Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default frozen pizza dough

I made twice the amount of dough the last time I made pizza and froze
the leftovers. I let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and
noticed it was not rising, so I left it there another day. Still
nothing, so I put it out on the counter for a few hours. It
definitely wasn't dead because I saw yeast holes but it didn't have
any significant oomph to it either. I went ahead and made pizza with
it last night and the crust was fantastic! Very crispy. It was easy
to roll & stretch thin and I even got a couple of bubbles on the edge
of the finished pizzas, which is a big plus for me. However, if I had
intended that dough to be bread in the end, the way I'd intended
before, it would have been another colossal failure. Conclusion:
frozen pizza dough is OK - but I will not try freezing bread dough
again because my thawed dough does not rise properly.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I made twice the amount of dough the last time I made pizza and froze
> the leftovers. I let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and
> noticed it was not rising, so I left it there another day. Still
> nothing, so I put it out on the counter for a few hours. It
> definitely wasn't dead because I saw yeast holes but it didn't have
> any significant oomph to it either. I went ahead and made pizza with
> it last night and the crust was fantastic! Very crispy. It was easy
> to roll & stretch thin and I even got a couple of bubbles on the edge
> of the finished pizzas, which is a big plus for me. However, if I had
> intended that dough to be bread in the end, the way I'd intended
> before, it would have been another colossal failure. Conclusion:
> frozen pizza dough is OK - but I will not try freezing bread dough
> again because my thawed dough does not rise properly.
>
> --

I'm not going to say this was a collosal failure I'm going to say you
probably shouldn't have let it thaw in the refrigerator. I think you should
have let the dough thaw completely, covered with a loose cotton towel (at
room temp if it's warm or of hot water if it's cool in the room). It may
have taken 8-12 hours for frozen dough to thaw and rise properly It's been
a long time since I made thick crust pizza dough but I do remember letting
it rise. Don't give up too soon.

Sometimes I like crispy pizza

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2010 12:57 PM, sf wrote:

> I made twice the amount of dough the last time I made pizza and froze
> the leftovers. I let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and
> noticed it was not rising, so I left it there another day. Still
> nothing, so I put it out on the counter for a few hours. It
> definitely wasn't dead because I saw yeast holes but it didn't have
> any significant oomph to it either. I went ahead and made pizza with
> it last night and the crust was fantastic! Very crispy. It was easy
> to roll& stretch thin and I even got a couple of bubbles on the edge
> of the finished pizzas, which is a big plus for me. However, if I had
> intended that dough to be bread in the end, the way I'd intended
> before, it would have been another colossal failure. Conclusion:
> frozen pizza dough is OK - but I will not try freezing bread dough
> again because my thawed dough does not rise properly.

Back in the "long ago" when I was going to college, I would buy 10
loaves of frozen bread dough for $1 at the bread outlet store. The
local market sold small cans of tomato sauce for 10 to 15 cents each...
and this was in Wisconsin, so the local cheese places had mozzarella
cheap. It was possible to put together a cheese pizza for less than $1.

Sometimes that bread dough got defrosted and turned into pretzels.
Funny how creative you can be when you are broke.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:37:47 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> Back in the "long ago" when I was going to college, I would buy 10
> loaves of frozen bread dough for $1 at the bread outlet store. The
> local market sold small cans of tomato sauce for 10 to 15 cents each...
> and this was in Wisconsin, so the local cheese places had mozzarella
> cheap. It was possible to put together a cheese pizza for less than $1.
>
> Sometimes that bread dough got defrosted and turned into pretzels.
> Funny how creative you can be when you are broke.

Sounds like you ate well, George. Necessity is the mother of
invention!

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:37:47 -0500, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> Back in the "long ago" when I was going to college, I would buy 10
>> loaves of frozen bread dough for $1 at the bread outlet store. The
>> local market sold small cans of tomato sauce for 10 to 15 cents each...
>> and this was in Wisconsin, so the local cheese places had mozzarella
>> cheap. It was possible to put together a cheese pizza for less than $1.
>>
>> Sometimes that bread dough got defrosted and turned into pretzels.
>> Funny how creative you can be when you are broke.

> Sounds like you ate well, George. Necessity is the mother of
> invention!

Indeed I don't mind frozen bread dough at all. I have some in the
freezer; I make it a couple of times a year. I have frozen roll dough, too.

I went through a phase where I baked my own bread, using my grandmother's
recipe and some other recipes. (All the recipes have been posted here in
years past.) The breads and rolls turned out great! But they were a lot
more work than I want to deal with most of the time. So when I do feel like
"fresh" bread, the raw frozen bread dough, raw frozen dinner rolls, raw
frozen biscuits... they work for me

Jill <--- never been a "baker"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sun 18 Jul 2010 07:05:19p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:37:47 -0500, George Leppla

>>> Sounds like you ate well, George. Necessity is the mother of
>>> invention!
>>>

>> Indeed I don't mind frozen bread dough at all. I have some in
>> the freezer; I make it a couple of times a year. I have frozen
>> roll dough, too.
>>
>> I went through a phase where I baked my own bread, using my
>> grandmother's recipe and some other recipes. (All the recipes
>> have been posted here in years past.) The breads and rolls turned
>> out great! But they were a lot more work than I want to deal with
>> most of the time. So when I do feel like "fresh" bread, the raw
>> frozen bread dough, raw frozen dinner rolls, raw frozen
>> biscuits... they work for me
>>
>> Jill <--- never been a "baker"
>>

> Unless there's something about the yeast dough itself (in some
> recipes), I have no qualms about using any of the frozen bread
> doughs.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

I freeze leftover pizza dough without a problem. It's important to let it
thaw completely to room temp, or slightly above. At that point poke the
dough with your finger, and it should bounce back a bit, indicating the
yeast is still active. Then proceed as you would.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:09:41 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

> I freeze leftover pizza dough without a problem. It's important to let it
> thaw completely to room temp, or slightly above. At that point poke the
> dough with your finger, and it should bounce back a bit, indicating the
> yeast is still active. Then proceed as you would.

Everybody has a different way to thaw the dough. ChrisD said to thaw
it in the refrigerator. I guess this really means that it doesn't
matter how the dough is thawed.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.