Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cost of Vanilla Beans

Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.

I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
bean.

Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
vanilla beans.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 12:09*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Holy Toledo! *We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! *I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

Try Google.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 12:09*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Holy Toledo! *We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! *I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

From Google:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/...-vanilla-beans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.

That is at least double what I have been paying at the Bulk Barn.

There was a severe shortage of vanilla a few years ago when a cyclone
hit Madagascar, which produces most of the world's vanilla. Pure Vanilla
extract also soared in price. I used to get bottles of no name vanilla
extract for $9. 99. Then it went to $23.99. It is now around $13.

Apparently, the high prices and world shortage spurred people in other
areas to take up vanilla production, but the new supplies don't seem to
have led to lower prices yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

I can get a tube of 3 (Tahitian) vanilla beans for $5.25. Thats through a
food buying co-op - that gets them from Frontier Natural Products Co-op.
www.frontiercoop.com
Thats a wholesale price. But check it out.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:09:48 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost
>> of between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>>
>> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes
>> shop that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49
>> for _one_ bean.
>>
>> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
>> vanilla beans.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Here you are, 9 to 11 beans $4.95
> http://tiny.cc/prwo8

Any comments - thank you very much, btw - on the origin of the vanilla?
I ask because your link is to vanilla from Tahiti. I heard Madagascar
mentioned most often as source.

Unless there is something _wrong_ with vanilla from Tahiti, I will order
from the link you provided.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote:

>>Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>>beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
>>between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.

There is no longer any reason to use vanilla beans or extract when
preparing any dish in which it gets heated. Modern chemistry for at
least twenty years has produced imitation vanilla that no human can
tell from natural vanilla... save your money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Steve Freides" wrote:
>>> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>>> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
>>> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.

> There is no longer any reason to use vanilla beans or extract when
> preparing any dish in which it gets heated. Modern chemistry for at
> least twenty years has produced imitation vanilla that no human can
> tell from natural vanilla... save your money.

You can't tell the difference. People with better taste buds can.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.

If you want one bean, you get to pay a premium. If you want lots of
beans, go to Ebay.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2010 3:09 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.

Penzeys online wants 7.25 for 3 or 28.65 for 15. Your choice of
Madagascar or Mexican. Don't know if they charge that same price in
their stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.

Penzey's Spices http://www,penzeys.com
has then in the catalog, both Mexican and Madagascar beans,
3 for $7.25.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Stu wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:09:48 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>>> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost
>>> of between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>>>
>>> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes
>>> shop that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49
>>> for _one_ bean.
>>>
>>> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
>>> vanilla beans.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -S-
>>>

>> Here you are, 9 to 11 beans $4.95
>> http://tiny.cc/prwo8

> Any comments - thank you very much, btw - on the origin of the vanilla?
> I ask because your link is to vanilla from Tahiti. I heard Madagascar
> mentioned most often as source.
>
> Unless there is something _wrong_ with vanilla from Tahiti, I will order
> from the link you provided.
>
> -S-

Vanilla beans/pods are the fruit of a species of orchid. Therefore they
will grow anywhere (tropical) where orchids grow.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:47:28 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Vanilla beans/pods are the fruit of a species of orchid. Therefore they
> will grow anywhere (tropical) where orchids grow.

They aren't easy to grow either. A friend who owns land up in the
mountains of Costa Rica tried and didn't become a vanilla farmer.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2010 9:09 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.

They must be magic beans. At the risk of sounding redundant - try eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/29c2lhj

I'm not sure what the heck I'd do with all those beans though...

> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:50:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:47:28 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>wrote:
>

>> Vanilla beans/pods are the fruit of a species of orchid. Therefore they
>> will grow anywhere (tropical) where orchids grow.

>They aren't easy to grow either. A friend who owns land up in the
>mountains of Costa Rica tried and didn't become a vanilla farmer.

I have been trying in my kitchen for 2 years. I do have a really
beautiful vanilla orchid plant, though.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in news:8aouvsF9q6U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
> between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
> that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
> bean.
>
> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
> vanilla beans.

Go to eBay. I bought some there..... about $24 for 250g IIRC. Which gave me
about 80 beans.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:50:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:47:28 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>wrote:
>

>> Vanilla beans/pods are the fruit of a species of orchid. Therefore they
>> will grow anywhere (tropical) where orchids grow.

>They aren't easy to grow either. A friend who owns land up in the
>mountains of Costa Rica tried and didn't become a vanilla farmer.

If you do not have the correct moth- which actually fertilizes the
vanilla orchid flower, it is almost impossible to get pods. Vanilla
from Tahiti grows very well here, but we do not have the moth. Lots
of potential vanilla growers have given it up.

The flower opens one day and you have 2 hours to do the deed.

Not easy and why Vanilla is so precious and pricey.

In the land of a million vanilla pollinating moths, it would be a
snap.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:14:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> A friend works for an orchid grower on the big island (Hawaii) and
> gave us a great tour and information about how one species does better
> at sea level near the ocean,where others do better "inland and uphill"
> just a little bit.
>
> There's a vanilla farm in Paauilo, HI. http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/

My friend is talking about retiring to Hawaii and buying a farm there.
I'll send the vanilla farm idea to her.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:31:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:14:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>wrote:
>
>> A friend works for an orchid grower on the big island (Hawaii) and
>> gave us a great tour and information about how one species does better
>> at sea level near the ocean,where others do better "inland and uphill"
>> just a little bit.
>>
>> There's a vanilla farm in Paauilo, HI. http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/

>My friend is talking about retiring to Hawaii and buying a farm there.
>I'll send the vanilla farm idea to her.

Vanilla in Hawaii is harder than you think. We do not have the insect
that pollinates the flower that results in a vanilla pod. Before you
encourage your friend to begin a vanilla farm, she better learn how to
hand pollinate.

That vanilla farm in Pauuilo has an expert pollinator or two, a family
of children who are home schooled and help with the farm (other
workers too, I think)and also, they have a restaurant where I think
they make a bit of their $. I have visited that vanilla farm.

I have tried to hand pollinate our happy vanilla orchid but have been
totally unsuccessful for over 10 years. Not one resulting vanilla pod!
Granted I haven't totally studied it, but I have tried.

Growing vanilla and having to hand pollinate each flower is not easy.

aloha,
Cea, coffee farmer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:40:22 -1000, pure kona >
wrote:

> Vanilla in Hawaii is harder than you think. We do not have the insect
> that pollinates the flower that results in a vanilla pod. Before you
> encourage your friend to begin a vanilla farm, she better learn how to
> hand pollinate.
>
> That vanilla farm in Pauuilo has an expert pollinator or two, a family
> of children who are home schooled and help with the farm (other
> workers too, I think)and also, they have a restaurant where I think
> they make a bit of their $. I have visited that vanilla farm.
>
> I have tried to hand pollinate our happy vanilla orchid but have been
> totally unsuccessful for over 10 years. Not one resulting vanilla pod!
> Granted I haven't totally studied it, but I have tried.
>
> Growing vanilla and having to hand pollinate each flower is not easy.

It turned out she knows that already, but she's checking the link
anyway.

I'd noticed an orchid in her kitchen window, but never commented.
Turns out it's a vanilla orchid. Her husband's cousin used to be the
editor of Orchid magazine and he's a well known orchid horticulturist,
so she knows about the hand pollination part... but hasn't seen any
flowers to pollinate in two years. I'll let her know about your 10
year sojourn. Darn. Up to this point, I was thinking it might be fun
to cultivate a vanilla orchid.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:53:08 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:40:22 -1000, pure kona >
>wrote:
>>

>It turned out she knows that already, but she's checking the link
>anyway.
>
>I'd noticed an orchid in her kitchen window, but never commented.
>Turns out it's a vanilla orchid. Her husband's cousin used to be the
>editor of Orchid magazine and he's a well known orchid horticulturist,
>so she knows about the hand pollination part... but hasn't seen any
>flowers to pollinate in two years. I'll let her know about your 10
>year sojourn. Darn. Up to this point, I was thinking it might be fun
>to cultivate a vanilla orchid.

Well likely she has a better chance than I. Perhaps she should
practice on her kitchen vanilla. The rules, as I remember them, are
the day the flower opens, you have between 10 am and noon, to get it
pollinated.

I did want people to be cautious because I have seen 2 large vanilla
orchid "farms" of friends, go to weeds here in Kona. Sounds easy and
vanilla grows so well here- circling all of my tree ferns and just so
healthy, but despite the health and adequate flowers-through my
attempts and that of a friend- no pod ever.

BTW we have the Tahitian vanilla growing here and it has its special
moth in Tahiti.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ordered yesterday, thanks again.

-S-

Stu wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:09:48 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>> beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost
>> of between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>>
>> I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes
>> shop that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49
>> for _one_ bean.
>>
>> Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
>> vanilla beans.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Here you are, 9 to 11 beans $4.95
> http://tiny.cc/prwo8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2010 7:58 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Ordered yesterday, thanks again.
>
> -S-
>> Here you are, 9 to 11 beans $4.95
>> http://tiny.cc/prwo8

Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:27:53 -1000, pure kona >
wrote:

> Well likely she has a better chance than I. Perhaps she should
> practice on her kitchen vanilla. The rules, as I remember them, are
> the day the flower opens, you have between 10 am and noon, to get it
> pollinated.
>
> I did want people to be cautious because I have seen 2 large vanilla
> orchid "farms" of friends, go to weeds here in Kona. Sounds easy and
> vanilla grows so well here- circling all of my tree ferns and just so
> healthy, but despite the health and adequate flowers-through my
> attempts and that of a friend- no pod ever.

I was the one with stars in my eyes, not her. They already own three
seed corn farms in Iowa, pretty much know how farming goes and farm
for a profit.

> BTW we have the Tahitian vanilla growing here and it has its special
> moth in Tahiti.

Too bad some Hawaiian moth hasn't asked where the vanilla orchid has
been all its life.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 7/22/2010 7:58 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Ordered yesterday, thanks again.
>>
>> -S-
>>> Here you are, 9 to 11 beans $4.95
>>> http://tiny.cc/prwo8

> Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?
>
> Becca

No plans right now, will decide when the beans get here. Just wanted to
try something with vanilla beans. Maybe we'll try making ice cream but
we'll have to get an ice cream maker first.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 12:28 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?
>> Becca
>>

> No plans right now, will decide when the beans get here. Just wanted to
> try something with vanilla beans. Maybe we'll try making ice cream but
> we'll have to get an ice cream maker first.
>
> -S-

Ice cream is always a good choice. 1 Sale a Day has a Cuisinart ice
cream maker on sale. It is good today only. I do not own one so I
don't know if this is a good one or not.

http://family.1saleaday.com/

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 12:28 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>
>>> Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?
>>> Becca
>>>

>> No plans right now, will decide when the beans get here. Just wanted to
>> try something with vanilla beans. Maybe we'll try making ice cream but
>> we'll have to get an ice cream maker first.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Ice cream is always a good choice. 1 Sale a Day has a Cuisinart ice
> cream maker on sale. It is good today only. I do not own one so I
> don't know if this is a good one or not.
>
> http://family.1saleaday.com/

I guess it's been about 5 years since I bought my Cuisinart Ice Cream
maker, and I have not bought ice cream since then. I make all my own ice
cream, gelato and sherbet. As a matter of fact, I just finished making a
batch of chocolate ice cream base. It is just cooling off on the counter
and in an hour or so I will stick it in the fridge and then freeze it up
first thing in the morning.

I started off with a 1-1/2 qt model. My mother wanted to get one two.
Between having enjoyed my products and being house bound and relying on
grocery delivery, it was better for her to make it than to buy it. When
she died her 2 qt machine came to live with me.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:14:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I started off with a 1-1/2 qt model. My mother wanted to get one two.
> Between having enjoyed my products and being house bound and relying on
> grocery delivery, it was better for her to make it than to buy it. When
> she died her 2 qt machine came to live with me.
>

> http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html

Do you have to freeze the bowl first or is it self contained?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:14:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I started off with a 1-1/2 qt model. My mother wanted to get one two.
>> Between having enjoyed my products and being house bound and relying on
>> grocery delivery, it was better for her to make it than to buy it. When
>> she died her 2 qt machine came to live with me.
>>

>> http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html

> Do you have to freeze the bowl first or is it self contained?

The bowl has to sit in the freezer for at least two days before use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 12:28 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>
>>> Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?
>>> Becca
>>>

>> No plans right now, will decide when the beans get here. Just
>> wanted to try something with vanilla beans. Maybe we'll try making
>> ice cream but we'll have to get an ice cream maker first.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Ice cream is always a good choice. 1 Sale a Day has a Cuisinart ice
> cream maker on sale. It is good today only. I do not own one so I
> don't know if this is a good one or not.
>
> http://family.1saleaday.com/
>
> Becca

Thank you, just ordered.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/23/2010 07:14 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Becca wrote:

>> Ice cream is always a good choice. 1 Sale a Day has a Cuisinart ice
>> cream maker on sale. It is good today only. I do not own one so I
>> don't know if this is a good one or not.
>>
>> http://family.1saleaday.com/
>>
>> Becca

> Thank you, just ordered.

This is the one I own (it was a gift). I love it.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: 12 Intimidating Foods I Want to Learn to Make
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:28:43 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>> On 7/22/2010 7:58 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>> Ordered yesterday, thanks again.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> Please tell us, what are your plans for the vanilla beans?
>>
>> Becca

> No plans right now, will decide when the beans get here. Just wanted to
> try something with vanilla beans. Maybe we'll try making ice cream but
> we'll have to get an ice cream maker first.
>
> -S-

that's what i would call planning ahead.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Holy Toledo! We were in the local Whole Foods market today - vanilla
>beans are sold _one_ at a time, in glass or plastic jars, at a cost of
>between $6 and $12 - that's for one freakin' bean.
>
>I called a store not too far from here, a huge place we sometimes shop
>that has fabulous prices and usually sells in quantity - $4.49 for _one_
>bean.
>
>Yowser! I'd love both an explanation and a source for less expensive
>vanilla beans.

Maybe a bit late for you - but have you checked eBay? We bought a kilo
(I think?) of pods through eBay - it was by far the best deal we could
find anywhere on the web. For us in Australia at least.

Made an extract and it lasted months, despite my rampant abuse of said
extract

BTW: I took the leftover pulp (after making the second extract from
the pods) and put it through my juicer, which is of the worm drive
type, so it's pretty efficient. Got about two more cups of extract out
of the pulp - is a little grittier but tastes much the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:06:02 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> Maybe a bit late for you - but have you checked eBay? We bought a kilo
> (I think?) of pods through eBay - it was by far the best deal we could
> find anywhere on the web. For us in Australia at least.
>
> Made an extract and it lasted months, despite my rampant abuse of said
> extract
>
> BTW: I took the leftover pulp (after making the second extract from
> the pods) and put it through my juicer, which is of the worm drive
> type, so it's pretty efficient. Got about two more cups of extract out
> of the pulp - is a little grittier but tastes much the same.

I haven't been interested enough in this subject to look at internet
prices before this, but http://www.beanilla.com/ sells the pods

3 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $3.45
5 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $4.50
5 - Tahitian Vanilla Beans $5.99 marked down to $4.99
10 - Mexican Vanilla Beans $24.95 marked down to $14.95

There are more vanilla bean deals on the site, plus vanilla powder,
vanilla extract and vanilla paste (I may even buy their vanilla paste
if I can't find it locally... because it looks interesting). I see
it's a "sometimes" item at Trader Joe's. I don't know if TJ carries
it at this date or not.

There were other internet sites... but expensive
http://www.glenbrookfarm.com/store/vanillastore.html
http://www.amadeusvanillabeans.com/
etc.

About vanilla paste
http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/0...ean-paste.html

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:28:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:06:02 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Maybe a bit late for you - but have you checked eBay? We bought a kilo
>> (I think?) of pods through eBay - it was by far the best deal we could
>> find anywhere on the web. For us in Australia at least.
>>
>> Made an extract and it lasted months, despite my rampant abuse of said
>> extract
>>
>> BTW: I took the leftover pulp (after making the second extract from
>> the pods) and put it through my juicer, which is of the worm drive
>> type, so it's pretty efficient. Got about two more cups of extract out
>> of the pulp - is a little grittier but tastes much the same.

>I haven't been interested enough in this subject to look at internet
>prices before this, but http://www.beanilla.com/ sells the pods
>
>3 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $3.45
>5 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $4.50
>5 - Tahitian Vanilla Beans $5.99 marked down to $4.99
>10 - Mexican Vanilla Beans $24.95 marked down to $14.95
>
>There are more vanilla bean deals on the site, plus vanilla powder,
>vanilla extract and vanilla paste (I may even buy their vanilla paste
>if I can't find it locally... because it looks interesting). I see
>it's a "sometimes" item at Trader Joe's. I don't know if TJ carries
>it at this date or not.
>
>There were other internet sites... but expensive
>http://www.glenbrookfarm.com/store/vanillastore.html
>http://www.amadeusvanillabeans.com/
>etc.
>
>About vanilla paste
>http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/0...ean-paste.html

If it matters- As a farmer who sells a product, I would suggest that
the cheapest vanilla bean may not be the best. Consider the age of
the vanilla pod, because some very old ones may have far less existing
vanillin (or whatever its called). Or maybe were not stored well,etc.
There is a reason for the difference of price, imho.

It is just difficult to produce vanilla except in far away countries
where farming practices are not covered by the USDA.

Thanks.

aloha,
Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:25:59 -1000, pure kona >
wrote:

> If it matters- As a farmer who sells a product, I would suggest that
> the cheapest vanilla bean may not be the best. Consider the age of
> the vanilla pod, because some very old ones may have far less existing
> vanillin (or whatever its called). Or maybe were not stored well,etc.
> There is a reason for the difference of price, imho.

The feedback from customers for the vendor whose prices I quoted was
all positive on Chowhound.

> It is just difficult to produce vanilla except in far away countries
> where farming practices are not covered by the USDA.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pure kona > wrote in
:

> If it matters- As a farmer who sells a product, I would suggest that
> the cheapest vanilla bean may not be the best. Consider the age of
> the vanilla pod, because some very old ones may have far less existing
> vanillin (or whatever its called). Or maybe were not stored well,etc.
> There is a reason for the difference of price, imho.
>
> It is just difficult to produce vanilla except in far away countries
> where farming practices are not covered by the USDA.

I would have thought (on the age thing) that because the bean has been
'cured' and dried, it'd be viable for many years.

I have read that the only thing that will affect a dried bean is mold, if
you live in the sub-tropics etc.

I also read that even if your bean dries out more, it's still viable as
all you have to do is soak it in liquid (milk or vodka spring to mind) to
plump them up again.

I bought 250g of beans off eBay quite some time back, and the beans I have
remaining are still quite pungent and have no signs of deterioration. I
have them stored in the original plastic packaging, in my pantry.

I have also sent several lots of beans over to various people in the
States...... as well as some of the homemade vanilla/vodka extract I made.

The beans I bought were Madagascan, and for the amount, were quite cheap.

I just wouldn't buy any *extract* from Mexico, or Haiti.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote:

> I would have thought (on the age thing) that because the bean has been
> 'cured' and dried, it'd be viable for many years.
>
> I have read that the only thing that will affect a dried bean is
> mold, if you live in the sub-tropics etc.
>
> I also read that even if your bean dries out more, it's still viable
> as all you have to do is soak it in liquid (milk or vodka spring to
> mind) to plump them up again.

I wonder if this differs from one kind of bean to another, e.g., coffee
beans are generally considered to have a shelf life of about a year
before you roast them.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2010 6:25 AM, pure kona wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:28:12 -0700, > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:06:02 +1000, > wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a bit late for you - but have you checked eBay? We bought a kilo
>>> (I think?) of pods through eBay - it was by far the best deal we could
>>> find anywhere on the web. For us in Australia at least.
>>>
>>> Made an extract and it lasted months, despite my rampant abuse of said
>>> extract
>>>
>>> BTW: I took the leftover pulp (after making the second extract from
>>> the pods) and put it through my juicer, which is of the worm drive
>>> type, so it's pretty efficient. Got about two more cups of extract out
>>> of the pulp - is a little grittier but tastes much the same.

>> I haven't been interested enough in this subject to look at internet
>> prices before this, but http://www.beanilla.com/ sells the pods
>>
>> 3 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $3.45
>> 5 - Bourbon Vanilla Beans $4.50
>> 5 - Tahitian Vanilla Beans $5.99 marked down to $4.99
>> 10 - Mexican Vanilla Beans $24.95 marked down to $14.95
>>
>> There are more vanilla bean deals on the site, plus vanilla powder,
>> vanilla extract and vanilla paste (I may even buy their vanilla paste
>> if I can't find it locally... because it looks interesting). I see
>> it's a "sometimes" item at Trader Joe's. I don't know if TJ carries
>> it at this date or not.
>>
>> There were other internet sites... but expensive
>> http://www.glenbrookfarm.com/store/vanillastore.html
>> http://www.amadeusvanillabeans.com/
>> etc.
>>
>> About vanilla paste
>> http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/0...ean-paste.html

> If it matters- As a farmer who sells a product, I would suggest that
> the cheapest vanilla bean may not be the best. Consider the age of
> the vanilla pod, because some very old ones may have far less existing
> vanillin (or whatever its called). Or maybe were not stored well,etc.
> There is a reason for the difference of price, imho.

My guess is that you're right about age being a factor. The problem is
that information about how long the vanilla pods have been warehoused is
not available to most consumers. You can call and ask and my guess is
they'll tell you that it's fresh but I wouldn't place much faith in a
supplier's word. I think your best bet is to go with a supplier that you
think, seems to move a lot of product. My guess is that the stuff you
find at your Safeway might be on the old side.

I got a 40 pod assortment of beans from Madagascar and Papua new Guinea
in grades A and B for $14 on eBay. They look/smell fine but wadda I know
about vanilla pods? :-)

> It is just difficult to produce vanilla except in far away countries
> where farming practices are not covered by the USDA.
>
> Thanks.
>
> aloha,
> Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in news:8be7mcFc50U1
@mid.individual.net:

> PL wrote:
>
>> I would have thought (on the age thing) that because the bean has been
>> 'cured' and dried, it'd be viable for many years.
>>
>> I have read that the only thing that will affect a dried bean is
>> mold, if you live in the sub-tropics etc.
>>
>> I also read that even if your bean dries out more, it's still viable
>> as all you have to do is soak it in liquid (milk or vodka spring to
>> mind) to plump them up again.

> I wonder if this differs from one kind of bean to another, e.g., coffee
> beans are generally considered to have a shelf life of about a year
> before you roast them.

The coffee bean is 'raw'..... until it's roasted.