Old 24-07-2010, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:02:07 -0400, brooklyn1
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote:

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

Where did you buy that grinder?

A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
So I looked it up...
If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:

Those numbers are just a sleazy way some companies use to grossly
inflate the power of small electric motors. Creative marketing?
What they show is not the continuous power rating. Rather it's the
power calculated on the split second current draw at the instant of
stall (locked rotor current).
Even given a generous efficiency rating of 70%, a motor with a
continuous power rating of 2.6 HP would draw approximately 24 amps at
115 volts. That'll kick off your normal household breaker in an
instant.
So, you take your new grinder, cut up some meat, feed it through the
grinder and if it gives you the results you're looking for, be happy.

Ross

Old 24-07-2010, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2010 9:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
for her purposes.

I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
Money must be easy to come by.

-sw

I bought an electronic scales like that on eBay... 10 years ago I think.
I still have it and use it all the time. I was pleasantly surprised
by how how accurate it is. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, even
without a recognizable brand name to back it up.

(BTW, a lot of great American brands are all that's left of old
companies -- like Westinghouse, for instance. The companies went out of
business a long time ago. Somebody obtained the rights to the brands,
and they slap 'em on cheap imported crap)

Bob

Old 24-07-2010, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

I'm not the one who was questioning or complaining about the "specs". I
merely reported what was advertised for the grinder I purchased. I'm sure
I'll be perfectly happy with it

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down
and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA
and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
those for stuffing sausage casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen
to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the
Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
room. LOL
Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
ingredient.

lol Nice one Shel'!
--
Peace! Om

I believe he was completely serious. Meat loaf isn't something I make very
often. And to grind my own "meat loaf mix" (beef, pork and veal) would
surely cost more than the effort is worth.

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-23, brooklyn1 wrote:

If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas

"liCast Aluminum Feeding Hopper liCast Aluminum Auger & Auger
Housing li"

Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz

"We've improved our existing designs by adding stainless steel necks,
screws, plates and blades."

"Heavy-duty air-cooled motors are housed in stainless steel and sit
atop stainless steel bases for corrosion-free use and easy
cleanup. Our motors include internal circuit breakers..."

No mention of the auger material, but I bet it's not cast aluminum.

What the auger on your Pro grinder, Shel?

http://tinyurl.com/28qwxvf

nb

Old 24-07-2010, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:47:48 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

[...]

Most products nowadays are exactly the same item sold under many
labels; especially appliances, electronics, cosmetics/toiletries,
clothing, and most especially foods.
Old 24-07-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 13:42, George Shirley wrote:
http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

Growing up, we knew it as "Wunderbeck's Machine."

Oh Wunderbeck, oh Wunderbeck, how could you be so mean
To ever have invented the Sausage Meat Machine?
Now all the cats and dogs in town will never more be seen.
They've all been ground to sausage meat in Wunderbeck's Machine
Old 24-07-2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" wrote in message
On 7/23/2010 13:42, George Shirley wrote:
http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

Growing up, we knew it as "Wunderbeck's Machine."

Oh Wunderbeck, oh Wunderbeck, how could you be so mean
To ever have invented the Sausage Meat Machine?
Now all the cats and dogs in town will never more be seen.
They've all been ground to sausage meat in Wunderbeck's Machine

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 24-07-2010, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-23, brooklyn1 wrote:

If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas

"liCast Aluminum Feeding Hopper liCast Aluminum Auger & Auger
Housing li"

Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz

"We've improved our existing designs by adding stainless steel necks,
screws, plates and blades."

"Heavy-duty air-cooled motors are housed in stainless steel and sit
atop stainless steel bases for corrosion-free use and easy
cleanup. Our motors include internal circuit breakers..."

No mention of the auger material, but I bet it's not cast aluminum.

What the auger on your Pro grinder, Shel?

http://tinyurl.com/28qwxvf

nb

That's the same as my Waring Pro but with Cabela's name on it instead.
The auger is cast aluminum... only the motor housing shroud is
stainless. It's plenty suitable for home use.

But I was referring to Cabela's commercial type machines lower down on
the page for comparison... even their largest is less than 2 HP but
costs $750. Of course no one needs those kind of grinders for home
use... the one Jill bought will be fine, especially for as often as
she'll use it and for the quantities she would likely prepare... that
grinder is still ten times better than that toys r us plastic thingie
fits the KA mixer.
Old 24-07-2010, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I never blend different meats, I much prefer all beef for meat loaf...
you can prepare meatballs too. The learning curve increases with the
more different ingredients you grind... for meat loaf all the veggies
are ground too, even the crumbs.

Old 24-07-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Okay, and that makes sense. I, too, prefer all beef for meat loaf. But so
many folks yak about "meat loaf mix". Frankly I'd rather have some nice
pork chops and a couple of good veal chops than to grind pork and veal
together just for meat loaf.

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Okay, and that makes sense. I, too, prefer all beef for meat loaf. But
so many folks yak about "meat loaf mix". Frankly I'd rather have some
nice pork chops and a couple of good veal chops than to grind pork and
veal together just for meat loaf.

Jill

I adore a mixture of ground beef and ground lamb in meatloaf. It tastes
"beefier" and is luscious.
Old 25-07-2010, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not
talking about a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live
without a smoker I can "smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They
aren't truly smoked, of course, but they do get nice smoky taste from
added (soaked) hickory chips.

What diameter Weber Kettle do you have?

I find ribs (with the exception of baby back ribs, which almost don't
count) to be one of the least successful things to cook on the 18"
Weber, relative to how they'd come out of a true smoker. But the larger
units probably work better.

Steve
Old 25-07-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

-- Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
roast, preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention
brisket, but
I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
suet to supplement the fat content.

Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
have the steak

Jill

A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground
beef.

Bob

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#

Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
Mine is a horizontal offset.
--
Peace! Om

LOL You know, I've never understood the way some houses (and most
apartments I've lived in) are designed the way they are. The only
place I could put a smoker is on the back patio, which is hell and
gone from the kitchen. I *hate* carrying food from the through the
living room to get to the patio. (Oh, and the carpet is white, so no
accidental food spills, please!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can wheel my trusty Weber kettle from the garage onto the driveway
and back in again. But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not
talking about a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live
without a smoker I can "smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They
aren't truly smoked, of course, but they do get nice smoky taste from
added (soaked) hickory chips.

Jill

When you purchase you own house you can choose from different floor
plans. When you inherit a house you have to deal with it and,
preferably, not bitch about it.
Old 25-07-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:23:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You do know veal *is* beef, right?

Another reason to grind your own meat Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 08-03-2012 06:35 PM
Using a food processor to grind meat. Handy Gandy General Cooking 8 14-09-2010 05:24 PM
OK, I'm convinced I need to grind my own meat, tell me about yourgrinder..... Nan[_3_] General Cooking 17 04-11-2009 09:18 PM
Grinding meat meatnub General Cooking 21 23-05-2008 02:58 AM
Course Grind meat for chili... Dannyl General Cooking 37 22-05-2007 08:01 PM