Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default NYC Restaurants

Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went to
NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. What's the 411? I
figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek) here,
that I would ask.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:03:20 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went to
>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
>duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. What's the 411? I
>figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek) here,
>that I would ask.
>-ginny

The original one is long, long gone and anything that might have
opened with its name would was not the same and is gone, too..

When I got to NYC in 1971, I stayed around the block from the theater
where I was working and was in a hotel that faced Mama Leone's. It was
fun, it was boisterous, it had more than passable linguini and
eggplant parmigiana. Was it the Italian equivalent of haute cuisine?
Nah, but a good time was had by all.

It was also the basis of one of the most amusing little publicity/puff
pieces I ever saw (in either the Daily News or the NY Post). In those
days, there were columns that wrote up events and little info bits
about clubs and restaurants in the area. There might be 10 or 15
places mentioned in an article talking about renovations or some
singer who was appearing or a new dish being introduced, and each
paragraph that introduced a place put the name of it in bold letters .

Well, some typesetter put in the following, either by accident or
deliberately - what is within the ** ** below is what was in bold in
the article.....

**Mama Leone's Can** because of its enormous size, accommodate large
groups of diners. Call...blah blah blah for information.

That page of the paper is stored away in a box in the basement along
with all sorts of other nutty things I'd see and save.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went
>>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
>>duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
>>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. What's the 411? I
>>figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
>>here,
>>that I would ask.
>>-ginny
>>

> The original one is long, long gone and anything that might have
> opened with its name would was not the same and is gone, too..
>
> When I got to NYC in 1971, I stayed around the block from the theater
> where I was working and was in a hotel that faced Mama Leone's. It was
> fun, it was boisterous, it had more than passable linguini and
> eggplant parmigiana. Was it the Italian equivalent of haute cuisine?
> Nah, but a good time was had by all.

While we're on the subject of NYC, Marci and I are heading up there for the
weekend for our 5th anniversary at the end of the month. We have a
reservation for Saturday evening at the eatery at our hotel, but haven't
nailed down anything for Friday night or Sunday Brunch. We're probably going
to search out some music to listen to (Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Western Swing)
after dinner.

Recommendations? Any 'Knew Yawkers' in the group?

TIA,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:03:20 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went to
>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
>duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere.

Mama Leone's was mostly known for its lavish Italian Renaissance
decor, beyond grotesque, their food was no better or worse than Olive
Garden. I ate there some half dozen times in the 50s because my then
girlfriend's parents loved going there prior to a Broadway show...
naturally they picked up the tab.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> >>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went
> >>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
> >>duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
> >>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. What's the 411? I
> >>figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
> >>here,
> >>that I would ask.
> >>-ginny
> >>

> > The original one is long, long gone and anything that might have
> > opened with its name would was not the same and is gone, too..
> >
> > When I got to NYC in 1971, I stayed around the block from the theater
> > where I was working and was in a hotel that faced Mama Leone's. It was
> > fun, it was boisterous, it had more than passable linguini and
> > eggplant parmigiana. Was it the Italian equivalent of haute cuisine?
> > Nah, but a good time was had by all.

> While we're on the subject of NYC, Marci and I are heading up there for the
> weekend for our 5th anniversary at the end of the month. We have a
> reservation for Saturday evening at the eatery at our hotel, but haven't
> nailed down anything for Friday night or Sunday Brunch. We're probably going
> to search out some music to listen to (Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Western Swing)
> after dinner.
>
> Recommendations? Any 'Knew Yawkers' in the group?
>
> TIA,
> Jon

No music that I'm aware of but I love Vivolo on the Upper East Side.
And I loved Ouest.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

> girlfriend's parents loved going there prior to a Broadway show...
> naturally they picked up the tab.

So you were a cheapskate freeloading schnorrer even then? Color me
unsurprised.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
| Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:
|
| > girlfriend's parents loved going there prior to a Broadway show...
| > naturally they picked up the tab.
|
| So you were a cheapskate freeloading schnorrer even then? Color me
| unsurprised.

Well I am Shocked. Simply Shocked.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > The original one is long, long gone and anything that might have
>> > opened with its name would was not the same and is gone, too..
>> >
>> > When I got to NYC in 1971, I stayed around the block from the theater
>> > where I was working and was in a hotel that faced Mama Leone's. It was
>> > fun, it was boisterous, it had more than passable linguini and
>> > eggplant parmigiana. Was it the Italian equivalent of haute cuisine?
>> > Nah, but a good time was had by all.

>> While we're on the subject of NYC, Marci and I are heading up there for
>> the
>> weekend for our 5th anniversary at the end of the month. We have a
>> reservation for Saturday evening at the eatery at our hotel, but haven't
>> nailed down anything for Friday night or Sunday Brunch. We're probably
>> going
>> to search out some music to listen to (Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Western Swing)
>> after dinner.
>>
>> Recommendations? Any 'Knew Yawkers' in the group?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jon

> No music that I'm aware of but I love Vivolo on the Upper East Side.
> And I loved Ouest.

Thanks Barb. I will look them up. I've heard of Ouest, and I'm very
interested in trying that.

Regards,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > No music that I'm aware of but I love Vivolo on the Upper East Side.
> > And I loved Ouest.
> >

> Thanks Barb. I will look them up. I've heard of Ouest, and I'm very
> interested in trying that.
>
> Regards,
> Jon

Ouest served a really yummy sauce (for dipping bread?) -- I cannot
recall its name but found recipes for it online when I COULD recall the
name. I think it had cilantro and garlic. One of those things I
couldn't stop eating. Dang! I wonder if Margaret would remember.
Its name had a real guttural sound when you said it. Dang!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > No music that I'm aware of but I love Vivolo on the Upper East Side.
> > > And I loved Ouest.
> > >

> > Thanks Barb. I will look them up. I've heard of Ouest, and I'm very
> > interested in trying that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jon

> Ouest served a really yummy sauce (for dipping bread?) -- I cannot
> recall its name but found recipes for it online when I COULD recall the
> name. I think it had cilantro and garlic. One of those things I
> couldn't stop eating. Dang! I wonder if Margaret would remember.
> Its name had a real guttural sound when you said it. Dang!

Okay, the stuff is called schug or schoog. It finally came to me. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Any one remember Jack Dempseys Steak House nearTimes Square ?

Is it still there?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:03:20 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went to
>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. Had
>duck l'orange, was not impressed. Is it still there? I heard it closed,
>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. What's the 411? I
>figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek) here,
>that I would ask.
>-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

>> Ouest served a really yummy sauce (for dipping bread?) -- I cannot
>> recall its name but found recipes for it online when I COULD recall the
>> name. I think it had cilantro and garlic. One of those things I
>> couldn't stop eating. Dang! I wonder if Margaret would remember.
>> Its name had a real guttural sound when you said it. Dang!

> Okay, the stuff is called schug or schoog. It finally came to me. :-)

Are you sure? Because schug as I've seen it is quite spicy. Here's a recipe:

Schug
(Yemeni Hot Green Chili Chutney)

1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only (about 2 cups)
1 small head of garlic (8 cloves), peeled
1 tablespoon salt
6 ounces fresh hot green chili, seeded
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons ground cuminseed
4 cardamon pods, seeds only, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 whole cloves, broken up

Process all the ingredients to a relatively smooth paste. Store
in a jar with a tight cover. Refrigerate. Use in cooking as well
as for a table condiment.

(Lin and I had schug as one of the condiments for roast beef at our wedding
reception.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Are you sure? Because schug as I've seen it is quite spicy. Here's a recipe:

I've had it with parsley and tomatoes as well as the ingredients in your
recipe. It's good on absolutely everything! I think I might even consider
trying it on ice cream. *grin*

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> >> Ouest served a really yummy sauce (for dipping bread?) -- I cannot
> >> recall its name but found recipes for it online when I COULD recall the
> >> name. I think it had cilantro and garlic. One of those things I
> >> couldn't stop eating. Dang! I wonder if Margaret would remember.
> >> Its name had a real guttural sound when you said it. Dang!

> > Okay, the stuff is called schug or schoog. It finally came to me. :-)

> Are you sure? Because schug as I've seen it is quite spicy. Here's a recipe:
>
> Schug
> (Yemeni Hot Green Chili Chutney)

(particulars snipped)
> Bob

Am I sure what? That it was schug? I'm sure. Yes, it was spicy * I
don't think I said it was not. And I couldn't stop eating it. :-)
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>Am I sure what? That it was schug? I'm sure. Yes, it was spicy * I
>don't think I said it was not. And I couldn't stop eating it. :-)

I lived on humus and schug while visiting Israel, since I didn't care much for
the grilled meat I encountered. I did, however, adore these little fish called
barbunias. Does anyone know what they're called in English or how they could be
obtained in the U.S.? Also, what do Israelis mean by Iraqi bread?

Thanks,
Orlando

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 22, 9:14 am, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >Am I sure what? That it was schug? I'm sure. Yes, it was spicy * I
> >don't think I said it was not. And I couldn't stop eating it. :-)

> I lived on humus and schug while visiting Israel, since I didn't care much for
> the grilled meat I encountered. I did, however, adore these little fish called
> barbunias. Does anyone know what they're called in English or how they could be
> obtained in the U.S.? Also, what do Israelis mean by Iraqi bread?

Barbunia, also spelled barbounia, is usually known here in the U.S. as
red mullet. Found on Greek restaurant menus in our experience. My
fishmonger has never had it, but I'm sure it can be found somewhere.
Aren't you the NYC restaurant expert? There is a restaurant named
Barbounias on Park Avenue that gets good reviews for it's seafood. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:
>Barbunia, also spelled barbounia, is usually known here in the U.S. as
>red mullet. Found on Greek restaurant menus in our experience. My
>fishmonger has never had it, but I'm sure it can be found somewhere.

Many thanks. I didn't realize it was a pan-Mediterranean fish.

>Aren't you the NYC restaurant expert?

Not at all. I've never claimed to be. For one, I've lived away from NYC for ten
years. For another, I don't keep restaurant data in my head. When I want to
find a good place to eat, I know where to look and how to compare data before
making a choice. I also have good instinct when in spontaneous situations.

>There is a restaurant named Barbounias on Park Avenue that gets good reviews

for it's seafood. -

I have a hunch that, given its location, I won't be able to afford it any time
soon. But thanks for the recommendation.

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 2:51*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> >>Back in the Stone Age, when I was in college (the summer of '80) we went
> >>NYC and had dinner at Mama Leone's of fame and Billy Joel's singing. * Had
> >>duck l'orange, was not impressed. *Is it still there? I heard it closed,
> >>then reopened, then closed and is now open elsewhere. * What's the 411? I
> >>figured there were so many 'experts' (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
> >>here,
> >>that I would ask.
> >>-ginny

> > The original one is long, long gone and anything that might have
> > opened with its name would was not *the same and is gone, too..

> > When I got to NYC in 1971, I stayed around the block from the theater
> > where I was working and was in a hotel that faced Mama Leone's. It was
> > fun, it was boisterous, *it had more than passable linguini and
> > eggplant parmigiana. Was it the Italian equivalent of haute cuisine?
> > Nah, but a good time was had by all.

> While we're on the subject of NYC, Marci and I are heading up there for the
> weekend for our 5th anniversary at the end of the month. We have a
> reservation for Saturday evening at the eatery at our hotel, but haven't
> nailed down anything for Friday night or Sunday Brunch. We're probably going
> to search out some music to listen to (Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Western Swing)
> after dinner.
>
> Recommendations? Any 'Knew Yawkers' in the group?
>
> TIA,
> Jon- Hide quoted text -

Just don't go to any Jewish, Russian or French places or the thought
police will get you...

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

>>> Okay, the stuff is called schug or schoog. It finally came to me. :-)

>> Are you sure? Because schug as I've seen it is quite spicy. Here's a
>> recipe:
>>
>> Schug
>> (Yemeni Hot Green Chili Chutney)

> (particulars snipped)
>> Bob

> Am I sure what? That it was schug? I'm sure. Yes, it was spicy * I
> don't think I said it was not. And I couldn't stop eating it. :-)

Well, okay then! I just thought that if it was spicy you would have
mentioned it. My mistake.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> >> Are you sure? Because schug as I've seen it is quite spicy. Here's a
> >> recipe:
> >>
> >> Schug
> >> (Yemeni Hot Green Chili Chutney)

> > (particulars snipped)
> >> Bob

> > Am I sure what? That it was schug? I'm sure. Yes, it was spicy * I
> > don't think I said it was not. And I couldn't stop eating it. :-)

> Well, okay then! I just thought that if it was spicy you would have
> mentioned it. My mistake.
>
> Bob

'sokay, Sonny. It's not a hanging offense. ;-)