. (If I had an
> induction stove it would be even quicker!)

I can't even see arguing this, which is why I haven't looked at the thread.
What you put in your mouth is pretty damned desperately important. The only
way you can be sure of what that is is by knowing how to get and prepare
food. Babies have to depend on their parents for this. If you leave this
huge responsibility to manufacturers, you will end up looking like you
belong on that Walmart "fashion" page and you will feel like secondhand
goods.

There are Indian religious figures who stand outside through all seasons
never bathing. They do not die from this. But they must eat or they will
die.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:14:52 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:39:23 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 7, 2:00*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>>

>>> I usually use Muir Glen. *One other brand (Progresso?) came in for Good
>>> Taste Praise. *
>>>

>> Six-In-One is the only tomato product that matters*
>>
>> *Hyperbole, hopefully inoffensive.

> Six-in-One is certainly more widely available.... and I like it too.

for those of you as baffled as i was, apparently they're talking about
this:

<http://www.escalon.net/6in1.aspx>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> I could make a spaghetti dinner from scratch but my
> guess is that it would take about 3 hours - the idea of spending that
> amount of time on spaghetti makes me cringe. OTOH, I could really go for
> a meatball for breakfast. :-)

Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
convenient sizes and freeze it. That's probably what we're having
for dinner tonight. (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
frozen.)

Much better than anything from a jar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > I could make a spaghetti dinner from scratch but my
> > guess is that it would take about 3 hours - the idea of spending that
> > amount of time on spaghetti makes me cringe. OTOH, I could really go for
> > a meatball for breakfast. :-)

> Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
> convenient sizes and freeze it. That's probably what we're having
> for dinner tonight. (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
> frozen.)
>
> Much better than anything from a jar.

That works only if he has the space to store it. I don't have a stand
alone freezer anymore, so it doesn't work for me.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2010 9:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, > wrote:
>
>> I could make a spaghetti dinner from scratch but my
>> guess is that it would take about 3 hours - the idea of spending that
>> amount of time on spaghetti makes me cringe. OTOH, I could really go for
>> a meatball for breakfast. :-)

> Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
> convenient sizes and freeze it. That's probably what we're having
> for dinner tonight. (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
> frozen.)
>
> Much better than anything from a jar.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I think it's a good idea. I know that some people will do this but I've
never prepared food to eat at a later date. I'm not sure why - it seems
like a smart thing to do. Well, I guess that's the reason...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 6:14*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 8/9/2010 9:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
> > convenient sizes and freeze it. *That's probably what we're having
> > for dinner tonight. * (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
> > frozen.)

> I think it's a good idea. I know that some people will do this but I've
> never prepared food to eat at a later date. I'm not sure why - it seems
> like a smart thing to do. Well, I guess that's the reason...

A certain few things, like tomato sauce with meat, taste better the
next day. So if you're messing up the kitchen preparing one meal, you
might want to set up the next day's meal and wash everything at once.

When I was single, sometines when I got home from work, starving, I
would snack so much while I was cooking that I would no longer be
hungry by the time supper was ready. Then I automatically had meals
for the next couple of days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2010 5:42 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Aug 9, 6:14 pm, > wrote:
>> On 8/9/2010 9:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
>>> convenient sizes and freeze it. That's probably what we're having
>>> for dinner tonight. (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
>>> frozen.)

>> I think it's a good idea. I know that some people will do this but I've
>> never prepared food to eat at a later date. I'm not sure why - it seems
>> like a smart thing to do. Well, I guess that's the reason...

> A certain few things, like tomato sauce with meat, taste better the
> next day. So if you're messing up the kitchen preparing one meal, you
> might want to set up the next day's meal and wash everything at once.
>
> When I was single, sometines when I got home from work, starving, I
> would snack so much while I was cooking that I would no longer be
> hungry by the time supper was ready. Then I automatically had meals
> for the next couple of days.

I like leftovers. They're tasty and you can eat fast by just sticking it
in the micro. I've been working on some meatballs with mushroom gravy
and mash potatoes for the last couple of days. The great thing about
this is that the rest of the family apparently does not grasp the
concept of taking stuff out of the refrigerator and heating it up. I'm
the only one that gets to eat my surplus meal preparations. That almost
makes me feel special. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 4:56*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> > > I could make a spaghetti dinner from scratch but my
> > > guess is that it would take about 3 hours - the idea of spending that
> > > amount of time on spaghetti makes me cringe. OTOH, I could really go for
> > > a meatball for breakfast. :-)

> > Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
> > convenient sizes and freeze it. *That's probably what we're having
> > for dinner tonight. * (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
> > frozen.)

> > Much better than anything from a jar.

> That works only if he has the space to store it. *I don't have a stand
> alone freezer anymore, so it doesn't work for me.

I don't exactly have a standalone freezer, either. But the beer
fridge
in the basement has a freezer. It wouldn't take a half a cow, but
a few quarts of spaghetti sauce is no problem.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Aug 9, 4:56 pm, sf > wrote:

>>> Spend the three hours on the weekend, then portion the sauce into
>>> convenient sizes and freeze it. That's probably what we're having
>>> for dinner tonight. (Or else chili similarly made in bulk and
>>> frozen.)

>>> Much better than anything from a jar.

>> That works only if he has the space to store it. I don't have a stand
>> alone freezer anymore, so it doesn't work for me.

> I don't exactly have a standalone freezer, either. But the beer
> fridge
> in the basement has a freezer. It wouldn't take a half a cow, but
> a few quarts of spaghetti sauce is no problem.

I have plenty of room in my freezer, my refrigerator is a side by side,
There is more than enough room for all my ice and trays, lots
of meat, containers of sauce, vegetables and ice cream. It
only becomes strained if I have too much bread in there.

nancy
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi1[_9_] View Post
On Aug 9, 6:14 pm, wrote:
[...]

Mee, too. This is why I love to make things that are especially great as leftovers. Lasagna, ribs, etc. are perfect the day after. Rice and beans stay well for a good amount of time in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 3:03*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Giusi" > wrote:
> > I marvel at how the bride has been handed the responsibility for feeding the
> > couple. *Learning how to feed themselves could be a great bonding experience
> > after all. *Loads of the posters here are men who do the family cooking.

> * *Actually, I don't have a problem with the bride being handed the
> responsibility for the meals, what amazes me is that she is being handed
> it with little or no training on how to do so. *It used to be that men
> and women were taught the skills to keep house and support each other,
> but now they are not prepared for marriage or housekeeping or even how
> to court and find a spouse. *We teach them to plan for college and a
> career, but that finding a spouse, running a household and raising
> children will be things that just fall into place with little
> forethought or planning. *It is that lack of planning and teaching that
> troubles me.

My mother never married. It would have been difficult for her to
teach
me anything about finding a spouse or being married. My grandparents
had a crappy marriage, so I suppose I could have looked at it as
"What not to do". My first marriage went down the tubes after four
years, but the second one has lasted more than 20.

Still, Mom routinely took me to the grocery store and made sure
I knew how to shop, balance a checkbook, and all that stuff. Since
she was (and still is) single, we also had to do all of our own
routine maintenance on the house. My grandfather would come
over and do anything that was beyond us. There wasn't any
"women's work" when I was growing up, and there isn't any in my
marriage now. (DH is the youngest of five boys, and his
mother made sure they all could cook, clean, and sew on a
button. He owned a garage-sale sewing machine when we met,
and still sews stuff when he wants to.)

I've no idea what 20-year-olds are like now. Apparently all
they can do is text each other and phone for pizza.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 12:49*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *dsi1 > wrote:
> > I think it's a good idea. I know that some people will do this but I've
> > never prepared food to eat at a later date.

> * *My goal is to double at least one meal each week and freeze the
> second for the future. *I don't always get it done, but it provides us
> with a little cushion for nights that we don't have the time/energy/mind
> power to put a meal together while still providing home made, nourishing
> food.

After some 40 years of cooking for either three or four people, when
the last child left the house my grandmother was unable to cook for
just two. So she continued to cook for four, freezing half of every
meal to be consumed when she didn't feel like cooking. They bought one
of the smallest chest freezers, storing it in the laundry room,
labelling and dating each meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Aug 10, 3:03*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> *"Giusi" > wrote:
>>> I marvel at how the bride has been handed the responsibility for feeding the
>>> couple. *Learning how to feed themselves could be a great bonding experience
>>> after all. *Loads of the posters here are men who do the family cooking.

>> * *Actually, I don't have a problem with the bride being handed the
>> responsibility for the meals, what amazes me is that she is being handed
>> it with little or no training on how to do so. *It used to be that men
>> and women were taught the skills to keep house and support each other,
>> but now they are not prepared for marriage or housekeeping or even how
>> to court and find a spouse. *We teach them to plan for college and a
>> career, but that finding a spouse, running a household and raising
>> children will be things that just fall into place with little
>> forethought or planning. *It is that lack of planning and teaching that
>> troubles me.

> My mother never married. It would have been difficult for her to
> teach
> me anything about finding a spouse or being married. My grandparents
> had a crappy marriage, so I suppose I could have looked at it as
> "What not to do". My first marriage went down the tubes after four
> years, but the second one has lasted more than 20.

if we follow the math here, your next marriage should last more than 100!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 2:50*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Aug 10, 3:03*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> > wrote:

> >> * *Actually, I don't have a problem with the bride being handed the
> >> responsibility for the meals, what amazes me is that she is being handed
> >> it with little or no training on how to do so. *It used to be that men
> >> and women were taught the skills to keep house and support each other,
> >> but now they are not prepared for marriage or housekeeping or even how
> >> to court and find a spouse. *We teach them to plan for college and a
> >> career, but that finding a spouse, running a household and raising
> >> children will be things that just fall into place with little
> >> forethought or planning. *It is that lack of planning and teaching that
> >> troubles me.

> > My mother never married. *It would have been difficult for her to
> > teach
> > me anything about finding a spouse or being married. *My grandparents
> > had a crappy marriage, so I suppose I could have looked at it as
> > "What not to do". *My first marriage went down the tubes after four
> > years, but the second one has lasted more than 20.

> if we follow the math here, your next marriage should last more than 100!

Well, I don't plan on having another one. I consider my current
husband to be irreplaceable.

Still, if anything happens to him, I'd be happy to consider your
application for the position.

Cindy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:27:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2:50*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> My mother never married. *It would have been difficult for her to
>>> teach
>>> me anything about finding a spouse or being married. *My grandparents
>>> had a crappy marriage, so I suppose I could have looked at it as
>>> "What not to do". *My first marriage went down the tubes after four
>>> years, but the second one has lasted more than 20.

>> if we follow the math here, your next marriage should last more than 100!

> Well, I don't plan on having another one. I consider my current
> husband to be irreplaceable.
>
> Still, if anything happens to him, I'd be happy to consider your
> application for the position.
>
> Cindy

well, it wasn't exactly an application, but what the hell, i'm not real
busy at the moment.

your pal,
blake