Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen to
make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the Interbake3
pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare room. LOL

Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using chuck
roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

The recipe for Chaurice sausage from The Gumbopages looks simple enough. I
love Chaurice sausage. It can be ground as patties or piped into casings.
(I'm sure I'd just start off with the patties.) The recipe looks pretty
simple:

Chaurice

* 4 pounds lean fresh pork, butt or shoulder
* 2 pounds fresh pork fat
* 2 cups onion, finely minced
* 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
* 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 8 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground red pepper
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
* 5 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* 3 bay leaves, finely crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 3 yards small sausage casing (optional)

Cut the pork at fatback into small pieces. Mix together and run once through
the coarse disc of a meat grinder, into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and
mix thoroughly until the stuffing is very smooth and well-blended.

Make into patties, and use within three days or freeze. Also, you can stuff
the chaurice into casings; make each sausage about six inches in length.

YIELD: Approximately 18 servings.

I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. Even if I did, I
don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.

What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:
> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:

>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>casings).

Where did you buy that grinder?

A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
So I looked it up...
If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1

Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

>> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.
>>

> Naw, here's the place to go:
>
> http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

lol you are so badddddddddddd but I luvya))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
>>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP
>>2000W
>>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>>casings).

> Where did you buy that grinder?
>
> A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
> So I looked it up...
> If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
> http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
> http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.) It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>>
>>>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
>>>selecting
>>>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>>>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP
>>>2000W
>>>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>>>casings).

>> Where did you buy that grinder?
>>
>> A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
>> So I looked it up...
>> If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
>> http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1
>>

> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I won
> the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
> auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
> It's a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
> yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.
>
> Jill

Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:

"We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:42*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:> In >,
> > * > *wrote:
> >> What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

> > Ground beef for the practice. *JMO.

> Naw, here's the place to go:
>
> http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

What a wonderful lyric! How come I never heard (of) that song?
Lynn in Fargo
Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about what
cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck roast,
preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention brisket, but I've never
seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the freezer space, sure,
but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef suet to supplement the fat
content.

Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just have
the steak

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Yep. Get the biggest, meanest, toughest brisket you can find. Cut it
into big strips or hunks that will just fit in the hopper. Give the
machine a workout and see how it does. (grind the meat twice; course
plate, mix, and then fine plate)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

>> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.
>>
>> --
>> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
> what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
> roast, preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention brisket, but
> I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
> freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
> suet to supplement the fat content.
>
> Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
> have the steak
>
> Jill

A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground beef.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>There's lots of chatter here about what
>cut of beef to use.

Look for some grass fed beef.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 4:21 PM, Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2:42 pm, George > wrote:
>> On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:> In >,

>>> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

>> Naw, here's the place to go:
>>
>> http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

> What a wonderful lyric! How come I never heard (of) that song?
> Lynn in Fargo
> Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"

I remember it from when I was a Boy Scout, that was our favorite
campfire song. Just fit in with a bunch of eleven year old boys.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
>> won
>> the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
>> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
>> auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
>> It's
>> a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
>> yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

> No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
>> won
>> the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
>> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
>> auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
>> It's
>> a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
>> yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

> No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.
>
> -sw

I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping.
>>> I won
>>> the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
>>> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost
>>> that
>>> auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very
>>> similar.) It's
>>> a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
>>> yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

>> No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.
>>
>> -sw

> I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some
> "comps". Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made
> in the US. If so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.
>
> Jill

Good luck returning that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:11*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
> meat and asking them to grind it for me. *So I broke down and bought an
> electric meat grinder. *It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
> grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
> casings).
>
> I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen to
> make room for it. *I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the Interbake3
> pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare room. *LOL
>
> Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. *Ground beef using chuck
> roast and/or brisket? *Sausage?
>
> The recipe for Chaurice sausage from The Gumbopages looks simple enough. *I
> love Chaurice sausage. *It can be ground as patties or piped into casings.
> (I'm sure I'd just start off with the patties.) *The recipe looks pretty
> simple:
>
> Chaurice
>
> * * * *4 pounds lean fresh pork, butt or shoulder
> * * * 2 pounds fresh pork fat
> * * * 2 cups onion, finely minced
> * * * 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
> * * * 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
> * * * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
> * * * 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
> * * * 8 teaspoons salt
> * * * 2 teaspoons freshly ground red pepper
> * * * 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
> * * * 5 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
> * * * 3 bay leaves, finely crushed
> * * * 1/2 teaspoon allspice
> * * * 3 yards small sausage casing (optional)
>
> Cut the pork at fatback into small pieces. Mix together and run once through
> the coarse disc of a meat grinder, into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and
> mix thoroughly until the stuffing is very smooth and well-blended.
>
> Make into patties, and use within three days or freeze. Also, you can stuff
> the chaurice into casings; make each sausage about six inches in length.
>
> YIELD: Approximately 18 servings.
>
> I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. *Even if I did, I
> don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.
>
> What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:11*pm, "jmcquown"

> What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Wow sounds like you bought a godzilla of a grinder I don't own one
but have used a food processor to grind beef for burgers - well worth
doing, you can grill a burger rare without fear of salmonilla, control
the texture ( i like very coarse), and incorporate additional
ingrediants, eg cubes of frozen Maytag blue cheese and smoked bacon
fried crispy and crumbled. Enjoy, let us know what you come up
with!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>jmcquown > wrote:
>> I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
>> selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down
>> and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA
>> and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
>> those for stuffing sausage casings).
>>
>> I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen
>> to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the
>> Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
>> room. LOL
>> Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
>> chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
ingredient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 3:20 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Where did you buy that grinder?
>>>
>>> A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
>>> So I looked it up...
>>> If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
>>> http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1
>>>

>> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
>> won the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
>> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost
>> that auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very
>> similar.) It's a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't
>> unpack it until yesterday because I was still trying to find a place
>> to store it.
>>
>> Jill

> Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:
>
> "We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
> NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"
>
> Jill

I have a #12 grinder that looks almost identical to that one. The "2.6
HP" and "2000W" and "industrial" part are all BS, but the grinder works
great :-) The only concern I have about the one you bought is the
little tabs on the ends of the plates. I've never seen that before, and
I'm pretty sure it means the plates are a nonstandard size.

The plates pretty much last forever if they are any good, so it still
might not be a problem.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 5:25*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 4:21 PM, Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>
> > On Jul 23, 2:42 pm, George > *wrote:
> >> On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:> *In >,

> >> Naw, here's the place to go:

> >>http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

> > What a wonderful lyric! *How come I never heard (of) that song?
> > Lynn in Fargo
> > Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"

> I remember it from when I was a Boy Scout, that was our favorite
> campfire song. Just fit in with a bunch of eleven year old boys.

Plenty of bawdy songs he
http://www.csufresno.edu/folklore/dr...ss-your-pa.htm

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:
>
> "We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
> NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"
>
> Jill

My first grind with my new toy was a mix of turkey breast and pork
sausage. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. Even if I did, I
> don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.
>
> What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?
>
> Jill

Pick up the sausage making tome by Rytek Kutas...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Ground beef for the practice. JMO.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> > Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
> > what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
> > roast, preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention brisket, but
> > I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
> > freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
> > suet to supplement the fat content.
> >
> > Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
> > have the steak
> >
> > Jill

> A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
> suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground beef.
>
> Bob

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>

Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
Mine is a horizontal offset.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >jmcquown > wrote:
> >> I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
> >> selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down
> >> and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA
> >> and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
> >> those for stuffing sausage casings).
> >>
> >> I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen
> >> to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the
> >> Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
> >> room. LOL
> >> Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
> >> chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

> Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
> forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
> ingredient.

<lol> Nice one Shel'!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:34:27 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>On 7/23/2010 3:20 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
>>> won the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
>>> It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost
>>> that auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very
>>> similar.) It's a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't
>>> unpack it until yesterday because I was still trying to find a place
>>> to store it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:
>>
>> "We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
>> NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"
>>
>> Jill

>I have a #12 grinder that looks almost identical to that one. The "2.6
>HP" and "2000W" and "industrial" part are all BS, but the grinder works
>great :-)

That's why I searched it out... just so happens that grinder is sold
at Amazon and the specs are listed the same, but it's gotta be a
misprint by a factor of ten; probably 200 w and .26 hp.

>The only concern I have about the one you bought is the
>little tabs on the ends of the plates. I've never seen that before, and
>I'm pretty sure it means the plates are a nonstandard size.
>
>The plates pretty much last forever if they are any good, so it still
>might not be a problem.
>
>Bob

Different grinder manufacturers employ different plate key
configurations; some use two tabs, some one tab, some a half hole that
keys on a dowel pin... there are literally thousands of different
grinder plates... when ordering new plates it's a good idea to supply
the old plate, they vary by outside diameter, thickness, shaft hole
diameter, hole pattern/size, and key configuration... also vary by
material, some are carbon steel, some are stainless steel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>>> No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

>> I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
>> Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
>> so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

> Even an American company with manufacturing in China is
> preferable. This company's only presence is on alibaba.com, which
> is notorious for shady materials.
>
> Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
> know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
> mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
> things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
> work.
>
> -sw

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> > Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
>> > what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
>> > roast, preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention brisket, but
>> > I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
>> > freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
>> > suet to supplement the fat content.
>> >
>> > Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
>> > have the steak
>> >
>> > Jill

>> A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
>> suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground beef.
>>
>> Bob

> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>
>
> Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
> Mine is a horizontal offset.
> --
> Peace! Om

LOL You know, I've never understood the way some houses (and most
apartments I've lived in) are designed the way they are. The only place I
could put a smoker is on the back patio, which is hell and gone from the
kitchen. I *hate* carrying food from the through the living room to get to
the patio. (Oh, and the carpet is white, so no accidental food spills,
please!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can wheel my trusty Weber kettle from the garage onto the driveway and
back in again. But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not talking about
a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live without a smoker I can
"smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They aren't truly smoked, of course, but
they do get nice smoky taste from added (soaked) hickory chips.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
>>> know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
>>> mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
>>> things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
>>> work.

>> She already has it; might as well see how it works.

> Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
> for her purposes.
>
> I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
> Money must be easy to come by.
>
> -sw

FYI, this is the first item I've purchased on eBay (other than filters for
my cat's Drinkwell Fountain) in about 4 years.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
>>> Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
>>> so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

>> Even an American company with manufacturing in China is
>> preferable. This company's only presence is on alibaba.com, which
>> is notorious for shady materials.
>>
>> Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
>> know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
>> mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
>> things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> -sw

>She already has it; might as well see how it works.
>
>Bob

I'm sure it will work as well as any similarly priced grinder.

I think one would be hard pressed to find any small appliances that
are made in the US anymore, not for many years now. My 6 year old
Waring Pro grinder is made in China. My 20 year old Moulinex grinder
is made in France. My nearly 50 year old Osterizer blender is made in
Milwaukee, WI USA. Americans don't make stuff anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:02:07 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
>>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
>>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>>casings).

>Where did you buy that grinder?
>
>A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
>So I looked it up...
>If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:

Those numbers are just a sleazy way some companies use to grossly
inflate the power of small electric motors. Creative marketing?
What they show is not the continuous power rating. Rather it's the
power calculated on the split second current draw at the instant of
stall (locked rotor current).
Even given a generous efficiency rating of 70%, a motor with a
continuous power rating of 2.6 HP would draw approximately 24 amps at
115 volts. That'll kick off your normal household breaker in an
instant.
So, you take your new grinder, cut up some meat, feed it through the
grinder and if it gives you the results you're looking for, be happy.

Ross
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2010 9:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
>>> know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
>>> mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
>>> things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
>>> work.

>> She already has it; might as well see how it works.

> Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
> for her purposes.
>
> I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
> Money must be easy to come by.
>
> -sw

I bought an electronic scales like that on eBay... 10 years ago I think.
I still have it and use it all the time. I was pleasantly surprised
by how how accurate it is. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, even
without a recognizable brand name to back it up.

(BTW, a lot of great American brands are all that's left of old
companies -- like Westinghouse, for instance. The companies went out of
business a long time ago. Somebody obtained the rights to the brands,
and they slap 'em on cheap imported crap)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:02:07 -0400, brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" wrote:
>>>
>>>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
>>>selecting
>>>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>>>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP
>>>2000W
>>>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>>>casings).

>>Where did you buy that grinder?
>>
>>A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
>>So I looked it up...
>>If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:

> Those numbers are just a sleazy way some companies use to grossly
> inflate the power of small electric motors. Creative marketing?
> What they show is not the continuous power rating. Rather it's the
> power calculated on the split second current draw at the instant of
> stall (locked rotor current).
> Even given a generous efficiency rating of 70%, a motor with a
> continuous power rating of 2.6 HP would draw approximately 24 amps at
> 115 volts. That'll kick off your normal household breaker in an
> instant.
> So, you take your new grinder, cut up some meat, feed it through the
> grinder and if it gives you the results you're looking for, be happy.
>
> Ross

I'm not the one who was questioning or complaining about the "specs". I
merely reported what was advertised for the grinder I purchased. I'm sure
I'll be perfectly happy with it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:

>> Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
>> forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
>> ingredient.

> <lol> Nice one Shel'!
> --
> Peace! Om

I believe he was completely serious. Meat loaf isn't something I make very
often. And to grind my own "meat loaf mix" (beef, pork and veal) would
surely cost more than the effort is worth.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-23, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
> http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas

"<li>Cast Aluminum Feeding Hopper <li>Cast Aluminum Auger & Auger
Housing <li>"

> Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz

"We've improved our existing designs by adding stainless steel necks,
screws, plates and blades."

"Heavy-duty air-cooled motors are housed in stainless steel and sit
atop stainless steel bases for corrosion-free use and easy
cleanup. Our motors include internal circuit breakers..."

No mention of the auger material, but I bet it's not cast aluminum.

What the auger on your Pro grinder, Shel?

http://tinyurl.com/28qwxvf

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:47:48 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>On 7/24/2010 9:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> She already has it; might as well see how it works.

>> Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
>> for her purposes.
>>
>> I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
>> Money must be easy to come by.
>>
>> -sw

>I bought an electronic scales like that on eBay... 10 years ago I think.
> I still have it and use it all the time. I was pleasantly surprised
>by how how accurate it is. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, even
>without a recognizable brand name to back it up.
>
>(BTW, a lot of great American brands are all that's left of old
>companies -- like Westinghouse, for instance. The companies went out of
>business a long time ago. Somebody obtained the rights to the brands,
>and they slap 'em on cheap imported crap)
>
>Bob

Most products nowadays are exactly the same item sold under many
labels; especially appliances, electronics, cosmetics/toiletries,
clothing, and most especially foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 13:42, George Shirley wrote:
> http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

Growing up, we knew it as "Wunderbeck's Machine."

<Oh Wunderbeck, oh Wunderbeck, how could you be so mean
To ever have invented the Sausage Meat Machine?
Now all the cats and dogs in town will never more be seen.
They've all been ground to sausage meat in Wunderbeck's Machine>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2010 13:42, George Shirley wrote:
>> http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

> Growing up, we knew it as "Wunderbeck's Machine."
>
> <Oh Wunderbeck, oh Wunderbeck, how could you be so mean
> To ever have invented the Sausage Meat Machine?
> Now all the cats and dogs in town will never more be seen.
> They've all been ground to sausage meat in Wunderbeck's Machine>

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:29:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-07-23, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas

>"<li>Cast Aluminum Feeding Hopper <li>Cast Aluminum Auger & Auger
>Housing <li>"
>
>> Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz

>"We've improved our existing designs by adding stainless steel necks,
>screws, plates and blades."
>
>"Heavy-duty air-cooled motors are housed in stainless steel and sit
>atop stainless steel bases for corrosion-free use and easy
>cleanup. Our motors include internal circuit breakers..."
>
>No mention of the auger material, but I bet it's not cast aluminum.
>
>What the auger on your Pro grinder, Shel?
>
>http://tinyurl.com/28qwxvf
>
>nb

That's the same as my Waring Pro but with Cabela's name on it instead.
The auger is cast aluminum... only the motor housing shroud is
stainless. It's plenty suitable for home use.

But I was referring to Cabela's commercial type machines lower down on
the page for comparison... even their largest is less than 2 HP but
costs $750. Of course no one needs those kind of grinders for home
use... the one Jill bought will be fine, especially for as often as
she'll use it and for the quantities she would likely prepare... that
grinder is still ten times better than that toys r us plastic thingie
fits the KA mixer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>news

>>> Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
>>> forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
>>> ingredient.

>> <lol> Nice one Shel'!
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

>I believe he was completely serious. Meat loaf isn't something I make very
>often. And to grind my own "meat loaf mix" (beef, pork and veal) would
>surely cost more than the effort is worth.

I never blend different meats, I much prefer all beef for meat loaf...
you can prepare meatballs too. The learning curve increases with the
more different ingredients you grind... for meat loaf all the veggies
are ground too, even the crumbs.

Another reason to grind your own meat Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 08-03-2012 06:35 PM
Using a food processor to grind meat. Handy Gandy General Cooking 8 14-09-2010 05:24 PM
OK, I'm convinced I need to grind my own meat, tell me about yourgrinder..... Nan[_3_] General Cooking 17 04-11-2009 09:18 PM
Grinding meat meatnub General Cooking 21 23-05-2008 02:58 AM
Course Grind meat for chili... Dannyl General Cooking 37 22-05-2007 08:01 PM