Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garlic shortage may be looming

Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382

I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
corn prices through the roof.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 12:41*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>
> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
> several perfect heads of garlic in it. *I imagine that
> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. *

Sure didn't help the Canadian ones anyway.

>Now, we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
> corn prices through the roof.

Note to self: Go to local garlic festival and pick up a couple of
braids.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 2:12*pm, John Kane > wrote:

> Note to self: Go to local garlic festival and pick up a couple of
> braids.

How do you plan to store it and how long will it 'last'?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2:12 pm, John Kane > wrote:
>
> > Note to self: Go to local garlic festival and pick up a couple of
> > braids.

> How do you plan to store it and how long will it 'last'?

My mom grows them and hangs them from the rafters
in her garage. They keep well until the next year's
crop come in. She grows the hard-stem variety. I'm not
sure the more common soft-stem variety keeps that well.
Braided garlic is soft-stem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>
> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
> several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
> we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
> corn prices through the roof.

Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>>
>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>>
>> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
>> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
>> several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
>> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
>> we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
>> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
>> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
>> corn prices through the roof.

> Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
> doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
> then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.

Not to mention being grown in a much less polluted country.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 2:35*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.

> >http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382

> > I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
> > For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
> > several perfect heads of garlic in it. *I imagine that
> > must have been devastating to U.S. producers. *Now,
> > we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
> > NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
> > Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
> > corn prices through the roof.

> Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. *Looks great but
> doesn't taste like anything. *NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
> then slap you round the head with it. *Now we're talking.

I was running out of my Garlic World granulated garlic, so I picked up
some when I stopped at Penzey's.

Big mistake. While my Garlic World stuff would punch you in the face
when you opened the jar, the Penzey's was quieter than a mouse fart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>
> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.

I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your own
garlic in pots on the patio.

Jill

Senior Member

Location: WI

[quote='jmcquown[_2_];1512819']"Mark Thorson" wrote in message
Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382

I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.

I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your own
garlic in pots on the patio.

Not to mention quality. That Chinese stuff is weak. Buy American, Canadian or Mexican. My local Mex mart has the little hard neck heads that have good strong flavor.

Nice and easy to grow, too. Try hard neck varieties. Perfect time to plant coming in fall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>
> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
> several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
> we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
> corn prices through the roof.

I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
bit late in the year to start it. Anyone?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>>
>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>>
>> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.

> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your own
> garlic in pots on the patio.
>
> Jill

How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring
it inside for the winter.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>>>
>>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>>>
>>> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.

>> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your own
>> garlic in pots on the patio.
>>
>> Jill

> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it inside
> for the winter.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I used a 12 inch round terra cotta pot. Garlic sprouts from the cloves.
Ever see the green stems growing out of an old bulb of garlic? Some people
think that's "old" and inedible. It's not inedible, but it *is* the clove
trying to reproduce. Stick one or two of those cloves in a pot with potting
soil and give it plenty of water with good drainage and access to sunlight.
The plant will flower (cute). Then it will produce a bulb of garlic all on
it's own. And yes, you can bring it inside.

You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.

http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2010 5:53 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>>>
>>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>>>
>>> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.

>> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your
>> own garlic in pots on the patio.
>>
>> Jill

> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it
> inside for the winter.

Not Jill but you leave it out for the winter or at least until it
freezes. Garlic when propagated using bulbs is like other bulbs and
needs freezing to "activate" it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your
>>> own garlic in pots on the patio.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it
>> inside for the winter.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I used a 12 inch round terra cotta pot. Garlic sprouts from the cloves.
> Ever see the green stems growing out of an old bulb of garlic? Some
> people think that's "old" and inedible. It's not inedible, but it *is*
> the clove trying to reproduce. Stick one or two of those cloves in a
> pot with potting soil and give it plenty of water with good drainage and
> access to sunlight. The plant will flower (cute). Then it will produce
> a bulb of garlic all on it's own. And yes, you can bring it inside.
>
> You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html
>
> Jill

Oh, yes. I have read about garlic propagation and thought I would
try it. It sounds like the time might be now--what with a
possible shortage, and the fact that I don't want to buy garlic
from China. It also is sometimes hard to find bulbs with nice
firm cloves.

As for ginger, it would work better if I remembered to water it,
I'm sure. And one problem I have is that if I have indoor plants
the cats have to be protected from the ones that could make them
sick or kill them, and the plants also need to be protected from
marauding cats.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> On 8/2/2010 5:53 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your
>>> own garlic in pots on the patio.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it
>> inside for the winter.
>>

> Not Jill but you leave it out for the winter or at least until it
> freezes. Garlic when propagated using bulbs is like other bulbs and
> needs freezing to "activate" it.

That must be the origin of my thought re its being too late this
year. Hmm. I will need to look into the minimum time it needs to
freeze.

Oh, wait a minute. What about the place in California that has a
garlic festival. Gilroy? Would anything freeze there?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 5:52*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
> bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?
>
> --
> Jean B.

I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
garlic.

Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
http://www.thegarlicstore.com

This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
use fresh garlic almost every day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 7:44*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> George wrote:

> >> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it
> >> inside for the winter.

> > Not Jill but you leave it out for the winter or at least until it
> > freezes. Garlic when propagated using bulbs is like other bulbs and
> > needs freezing to "activate" it.

> That must be the origin of my thought re its being too late this
> year. *Hmm. *I will need to look into the minimum time it needs to
> freeze.
>
> Oh, wait a minute. *What about the place in California that has a
> garlic festival. *Gilroy? *Would anything freeze there?

Some sites talk about "chilling" rather than freezing, but the UC
Davis coop extension fact sheets say nothing about chilling
requirements for garlic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:53:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html
>
> Jill

ginger root is expensive if you look at the per-pound price, but how much
do you use in one dish? maybe a nickel's worth?

your pal,
blake
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Hamilton[_2_] View Post
On Aug 2, 5:52*pm, "Jean B." wrote:

I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?

--
Jean B.

I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
garlic.

Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
The Garlic Store - certified organic garlic grown only in the U.S.A.

This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
use fresh garlic almost every day.

Cindy Hamilton
I like to have at least two kinds of gralic in my pots. The Georgian kind that is knock-your-socks-off hot and some other, weaker stuff, that preserves well. I don't even remember what kind my "storage" garlic is. The Gerogian stuff makes a memorable statement. Combined with good tomato, cilantro and fresh lime juice, it makes the ultimate purist's salsa, IMHO.

If you don't wish to braid what you have, preserve the peeled cloves in some kind of oil. I've been using light sunflower oil since olive oil is a bit pricey. I would like to try preserving a bunch in ghee next time around, or maybe bacon fat or lard. Mmmm. If you didn't grow any, now might be the perfect time to stock up and preserve. EZ beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Aug 2, 5:52 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
>> bit late in the year to start it. Anyone?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
> Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
> between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
> garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
> my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
> crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
> core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
> garlic.
>
> Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
> garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
> http://www.thegarlicstore.com
>
> This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
> pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
> use fresh garlic almost every day.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Is there some advantage to buying seed garlic as vs just using
something from the store?

I asked a friend who does a lot of vegetable gardening a similar
question about potatoes. He said he just used normal potatoes.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:44 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> George wrote:
>>> Not Jill but you leave it out for the winter or at least until it
>>> freezes. Garlic when propagated using bulbs is like other bulbs and
>>> needs freezing to "activate" it.

>> That must be the origin of my thought re its being too late this
>> year. Hmm. I will need to look into the minimum time it needs to
>> freeze.
>>
>> Oh, wait a minute. What about the place in California that has a
>> garlic festival. Gilroy? Would anything freeze there?
>>

> Some sites talk about "chilling" rather than freezing, but the UC
> Davis coop extension fact sheets say nothing about chilling
> requirements for garlic.

Sounds like experimentation is in order.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 3, 9:07*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Aug 2, 5:52 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> >> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
> >> bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. *Here in
> > Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
> > between late June and mid July. *I must've got 50 heads of
> > garlic this year. *I planted extra to give away, but I expect
> > my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. *Last year's
> > crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
> > core in the middle by that point. *Still better than store-bought
> > garlic.

> > Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
> > garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
> >http://www.thegarlicstore.com

> > This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
> > pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. *We
> > use fresh garlic almost every day.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Is there some advantage to buying seed garlic as vs just using
> something from the store?

I found a good data sheet from Oregon. Garlic to be sold in stores is
stored at 32 F , which creates problems when planted:

"Garlic for seed purposes should not be stored under refrigeration.
Optimum storage temperature for garlic for seed is 50 F with a
humidity of 65-70%. Garlic cloves sprout most rapidly between 40 to 50
F, hence prolonged storage at this temperature range should be
avoided. Storage of planting stock at temperatures below 40 F result
in rough bulbs, side-shoot sprouting (witches-brooming) and early
maturity, while storage above 65 F results in delayed sprouting and
late maturity".

http://nwrec.hort.oregonstate.edu/garlic.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 3, 12:07*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Aug 2, 5:52 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> >> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
> >> bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. *Here in
> > Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
> > between late June and mid July. *I must've got 50 heads of
> > garlic this year. *I planted extra to give away, but I expect
> > my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. *Last year's
> > crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
> > core in the middle by that point. *Still better than store-bought
> > garlic.

> > Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
> > garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
> >http://www.thegarlicstore.com

> > This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
> > pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. *We
> > use fresh garlic almost every day.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Is there some advantage to buying seed garlic as vs just using
> something from the store?

You can grow more interesting varieties. Like most grocery-store
vegetables, garlic is optimized for shipment, storage, and
uniformity.

I also like to grow heirloom tomatoes rather than Big Boy and
Early Girl.

I suppose I could save some of my homegrown garlic and re-plant
it. But it's hard to convince myself to take the biggest, best
cloves and not eat them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 06:37:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
> garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
> http://www.thegarlicstore.com
>
> This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
> pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
> use fresh garlic almost every day.

I think the secret is to buy seed garlic. I plant garlic that has
sprouted on me and although it gets a green top, not much happens
below ground.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:10:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> I suppose I could save some of my homegrown garlic and re-plant
> it. But it's hard to convince myself to take the biggest, best
> cloves and not eat them.

I wouldn't need to be convinced at $10 per half pound.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:04:19 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Aug 3, 9:07*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. *Here in
>> > Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
>> > between late June and mid July. *I must've got 50 heads of
>> > garlic this year. *I planted extra to give away, but I expect
>> > my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. *Last year's
>> > crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
>> > core in the middle by that point. *Still better than store-bought
>> > garlic.

>> > Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
>> > garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
>> >http://www.thegarlicstore.com

>> > This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
>> > pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. *We
>> > use fresh garlic almost every day.

>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Is there some advantage to buying seed garlic as vs just using
>> something from the store?
>>

>I found a good data sheet from Oregon. Garlic to be sold in stores is
>stored at 32 F , which creates problems when planted:
>
>"Garlic for seed purposes should not be stored under refrigeration.
>Optimum storage temperature for garlic for seed is 50 F with a
>humidity of 65-70%. Garlic cloves sprout most rapidly between 40 to 50
>F, hence prolonged storage at this temperature range should be
>avoided. Storage of planting stock at temperatures below 40 F result
>in rough bulbs, side-shoot sprouting (witches-brooming) and early
>maturity, while storage above 65 F results in delayed sprouting and
>late maturity".
>
>http://nwrec.hort.oregonstate.edu/garlic.html

Mo
http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-101.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Oh, wait a minute. What about the place in California that has a
> garlic festival. Gilroy? Would anything freeze there?

Yes, it is Gilroy. We do get freezing temperatures
every winter, but it's been maybe 20 years since we had
a really hard freeze. That was when the pine trees were
weakened and they were then attacked by pine borer beetles
that spread a fungus which killed many of them.

I've noticed the weather has become much milder over the
years. I can't remember the last 100+ degree day.
Back in the 1970's, we would get some 100+ degree days
every summer, and in a hot summer we sometimes would have
a whole week of 100+ days.

It used to be that at least once every winter we'd have wind
strong enough to blow out the pilot light of my water heater.
The winter before last was the first in 30 years when that
did not happen, and last winter it only was blown out once.

By the way, I checked garlic pricing today, and you can still
buy a sock of five garlic heads for $0.99, so the price
increase has not hit our shores yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:51:35 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:53:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.
>>
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html
>>
>> Jill

>ginger root is expensive if you look at the per-pound price, but how much
>do you use in one dish? maybe a nickel's worth?
>
>your pal,
>blake

What does ginger sell for in your area?
Around here (Southern Ontario, Canada) Asian groceries have beautiful
firm ginger anywhere from $0.99 to $1.49 per lb. At regular
supermarkets it's sometimes the same price or very little more.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:57:57 +0000, Gorio
> wrote:

>'Cindy Hamilton[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1513568']On Aug 2, 5:52*pm, "Jean B." wrote:
>> -
>> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
>> bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.-
>>
>> I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
>> Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
>> between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
>> garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
>> my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
>> crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
>> core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
>> garlic.
>>
>> Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
>> garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
>> 'The Garlic Store - certified organic garlic grown only in the U.S.A.'
>> (http://www.thegarlicstore.com)
>>
>> This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
>> pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
>> use fresh garlic almost every day.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I like to have at least two kinds of gralic in my pots. The Georgian
>kind that is knock-your-socks-off hot and some other, weaker stuff, that
>preserves well. I don't even remember what kind my "storage" garlic is.
>The Gerogian stuff makes a memorable statement. Combined with good
>tomato, cilantro and fresh lime juice, it makes the ultimate purist's
>salsa, IMHO.
>
>If you don't wish to braid what you have, preserve the peeled cloves in
>some kind of oil. I've been using light sunflower oil since olive oil is
>a bit pricey. I would like to try preserving a bunch in ghee next time
>around, or maybe bacon fat or lard. Mmmm. If you didn't grow any, now
>might be the perfect time to stock up and preserve. EZ beans.

Not really a good idea. I won't belabor the pont, just check
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...ic-ail-eng.php

Ross.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross@home View Post

(
[...]

It's Your Health - Garlic-in-oil

Ross.
JEEZ! I just used some that's been in the fridge for a few months. I'm still alive, though. I think I'll still can some that I got from Mexi-mart. I think it'll go beyond a week. I'm a chancy guy. Botulism is no joke, though. Even if it doesn't kill you, you'll wish you were dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:48:05 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:51:35 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:53:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.
>>>
>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html
>>>
>>> Jill

>>ginger root is expensive if you look at the per-pound price, but how much
>>do you use in one dish? maybe a nickel's worth?
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> What does ginger sell for in your area?
> Around here (Southern Ontario, Canada) Asian groceries have beautiful
> firm ginger anywhere from $0.99 to $1.49 per lb. At regular
> supermarkets it's sometimes the same price or very little more.
>
> Ross.

o.k., i was speaking of my regular grocer, where the price (from memory) is
at least $2.99 a pound. might be more. but a piece the size of my thumb
is maybe ten cents.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ala Ala is offline

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
>>
>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
>>
>> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
>> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
>> several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
>> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
>> we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
>> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
>> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
>> corn prices through the roof.

> Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
> doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
> then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.

I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

Except for a few years ago I saw elephant garlic which had to be the dullest
garlic I've ever tasted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/10/2010 06:59 PM, Ala wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message

>> Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
>> doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
>> then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.
>>

> I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

Our store always has the source listed on the price sign. I only buy
California garlic.

> Except for a few years ago I saw elephant garlic which had to be the
> dullest garlic I've ever tasted

Oh, I love the stuff. It makes a wonderful roasted-garlic spread.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: 5 Steps to Creating Your Own Mom Food Project
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ala Ala is offline

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 08/10/2010 06:59 PM, Ala wrote:
>>
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
>>> doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
>>> then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.
>>>

>> I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

> Our store always has the source listed on the price sign. I only buy
> California garlic.
>

>> Except for a few years ago I saw elephant garlic which had to be the
>> dullest garlic I've ever tasted

> Oh, I love the stuff. It makes a wonderful roasted-garlic spread.
>
> Serene
>
> --

Weirdly I haven't seen it in about ten or more years since I first tried it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ala" > wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> >> Prices of garlic in China are skyrocketing.
> >>
> >> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../02/2003479382
> >>
> >> I remember when Chinese garlic first hit the market here.
> >> For $0.99 you could buy something like a stock with
> >> several perfect heads of garlic in it. I imagine that
> >> must have been devastating to U.S. producers. Now,
> >> we may face a situation like the Mexican corn farmers.
> >> NAFTA made it possible for cheap U.S. corn to put the
> >> Mexican corn farmers out of business, then ethanol sent
> >> corn prices through the roof.

> > Chinese garlic is cheap here but I never buy it. Looks great but
> > doesn't taste like anything. NZ garlic will rip your tongue off and
> > then slap you round the head with it. Now we're talking.
> >

> I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

The good ones here do.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in news:micheinnz-3D6C5A.15582311082010
@news.itconsult.net:

>> I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

> The good ones here do.
>
> Miche

All our supermarkets do, as well. I think it's now 'law' that they have to
show the provenace of the produce they sell.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says... W T F ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ala > wrote:

>I;ve never seen any store distinguish the source.

Well, I was at a store and they had large boxes saying "California
Garlic" filled with garlic so I bought some. Of course, it
could be a sham. I'm a sucker.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:06:26 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:
>
> Our store always has the source listed on the price sign. I only buy
> California garlic.

Lucky you! I haven't noticed sources posted for the garlic I buy...
most of it is blah so I'm thinking: It has to be Chinese. There was a
phase when it seemed like all the garlic I bought had little to no
taste, a green core and sprouted as soon as it could. Fresh garlic is
a little better now. At least it doesn't have a green core and sprout
immediately anymore - but it still isn't as strong as it should be.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:14:23 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:34:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >At least it doesn't have a green core and sprout
> >immediately anymore - but it still isn't as strong as it should be.
> >
> >--

> If it is the current season, and fairly new garlic, it won't be as
> strong. If it is strong, then chances are that it is older.... Also
> depends on what kind of garlic it is.. Different types have different
> strengths. There are some that are noticeably stronger than others,
> no matter what, depending on their type.
>
> I read somewhere recently that there are several hundred types of
> garlic...

I was going by what Miche said... no garlic I've ever encountered is
that strong to me!

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 04:23:55 GMT, "Peterl."
> wrote:

> I think it's now 'law' that they have to
> show the provenace of the produce they sell.

GOOD!

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.