Senior Member

Location: WI
Default Deal Alert

At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep an eye out. If you make Thai sweet chili sauce; it's the shizzle. Gotta use RW vinegar, though. I've tried it with several different vinegars and , you need rice wine vinegar to make it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gorio wrote:

> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep
> an eye out. If you make Thai sweet chili sauce; it's the shizzle. Gotta
> use RW vinegar, though. I've tried it with several different vinegars
> and , you need rice wine vinegar to make it.

I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
good things about?
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" wrote
Gorio wrote:

>> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
>> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep

> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such good
> things about?

Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a vinegar.
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:47:56 -0700, JL > wrote:

> Gorio wrote:
>
> > At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
> > vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep
> > an eye out. If you make Thai sweet chili sauce; it's the shizzle. Gotta
> > use RW vinegar, though. I've tried it with several different vinegars
> > and , you need rice wine vinegar to make it.

> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
> good things about?

Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:47:56 -0700, JL wrote:
>

> >Gorio wrote:
> >

> >>At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
> >>vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep
> >>an eye out. If you make Thai sweet chili sauce; it's the shizzle. Gotta
> >>use RW vinegar, though. I've tried it with several different vinegars
> >>and , you need rice wine vinegar to make it.

> >I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
> >good things about?

> Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
> http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin

Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:02:32 -0700, JL > wrote:

> Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
> various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
> bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
> befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

I usually buy the least expensive one I can find because I don't use
it often and end up replacing the bottle when I want to use it again.
AFAIK, it's not fortified and goes bad... just like any other wine.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshenk View Post
"JL" wrote
Gorio wrote:

At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep

I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such good
things about?

Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a vinegar.
;-)
Mirin is the wine, this stuff would be the vinegar obtained from "rice wine gone bad" as any vinegar is. Easy as heck to make your own vinegars. My knowledge of Asian goodies is limited. I just use this stuff for Thai sweet chili sauce.

Unfortunately, I've had a batch of wine go bad once; and I ended up with 5 gallons of vinegar. Great vinegar, though.

Kikkoman is made in Walworth, WI; so I wouldn't use the stuff for much beyond what I use it for. 50 centavos a bottle is the attraction, here.

10 oz bottle , it says distributed in San Fran (if your "SF" denotes your geography.) There will be a coupon on the neck of the bottle for $1.50.

My real name is Greg, by the way. Greg"orio", ya know? I go by Gorio in the Spanish speaking world.

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. Sheldon just needed the response he wnated. I don't use a ton of EVOO, since I've curtailed my Italian cooking. My latest fave is unfiltered sunflower oil. MMM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2010 4:37 PM, Gorio wrote:
> cshenk;1506179 Wrote:
>> "JL" wrote
>> Gorio wrote:
>> --
>> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
>> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle.
>> Keep--
>> -
>> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
>> good
>> things about?-
>>
>> Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a
>> vinegar.
>> ;-)

> Mirin is the wine, this stuff would be the vinegar obtained from "rice
> wine gone bad" as any vinegar is. Easy as heck to make your own
> vinegars. My knowledge of Asian goodies is limited. I just use this
> stuff for Thai sweet chili sauce.
>
> Unfortunately, I've had a batch of wine go bad once; and I ended up with
> 5 gallons of vinegar. Great vinegar, though.
>
> Kikkoman is made in Walworth, WI; so I wouldn't use the stuff for much
> beyond what I use it for. 50 centavos a bottle is the attraction, here.

I guess you wouldn't buy a Honda because it's made in Marysville, Ohio.
Kikkoman is a Japanese company that has roots going back more than 4
centuries. However they do not do all their production in Japan.

> 10 oz bottle , it says distributed in San Fran (if your "SF" denotes
> your geography.) There will be a coupon on the neck of the bottle for
> $1.50.
>
> My real name is Greg, by the way. Greg"orio", ya know? I go by Gorio in
> the Spanish speaking world.
>
> Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. Sheldon just needed the response he
> wnated. I don't use a ton of EVOO, since I've curtailed my Italian
> cooking. My latest fave is unfiltered sunflower oil. MMM.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Clarke View Post
On 7/18/2010 4:37 PM, Gorio wrote:
cshenk;1506179 Wrote:
"JL" wrote
Gorio wrote:
--
[...]

Wow! I wasn't aware that Kikko had such a history. I just know they brew their soy sauce (at least in the USA) in Walworth, WI. I like the soy and have slready used the rice vinegar, and it is very neutral compared to other vinegars. The rice wine bottle just says "distributed by:". I hate that. Tell me where the heck the stuff was made. You get this same shady citation/reference with olive oils.

Either way, the rice vinegar is good for the purpose of Thai sweet. All I care about at this stage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:57:37 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "JL" wrote
> Gorio wrote:
>
>>> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
>>> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle. Keep

>> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such good
>> things about?

> Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a vinegar.
> ;-)

and the taste is very, very different.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:02:32 -0700, JL wrote:

> sf wrote:

>>>I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
>>>good things about?

>> Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
>> http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin
>>

> Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
> various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
> bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
> befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

i think it would be a mistake to think of it as 'sweet wine.' it has a
pretty viscous consistency:

History of Mirin:
The use of mirin is said to have begun over 400 years ago. Although it was
used for drinking in the beginning, it has been used for only cooking since
it was made to be thicker and sweeter.

<http://japanesefood.about.com/od/saucecondiment/p/mirinprofile.htm>

i don't think drinking even a small glass would be appealing. it provides
a nice glaze for broiled meats, and is used in making teriaki sauce.

there's a little more dope he

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirin>

but the predominant taste is sweet, with a little alcohol note at the end,
so it will be very different than a rice vinegar.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:37:33 +0000, Gorio wrote:

> cshenk;1506179 Wrote:
>> "JL" wrote
>> Gorio wrote:
>> --
>> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
>> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle.
>> Keep--
>> -
>> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
>> good
>> things about?-
>>
>> Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a
>> vinegar.
>> ;-)

> Mirin is the wine, this stuff would be the vinegar obtained from "rice
> wine gone bad" as any vinegar is. Easy as heck to make your own
> vinegars. My knowledge of Asian goodies is limited. I just use this
> stuff for Thai sweet chili sauce.
>
> Unfortunately, I've had a batch of wine go bad once; and I ended up with
> 5 gallons of vinegar. Great vinegar, though.
>
> Kikkoman is made in Walworth, WI; so I wouldn't use the stuff for much
> beyond what I use it for. 50 centavos a bottle is the attraction, here.

kikkoman products are perfectly respectable (if expensive) in my opinion.
(i have come to prefer soy sauce from china, like pearl river bridge, but
that's a different style.) as far as i know, they use the same processes
and apply the same quality control as kikkoman in japan.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikkoman>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:02:32 -0700, JL wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> bottle. Keep

> Gotta

> >>Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
> >>http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin
> >>

> >Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
> >various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
> >bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
> >befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

> i think it would be a mistake to think of it as 'sweet wine.' it has a
> pretty viscous consistency:
>
> History of Mirin:
> The use of mirin is said to have begun over 400 years ago. Although it was
> used for drinking in the beginning, it has been used for only cooking
> since
> it was made to be thicker and sweeter.
>

> i don't think drinking even a small glass would be appealing. it provides
> a nice glaze for broiled meats, and is used in making teriaki sauce.
>
> there's a little more dope he
>

> but the predominant taste is sweet, with a little alcohol note at the end,
> so it will be very different than a rice vinegar.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I became an accidental but complete convert to rice flour

Sooo...ill give the rice wine (mirrin) a try, i dont like the Chinese
rice wine, but i have heard so many good things about the mirrin that im
curious to try it. I often use Japanese sake instead of the Chinese
rice wine.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:02:03 -0700, JL wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>> bottle. Keep

>> Gotta

>>>Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
>>>various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
>>>bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
>>>befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

>> i think it would be a mistake to think of it as 'sweet wine.' it has a
>> pretty viscous consistency:
>>
>> History of Mirin:
>> The use of mirin is said to have begun over 400 years ago. Although it was
>> used for drinking in the beginning, it has been used for only cooking
>> since
>> it was made to be thicker and sweeter.
>>

>> i don't think drinking even a small glass would be appealing. it provides
>> a nice glaze for broiled meats, and is used in making teriaki sauce.
>>
>> there's a little more dope he
>>

>> but the predominant taste is sweet, with a little alcohol note at the end,
>> so it will be very different than a rice vinegar.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I became an accidental but complete convert to rice flour
>
> Sooo...ill give the rice wine (mirrin) a try, i dont like the Chinese
> rice wine, but i have heard so many good things about the mirrin that im
> curious to try it. I often use Japanese sake instead of the Chinese
> rice wine.

by all means, give it a try. it's a useful thing to have in the pantry,
and it tastes good.

your pal,
blake