Old 25-07-2010, 09:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

"Larry" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message

Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
Mine is a horizontal offset.
--
Peace! Om

LOL You know, I've never understood the way some houses (and most
apartments I've lived in) are designed the way they are. The only place
I could put a smoker is on the back patio, which is hell and gone from
the kitchen. I *hate* carrying food from the through the living room to
get to the patio. (Oh, and the carpet is white, so no accidental food
spills, please!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can wheel my trusty Weber kettle from the garage onto the driveway and
back in again. But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not talking
about a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live without a smoker
I can "smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They aren't truly smoked, of
course, but they do get nice smoky taste from added (soaked) hickory
chips.

Jill

When you purchase you own house you can choose from different floor plans.
When you inherit a house you have to deal with it and, preferably, not
bitch about it.

Who the **** is bitching? Did you notice I mentioned *most of the
apartments I've lived in*? It's not this specific house, you moron. It's a
general design flaw in many homes and apartments. IMHO architects may
design fantastic digs for themselves, but when they're designing a
"neighborhood" or apartment complex they don't have to live in it appears
they really don't care.

Jill

Old 25-07-2010, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

Okay, and that makes sense. I, too, prefer all beef for meat loaf. But
so many folks yak about "meat loaf mix". Frankly I'd rather have some
nice pork chops and a couple of good veal chops than to grind pork and
veal together just for meat loaf.

Jill

I adore a mixture of ground beef and ground lamb in meatloaf. It tastes
"beefier" and is luscious.

Ground lamb is another story I love lamb. Lamb patties, properly
seasoned and made into burgers are nice. I've never tried it in meatloaf,
but I just might. Thanks, Goomba!

Jill

Old 25-07-2010, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Larry" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke
down
and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky
Enterprises USA
and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
those for stuffing sausage casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the
kitchen
to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and
the
Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
room. LOL
Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
ingredient.

lol Nice one Shel'!
--
Peace! Om

I believe he was completely serious. Meat loaf isn't something I make
very
often. And to grind my own "meat loaf mix" (beef, pork and veal) would
surely cost more than the effort is worth.

I never blend different meats, I much prefer all beef for meat loaf...
you can prepare meatballs too. The learning curve increases with the
more different ingredients you grind... for meat loaf all the veggies
are ground too, even the crumbs.

Okay, and that makes sense. I, too, prefer all beef for meat loaf. But
so many folks yak about "meat loaf mix". Frankly I'd rather have some
nice pork chops and a couple of good veal chops than to grind pork and
veal together just for meat loaf.

Jill

You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Calves, asshole. Why don't you get a ****ing life?!

Jill

Old 25-07-2010, 12:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

Okay, and that makes sense. I, too, prefer all beef for meat loaf. But
so many folks yak about "meat loaf mix". Frankly I'd rather have some
nice pork chops and a couple of good veal chops than to grind pork and
veal together just for meat loaf.

I adore a mixture of ground beef and ground lamb in meatloaf. It tastes
"beefier" and is luscious.

Ground lamb is another story I love lamb. Lamb patties, properly
seasoned and made into burgers are nice. I've never tried it in meatloaf,
but I just might. Thanks, Goomba!

You might like Alton Brown's recipe for meatballs; it contains a mixture of
beef, pork and lamb. It's also got spinach and Parmesan for even more
flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Bob

Old 25-07-2010, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

No need to be a bitch just because your life sucks. It's still beef.

Old 25-07-2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2010 6:39 AM, jmcquown wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
Jill

You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Calves asshole.

Jill

Actually, they use more of the calf than just that. ;-)

Bob
Old 26-07-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Larry" wrote in message
Jill
You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Calves asshole.

Jill

Actually, they use more of the calf than just that. ;-)

Bob

Dammit Bob, quit that, I just blew coffee all over the monitor again.
Old 26-07-2010, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
for her purposes.

I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
Money must be easy to come by.

-sw

Why do you always have to be so nasty Steve?
Be helpful instead. Geeze!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 26-07-2010, 05:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#

Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
Mine is a horizontal offset.
--
Peace! Om

LOL You know, I've never understood the way some houses (and most
apartments I've lived in) are designed the way they are. The only place I
could put a smoker is on the back patio, which is hell and gone from the
kitchen. I *hate* carrying food from the through the living room to get to
the patio. (Oh, and the carpet is white, so no accidental food spills,
please!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can wheel my trusty Weber kettle from the garage onto the driveway and
back in again. But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not talking about
a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live without a smoker I can
"smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They aren't truly smoked, of course, but
they do get nice smoky taste from added (soaked) hickory chips.

Jill

Actually, this sausage was plenty good without the smoke. :-)
It's just a fun addition to sausage making...

Works just fine both ways.
--
Peace! Om

Old 26-07-2010, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

As far as andouille, if you can't find pecan, can you find sugar cane
scrap, leftovers from sugar processing? I understand that's a popular
"wood" for smoking andouille.

MartyB

Alas, they don't grow sugar cane here so I have no idea where I'd find that.
I'm not planning on making andouille, at any rate. I don't have a smoker
and it's a smoked sausage. (And no, OM, I'm not buying a smoker!)
Andouille is a lovely sausage but I may have found a local source for
purchasing it already made

Jill

Hey, it's all good! I don't always use my smoker to smoke. G
It can double as a grill...

Or a wood fueled oven!
--
Peace! Om

Old 26-07-2010, 05:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I was laughing at his comment that ground beef only contains one
ingredient. :-)

Once you try home ground fresh ground beef, you will never go back.
Really!
--
Peace! Om

Old 26-07-2010, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

I believe he was completely serious. Meat loaf isn't something I make very
often. And to grind my own "meat loaf mix" (beef, pork and veal) would
surely cost more than the effort is worth.

I never blend different meats, I much prefer all beef for meat loaf...
you can prepare meatballs too. The learning curve increases with the
more different ingredients you grind... for meat loaf all the veggies
are ground too, even the crumbs.

I am still exploring options with mine.
It's a whole new world in food prep...

Meat grinders are a wondrous tool.

If you are going to drag it out and set it up, might as well go all the
way? :-)

Old 26-07-2010, 05:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Larry" wrote in message
Jill
You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Calves asshole.

Jill

Actually, they use more of the calf than just that. ;-)

Bob

Dammit Bob, quit that, I just blew coffee all over the monitor again.

Got a good laugh out of me too... rofl
--
Peace! Om

Old 26-07-2010, 09:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Larry" wrote in message
Jill
You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Calves asshole.

Jill

Actually, they use more of the calf than just that. ;-)

lol I must admit it took me a couple of seconds...
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 26-07-2010, 09:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
for her purposes.

I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
Money must be easy to come by.

-sw

Why do you always have to be so nasty Steve?
Be helpful instead. Geeze!
--
Peace! Om

Ignore him, I do As for how often I'll use it... I'll use it at least as
much as he does his blender

Jill

Another reason to grind your own meat Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 08-03-2012 06:35 PM
Using a food processor to grind meat. Handy Gandy General Cooking 8 14-09-2010 05:24 PM
OK, I'm convinced I need to grind my own meat, tell me about yourgrinder..... Nan[_3_] General Cooking 17 04-11-2009 09:18 PM
Grinding meat meatnub General Cooking 21 23-05-2008 02:58 AM
Course Grind meat for chili... Dannyl General Cooking 37 22-05-2007 08:01 PM