Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Half moon pie vs. turnover - what's the difference?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
> > They make good whoopie pies.

> Guess what, I was at the county fair this evening and there
> was an Amish booth selling baked goods. I don't think there
> are any Amish locally so I didn't expect to see that. Thanks
> to you, what did I buy? Whoopie pies!

Whoopie Pies are Amish? All this time I thought people were talking
about a commercial product in the Twinkie category.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Becca wrote:
>>
>>> They make good whoopie pies.

>> Guess what, I was at the county fair this evening and there
>> was an Amish booth selling baked goods. I don't think there
>> are any Amish locally so I didn't expect to see that. Thanks
>> to you, what did I buy? Whoopie pies!
>>

> Whoopie Pies are Amish? All this time I thought people were talking
> about a commercial product in the Twinkie category.

Are you thinking of Scooter Pies or Moon Pies? anyway,
google whoopie pies and you'll see what they are. I have never
seen them packaged and boxed up like Drakes or the like.

Only here, in the past month or so, have I seen that there's any
connection between them and the Amish.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:37:35 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > > wrote:

> >> Guess what, I was at the county fair this evening and there
> >> was an Amish booth selling baked goods. I don't think there
> >> are any Amish locally so I didn't expect to see that. Thanks
> >> to you, what did I buy? Whoopie pies!
> >>

> > Whoopie Pies are Amish? All this time I thought people were talking
> > about a commercial product in the Twinkie category.

> Are you thinking of Scooter Pies or Moon Pies?

Nope, haven't heard of those either. I'm talking about Whoopie Pie.
That's what you people were talking about wasn't it?

> anyway,
> google whoopie pies and you'll see what they are. I have never
> seen them packaged and boxed up like Drakes or the like.

Looks like a better tasting Oreo. We have It's It out here.
http://www.itsiticecream.com/

> Only here, in the past month or so, have I seen that there's any
> connection between them and the Amish.

You made the connection here so what was I to think?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 10:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>
>> Just be aware that they have a sweet tooth--you find massive
>> quantities of sugar in surprising places.

> Oh dear, that puts me right off then. I guess if I got my hands on some
> actual recipes, I guess it would have shown up.
>
> Now I shan't bother Thanks for that!

Whoa--I didn't say that _everything_ has massive quantities of sugar,
only that it shows up in surprising places. Look for it, be aware of
it, ask if you have to, and you won't have any problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> On 7/20/2010 6:43 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> sf wrote:
>>> They make these crazy good sticky buns in PA.

>> They make good whoopie pies.

> Guess what, I was at the county fair this evening and there
> was an Amish booth selling baked goods. I don't think there
> are any Amish locally so I didn't expect to see that. Thanks
> to you, what did I buy? Whoopie pies!
>
> nancy

How was it? I'm going to Philadelphia in a few weeks and I'm going to
get a cheesesteak and a whoopie pie.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 7:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>

>> Becca wrote:
>>

>>> They make good whoopie pies.
>>>

>> Guess what, I was at the county fair this evening and there
>> was an Amish booth selling baked goods. I don't think there
>> are any Amish locally so I didn't expect to see that. Thanks
>> to you, what did I buy? Whoopie pies!
>>

> Whoopie Pies are Amish? All this time I thought people were talking
> about a commercial product in the Twinkie category.

Here is a good photo of Whoopie Pies.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...hoopiePies.jpg

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2010 10:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Just be aware that they have a sweet tooth--you find massive
>>> quantities of sugar in surprising places.

>> Oh dear, that puts me right off then. I guess if I got my hands on some
>> actual recipes, I guess it would have shown up.
>>
>> Now I shan't bother Thanks for that!

> Whoa--I didn't say that _everything_ has massive quantities of sugar, only
> that it shows up in surprising places. Look for it, be aware of it, ask
> if you have to, and you won't have any problems.

Ahh ok I will bear that in mind)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0500, Becca > wrote:

> Here is a good photo of Whoopie Pies.
>
> http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...hoopiePies.jpg

I didn't know they were that big! They're filled with frosting? No
wonder Americans are so fat.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>
>> Here is a good photo of Whoopie Pies.
>>
>> http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...hoopiePies.jpg

> I didn't know they were that big! They're filled with frosting? No
> wonder Americans are so fat.

Yesterday you didn't know what they were, today you think
the rest of the country is eating Whoopie Pies by the dozen
every day? It's smaller than a piece of birthday cake.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:16:05 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> >
> >> Here is a good photo of Whoopie Pies.
> >>
> >> http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...hoopiePies.jpg

> > I didn't know they were that big! They're filled with frosting? No
> > wonder Americans are so fat.

> Yesterday you didn't know what they were, today you think
> the rest of the country is eating Whoopie Pies by the dozen
> every day? It's smaller than a piece of birthday cake.

I still can't figure out if they are home made or a commercial
product. Those looked home made. If they are home made, why are
people constantly buying them?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:16:05 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > I didn't know they were that big! They're filled with frosting? No
>> > wonder Americans are so fat.

>> Yesterday you didn't know what they were, today you think
>> the rest of the country is eating Whoopie Pies by the dozen
>> every day? It's smaller than a piece of birthday cake.
>>

> I still can't figure out if they are home made or a commercial
> product. Those looked home made. If they are home made, why are
> people constantly buying them?

http://www.whoopiepies.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sat 24 Jul 2010 11:05:12a, J. Clarke told us...

>>> Oh dear, that puts me right off then. I guess if I got my hands
>>> on some actual recipes, I guess it would have shown up.
>>>
>>> Now I shan't bother Thanks for that!

>> Whoa--I didn't say that _everything_ has massive quantities of
>> sugar, only that it shows up in surprising places. Look for it,
>> be aware of it, ask if you have to, and you won't have any
>> problems.
>>

> Well, it's highly unlikely that Ophelia is going to find an Amish
> restaurant or store in the UK, so she would probably be looking at
> Amish recipes, which would make any sweetening quite obvious.

Quite so!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/