Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Home seltzer/soda making

Our next kitchen gadget, other than the ice cream maker we just ordered,
is going to be something to make seltzer here. My wife loves it, and we
figured we'd break even relatively soon if we did this ourselves at
home.

Go to http://www.chefcentral.com which is the place near us, and search
on "soda maker" - there are three choices, for $100, $150, and $200.
Opinions on which to get solicited, and thanks. Our mission is to get
away from throw-away plastic seltzer bottles, and to eventually save
money by doing this.

Refill canisters are $20 apiece, $12 if you swap your old one - works
like propane tanks for the grill.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2010 2:18 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Our next kitchen gadget, other than the ice cream maker we just ordered,
> is going to be something to make seltzer here. My wife loves it, and we
> figured we'd break even relatively soon if we did this ourselves at
> home.
>
> Go to http://www.chefcentral.com which is the place near us, and search
> on "soda maker" - there are three choices, for $100, $150, and $200.
> Opinions on which to get solicited, and thanks. Our mission is to get
> away from throw-away plastic seltzer bottles, and to eventually save
> money by doing this.
>
> Refill canisters are $20 apiece, $12 if you swap your old one - works
> like propane tanks for the grill.
>
> -S-

I have a 20# CO2 tank and a spare O2 regulator that I converted to
low-volume CO2 (just changed the gas fitting.) I had a 10# tank, but
last time I had it filled they didn't have any 10# tanks and they
swapped it out for a 20.

I took a 2-liter pop bottle lid and fitted it with a stainless steel
truck tire valve stem. To carbonate a 1-liter or 2-liter bottle of
water or juice (it works great with filtered apple juice) I fill the
bottle with cold liquid, attach the valve-stem-lid, and apply about 60
psi of pressure while shaking the bottle (so the gas goes into
solution.) Remove the hose, put the bottle back in the fridge for a few
minutes to settle down, and it's ready to serve. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 3:18*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Our next kitchen gadget, other than the ice cream maker we just ordered,
> is going to be something to make seltzer here. *My wife loves it, and we
> figured we'd break even relatively soon if we did this ourselves at
> home.
>
> Go tohttp://www.chefcentral.comwhich is the place near us, and search
> on "soda maker" - there are three choices, for $100, $150, and $200.
> Opinions on which to get solicited, and thanks. *Our mission is to get
> away from throw-away plastic seltzer bottles, and to eventually save
> money by doing this.
>
> Refill canisters are $20 apiece, $12 if you swap your old one - works
> like propane tanks for the grill.
>
> -S-

They estimate how many liters of water it will carbonate - that should
help with your decision, at least cost-wise.

I don't own any of them, so I can't be of help in that way. But I did
a search of "pure sodastream reviews" and "sodastream reviews" it
came up with some good-looking hits - maybe that will help?

And maybe this is my lack of knowledge on the subject, but don't those
old-fashioned seltzer bottles (like in old slapstick movies) produce
the same effect? I would think those would have to be cheaper that
$100.

FWIW,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> Our next kitchen gadget, other than the ice cream maker we just ordered,
> is going to be something to make seltzer here. My wife loves it, and we
> figured we'd break even relatively soon if we did this ourselves at
> home.
>
> Go to http://www.chefcentral.com which is the place near us, and search
> on "soda maker" - there are three choices, for $100, $150, and $200.
> Opinions on which to get solicited, and thanks. Our mission is to get
> away from throw-away plastic seltzer bottles, and to eventually save
> money by doing this.
>
> Refill canisters are $20 apiece, $12 if you swap your old one - works
> like propane tanks for the grill.
>
> -S-

Sodastream also make a lower price model called 'Fountain Jet'. Might
want to look into that: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.aspx

It looks more like the common ones in the UK.

What about a soda syphon/siphon? We have one that's ancient. Need to get
more CO2 charges for it though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Our next kitchen gadget, other than the ice cream maker we just
> ordered, is going to be something to make seltzer here. My wife
> loves it, and we figured we'd break even relatively soon if we did
> this ourselves at home.
>
> Go to http://www.chefcentral.com which is the place near us, and
> search on "soda maker" - there are three choices, for $100, $150, and
> $200. Opinions on which to get solicited, and thanks. Our mission is
> to get away from throw-away plastic seltzer bottles, and to
> eventually save money by doing this.
>
> Refill canisters are $20 apiece, $12 if you swap your old one - works
> like propane tanks for the grill.
>
> -S-

Bought the $200 model, have been playing with sample flavors they
supplied, everyone here thinks it's great.

First "experiment" will be cream soda, using the vanilla beans we're
expecting.

-S-