Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

Default Germany considers tax on the obese.

On Jul 25, 6:07*am, walt tonne > wrote:
> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>
> About time somebody made the move.

I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
supermarket.
Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:18:13 -0700 (PDT), walt tonne
> wrote:

>On Jul 25, 6:07*am, walt tonne > wrote:
>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>
>> About time somebody made the move.

>I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>supermarket.
>Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

DR. TONNE!

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 4:18*am, walt tonne > wrote:
> On Jul 25, 6:07*am, walt tonne > wrote:
>
> >http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...

> > About time somebody made the move.

> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> supermarket.
> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

==
People who make snap judgments about other people's health problems do
have something WRONG with them. Get a friggin' life and mind your own
business. Righteous people should die from strokes and heart attacks.
==
Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

walt tonne wrote:
> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>
>> About time somebody made the move.

> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> supermarket.
> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.
Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> walt tonne wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>>
>>> About time somebody made the move.

>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> supermarket.
>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.
> It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because of pain, they
> gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

sure there are a lot of 'obese' people who are the cause of their own
problems, but there are also those who, thru no fault of their own, have
conditions that cause weight gain, and/or the use of mobility
devices.....ever heard of thyroid disease? pituitary tumors......massive
doses of steroids to treat asthma? All of which can and do cause massive
weight gain in some people. I agree with Dave, on this. Unless you have
some 'psychic or paranormal' medical diagnosis feature to your person, I
would not sit in judgment of these people, unless you know them
'personally'.......chances are MR.TONNE, you are ticked off because the last
motor scooter in the Wal-Mart just skitted off as you came in the door.
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> walt tonne wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>>
>>> About time somebody made the move.

>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> supermarket.
>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.
> It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because of pain, they
> gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

(crossposting snipped)

A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the grocery
store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to stay off
his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the way home from
the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because the doctor told
him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have looked at him and
assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not everyone who needs those
carts is old (or fat).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

Funny you mention that because it never occurred to me to look for one of
those carts to shop after my foot surgery. I just ordered home delivery.
Even after a week it's hard to walk but I do it because I want it to heal.
Moving it is the only thing that's going to do that. Sure hurts, though,
even running into the store yesterday for a few things I needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2010 12:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> walt tonne wrote:

>>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>>> supermarket.
>>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>>

>> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
>> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
>> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> (crossposting snipped)
>
> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

In any case, the "fat tax" is exactly the sort of micromanagement that
opponents of government-controlled medicine fear and that its advocates
say will never happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him
> to stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on
> the way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts
> because the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would
> have looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders".
> Not everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

When I was 14 I was ordered off my feet to recover. I was in pretty good
shape. I was on the high school football team. I had a series of
blisters on the soles of my feet. One (or more) got infected and I ended
up with blood poisoning and phlebitis. It was bed rest for me for a
week. I could walk fine, but I wasn't supposed to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
>> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
>> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
>> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
>> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
>> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
>> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
>> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

> In any case, the "fat tax" is exactly the sort of micromanagement that
> opponents of government-controlled medicine fear and that its advocates
> say will never happen.

Private insurance is much better for that. They simply refuse you coverage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote
> "Dave Smith" wrote

>> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.

> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

Correct. I definately fit that profile. I'd have had more fun today if I
just finally grabbed one and had the daugher push the full cart. Instead,
we rushed through somewhat and ended up with a second cart not filled more
than the scooters could have handled.

Had a nice trip though to the grocery store. Sat for a little on the floor
along the juice isle while Charlotte grabbed stuff. Told'em this time I
could load the car fine as had the kidlit with me. New checker to me but
apparently a bit obvious by then.

It's not always weight that drives the need of a chair and not always
overeating that causes weight.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"walt tonne" > wrote in message
On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>
> About time somebody made the move.

I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
supermarket.
Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

{{{

And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?

Your world view reminds me of the statement:

"You don't look disabled!"

The retort: "... and you don't look like an a** h***".

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar
Member

"NotMe" > wrote in message
> "walt tonne" > wrote in message
> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>
>> About time somebody made the move.

> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> supermarket.
> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>
> {{{
>
> And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?
>
> Your world view reminds me of the statement:
>
> "You don't look disabled!"
>
> The retort: "... and you don't look like an a** h***".

I'm 63, ride a scooter or use a mobility cart at the store. I have COPD, am
on oxygen 24/7 and have Leukemia. I'm now getting overweight. Steroids to
combat my illness, donchaknow? You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking
at me that I have med. problems. I cruise and travel as much as possible.
So do you suggest I be put down because of it?

PS..like the retort....

Peaches in Rowlett TX

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"Peaches" > wrote in message
> "NotMe" > wrote in message
>> "walt tonne" > wrote in message
>> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>>
>>> About time somebody made the move.

>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> supermarket.
>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>
>> {{{
>>
>> And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?
>>
>> Your world view reminds me of the statement:
>>
>> "You don't look disabled!"
>>
>> The retort: "... and you don't look like an a** h***".

> I'm 63, ride a scooter or use a mobility cart at the store. I have COPD,
> am on oxygen 24/7 and have Leukemia. I'm now getting overweight. Steroids
> to combat my illness, donchaknow? You wouldn't be able to tell just by
> looking at me that I have med. problems. I cruise and travel as much as
> possible.
> So do you suggest I be put down because of it?
>
> PS..like the retort....

I got that from an old WWII Marine DI who was one of my hospice friends.
I'd carry him to the local watering hold that happened to be in a mall in a
rural part of the state. We used the HC parking due to both our
limitations. On one trip one DA (dumb a**) loudly castigated the old man
for parking in the HC zone.

His response echoed off the building walls all across the parking lot to the
amusement of a couple of (young and cute) church ladies. One of who gave him
a gentle kiss on the cheek and the quiet admonishment 'well spoken ... even
if I don't use those words myself'.

Truth be known if the old boy had been in better health he might have
invited the DA to 15 min in a dark alley.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 12:09*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> walt tonne wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe....

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

Talking to folks at the local hospital gave me the impression that
most of our
local cases are overeating fueled.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 3:06*pm, "Peaches" > wrote:
> "NotMe" > wrote in message

> > "walt tonne" > wrote in message
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe....

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> > {{{

> > And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?

> > Your world view reminds me of the statement:

> > "You don't look disabled!"

> > The retort: *"... and you don't look like an a** h***".

> I'm 63, ride a scooter or use a mobility cart at the store. I have COPD, am
> on oxygen 24/7 and have Leukemia. I'm now getting overweight. Steroids to
> combat my illness, donchaknow? You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking
> at me that I have med. problems. I cruise and travel as much as possible.
> So do you suggest I be put down because of it?
>
> PS..like the retort....
>
> Peaches in Rowlett TX- Hide quoted text -

Put down? No.Stop killing yourself by overeating. Are you
a former smoker?
Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"walt tonne" > wrote in message
On Jul 25, 12:09 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> walt tonne wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

}Talking to folks at the local hospital gave me the impression that
}most of our local cases are overeating fueled.

And you're willing to take the word of unnamed 'staff' at your local
hospital that, if they know the necessary information, are in violation of
HIPAA regulations? If they don't they are talking through their hats.

Some one mentioned that if stupidity was taxed you'd be broke.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar
Member

"walt tonne" > wrote in message
On Jul 25, 3:06 pm, "Peaches" > wrote:
> "NotMe" > wrote in message

> > "walt tonne" > wrote in message
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> > {{{

> > And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?

> > Your world view reminds me of the statement:

> > "You don't look disabled!"

> > The retort: "... and you don't look like an a** h***".

> I'm 63, ride a scooter or use a mobility cart at the store. I have COPD,
> am
> on oxygen 24/7 and have Leukemia. I'm now getting overweight. Steroids to
> combat my illness, donchaknow? You wouldn't be able to tell just by
> looking
> at me that I have med. problems. I cruise and travel as much as possible.
> So do you suggest I be put down because of it?
>
> PS..like the retort....
>
> Peaches in Rowlett TX- Hide quoted text -

Put down? No.Stop killing yourself by overeating. Are you
a former smoker?

Sorry Walt, not overeating. Just can't exercise at all. Nope, never smoked,
so don't automatically blame that. Did you ever smoke?

Peach

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NotMe wrote:
> "walt tonne" > wrote in message
> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>
>> About time somebody made the move.

> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> supermarket.
> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>
> {{{
>
> And you know this absolutely for sure ... how?
>
> Your world view reminds me of the statement:
>
> "You don't look disabled!"

Note that the original was cross-posted to 5+ groups.

I have a cousin who had to have a leg amputated after a brain aneurysm
and her reply when people told her that was quite effective:

"Do I have to hit you with my wooden leg to prove it?"

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
> >> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> >> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> >> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> >> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> >> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> >> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> >> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

> > In any case, the "fat tax" is exactly the sort of micromanagement that
> > opponents of government-controlled medicine fear and that its advocates
> > say will never happen.
> >

> Private insurance is much better for that. They simply refuse you coverage.

Yup. A four month old baby:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13530098

"At birth, Alex weighed a normal 8 1/4 pounds. On a diet of strictly
breast milk, his weight has more than doubled. He weighs about 17 pounds
and is about 25 inches long."

So he can't get health insurance because he is too big, even though
perfectly healthy!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2010 5:42 PM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In g.com>,
> Dave > wrote:

>>> In any case, the "fat tax" is exactly the sort of micromanagement that
>>> opponents of government-controlled medicine fear and that its advocates
>>> say will never happen.
>>>

>> Private insurance is much better for that. They simply refuse you coverage.

> Yup. A four month old baby:
>
> http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13530098
>
> "At birth, Alex weighed a normal 8 1/4 pounds. On a diet of strictly
> breast milk, his weight has more than doubled. He weighs about 17 pounds
> and is about 25 inches long."
>
> So he can't get health insurance because he is too big, even though
> perfectly healthy!

This is silliness--my insurer didn't even ask my weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2010 2:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>>> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
>>> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
>>> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
>>> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
>>> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
>>> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
>>> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

>> In any case, the "fat tax" is exactly the sort of micromanagement that
>> opponents of government-controlled medicine fear and that its
>> advocates say will never happen.
>>

> Private insurance is much better for that. They simply refuse you coverage.

If the choice is no insurance or having your diet dictated for you by
the government, no insurance looks to me like a good option.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:09:09 -0400, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>walt tonne wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>>
>>> About time somebody made the move.

>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> supermarket.
>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>

>How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
>exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
>of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

It's what you eat !

Monsanto is killing us all !

Eat fresh natural food with no pesticides, additives or gene mutations and you
won't be fat !
Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

Rush Limbaugh threatens to move to Costa Rica.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> walt tonne wrote:

>>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>>> supermarket.
>>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>>

>> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.
>> It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because of pain,
>> they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> (crossposting snipped)
>
> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).
>
> Jill

I am old (71) and fat - and I use the motorized scooters in the grocery
store. The last time I tried walking around with a push cart at that store,
I ended up passed out on the floor. Although that broke up the day at the
store with some unexpected entertainment and visits by the EMTs, the
ambulance and the LEO's - they would really rather I didn't do it again. I
am also disabled and have been for 40 years due to surgery that left me with
lymphedema in one leg.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"tomcervo" > wrote in message
> Rush Limbaugh threatens to move to Costa Rica.

Threat to Costa Rica???

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 9:09*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> walt tonne wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe....

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?

She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
something with needles.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

> wrote in message
On Jul 25, 9:09 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> walt tonne wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
> >>http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...

> >> About time somebody made the move.

> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > supermarket.
> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?

She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
something with needles.

{{{

Look into TENS treatment (works infrequently but is not uncomfortable) as
to exercise she might look into water aerobics for exercise and hydro
therapy for the pain. Same with acupuncture. Admittedly these are long
shots but if they work ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 10:34*am, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> > grocery store. *He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> > stay off his feet for a few days. *He wanted to stock up on food on the
> > way home from the hospital. *He used one of those motarized carts because
> > the doctor told him not to walk. *I'm sure lots of people would have
> > looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". *Not
> > everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).

> Funny you mention that because it never occurred to me to look for one of
> those carts to shop after my foot surgery. *I just ordered home delivery.
> Even after a week it's hard to walk but I do it because I want it to heal..
> Moving it is the only thing that's going to do that. *Sure hurts, though,
> even running into the store yesterday for a few things I needed.

A couple years ago, I got a splinter dead center in my heal, straight
in. After a couple days, I went to the doctor, and she could see it,
but none of her tools would reach it without cutting open my heal. I
had to soak it twice a day, and it finally came out on the 8th day.
During that time, I worked every day except my scheduled day off and
the day I went to the doctor. I work on my feet all day, so it wasn't
easy.

The hardest part was that my doctor said to walk normally. By limping
the first few days, I caused leg cramps that hurt worse than the
splinter.

Last week, I smashed my toes by tripping over a crate. I did it as I
was getting ready for work, so no time to ice it. I had to go to work
with shoes that were small for my swollen toes. It was a horrible day,
but I remembered my splinter, and did my best to walk normally and not
limp. That night, I dug through my closet and found and old pair of
work shoes that were too big me for me. So, I was able to wear those
for a few days.

In either case, I would probably not use a cart in the store, but I
would certainly want to limit my walking.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 8:49*pm, "NotMe" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jul 25, 9:09 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > walt tonne wrote:

> > > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > > supermarket.
> > > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
> sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
> handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
> People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
> know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
> many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
> weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
> a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
> pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?
>
> She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
> the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
> her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
> done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
> the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
> check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
> permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
> to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
> something with needles.
>
> {{{
>
> Look into TENS treatment (works infrequently but is not uncomfortable) *as
> to exercise she might look into water aerobics for exercise and hydro
> therapy for the pain. Same with acupuncture. *Admittedly these are long
> shots but if they work ...

I just looked up the tens treatment and printed off some info for my
mom. Looks interesting. Accupuncture is out of the question due to the
needle phobia thing.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

I have this idea of trying "coma" therapy for obese people. Just put them to
sleep for a few months and feed them only by drip. I gotta believe they would
lose a lost of weight easily and painlessly. Has to be better and far less risky
than having your stomach tied off no?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:43:26 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Jul 25, 9:09*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> walt tonne wrote:

>> > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> > supermarket.
>> > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

>> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
>> exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
>> of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

>My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
>sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
>handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
>People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
>know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
>many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
>weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
>a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
>pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?
>
>She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
>the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
>her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
>done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
>the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
>check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
>permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
>to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
>something with needles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
> the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
> her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
> done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
> the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
> check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
> permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
> to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
> something with needles.

Even with her fear of needles, suggest she try accupuncture.

<snip crossposts>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 8:49 pm, "NotMe" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jul 25, 9:09 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > walt tonne wrote:

> > > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > > supermarket.
> > > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
> sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
> handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
> People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
> know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
> many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
> weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
> a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
> pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?
>
> She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
> the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
> her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
> done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
> the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
> check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
> permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
> to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
> something with needles.
>
> {{{
>
> Look into TENS treatment (works infrequently but is not uncomfortable) as
> to exercise she might look into water aerobics for exercise and hydro
> therapy for the pain. Same with acupuncture. Admittedly these are long
> shots but if they work ...

I just looked up the tens treatment and printed off some info for my
mom. Looks interesting. Accupuncture is out of the question due to the
needle phobia thing.

{{

She might benefit from acclimatizing by someone well versed in the process
of acupuncture and accustomed to dealing with folk that have needle
aversion.

I once knew an ER physician that had a process where we'd have the ER
theater set up just so and everyone knew just what to do (including being
100% no talking/noise). Long story short I watched this physician sew up
kids without anesthetic just by application of a soothing voice that
virtually hypnotized kids with horrendous lacerations.

Same injuries with other physicians we had to use a Pedi board and put up
with screaming, traumatized kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Jul 25, 9:09*am, Dave Smith > wrote:

[snipped troll and crossposting]

> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
> sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
> handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
> People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
> know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
> many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
> weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
> a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
> pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?

My HMO (Kaiser) recommends something called chair dancing. It puts no
weight on the hips or knees, since it is done while sitting. I don't
know how it affects the feet, but there is no weight on them and the
exercise is all low impact. It is aerobic exercise. There are exercise
videos, with music and visual instructions. I did part of one as part
of a class I took at Kaiser. I did a Google on "chair dancing", but the
main site had a warning from Google about malware on the site. Amazon
seems to sell the videos, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Jodi-Stoloves-.../dp/B00062IWMA

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:28:27 -0500, "NotMe" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>On Jul 25, 8:49 pm, "NotMe" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
>> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because
>> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

>> My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
>> sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
>> handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
>> People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
>> know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
>> many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
>> weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
>> a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
>> pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?
>>
>> She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
>> the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
>> her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
>> done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
>> the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
>> check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
>> permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
>> to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
>> something with needles.
>>
>> {{{
>>
>> Look into TENS treatment (works infrequently but is not uncomfortable) as
>> to exercise she might look into water aerobics for exercise and hydro
>> therapy for the pain. Same with acupuncture. Admittedly these are long
>> shots but if they work ...

>I just looked up the tens treatment and printed off some info for my
>mom. Looks interesting. Accupuncture is out of the question due to the
>needle phobia thing.
>
>{{
>
>She might benefit from acclimatizing by someone well versed in the process
>of acupuncture and accustomed to dealing with folk that have needle
>aversion.
>
>I once knew an ER physician that had a process where we'd have the ER
>theater set up just so and everyone knew just what to do (including being
>100% no talking/noise). Long story short I watched this physician sew up
>kids without anesthetic just by application of a soothing voice that
>virtually hypnotized kids with horrendous lacerations.
>
>Same injuries with other physicians we had to use a Pedi board and put up
>with screaming, traumatized kids.

Try Belinjo nuts.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On Jul 25, 9:37*am, walt tonne > wrote:
> On Jul 25, 12:09*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > walt tonne wrote:

> > > I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> > > supermarket.
> > > Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> Talking to folks at the local hospital gave me the impression that
> most of our
> local *cases are overeating fueled.

Hell yes. Over 30% of Americans are OBESE another 30% are "just"
overweight. A certain percentage of that number is due to a medical
condition but what is it? 10% 15% maybe. The rest is dunlop disease.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 9:27*pm, Superdave > wrote:
> I have this idea of trying "coma" therapy for obese people. Just put them to
> sleep for a few months and feed them only by drip. I gotta believe they would
> lose a lost of weight easily and painlessly. Has to be better and far less risky
> than having your stomach tied off no?

I would think you would lose a lot of muscle as well. Also, a person
in a coma would have a much lower need for calories. It might be worth
trying in somebody who is morbidly obese and can't work anyway.

But I can't see it being a real choice for somebody who is still
walking around, working a job, and unable to take 3 months off work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 10:21*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > She has had surgery to remove tumors in her feet, with no relief (and
> > the tumors grew back). The only solution I can see is one that scares
> > her. De-nerve. Not sure if this is done in people, but I know it is
> > done in horses with permanent lameness. They can permanently turn off
> > the nerve. There is no feeling, so you have to be extra careful to
> > check for injuries etc. But it seems like it would be better than
> > permanent pain. I have asked if she could see about a temporary trial
> > to see what it would be like, but she is afraid of having to do
> > something with needles.

> Even with her fear of needles, suggest she try accupuncture.

I am also afraid of needles, and I would have to be near death to
consider accupuncture. I have a really hard time getting through the
annual blood draw for my physical. If I had to sit there and see
needles sticking out of me, I would be puking and/or passing out.

Posted to alt.appalachian,rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv,rec.sport.tennis,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On 26 July, 02:00, Superdave > wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:09:09 -0400, Dave Smith >
> wrote:
>
> >walt tonne wrote:

> >> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
> >> supermarket.
> >> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.

> >How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> >Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> >exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> >of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> It's what you eat !
>
> Monsanto is killing us all !
>
> Eat fresh natural food with no pesticides, additives or gene mutations and you
> won't be fat !

good post!

OBESE Sheldon General Cooking 1 26-10-2007 01:05 PM
48.8% of adult african-am women are obese [email protected] General Cooking 32 05-01-2007 09:38 PM
Diet tips for Obese rajeshsharma7777 General Cooking 1 25-07-2006 12:36 AM
Beer turns men into obese monsters ! Brian Raab Beer 0 03-10-2004 06:12 AM
Obese Americans Nancy Young General Cooking 48 17-04-2004 01:53 PM